• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
No mention of Blanka bulge. Although I'm not expecting anything, didn't they try to do something at the last minute for Evo after the leak? If anything, they could tease something or reveal something small like a new stage. They wouldn't release something like a small balance patch right now, would they?

Last edited:

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Necalli is so weird, like, we still dont know what exactly IS he or what was Bison's plan for him, he just appears and jobs. I think both Bison and Necalli will be back in 6, and have something to do with Gill. Necalli especially, he could be the metaphorical Satan to Gill's metaphorical Jesus, and then Bison appears and KEIKAKU ACHIEVED or something and explains the plot. Street Fighter could use a touch up in the writing department.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is crazy how Lucia was a very niche character who no one cared about until recently.
Capcom did a really good job with her. She is really fun.

Makes me wonder how they would do some of the more forgotten character like that platinum blonde haired girl (the one that Karin has an outfit cosplay of) from SFA3 on the PSP and some others.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This weekend tournament is a super premier! And it's super fucking stacked. I'm hyped.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
isnt that pretty common the first month of a character releasing?
To achieve the #1 spot? No.
I checked real quick and only Sagat and Akuma did (Akuma actually took the #1 spot in his second month, although he came really close in his first). But they are fan favorites that weren't featured in the starting roster, so their popularity makes sense. Aside from them, only Kolin and Ed managed to make the top 3 in their first month.

So for a completely new character to be the most played character is quite impressive.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lucia's usage doesn't surprise me. Her moveset is very unpredictable in the hands of a good player. She frustrates me since I'm mainly a Ryu player.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chill out until N

Why would you speak this evil into existence?
e8f.gif

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
My fucking GOD this game needs a new defensive option. The lack of push back on some of the dumbest shit is infuriating.

I'll even take a marvel style command push back that gives the opponent a full stock of v meter if it means I can GET THEM THE FUCK OFF OF ME.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about making a thread about this, but something that I wonder about is the design philosophy behind invincible reversals. Which characters should have them? Which shouldn't?

In regards to SFV, I think it's odd. RTSD monsters like Rashid, Lucia, Karin or Necalli get to have them. But keepaway characters who get oppressed like Menat, Dhalsim or Poison do not. Why is that? Characters like Akuma, Guile, or Ken have them for legacy reasons. I can understand it, even if I don't inherently agree with the reasoning of a character having something simply "because they always had it."

I feel like this game wants the characters whose game plan is to fight at range to struggle big time when the opponent gets in. On the surface, it makes sense. If a character excels at keeping an opponent out, the opponent should be rewarded for finally getting in. But we all know this isn't how SFV works, and that things are lopsided in favor of those who rush down, not those who defend against it.

And on the other end, I don't quite understand why pressure characters need to also have tools to get opponents off them. I wonder what the philosophy behind that is. Maybe it's that the EX DPs are seen actually as an offensive tool more than a defensive one by the designers? I don't know if that makes sense.

I like games where literally every character has a DP.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Because Akuma NEEDS an ex dp. His +3 CC button, walk speed, damage, easy combos, come back power, empty fire ball cancel, and air fireballs can't carry him all by themselves.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Poison's EX Shocking Heel should be invincible imo, I'd trade its juggle utility for reversal status if it came down to it.

Honestly though, I'm excited to see what buffs she gets next season. She's already pretty solid, but a few nudges in the right direction could make her truly great.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Lucia's EX Hurricane is every bit as worse as Karin's. It barely have enough I frames and Zangief parry actually works on her.

USF4 already fix the issue with defensive option when every character has a meter invincible reversal.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy how Lucia was a very niche character who no one cared about until recently.
Capcom did a really good job with her. She is really fun.

Makes me wonder how they would do some of the more forgotten character like that platinum blonde haired girl (the one that Karin has an outfit cosplay of) from SFA3 on the PSP and some others.
No one forgot Ingrid so much as she really puts a bug up American players' asses.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This is the second time on this site I've seen someone use that response with me. Perhaps I should quit caring and just start being facetious with nearly everything I say.

Assuming that's not directed at me, I'll be stupid enough to answer seriously and say it's a combination of her design and her backstory, particularly how it was revised in SFA3 PSP, that led to that reaction in the US.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the second time on this site I've seen someone use that response with me. Perhaps I should quit caring and just start being facetious with nearly everything I say.

Assuming that's not directed at me, I'll be stupid enough to answer seriously and say it's a combination of her design and her backstory, particularly how it was revised in SFA3 PSP, that led to that reaction in the US.
I didn't mean anything against you by my post. I was just making fun of myself as I didn't know what happened with her so I apologize if it sounded as if I am attacking you or anything.

What I meant was what happened in the US because of her? Back when SFA3 Max came out and I bought it, I wasn't that into forums and the whole SF scene so I don't know anything about it.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Man it's even more impressive to know that Lucia was number 1 last month considering she came out at the same time as 2 other characters which is the first time that has happened.

