• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
4gamer.net posted an article with a ton of photos they took from Red Bull Kumite

https://www.4gamer.net/games/397/G039789/20191226204/

Edit: And here we have extremely rare photographic evidence of Infexious showing the faintest hint of a smile
128.jpg

Some really incredible photos there. Thanks for sharing!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect Rashid/Laura back, potentially base roster.

If Yun = Yun/Yang combo character I'm totally cool with him coming back.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Kolin's counter stuff works. Like, I never see a Kolin doing something that looks like an obvious counter whiff, like when a Ryu tries to parry something that doesn't come

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I don't understand how Kolin's counter stuff works. Like, I never see a Kolin doing something that looks like an obvious counter whiff, like when a Ryu tries to parry something that doesn't come
Kolin's got one parry that is a special move, and one parry that is her V-skill 1.

The special move parry has three versions. One for low attacks, one for mid attacks and one for jumping/airborne attacks. It has a very visible whiff animation where she slices the ground/air in front of her/air above her.

The V-skill 1 is a move that actually can hit you too. If it actually catches a move during the active frame then a different animation plays where she hits you twice. But this move is also very unsafe on block now.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kolin's got one parry that is a special move, and one parry that is her V-skill 1.

The special move parry has three versions. One for low attacks, one for mid attacks and one for jumping/airborne attacks. It has a very visible whiff animation where she slices the ground/air in front of her/air above her.

The V-skill 1 is a move that actually can hit you too. If it actually catches a move during the active frame then a different animation plays where she hits you twice. But this move is also very unsafe on block now.

Aight thanks, I think I've seen what you're talking about, and thought those were attacks

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
So I played ranked for 4 hours yesterday, haha. Had quite a few matches with no connection issues, which was nice. But goddamn, I wish I could filter by region. Seems all the south american flags always have issues.

I am in the lower ranks. Didn't see any Rashids at all. A few Bisons and Zekus. Not really any of the "top tier" characters. Tons of Gill/Kage/Ryu/Sagat/Akuma. People love shotos, heh.

Played a few Alex's. It was nice to gt mirror match experience in. In my EVO pool last year too, I had to play an Alex mirror too. Alex nation rise up.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Sagat is such a popular character in SF. He looks cool, but he's fighting style, or at least the fighting style that people I encounter play with him, is just so freaking boring. Just fireball spam forever and trying to catch predictable jumpinzzzzz

Even Guile players are more offensive with their new ability

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
People won't catch on fully until she is use in tournament. I think she could be a problem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Sagat is such a popular character in SF. He looks cool, but he's fighting style, or at least the fighting style that people I encounter play with him, is just so freaking boring. Just fireball spam forever and trying to catch predictable jumpinzzzzz

Even Guile players are more offensive with their new ability
Sagat has a very dominating playstyle. He's a lot like Sim in that he forces you to play in his range, not yours, but Sagat also has upclose superiority as well, meaning outside of a few specific matchups, you're always at the King's will.

Tldr: Sagat players are sadists.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Seems like there's always that underplayed character that gets buffed little by little after each update, and before you know it, that good character nobody plays becomes that insane character everyone plays.

Additionally, there's always that character that keeps getting buffed despite already being top tier (used to be Cammy's role, but now it's Rashid apparently), and that meh character that they keep giving meh buffs to (usually that's Alex's role, though his S5 stuff is pretty alright).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
They're not gonna keep adding new characters to SFV for years when a character like Seth is in the game and would need updating everytime a new character is added
I didn't say they'd keep adding characters to SFV, though I don't think that Seth argument holds any water. It's like saying that Kirby prevents Smash Bros. from receiving additional characters.

I am supremely confident that SFVI won't be revealed this year -- maybe 2021, but not 2020. Feel free to save this post and mock me if I'm wrong.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Capcom is probably going to coast on Champion Edition for at least two years. Going by their pattern of SF updates/releases they would have to have something ready for 2022. I think its a safer bet to see SFVI announced in 2021 and released in 2022.

Oct 25, 2017
Did we already forget the CapCup thing? CPT 2021 is unlikely to feature SFV, meaning a certain other game has to already be out by early 21.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Juri is fucking insane, no idea what to do against her at any time. Every Juri I fight seems like they do the exact right thing at all times. Can't press a button without getting crush countered. Constantly getting grabbed. Constantly getting anti aired

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I think SF6 will get more time in the oven after 5 and marvel had such rocky starts, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed early to get fan feedback and build hype.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Man Juri is fucking insane, no idea what to do against her at any time. Every Juri I fight seems like they do the exact right thing at all times. Can't press a button without getting crush countered. Constantly getting grabbed. Constantly getting anti aired
If they're back dashing and being evasive, then play defensively in turn. It fucks them up hard. don't press anything after they back throw because they always mash roundhouse. Like 90% of Juri players just backdash, charge, and mash st.forward/roundhouse if you're in range. Juri's pressure isn't great, so she's not that hard to deal with once you realize how they have to play

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Ohhh, I should get back online and use this tip to get my struggle self finally into Silver, thank you my friend!

