• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Its amazing how Capcom was able to turn it around with Street Fighter V.

Hope MvC has a similar fate but with Marvel and Disney involved im worried.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Great scores. Love the new UI, Looks so slick. Hope we see a nice influx of new players.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really loving the revamp. Everything I felt was lacking seems to have been addressed. The arcade mode is a MASSIVE step up from the dinky story mode of the original release (although I deeply appreciate Story Mode for hilarity of Sakura's story ending).

I'm still a scrub when it comes to fighting online, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how Capcom was able to turn it around with Street Fighter V.

Hope MvC has a similar fate but with Marvel and Disney involved im worried.
And its gonna just keep getting better. Bet they've got a (free) Super Street Fighter V update in the works, where they'll prob add more lobby improvements, another cinematic story, vskill 2, and more supers. The DLC prices can be a bitch, but i think the free updates make it all worth it.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe all people wanted were boring arcade ladders with crappy drawings for endings.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
And its gonna just keep getting better. Bet they've got a (free) Super Street Fighter V update in the works, where they'll prob add more lobby improvements, another cinematic story, vskill 2, and more supers. The DLC prices can be a bitch, but i think the free updates make it all worth it.

That Super version is just Season 4, Arcade Edition is just another name for Season 3.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i mean...as someone that got SFV at launch and still playing it continuosly now....it's definitely much better with the AE update. Many of the graphic quirks were much improved, the UI gives a much more hyped now and there's more to do for non pvp players as well.

However, certain lingering problems remains like the Fight Money system (even more pronounced now given the 'betting' like nature of the Extra Battle mode) which anyone with a brain will know that it is not possible to get every character and stages and story costumes and colors via only FM...even if you live and breath SFV 24/7 and win every match....and that's not to mention that 90% of the costumes cannot be bought with FM and only real money (where 60% of these are Chun-Li costumes).

Also, can the AI be not so balantly input-reading?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get people comlpaining about FM. I mean yeah, it sucks it's more of a grind now... But can you point me to the direction of another fighting game that allows me to buy DLC character without paying real money...? Hell, even if I can manage to only buy 1 character that way, it's still cool.

What would be better? Just having no FM and characters only as paid DLC?

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
Meh, as long as it's fundamentally the same game I'm not interested. They removed too much from what I consider the Street Fighter formula that it just isn't fun in a competitive sense. Good for those of you that like it though, I feel that it's probably a good game for the casual / non-competitive players. Easier to get into than the earlier iterations and easier execution barriers. Footsies being less prevalent and the game being more about getting in and frametrapping until your "turn" is over in combination with the stubby normals makes it more of an in your face game. Here's to hoping that it sells well so that Capcom gets the opportunity to make a Street Fighter 6 :)

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people comlpaining about FM. I mean yeah, it sucks it's more of a grind now... But can you point me to the direction of another fighting game that allows me to buy DLC character without paying real money...? Hell, even if I can manage to only buy 1 character that way, it's still cool.
What would be better? Just having no FM and characters only as paid DLC?

Seems like people want to remove FM and make DLC characters cost more. I will never understand Fight money complaints. It is meant to reward people who spend time playing the game. Its not a Here play the game for an hour and you can have years worth of DLC for free.

People keep calling it a grind , but there are many people who just play this game anyway. Just doing weekly quests regularly alone gives you enough to buy a character every two months and you barely need to spend a few minutes for them.

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, as long as it's fundamentally the same game I'm not interested. They removed too much from what I consider the Street Fighter formula that it just isn't fun in a competitive sense. Good for those of you that like it though, I feel that it's probably a good game for the casual / non-competitive players. Easier to get into than the earlier iterations and easier execution barriers. Footsies being less prevalent and the game being more about getting in and frametrapping until your "turn" is over in combination with the stubby normals makes it more of an in your face game. Here's to hoping that it sells well so that Capcom gets the opportunity to make a Street Fighter 6 :)

Each to their own I suppose. For me, SFIV removed what I liked about SF and with SFV they got it back on track. It's obviously not perfect (I mean no FG is) as it's more offense orientated but it's a solid entry in the series imo.

