• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
aspofjaufha.jpg

Man, why couldn't Capcom give us that before list when SFV launched?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I may be premature with this take, but it seems to be as I feared. I can no longer find matches. I usually search for 4-5 bars and get matches in a few minutes. Now, 3-5 bars, it's been 15 minutes and nothing. They might have reduced the distance much too much for people like me.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I may be premature with this take, but it seems to be as I feared. I can no longer find matches. I usually search for 4-5 bars and get matches in a few minutes. Now, 3-5 bars, it's been 15 minutes and nothing. They might have reduced the distance much too much for people like me.

I was experiencing the same thing last weekend. 10-15 min to find a match. I set it to 5 bars.

When I finally connected, the connections weren't that good.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was experiencing the same thing last weekend. 10-15 min to find a match. I set it to 5 bars.

When I finally connected, the connections weren't that good.
10-15 mins to find a 5 bar (which apparently wasn't working as intended according to the info released today) is still much better than waiting 30 mins for just a 2-5 bar...sigh. :/

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time finding matches too. I guess anyone outside of big Murican or European cities is shit out of luck now.

I wasn't playing much anymore anyway so I guess that's that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the Intel thing now 2021, I think they're just going "fuck it try everything so that we have data for SF6 and a better competitive S5 when its relevant."

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time finding matches too. I guess anyone outside of big Murican or European cities is shit out of luck now.

I wasn't playing much anymore anyway so I guess that's that.
Really sucks.

I spent a long time this gen trying out so many kinds of different fighting games. Recently I gave them all up to focus on SFV. Online was great for me, and I was making progress in ranked which is the main reason I play. And now this just kills it.

Unless they revert or adjust it, that's it for me unfortunately.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Like here's Daigo and Nemo after the netcode patch.

Nemo feels like they're more laggy matches

And Daigo getting two laggy matches in a row with the second game being Pc vs Pc.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Skullgirls had an Endless Beta

In fact Capcom has a CFN Beta that they can just use to make tweaks and adjustments before officially releasing it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks.

I spent a long time this gen trying out so many kinds of different fighting games. Recently I gave them all up to focus on SFV. Online was great for me, and I was making progress in ranked which is the main reason I play. And now this just kills it.

Unless they revert or adjust it, that's it for me unfortunately.
You don't need to rely on random matchmaking to find people to play with online, though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to rely on random matchmaking to find people to play with online, though.
My main goal was climbing ranked. I was aiming to reach Platinum before the next game. I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but reaching these targets is enjoyable to me and keeps me playing and improving. If I had an actual local scene, I probably wouldn't care so much about it. My targets and goals would be different.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Is this the first time they mentioned the meaning of the 1-5 rating when searching online?

Also is this the first time they mentioned the meaning behind the relay/p2p symbols?

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I am reading this wrong but it looks like they tightened up what counts for each star connection. So whatever range you normally search for you need to bump it down one if you want to continue to find the normal amount of matches your used to.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am reading this wrong but it looks like they tightened up what counts for each star connection. So whatever range you normally search for you need to bump it down one if you want to continue to find the normal amount of matches your used to.
It doesn't matter. They also seem to have dramatically reduced the max distance of the search. I used to search for 4-5 and get matches in minutes. Now I search for 2-5 and get one in half an hour, usually not a good connection either. If you're outside a major city/region you're kinda just screwed.

There should be no reason to restrict a proper rollback connection in this way. The ping should be the only decider, not physical distance.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wonder if the distance change was in response to people like Brian F complaining about matching up against opponents that he alleged were in Latin America (his words not mine).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the distance change was in response to people like Brian F complaining about matching up against opponents that he alleged were in Latin America (his words not mine).
Of course. I and others immediately thought the same due to how persistent and vocal he's been. I assume he's happy now, meanwhile a bunch us who Capcom has no reason to care about just got screwed.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
With bars set to 4-5, I'm no longer getting matches from Brazil and the rest of South America. That means nothing if matches are going to continue to feel like delay based netcode

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my matches have been really laggy since the update. Against people who were not lagging before.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Takes much longer for me to find matches as well, and one still had issues even once I got it.

Just as well when I haven't been as focused on this game as of late, I guess.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. I thought the point of rollback was to expand the pool of players by adjusting input/delay and rollback according to the distance. What the hell is happening here ? I planned to re-download this after hearing of the update, but I don't think I'll bother, as I'm in a similar location than Jaded Alyx.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't understand. I thought the point of rollback was to expand the pool of players by adjusting input/delay and rollback according to the distance. What the hell is happening here ? I planned to re-download this after hearing of the update, but I don't think I'll bother, as I'm in a similar location than Jaded Alyx.

They might have made the matchmaking too conservative as to who you get matched with as compared to before where it just damn near didn't care who it matched you with as long as it connected. Rollback cant do anything about bad matchmaking unfortunately especially if you don't get matches at all.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Playing against my friends and we are having lots of slowdown.. It is barely playable.. All 5 bars too.. Never had this issue before the netcode update

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I never had serious issues with SFV lagging until 2020. The netcode is slightly more consistent now, but when it's bad it's worse than it's ever been.

It's honestly unfortunate Capcpom listened to the few loudmouths that were praising the fanmade mod. I'd rather have some teleporting than me missing my combos because of slowmo. The one thing I liked about playing SFV online is that my own inputs were not messed with. It always felt responsive. Now it's a mess most of the time.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
It's honestly unfortunate Capcpom listened to the few loudmouths that were praising the fanmade mod. I'd rather have some teleporting than me missing my combos because of slowmo.
The fanmade mod was trying to address one-sided rollback. I'd put less blame on people that it helped for praising it and more on Capcom for still not knowing what they're doing.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fanmade mod was trying to address one-sided rollback. I'd put less blame on people that it helped for praising it and more on Capcom for still not knowing what they're doing.
The netcode has always had issues.

Now it has an additional, different set of issues, brought on by the netcode hacking debacle.

Aug 26, 2018
日本

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Capcom's rollback netcode has always been an issue since SFxT, they never bother to fix it.

I played it earlier today on the Ps3 and got connected with a Japan player on the Vita. The amount of rollback lag was set a 11, I could not see what was going on screen. Meanwhile the Japanese player jump over my fireballs and AA my jump ins.

In any normal situation like Skullgirls, You would have input delay set at 8 or 10 to smooth out the visual artifact. Meanwhile Capcom "fix" in SFV causes the game to stutter

rude

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time I can't really relate to the problems here; this update actually made connections much better for me. The only difference is that I have to lower the connection settings to 4-5 instead of 5 only to get matches at a consistent rate. 4 bar connections are actually playable now. And NO BRAZILIANS!

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find any matches anymore. Even if I set it to "any."

When I play battle lounges, the connection is always awful, even against people in my own city, against people I've had pitch perfect connections with before.

Capcom has finally done it. They turned SFV into the garbage game haters always proclaimed it was.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They should implement an option to increase range and acceptable higher pings so players that are being affected negatively this recent change - which is some of y'all - can voluntarily flip a switch to get more matches.

(Ideally they should finally figure out how to get the SFV netcode working exactly like GGPO does but I don't think that's going to happen.)

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Fuck man, I hate the online so much now. Wait 30 min, get a Canada player. They are still jittering all around.

Good lord, what did they do.