• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I didn't say they'd keep adding characters to SFV, though I don't think that Seth argument holds any water. It's like saying that Kirby prevents Smash Bros. from receiving additional characters.

I am supremely confident that SFVI won't be revealed this year -- maybe 2021, but not 2020. Feel free to save this post and mock me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure all characters would be updated to some degree no matter who is added to the game because they have to have hit reactions to certain CA's. I just dont see that one aspect of seth being a huge limiter on whether or not new characters are introduced.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I really like this recent patch. I've been an Ed main since season 2, but now I'm enjoying him so much more than I used to. I've also been dabbling with Kage, and Gill, and both are fun as hell to play. That said, I don't really care for Seth, but I do hope there are more crossover skins coming soon and hopefully a few more characters (though seems doubtful?).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I also hope they aren't done with the crossover skins. There are still tons of characters left.
  • Ryu - Chris, X, Phoenix Wright, Soki, Masamune Date, Ryu (BoF), Hayato
  • Ken - Leon, Proto Man, Zero, Miles Edgeworth, Yukimura Sanada, Falcon
  • Chun-Li - Mai-Ling
  • Cammy - Regina
  • Nash - Spencer
  • M. Bison - Sigma
  • Karin - Tron Bonne, Nina
  • Ibuki - Amaterasu, Linn
  • Urien - Dr. Wily, Jedah
  • Abigail - Nemesis
  • Menat - Maya Fey, Rouge, Tessa, Pure the Mage
  • Sakura - Rebecca
  • Blanka - Red Arremer
  • Falke - Saki, SonSon
  • Cody - Frank West, Gene
  • Poison - Franziska von Karma, Ruby Heart
  • Lucia - Claire
...And so on.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I also hope they aren't done with the crossover skins. There are still tons of characters left.
  • Chun-Li - Mai-Ling
  • Cammy - Regina
  • Nash - Spencer
  • M. Bison - Sigma
  • Abigail - Nemesis
  • Sakura - Rebecca
  • Blanka - Red Arremer
  • Falke - Saki, SonSon
  • Lucia - Claire
...And so on.

Also, if they aren't adding Dan, at least give Kage a Dan skin... I will play him.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
  • Chun-Li - Mai-Ling
  • Cammy - Regina
  • Nash - Spencer
  • M. Bison - Sigma
  • Abigail - Nemesis
  • Sakura - Rebecca
  • Blanka - Red Arremer
  • Falke - Saki, SonSon
  • Lucia - Claire
...And so on.
Kinda hoping to see Claire for Ibuki instead, but I suppose I could picture Lucia as well. REmake 2 w/Elza Easter egg would be ideal, but seems optimistic.

Wouldn't know how Amaterasu would work, but I've also never actually finished Okami and may be missing what to picture.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't know how Amaterasu would work, but I've also never actually finished Okami and may be missing what to picture.
I'm just picturing a full body wolf suit like the SFIV animal costumes. It's not perfect, but Amaterasu is a popular Capcom character, and Ibuki is the closest thematic fit with her classical Japanese aesthetic and weapons.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm only expecting the CPT DLC this year. I think they're very likely done with support which could explain why Season 4 DLC was dragged into December '19 and February '20.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect the CPT DLC, then three characters as a pack end of summer, and another winter pack of 3 characters and a stage after the end of the CPT.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Chun-Li - Mai-Ling
  • Cammy - Regina
  • Nash - Spencer
  • M. Bison - Sigma
  • Abigail - Nemesis
  • Sakura - Rebecca
  • Blanka - Red Arremer
  • Falke - Saki, SonSon
  • Lucia - Claire
...And so on.
Going by the fact that they're starting over the cycle for Extra Battle with where it started (Viewtiful Joe Rashid), it seems like Capcom is done with those costumes. I do expect one more CPT pack for iDom's Laura costume (plus it'd bring the total stage count to 40), but that's it. With that said, I do think Capcom will continue with crossover costumes going into SFVI.

I do honestly believe that Seth is the end of the road for SFV as far as characters go, with another balance patch for the CPT's half-way point & the CPT DLC pack being the main things we have to look forward to.

I'm only expecting the CPT DLC this year. I think they're very likely done with support which could explain why Season 4 DLC was dragged into December '19 and February '20.
That's another thing, Gill & Seth are counted as Season 4, yet Seth is being dragged to this year (I know, Seth probably isn't done yet, but still).

I'm pretty sure all characters would be updated to some degree no matter who is added to the game because they have to have hit reactions to certain CA's. I just dont see that one aspect of seth being a huge limiter on whether or not new characters are introduced.
Another thing to consider is the voice acting. For Kirby, he only has one voice actress for all languages who comes in to record. For Seth, you'd have to bring in his Japanese & English voices each season. For reference, there isn't usually a huge amount of overlap for VAs across seasons (with a few exceptions, like Sagat being late Season 3 having lines for early Season 4, or Ryu since his VAs had to record for Kage anyway).

