• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The meta of this game is absurd. Every match plays out the same with people just mashing easy mode safe buttons to try and crush counter you, and the easily abuseable online dash up throw. And yet I keep playing for some reason...>_<

Have you played street fighter before?

Go watch xian play gen in sf4
Go watch Wong play chun sf3.
Go watch bas play sagat in cvs2.
Go watch a good vega player in sf2.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The meta of this game is absurd. Every match plays out the same with people just mashing easy mode safe buttons to try and crush counter you, and the easily abuseable online dash up throw. And yet I keep playing for some reason...>_<

This paragraph feels like a fighting game MadLibs filled in with a couple SFV references.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This paragraph feels like a fighting game MadLibs filled in with a couple SFV references.
MK11:

The meta of this game is absurd. Every match plays out the same with people just mashing easy mode safe strings to try and hitconfirm, and the easily abuseable online j3. And yet I keep playing for some reason...>_<

Tekken 7:

The meta of this game is absurd. Every match plays out the same with people just mashing easy mode launching df2s to try and launch you, and the easily abuseable online sweep. And yet I keep playing for some reason...>_<
Soulcalibur 6:

The meta of this game is absurd. Every match plays out the same with people just mashing easy mode safe Bs to try and pressure you, and the easily abuseable online run up throw. And yet I keep playing for some reason...>_<

you get the idea. I was gonna do one for KI but god, that game has so much variation in viable playstyles, I can't generalize.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
have fun making jokes at my expense all ya want. That is how the game plays and I guess I've just come to the end of my rope with it. Later

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
have fun making jokes at my expense all ya want. That is how the game plays and I guess I've just come to the end of my rope with it. Later
I'm certainly not gonna try and defend the dash up throw stuff. It's generally a mindgame that can be strong in this game given how deadly all other options are but it's made considerably worse when playing online because you can't necessarily rely on your reactions in that instance.

But the "easy safe CC buttons" hasn't been true for a while now. Every button that can do something like that carries risk. Generally that means that the move has a very long animation that you can only cancel out of with a V-Trigger activation. So that means that whiff punishing, punishing the move with a well timed jump-in and in some cases like Ed's st.hk, straight up block punishing is the way to go.

There are only a few moves like that have more upsides than downsides (Birdie's st.hk is a good example of that). But even that move is still slow as all fuck so even if you can't get a punish from a jump in, he still has to block the jump-in and now you can pressure.

If this were season 1, I'd agree with you then, those buttons were stupid AF for the most part.
damn first ya'll bullied Ono and now ya'll bullying members out of the FGC

#toxic
street-fighter-v-121.jpg

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

My post was meant as an observation on fighting games in genreal because there's almost always some mechanic or tactic in every one we can complain about, yet we still play them. Nothing personal.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dash up command grab was a thing in SF4 too, it's just player conditioning.

I'd be very curious about what a game like SFV plays like without dashes.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I would dash grab in 3S too. Elena fo life!

it's great when you condition a person to just stand there, after pokes for 20 seconds.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta mostly agree with Luce on the abusable button thing, but Urien's st.HP will never not be stupid lol. It's fast, doesn't linger, can be canceled to be made safe, and is stupid hard to whiff punish. Tbf tho, you can't really make it "fair" without doing some stupid shit like making him trip on his face on whiff lol.
Dash up command grab was a thing in SF4 too, it's just player conditioning.
1:20

Legendary.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hey SFV-ERA, I started getting into fighting games in late 2018 and after around 600h in Tekken, Soul Calibur and mostly Fighterz, I would like to give SFV an honest shot. However, it is kinda daunting due to being a 6-button fighter, having tons of characters and already being out for almost 5 years. Are there any good character overview videos (similar to ThatBlastedSalami's Tekken and Fighterz ones) along with a playlist explaining the game's mechanics? Also, any youtuber that you guys recommend like DotoDoya/JMCrofts that uploads online matches every now and then? Those always help me learn different chars and matchups.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hey SFV-ERA, I started getting into fighting games in late 2018 and after around 600h in Tekken, Soul Calibur and mostly Fighterz, I would like to give SFV an honest shot. However, it is kinda daunting due to being a 6-button fighter, having tons of characters and already being out for almost 5 years. Are there any good character overview videos (similar to ThatBlastedSalami's Tekken and Fighterz ones) along with a playlist explaining the game's mechanics? Also, any youtuber that you guys recommend like DotoDoya/JMCrofts that uploads online matches every now and then? Those always help me learn different chars and matchups.
There's lots, I would recommend finding a character specific discord once you find someone you want to try to main and ask specific questions there. I've found automattock's tutorials and breakdowns pretty helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqlQ5LyVdmmyBV-4vG1UoLA