I don't think it's a fluke either. She's not going to stay ahead of any of the Shoto's, but I think she'll remain in that top 10 or so probably for the rest of this games life.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean anything against you by my post. I was just making fun of myself as I didn't know what happened with her so I apologize if it sounded as if I am attacking you or anything.

What I meant was what happened in the US because of her? Back when SFA3 Max came out and I bought it, I wasn't that into forums and the whole SF scene so I don't know anything about it.
Other than being more anime in design sensibilities and arguably seeming more like a KoF character than an SF one aesthetically (not all that surprising given that she was designed by SNK artist Senri Kita), a lot of it was people being pissy about just how powerful she is canonically. This is up to and including being more powerful than Rose and Bison alike as basically a physical goddess, with SFA3 Max establishing Bison's Psycho Power as having been stolen from her (it would more or less mean that Rose's good-aligned Soul Power having represented the opposite side of the coin specifically is more in line with the sun-based power Ingrid uses compared to the the twisted manifestation that is Psycho Power).

If I were to be blunt, I don't see much difference between someone like her and Menat in terms of characterization, the difference being that the latter is an inexperienced apprentice to Rose rather than someone much more powerful and far older in spite of looking around the same age as characters like Menat, Sakura, or Karin.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than being more anime in design sensibilities and arguably seeming more like a KoF character than an SF one aesthetically (not all that surprising given that she was designed by SNK artist Senri Kita), a lot of it was people being pissy about just how powerful she is canonically. This is up to and including being higher tier than Rose and Bison alike, with SFA3 Max establishing Bison's Psycho Power as having been stolen from her (it would more or less mean that Rose's good-aligned Soul Power having represented the opposite side of the coin specifically is more in line with what Ingrid uses compared to the the twisted manifestation that is Psycho Power).
I see. Makes sense why she would result in that reaction.

Thanks for the explaination.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Makes sense why she would result in that reaction.

Thanks for the explaination.
No problem, and my apologies for the earlier misunderstanding.

If I were to add, her theme song back during her debut in Capcom Fighting Evolution also contributed to her being more anime by SF standards.

Full disclosure, I'm probably one of the only American SF fans who likes her, even with Capcom's character shilling, being reminded of Kula Diamond by her having been what first interested me back in CFE.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problem, and my apologies for the earlier misunderstanding.

If I were to add, her theme song back during her debut in Capcom Fighting Evolution also contributed to her being more anime by SF standards.

Full disclosure, I'm probably one of the only American SF fans who likes her, even with Capcom's character shilling, being reminded of Kula Diamond by her having been what first interested me back in CFE.

Never heard that song before but I like it! Even if it is anime, it is not like SF isn't already anime as hell when you check the character stories like Sakura or that weird E Honda story which basically that "bath episode" that plagues most anime these days.

Reading her wiki, seems like Harada likes her so I think it is very possible she would be back in Tekken X Street Fighter (if that ever happens).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard that song before but I like it! Even if it is anime, it is not like SF isn't already anime as hell when you check the character stories like Sakura or that weird E Honda story which basically that "bath episode" that plagues most anime these days.

Reading her wiki, seems like Harada likes her so I think it is very possible she would be back in Tekken X Street Fighter (if that ever happens).
Plausible. Having looked into details regarding SFxT's backstory, apparently they had her be the one responsible for Pandora (serving as both a gift and a test for humanity).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Because Akuma NEEDS an ex dp. His +3 CC button, walk speed, damage, easy combos, come back power, empty fire ball cancel, and air fireballs can't carry him all by themselves.
Third Strike Akuma is basically the correct balance that character needs to make sense.

Man it's even more impressive to know that Lucia was number 1 last month considering she came out at the same time as 2 other characters which is the first time that has happened.

I don't think it's a fluke either. She's not going to stay ahead of any of the Shoto's, but I think she'll remain in that top 10 or so probably for the rest of this games life.
It's not that surprising. E Honda is a charge character which naturally limits appeal. Poison is high IQ compared to the average SFV silverback.

Lucia's design, accent and relatively simple and strong moveset really took her over the top.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Cammy is simple, Lucia is not.

You can't get a knockdown and expect to be on offense.

Most of the time I uses Fire Spinner to chip away health and backdash to be annoying.

And she does poorly against fireballs.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wasn't that costume edit in the 3D projected backgrounds in the Eleague studio in **2017**?

If Capcom has been sitting on that edit for 2 years then smh

Tried looking up an image of Balrog but found this one.

Lead-In-3-1.jpg

Edit: Found one on EventHubs. Here's the article.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That was technically a fan mod, but the idea was the same.
No way that was a fan mod. Those were 3D models provided by Capcom because CPT Damon said as much on Twitter when Chris Ceglia asked why ten/0 never got access to 3D models for CPT production.

(That's all from memory. I have to go look up the tweets when I get home from work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.