• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017
It might be the most rediculous OP Ive read in a while. Not to mention, the character passes are constantly on sale.

I still cant belive Capcom charged me $500 for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. The $460 I paid for all those games back in the 80s, 90s and 00s PLUS another $40 for the collection! Capcom is evil!!
It's the costume DLC that is the worst. 500% the price of costumes in SFIV.

My point isn't that I shouldn't pay for DLC, or that the price is too high for the DLC - I see why the title of the thread is misleading. If you read the OP however you'll see my problem is with the relative price and value of that DLC.

On PS4 it's currrently $20 for SFV AE, which means the relative value of season 1 & 2 is something less than $20. At the same time buying seasons 1 & 2 is $30, and that is my only option as someone who owns SFV already.

How can you justify charging $30 for something you are also selling for less than $20? To make things worse, this $10 up charge is exclusive to the people who already own your product.

Tbh I don't think it's anything nefarious. I think it's just ignorance. Nobody at Capcom thought to check on the DLC prices when they put this up for sale.

Maybe there's an argument to be made regarding Capcom trying to get conversions from people who bought used discs of SFV base edition, but even then those people can likely buy the SFV AE bundle and I can't.

Jun 12, 2018
Wait a fucking second I had to read this twice

Are you seriously including the price of the day 1 game to finesse your gripe into being 90 dollars? You fucking bastard.

"Guys I bought Witcher 3 for $60
four years ago
and now I have to pay $85?!?!?!?! to get everything I want"

515ac32b-14fe-45ad-b7a9-b69bd8a2c2e5.png
Thread should have ended here

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The truth is that even after several change of plans midcourse for this game, Capcom still has no idea how to do GaaS

Pretty much they fucked up not only SFV but Marvel vs Capcom Infinite as well. I think it's a deeply risk averse strategy on their part: Killer Instinct and DOA are doing GaaS right.

Imagine a 100% F2P SFVI with an optional pass to buy each season of characters for a flat fee or a la carte and Capcom just makes money on cosmetics. It would probabaly expand the genre in a way hitherto undreamt of...sorry just watched Infinity War again lol.

Oct 25, 2017
My point isn't that I shouldn't pay for DLC, or that the price is too high for the DLC - I see why the title of the thread is misleading. If you read the OP however you'll see my problem is with the relative price and value of that DLC.

On PS4 it's currrently $20 for SFV AE, which means the relative value of season 1 & 2 is something less than $20. At the same time buying seasons 1 & 2 is $30, and that is my only option as someone who owns SFV already.

How can you justify charging $30 for something you are also selling for less than $20? To make things worse, this $10 up charge is exclusive to the people who already own your product.

Tbh I don't think it's anything nefarious. I think it's just ignorance. Nobody at Capcom thought to check on the DLC prices when they put this up for sale.

Maybe there's an argument to be made regarding Capcom trying to get conversions from people who bought used discs of SFV base edition, but even then those people can likely buy the SFV AE bundle and I can't.
The passes go on sale all the time, man. You've waited this long, you can wait a little longer if it's that important to you.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I see two separate complaints. First one is that the price goes down over time, and that one I really can't get behind. If you wait you will always get a better deal.

The second issue, not being able to buy the bundled version when you own the base game, I agree needs to be fixed. I've ran into this a couple times where I own the base game, and I can't buy the bundled version with all the included DLC because I own the base game. It's annoying and needs to be fixed. If I can buy the base game and expansions cheaper than buying the expansions separately and have no way to do this, then it is definitely a problem which needs to be fixed.

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to either wait to buy S1 and S2 on sale for like $20 together iirc, or buy the game physically and return or trade-in the game after redeeming the code.

Idk why it works like that, it's pretty dumb. Pretty sure Steam does the same thing for SFV.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

one price is on sale. the other isn't. i can see complaining about them both not being on sale at the same time or even that you can't buy AE for whatever reason, but when both items were on sale for $15 total like a month ago your point rings a bit hollow.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get this, and PSN does it all the time. Regularly see base game and complete edition sales, but season pass sales almost never go on sale anywhere near as often, if at all for some games.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just hate how Capcom handles DLC in general. There've been so many cases when a base game is a good price, but the DLC for the game in question just ends up causing me to empty my cart without purchasing. It's always Capcom. The fact that Capcom regularly has "DLC sales" really drives this home. I've been so close to purchasing more Street Fighter V content, but I just never do it, because Capcom's handling of DLC is just too confusing and feels exploitative.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
AE isn't a different game from SFV. It's an update. That's why you can't buy it. It's a repackaged version of the same game but with 2 seasons of content thrown in.

OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017
The passes go on sale all the time, man. You've waited this long, you can wait a little longer if it's that important to you.

So help me understand why Arcade Edition is on sale and the character passes aren't.

I get that prices change and sales happen.
one price is on sale. the other isn't. i can see complaining about them both not being on sale at the same time or even that you can't buy AE for whatever reason, but when both items were on sale for $15 total like a month ago your point rings a bit hollow.

That is my entire complaint.

The relative value of the DLC is fucked in AE vs the DLC.

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What sucks more is that the physical release of Arcade Edition doesn't have seasons 1 + 2 on the disc, it's just vanilla with download codes.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that you can't try characters in training mode without buying them.

One of the reasons people buy characters is to train against them, not just play as them.

PSN doesn't allow the separate purchase of SFV arcade edition if you own SFV already

So he's paying more to buy separate DLC packs instead of Capcom pro-rating the DLC pack price to match the Arcade Edition value

It kind of sucks

SFVAE is not really a "new" game, it's just a collection of SFV and two vouchers for the first two season passes. You can't buy the same game twice.

Allow me to clarify:

It's a travesty that someone can buy the entire game with those two DLC packs for $20 and I can't. I'm not pissed that the price of the game went down and I paid $60 at launch - that's expected. I'm pissed that I'd be charged a $10 "early adopter" tax for trying to buy the content as it stands now (DLC is $30 total whereas SFV AE is only $20, let's assume the base game is "free" in that bundle).

Sou Da, can you show me an example of CDPR selling Witcher 3 GOTY (with DLC bundled) for less than the cost of the DLC itself?

Dammit.

Not exactly what you asked for, but GOTY edition of Witcher 3 on GOG is only $5 more than the expansion pass. As an owner of the base TW3, should I feel screwed about this deal? DLC pricing is always wonky in relation to the original base game, down the line.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So help me understand why Arcade Edition is on sale and the character passes aren't.

I get that prices change and sales happen.
As I said previously in this thread, this is the true problem, not the rest of your OP. The S1 pass has been on sale for $5 and the S2 pass has been on sale for $10 before while the AE game was wither $20 or $20, so I'd suggest waiting a bit for them to drop in price again or buying physically, using the codes and then returning the game as was suggested above.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
So we now complaining of game prices going down over time?

Your issue sounds like a PSN issue not a SFV issue. However if the digital version is basically Vanilla plus the two season passes then I can see why you're locked out of getting AE.

Once the CPT starts you will see constant discounts on the season passes especially the older ones on tournament weekends.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the argument honestly. Sounds like you're mad about something that seems to be a psn issue with regards to you not being able to buy SF5:AE for some weird reason, but instead of blaming it on Sony, you're going off on some weird tangent about dlc prices without really explaining it

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
PSN handles bundles in a weird way that leads to issues like this. They really need to just let people buy bundles with dupes like other digital storefronts do, even if they don't prorate.

Does PSN still not let you purchase games if you claimed them on PS+ earlier if your PS+ account is still active? I recall this being an issue where if a game was on sale and you wanted to buy it for when your PS+ expired, you couldn't do it.

OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons people buy characters is to train against them, not just play as them.

SFVAE is not really a "new" game, it's just a collection of SFV and two vouchers for the first two season passes. You can't buy the same game twice.

Not exactly what you asked for, but GOTY edition of Witcher 3 on GOG is only $5 more than the expansion pass. As an owner of the base TW3, should I feel screwed about this deal? DLC pricing is always wonky in relation to the original base game, down the line.

Whether you feel screwed or not is up to you. Bottom line is that CDPR is selling the DLC for less than the cost of the game + DLC, which is more than I can say of Capcom.

Oct 25, 2017
OP do you play online a lot? Would it be a problem to create a new PSN acct and new CFN? I assume if you did that you could get the AE like you want to. I could be wrong though.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
As I write this, Street Fighter V Arcade Edition is on sale on PS4 for $20 down from $40.

Arcade Edition (if I'm correct) includes the base SFV game + all season 1 & 2 characters, which are paid characters if you only own the base game.

I own the base game, which I paid $60 for, without any DLC. If I want to access the season 1 & 2 DLC characters I have to purchase them separately because PSN will not allow me to buy SFV Arcade Edition due to me already owning base SFV digitally. PSN sells Season 1 for $10 and Season 2 for $20.

Here we are in the year of our lord 2018 and I am required to shell out a total of $90 for something Capcom and Sony will currently sell me for $20.

How Capcom did AE is a total mess.

