• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why Retsu specifically, do you figure? Is it because he's the only SF1 character who hasn't ever been playable/had a playable analogue?

Ryu, Ken, Gen, Birdie, Eagle, Adon and Sagat all became playable in future games, while Joe, Mike, Lee, and Geki had Cody, Balrog, Yun/Yang and Claw appropriating their aesthetics/fighting styles. I guess Retsu is kind of the only one left, unless you wanna count Makoto as having a kempo-adjacent pure martial arts style.
Whoops, forgot to reply. That's it basically. Connection with Ryu/Dan also gives him an easy story to write.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

Here comes a Golden Soldier! Guess beggars can't be choosers...

To borrow a phrase from a Capcom-adjacent businessman:

"It's better than nothing."
Whoops, forgot to reply. That's it basically. Connection with Ryu/Dan also gives him an easy story to write.
Yeah, true true. I'd love it if they started promoting more NPCs/former background characters into playable status after the magic they worked with the likes of Poison, Kolin, Zeku, etc. Mika's coach Yoko and Necro's (girl?)friend Effie would be good candidates cuz we need more lady reps in both the grappler and "weirdo" archetypes.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Alex headbutting giant robots in Tatsunoko Vs Capcom will forever solidify his awesomeness in my book.
Yeah...

"Headbutting..."

EmptyMixedImperialeagle-small.gif

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's the constant search for "that thing" to help a specific match up.

Like, when Urien first came out in 2016, I struggled until finding out I could duck under and get a full punish on Urien player's doing random headbutts to start their pressure. That alone always gives me something to lean on when I'm fighting Uriens.

Basically, all my notes are filled with those little nuggets on all the match ups in the game. Like walking under Akuma to blow up air fireballs or my spacing method to get in on Dhalsim. I'm not really trying to "win", just maintain a level of exposure to situations so my edge doesn't get too dull.

I'm hoping my way of playing pays off for a future game, honestly.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, all my notes are filled with those little nuggets on all the match ups in the game. Like walking under Akuma to blow up air fireballs or my spacing method to get in on Dhalsim. I'm not really trying to "win", just maintain a level of exposure to situations so my edge doesn't get too dull.
I still remember the :mind_blown: effect when I first understood that instead of taking air pressure or trying to antiair, in certain cases, you could just roll under it and negate or punish the jump-in from a comfortable distance. That was many years ago, it doesn't apply to all games and all characters, I don't manage to do it as often as I can, but that's probably my favourite thing to do in a fighting game.
It's like saying a giant "Nope" to the other player.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Another month, another opportunity to reiterate how much I hate fighting R. Mika in this game. Seasons change, and that character remains dumb as hell.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Real "classy" dojo name that Ryu player's got, too...

I already tend to filter out PC players as a result of the syncing/rollback issues pointed out before, but this kind of thing only provides another justification.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
You probably wouldn't need an anti cheat system. They could just disconnect through scripts in online matches

if move does 1000% damage, disconnect.
if CA meter builds in 3 seconds in round 1, disconnect.

The same if it detects a move from characters from Challenges.

Oct 25, 2017
SFV has the same anti-cheat system as SFIV, where the game forces a desync after 1 round. The issue is this doesn't account for, well, a one round cheat.

Oct 25, 2017

If they're tweeting info about an announcement, should this be noted at all? Just noticed the Portuguese tweet specifically mentions a "big announcement".

My guess is this is either about Brazil having a team for the Olympic tournament or a general SFV announcement.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
New announcement incoming.

I would assume that one of the upcoming announcements originally planned for November and December just got moved up to align with this trade show.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

If they're tweeting info about an announcement, should this be noted at all? Just noticed the Portuguese tweet specifically mentions a "big announcement".

If it's only being streamed in Portuguese/Japanese at 11:30 in the morning, my guess is that it's something more specifically-focused on the South American FGC rather than a matter if worldwide import. Maybe announcing more SA CPT majors for the 2020 season?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Would the official Street Fighter account translate that Tweet to English and provide a converted time for the presentation if they were just going to announce something for the Brazilian competitive scene?

Oct 25, 2017
Would the official Street Fighter account translate that Tweet to English and provide a converted time for the presentation if they were just going to announce something for the Brazilian competitive scene?
That's the one reason I'm holding out a bit of hope, but for something like that Intel tournament at the Olympics, I think a team announcement is significant enough for a public translation.

Either way I'm too busy to pay too much attention until after the announcement is a thing so either way we'll know afterwards.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They're just going to announce Brazil's participation in the Intel Cup. That's literally it.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

Would they be airing it at a time when most Westerners are at work and most Easterners are in bed if was relevant to the playerbase at large?

There's a small chance it'll be an announcement/tease for Oro since he's (technically) a Brazilian rep and Capcom loves to announce characters at relevant venues (i.e. Rashid at Games15 in Dubai, Zeku at TGS, etc.) but the timing and apparent lack of an English-language stream makes me suspect it'll be CPT/Intel-related.

Oct 25, 2017
Would they be airing it at a time when most Westerners are at work and most Easterners are in bed if was relevant to the playerbase at large?

There's a small chance it'll be an announcement/tease for Oro since he's (technically) a Brazilian rep and Capcom loves to announce characters at relevant venues (i.e. Rashid at Games15 in Dubai, Zeku at TGS, etc.) but the timing and apparent lack of an English-language stream makes me suspect it'll be CPT/Intel-related.
They announced Rashid at like 12pm ET and there was literally no direct stream footage until after a full day because it happened to be 9/11.

Capcom does what they want and doesn't really care what would actually constitute smart marketing.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ono in August: "Don't expect any new character announcements until November/December."

Ya'll in October: "Oro reveal incoming guys!!!!!!!1!!!!1!"

Also Oro isn't even Brazilian, he's Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.