Using WiFi will help you climb on any character. The slide is so easy to telegraph and punish, even people who don't know the matchup can block it easily. Even over aggressive people can block it easily. If a raw slide goes through it's because the other player isn't paying attention. You have a lot better chance at catching people off-guard with raw FBA than slide.

The main reason you get away with a lot while playing Vega is because there aren't a lot and people are really not used to play against him. And the First to 2 format advantages gimmicks, and lower level players (Gold, Silver, Bronze) are generally pretty bad at dealing with them. But using and relying on them pretty much stops your growth as a player because you're not really learning to play the game. Don't get me wrong, if it works it works. But it's one thing to know the basics and then learn gimmicks, it's another to just rely on gimmicks. If you simply rely on them you're going to be stopped each and every time anyone figures out the gimmick. And that's what the raw slide is. It's -300104124124154 on block. Even people with piss-poor reaction time can punish it on block!

If you actually want to climb using cheap WiFi or gimmicks, you should consider Bison or shotos. There are Kens that made it to Platinum pretty much just spamming DPs!

On a more serious note, making it into Silver is just a case of jumping less, blocking more and learning a basic b&b with your character. This will pretty much carry you to Ultra Silver, and then you'll start playing mostly against Gold players and realize there's not much difference between Gold&Silver. Gold Players just drop a little less and use basic punishes. At least that's been my experience so far.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Don't listen to them Nocturnowl, use Wi-Fi.

It's not like the game will tell anybody what your setup is, just blame one-sided rollback.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
No worries GoemonTheNinja, I was only jesting about leaning into cheapness, plus throwing out random slides has had me eat more pain than gain more anyway.

I actually DID just play my first online match in like a year or something, apparently I slipped from ultra bronze to super last time around and I'd forgotten that, and now those silver dreams I'm not really all that committed to are further away, and then I took one round out of four against a Ken where I kept feeling dumb about certain things I kept falling for.
But I actually had fun, there's the silver lining, the only silver I need (is what I tell myself)

I also enjoy opening up my SFV case and seeing my ripped out pair of notepad pages, which upon I scrawled the most rudimentary combos for four character I like to play.

It's enough to wipe out the FANG army at least.
It's basically like an advance wars battle, 9 infantry units saddling up against the 4 and blasting them into oblivion.
Then all the other SF characters are groups of Tanks where we have no hope.

Don't listen to them Nocturnowl, use Wi-Fi.

It's not like the game will tell anybody what your setup is, just blame one-sided rollback.
I've made it this far since launch day with these wi-fi honed skills...

err, I mean, damn those wi-fi peons holding me back from greatness!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I didn't say they'd keep adding characters to SFV, though I don't think that Seth argument holds any water. It's like saying that Kirby prevents Smash Bros. from receiving additional characters.

I am supremely confident that SFVI won't be revealed this year -- maybe 2021, but not 2020. Feel free to save this post and mock me if I'm wrong.
You know what, I feel ballsy. I think SFVI will be revealed sometime between now & E3.

The Kirby argument is a solid one, but he's there at launch. Seth was added this far into SFV's life. Couple that with the lack of auto-qualifying for CC2020 -> CC2021, I honestly believe that we'll see SFVI soon. Hell, I feel like it could be at the PS5 reveal event.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
If you actually want to climb using cheap WiFi or gimmicks, you should consider Bison or shotos. There are Kens that made it to Platinum pretty much just spamming DPs!

After playing against a few online Bisons using VS2, I feel bad for people in the Rookie-to-Silver ranks. Bison's VS2 is the ultimate wifi warrior move.

On a more serious note, making it into Silver is just a case of jumping less, blocking more and learning a basic b&b with your character. This will pretty much carry you to Ultra Silver, and then you'll start playing mostly against Gold players and realize there's not much difference between Gold&Silver. Gold Players just drop a little less and use basic punishes. At least that's been my experience so far.

I would add that some of the best things to learn in the Bronze/Silver ranks is effective anti-airing and becoming familiar with your main's gameplan. By gameplan I mean knowing hands-down what buttons to use when you're in neutral, knowing how to anti-air, having a strategy when your under pressure, etc. It'll give you an advantage over players who've mastered a setplay gimmick but don't understand fundamentals.

========

So I guess CE is enticing everyone to jump back into Ranked like me? I've been sitting at Platinum for over a year contently playing casual matches, but I decided about a month ago to slowly start getting back into Ranked. My final goal before SFV concludes is to hit Diamond rank. The ascent is slow, but overall trends upwards. Started December at around 8,200LP and I'm currently sitting at about 9,400LP. I'm hopeful some point in 2020 I'll hit that magic 14,000LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.