I'm still waiting for a SFV Ultimate Edition or something that actually has all the content on disc.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely an issue of AE just being SFV + the two separate dlcs in a bundle. There isn't really an AE version of the game so maybe that's why psn isn't letting you buy into the AE bundle.

Of course there's probably ways around this but hey I'm not Capcom

Even the physical copy of AE is simply regular old SFV with new packaging (box and disc label) and a DLC voucher, hence why the menu icon is the same as vanilla SFV.
How Capcom did AE is a total mess.

I'm still waiting for a SFV Ultimate Edition or something that actually has all the content on disc.
This will never happen with how much costume and stage DLC there is.

OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get the argument honestly. Sounds like you're mad about something that seems to be a psn issue with regards to you not being able to buy SF5:AE for some weird reason, but instead of blaming it on Sony, you're going off on some weird tangent about dlc prices without really explaining it

I've called out Sony in the OP or at least I meant to. I'll go back and update if I haven't. Their bundle policy is indeed at the heart of my issue.

That being said, Capcom knows Sony's policy and could have easily adapted to it by discounting the relevant DLC as well. By not doing so, they're charging $10 more for people who already paid more for less.

Capcom could have looked at the sale price of AE, and then discounted S1&2 character passes so that they cost the same as AE at a minimum. It makes no sense to charge more for less.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm still waiting for the final edition. I was going to get the AE, but why bother when the full version will be the same price eventually.

If you're a regular online player I can see why you'd want to jump in day one, I was the same myself up to SF4, but their pricing and DLC model is just so far away from how I buy games these days, I'd rather say FU and pay £20 for the lot after the game is dead.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
I've called out Sony in the OP or at least I meant to. I'll go back and update if I haven't. Their bundle policy is indeed at the heart of my issue.

That being said, Capcom knows Sony's policy and could have easily adapted to it by discounting the relevant DLC as well. By not doing so, they're charging $10 more for people who already paid more for less.

Capcom could have looked at the sale price of AE, and then discounted S1&2 character passes so that they cost the same as AE at a minimum. It makes no sense to charge more for less.

Its "Games under $20" sale. Why the DLC would be on sale?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing weekly for a few hours at a time but after the last fight money nerf the other week. I've just deleted it. They really fucked that game up. A damn shame. No gold soldiers to fight. No weekly mission for 2500. I can't even afford to do the weekly costume fight. I had 3 out of 4 for Abigail's mech suit and then they stop fight money missions Absolute bs.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Every game publisher structures their DLC so the most bundled piece is the cheapest. Don't call Capcom out for standard practice.

If all you want is S1 & S2, why not buy a physical copy of AE, redeem the DLC code, then trade the disc in at a GameStop or wherever?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I've been playing weekly for a few hours at a time but after the last fight money nerf the other week. I've just deleted it. They really fucked that game up. A damn shame. No gold soldiers to fight. No weekly mission for 2500. I can't even afford to do the weekly costume fight. I had 3 out of 4 for Abigail's mech suit and then they stop fight money missions Absolute bs.
Yup, FM was a great concept for a couple of years more or less, then they totally botched it and I can't help but think they're slowly killing support for the game and maybe prepping for SFVI in 2020?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, FM was a great concept for a couple of years more or less, then they totally botched it and I can't help but think they're slowly killing support for the game and maybe prepping for SFVI in 2020?
I question an SFVI happening anytime soon, let alone in only a year from now. Wouldn't have been much point to spending resources developing an actual arcade release for SFV this late, either.

Apr 21, 2018
I've learned certain developers to wait on. Capcom and Ubi Soft are always worth waiting. They push their sales so aggressively and quickly you can save a lot. I got Revelations 2 with DLC for $15.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Capcom with SFV adopted a F2P model while selling a triple A game. 60€ PC release or 70€ console release, three season passes plus a fuckton of costume dlcs.
But it's nothing new, on SNES they used to release a SF2 version everytime it used to rain.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I said their DLC model was so bad. I was actually convinced they wouldn't release a budget version like AE because of how it would destroy the value of their established business model.

but surprisingly they did release a budget version, and unsurprisingly it made their digital store prices nonsensical. They just lock you into the initially agreed prices if you bought early instead of adjusting them to reflect the new value of the content with the new skus. People who waited get the steep discounts to jump in are rewarded, but if you bought the game at full price and just didn't keep up with the DLC releases over the years you are punished for that for some reason lol

I had the same issue as you. Way to get around it is unfortunately to just buy it physical. I think the Physical AE was on sale on amazon for like 15 a couple months ago so I just picked up that version. I'd rather have it Digital but no way I'm paying those prices when I can just get everything for 15

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 is fully backwards compatible that won't be coming either.
They'll release a PS4 sku with everything or almost everything at some point I think.