Nice. I'll update the OP!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer - Essential
It's taken Capcom way too long to drag Street Fighter 5 to where it should have been at launch. And so, it's easy to cynically dismiss this much-needed rebirth as too little, too late. But doing so does a disservice to the fantastic fighting game Street Fighter 5 has become. Sure, Street Fighter 5 was a disaster at launch. But now, buoyed by Arcade Edition, it's one of the best fighting games around, if not the very best. Street Fighter 5 has always had brilliant combat. Now it's got the video game to do it justice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-19-street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-review

Metro UK

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition - Capcom's Redemption. Despite all the controversy Street Fighter V was always a great fighting game, but as unearned as some of the criticism might have been the Arcade Edition silences it once and for all.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/19/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-review-capcoms-redemption-7241560/

US Gamer - 4.5/5
After two years of additions and tweaks, Capcom has finally gotten Street Fighter V into the state it should've launched in. What was only a tournament-ready fighter is now a robust package. A roster of 29 characters, the long-awaited Arcade Mode, Extra Battle, Challenges, a great Training Mode, and solid online play add up to a release that shouldn't be missed for avid fighting game fans.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-review

Trusted Reviews - 4.5/5
Street Fighter 5 is a great game at its core, but now that core is surrounded by a healthy amount of content for every type of player. Now is the time to get involved with one of the best fighting games currently around, and put all that Hadoken muscle memory you've had since '92 to the test!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition#mWtUCoPjfleUvo8y.99

Gaming Bolt - 9
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is the game we've all been waiting for since the original game launched almost two years ago. Each character plays as smoothly as any other version, the colors and unique soundtrack are definitely one-of-a-kind. This is, now, one of the best fighting games in the series, and one of the best fighters of the current generation. Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is the game we deserved, and although it took nearly two years after launch to get to this point, it's a great point for those who didn't get the game in the beginning.

https://gamingbolt.com/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-review#jyfzvDv3F7DjFyum.99

Push Square - 8
t's taken close to two years, but Street Fighter V finally resembles the game that it should have been from the start thanks to Arcade Edition. Newcomers can rest assured that there's now enough single player content to keep casual players happy, and at its core, the actual fighting remains top class.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/street_fighter_v_arcade_edition

Polygon
- Postive

Capcom has always promised Street Fighter 5 will be a singular title, eschewing the many-versions-under-one-number system it had employed for previous franchises entries. While some players may be salty that Arcade Edition offers the game's 12 DLC characters for free to new players (characters could be purchased as part of a season pass, or by earning in-game Fight Money from completing challenges and matches), they'll still benefit from the arcade mode, UI adjustments and character balance changes, which are being patched in for all Street Fighter 5 owners. But Arcade Edition is the perfect invitation for new players or those who passed on the game the first time around. Now, more than ever, is the best time to jump in.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/5/16429572/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-release-date

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
EGMNOW - 9.0

Mollie T. Patterson said:
There's still things that I'd like to see added to or changed about the overall game, but in Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, Capcom has given us a release that truly shows off the potential and promise of the latest chapter of the Street Fighter saga. If you're someone who has avoided SFV due to what's been missing or concerns over a lackluster set of options, this really is the time to finally jump in and give the game a go. Arcade Edition feels miles away from Street Fighter V in terms of the overall package, and for its $40 price tag (which includes the first two seasons of characters for free), you're getting a game that's made up for nearly all of the sins of that disappointing first release. If you've fallen off from playing at some point over the past two years, then the combination of what's been added since you left plus what's come along with AE should hopefully offer enough to re-ignite whatever passion you previously had for the game. And, if you're someone who's been here the entire time, then this free update feels like a welcome freshening up as we enter the game's third year, with a nice mixture of a reworked UI, character rebalancing, and roster updates—at least until the next round of tier lists don't go your way.