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Automattock, TrueUnderdogGaming and Bafael had good guides for certain characters.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Online matches by well known players are uploaded by SFV Fan. No commentary or anything, just the replays.

Capcom Fighters has a YT channel where most matches from the Capcom Pro Tour (CPT) are uploaded.

I've personally learned a shitton from Sajam's match analyses, where he watches interesting matches from CPT tournaments (usually top 8) and breaks down what the players are doing and why.

Nov 21, 2017
People say that anti-airing is one of the first things you need to learn but honestly, when it comes to SFV, checking dashes is far more important. Checking a dash can easily lead to you winning matches because you can convert it into corner carry, decent damage, oki, activation or all 4 at once. Not only the random dash-ins in neutral, but the many, MANY, situations where someone will get some form of knockdown on you and go for the fake (i.e. unsafe) dash-in or double dash-in.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How do y'all feel about SF4 series' damage output nowdays compared to SF5?

I think SF4's damage seems low because almost everything was off of a light or focus which heavily scaled damage after.

The Seth mixup in this vid is a good example. He did about 60% off one combo with just a focus to extend...then built another two bars during the combo, lol.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Seeing that Sakura combo genuinely brings back hot flashes of frustration. I had a friend who used Sakura and had a similar, long-ass Sakura combo on lock. Being stuck in a combo that doesn't do crazy damage, but still goes on for twenty seconds, is fucking brutal. It is one of the reasons I stepped away from Tekken (the bound system was the final straw). I hate that shit.

I am quite happy with the way damage is in SFV.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF4 made people think that long combos are somehow an SF requirement.

SF5 made people think that rollback is trash.

Capcom, plz.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
People say that anti-airing is one of the first things you need to learn but honestly, when it comes to SFV, checking dashes is far more important. Checking a dash can easily lead to you winning matches because you can convert it into corner carry, decent damage, oki, activation or all 3 at once. Not only the random dash-ins in neutral, but the many, MANY, situations where someone will get some form of knockdown on you and go for the fake (i.e. unsafe) dash-in or double dash-in.
Yeah, dash checking is probably the main hole in my game. I especially let Bison players get away with murder.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Mine says I played SF5 for 116 hours, but only 69 of those hours were played online. Since I barely touch single player stuff, the bulk of that time is waiting for my next match. Yuck.

I wish I could get a further breakdown than just the top 3, I enjoy looking through these kinds of stats.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM

One of the best things SFV corrected over SF4. The damage looked so pitiful in SF4, especially with how long and light attack-centric the combos were. The absolute worst part was when a long ass, scaled to shit combo ended with an Ultra. Your character would send your opponent to hell and back with a 10 second cinematic and you'd need an electron microscope to see their health bar deplete.

Oct 25, 2017
Laura is such a shit character to fight, man. Even when you're beating her, you still honestly aren't having fun. I regret rooting for iDom.

Edit: Both SFV and FighterZ are under maintenance rn, meaning both my main games are out and I won't be able to play in an hour. Tonight is not my night.

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Any Cody mains around?
I'm getting more and more familiar with his moveset, but i'm struggling to incorporate his V-Trigger 2 into my gameplan.

How do you zone with VT2?
What are your go to buttons?
Any general gameplan for midscreen, corner defence\offense?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
One of the best things SFV corrected over SF4. The damage looked so pitiful in SF4, especially with how long and light attack-centric the combos were. The absolute worst part was when a long ass, scaled to shit combo ended with an Ultra. Your character would send your opponent to hell and back with a 10 second cinematic and you'd need an electron microscope to see their health bar deplete.
I have similar sentiments as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.