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a common reason why you can get disconnected from the server? I keep getting disconnected randomly every other 3 or 4 matches before the matches even start. Game thinks im rage quitting so i keep getting penalized to not allow to play for like a day or so. I have really good internet and wired on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a common reason why you can get disconnected from the server? I keep getting disconnected randomly every other 3 or 4 matches before the matches even start. Game thinks im rage quitting so i keep getting penalized to not allow to play for like a day or so. I have really good internet and wired on PC.
This may not apply because youre on PC, but I had that issue on PS4. Using Google DNS in my internet settings on the console solved it.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing to consider is the voice acting. For Kirby, he only has one voice actress for all languages who comes in to record. For Seth, you'd have to bring in his Japanese & English voices each season. For reference, there isn't usually a huge amount of overlap for VAs across seasons (with a few exceptions, like Sagat being late Season 3 having lines for early Season 4, or Ryu since his VAs had to record for Kage anyway).
But they already know which characters are in development for the next year. It's easy to ask the VA to record "soul spiral" and "geneijin" and"time to oil up" now.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the 1,000,000FM trophy, no idea how anyone new to the game with CE will ever get it though.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the 1,000,000FM trophy, no idea how anyone new to the game with CE will ever get it though.

It is possible. With 40 characters in CE, doing each character's story mode, tutorial, trials, and easy/normal survival mode would bring you enough experience to net about 21,000 FM with each character for a total of 840,000 FM. It'd be a slog but the trophy is technically still achievable.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I've been grinding. I bought Gill (had 314,000 at that point) and then did his story, etc (went up to 231,000). I'm now at 290,000.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
The advertising really makes me think CE = Costume Edition. Maybe that's also intentional? Maybe.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
They nerfed Cammy, Mika and Birdie's normal AA to not cross cut

But left Laura's, Poison's and G's alone

They inadvertently buff Ryu's Cr.mp as an AA against jump ins with terrible hitboxes.

Meanwhile Lucia doesn't have a good AA

They refuse to touch Birdie's EX Bullhead frame disadvantage on block as characters have no way of dealing with it

They still left Karin's sweep safe on block and can even get Cr.mk xx Tenko to punish sweeps on whiff.

Hurtboxes are still disjointed as character's move will overlap to opponent's model because the hurtbox won't expand until start of the active frame.

Cammy's cr jab is still neutral on block while Karin continues to press st lk everytime she gets a knockdown or a counter hit.

How can anyone say Capcom has a good track record on balance changes when they overlook?

It took Capcom 3.5 seasons to get rid of throw loops.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not really SF related, but the spirit of it, the aura, it speaks SFV

ENoKv8gW4AAZPpO

Never change Capcpom

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they give up on Zeku's win quotes. The one to Gill doesn't even sound like something he'd say

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If SF6 really is next year, this is one hell of a hilarious monkey's paw scenario w/ SFV S5's reception.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would actually be better to release a new game close to SF5's best year, though, to give the series better reputation closer to the moment people open their wallet.
Also, I can't imagine SF6 before 2022.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It would actually be better to release a new game close to SF5's best year, though, to give the series better reputation closer to the moment people open their wallet.
If it wasn't for the whole Capcom Cup thing, I'd agree with you (hell, I actually did for the longest time).

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think that would only matter to the hardcore competitive community. For people who got off the SFV train or never actually played it, SFV's bad reputation will continue to stick. What would work best is more distance from SFV's launch. I think another year of SFV on the CPT makes more sense with SF6 in 2020.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
With the balance freeze coming for the Summer Olympics, I think the writing is on the wall that Seth and potentially a February balance update is going to be the last major update to SFV period. I fully expect to see a SFVI teaser trailer sometime this summer with a release date early next year.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Man, I played ranked for 2 hours last night, like every match had rollback issues, it's so frustrating, haha. Last week I had some good night.

My opinion, I think they should put out SF6 at end of 2021, once they get a handle on the nexgen systems. I hope they truly treat it as a game as a service, and upgrade graphics/UI/functionality through the life of the product, along with characters/stages/outfits. I will assume they want SF6 to live through the life span of PS5/XSX.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Tried Kage earlier and his damage is addicting.
I was having fun learning him but then netcode was acting up

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With the balance freeze coming for the Summer Olympics, I think the writing is on the wall that Seth and potentially a February balance update is going to be the last major update to SFV period. I fully expect to see a SFVI teaser trailer sometime this summer with a release date early next year.
Likewise, they aren't even bothering to add anymore Extra Battle costumes, instead option to start the cycle over with Viewtiful Joe Rashid. I do expect one more CPT pack & a post-Olympics balance patch, but that may be it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which character would have the most trouble handling their own special move. Like, Menat probably won't care much that Seth absorbed her LP orb move.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Nash EX Scythe being airborne invincible in active frame is the stupidest I've seen.

It was already a good AA and this change gives a false hope that maybe this 6f start up special csn beat a meaty jump.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody even going to be using that v-skill after the first week? It being one time use kind of killed the potential. Her other one seems like the actual go to

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I hope the vskill does a bit of damage, or ends with oki. It'd be a hard sell to sacrifice damage and/or positioning in order to gain the ability to throw one sonic boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.