Edit: I shouldn't say everything, I just meant characters and their battle costumes. Capcom will never put ALL the content in a single cheap package.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I said their DLC model was so bad. I was actually convinced they wouldn't release a budget version like AE because of how it would destroy the value of their established business model.

And it did. They just lock you into the agreed prices if you bought early. People who waited get the steep discounts to catch up, but if you didn't keep up with the DLC releases over the years you have to pay for that for already having the game lol

I had the same issue as you. Way to get around it is unfortunately to just buy it physical. I think the Physical AE was on sale on amazon for like 15 a couple months ago so I just picked up that version
Season passes are on sale several times a year, just not as often as the full package has been lately.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get your frustration. SFV launched with hardly any characters, and you have to play so much if you want to use fight money. It was using shitty f2p tactics for a paid game

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I get your frustration. SFV launched with hardly any characters, and you have to play so much if you want to use fight money. It was using shitty f2p tactics for a paid game
That's the thing with new numbered Street Fighter games. They start from scratch asset-wise, thus leading to a smaller launch roster. The difference with SFV is that it came to PS4 & PC first, so there wasn't an arcade version to buy extra time to make more characters.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I question an SFVI happening anytime soon, let alone in only a year from now. Wouldn't have been much point to spending resources developing an actual arcade release for SFV this late, either.
Yeah you're right, forgot about the arcade release. 2022 would be more likely, though I wonder how they plan to keep interest in the scene if the game looks like it's getting less support this year. Maybe they'll just ride our 2020 offering the bare minimum?

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I agree that it is stupid that you can't buy AE if you have the base game digitally.

I do not agree with the overpriced and alienating part. This is standard pricing for pretty much all fighting game DLC. If you bought DBZF at launch with the season pass that would have been $90. Smash Ultimte at launch with the season pass was and is still $85.

Game prices go down over time. SFV does not cost as much now as it did in 2016. The physical edition of AE is $20 at Best Buy right now.

Reading the OP I see you're not nessecarily complaining about what the thread title is. It's more the weird prices of the dlc on PSN (which is stupid), but I see the fighting game dlc sentiment a lot about one specific game at a time when they all price very similarly.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is literally just that you can't buy AE if you own the base game digitally already. I agree, that's a shame and I'd probably be irritated in your position. However, the DLC pricing outside of that context is fine.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're right, forgot about the arcade release. 2022 would be more likely, though I wonder how they plan to keep interest in the scene if the game looks like it's getting less support this year. Maybe they'll just ride our 2020 offering the bare minimum?
Personally, I have no idea what Capcom want or expect with the lack of communication on what they want to do with content for S4, or how they expect to maintain interest by going out of their way to make the Fight Money economy nonviable (there's no real point to checking in weekly anymore the way things work now).

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it is stupid that you can't buy AE if you have the base game digitally.

I do not agree with the overpriced and alienating part. This is standard pricing for pretty much all fighting game DLC. If you bought DBZF at launch with the season pass that would have been $90. Smash Ultimte at launch with the season pass was and is still $85.

Game prices go down over time. SFV does not cost as much now as it did in 2016. The physical edition of AE is $20 at Best Buy right now.

Reading the OP I see you're not nessecarily complaining about what the thread title is. It's more the weird prices of the dlc on PSN (which is stupid), but I see the fighting game dlc sentiment a lot about one specific game at a time when they all price very similarly.

The issue is being locked out of buying the cheaper version because you already bought the most expensive version years ago, and there being no good equivalent option for you

No other fighting game has a dlc situation like this. There's just the game and the DLC.

For SFV there's the game, the DLC, and the game and the DLC that's cheaper than both individually for some reason but unavailable to you if you purchased either one prior to its release

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
The issue is being locked out of buying the cheaper version because you already bought the most expensive version years ago, and there being on good equivalent option for you

No other fighting game has a dlc situation like this.
Which I said in my post. My point is that the issue here isnt what the thread title implies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The issue is being locked out of buying the cheaper version because you already bought the most expensive version years ago, and there being no good equivalent option for you

No other fighting game has a dlc situation like this. There's just the game and the DLC.

For SFV there's the game, the DLC, and the game and the DLC that's cheaper than both individually for some reason but unavailable to you if you purchased either one prior to its release
Wouldn't the solution to this be buying the physical version of SFV AE for $20 . You can get it at that price at the moment at Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop and that appears to be its regular price at those retailers.