As mentioned in the quote's notation, the review was written by none other than mollipen.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I still don't get how/why they could include the brand new Arcade Modes on this disc but not the year and a half old General Story mode? An additional 8gb+ download ontop of the already huge patch is ridiculous. Regardless of that its good ta see this become a complete game rather than a skeleton of one at long last! I put my money where my mouth was by picking this up just like I said I would if it ever got an Arcade mode! Can't hardly wait ta sit down an play this... someday!

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
Man, at $40 i'm really tempted to get this. Is it possible to enjoy this online as a very very casual player or will i get destroyed?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, at $40 i'm really tempted to get this. Is it possible to enjoy this online as a very very casual player or will i get destroyed?

Getting into a competitive fighting game years after launch is always tough, but perhaps there is a good influx of new players with Arcade Edition so you can find people of your level online.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-review/1900-6416835/

With a slick new interface, fully featured online and offline modes, and every character released thus far--plus Sakura, the first fighter from Season 3 of its DLC--Street Fighter V feels like a complete package. It has always been a strong fighting game that continues to get better over time, but it remained a game for genre enthusiasts. Arcade Edition, however, is a game that you can confidently recommend to anyone. Two years after its launch, Street Fighter V is finally fighting fit.

9/10

Oct 25, 2017
You'll be facing people of the same rank as you. Some may know what they're what they're doing, some won't. You could win 25% of your matches, you could win 75%. Hard to say lol.

However, you should check out this thread

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fighting-game-scrub-crew.12043/

There's a discord link in the OP, the server is meant for people newer to the game. Playing with them would be the ideal way to play online and learn/have fun.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to checking out all the content. Haven't touched my copy since April the year it was released I think.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are now 25 reviews for this thing, all positive, seems to have settled on 88 on Metacrtic. Curiously the same score DBFZ currently has.

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to update this:

Gamespot

It has always been a strong fighting game that continues to get better over time, but it remained a game for genre enthusiasts. Arcade Edition, however, is a game that you can confidently recommend to anyone. Two years after its launch, Street Fighter V is finally fighting fit.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-review/1900-6416835/

Meta critic Score - 88 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition

Open critic score - 88
- http://opencritic.com/game/5407/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition?tab=1

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooner they drop this and start on SF6 the better imo. Seems V is complete now that its up to scratch. So lets start with a good game this time

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Damn, people already looking forward to a new Street Fighter game to shitpost about.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sooner they drop this and start on SF6 the better imo. Seems V is complete now that its up to scratch. So lets start with a good game this time
waynes-world-get-a-load-of-this-guy-cam-pointing-cut-and-suck-1369254775m1.gif

There, I gave you the attention you so obviously and desperately craved. Hope I made your day!

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
waynes-world-get-a-load-of-this-guy-cam-pointing-cut-and-suck-1369254775m1.gif

There, I gave you the attention you so obviously and desperately craved. Hope I made your day!
Wtf. Not sure how I upset you, I didnt say anything bad about the game at all? Its no secret the game had a rocky start. How many seasons are they going to do after 3 realistically? I'd be amazed if they werent already started on SF6 seeing as V is now in good shape

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Not sure how I upset you, I didnt say anything bad about the game at all? Its no secret the game had a rocky start. How many seasons are they going to do after 3 realistically? I'd be amazed if they werent already started on SF6 seeing as V is now in good shape

Rocky start for sure however the game did not "bomb" going by the 88 on metacritic and opencrtitic. They will be continuing to support the title at least until 2020 as there is lot of mileage left and still some fan favourites missing.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Capcom has stated back in 2016 they plan to support SFV until 2020. Maybe if AE flopped and interest in the game dried up Capcom would change their plans, but with SFV's strong viewership numbers with major tournys and the general positive response to AE, Capcom is most definitely going to roll out a season 4, season 5, and probably another major content update before the game hits Capcom's self-imposed EoL date. I don't expect a SF6 to roll out of Capcom until 2021 or 2022.