• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know I think calling it alienating is fair. There's actual payment pitfalls in SFV's model and it can make the simple act of buying the game and its content frustrating for people. It's poorly thought out and they're just adding more stuff on top of it without thinking of if it makes any value sense for the future.

You can say the prices are the same as other games, but we're not comparing it to other games. We're comparing it to itself. Buying the game and one character makes absolutely no sense when you can get the entire game and 10 DLC characters for the same price, but it's still an option available for uninformed consumers to fall into. Because of that the first option just feels like a trap. There shouldn't be a "wrong" option available to your consumers on your marketplace.

Wouldn't the solution to this be buying the physical version of SFV AE for $20 . You can get it at that price at the moment at Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop and that appears to be its regular price at those retailers.

Technically that's the solution, but I think it's a shitty one when you bought the game digital primarily for the convenience of having it digital.

Last edited:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
For PS4 Pro? I seriously doubt it. In terms of performance, especially when the netcode is involved, this game seems to be hanging on by a thread. I doubt Capcom wants to devote the resources to QAing a technical change like this so late in the product's life.
Thats a real shame because compared to the competition its really starting to show its age.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always a little confused at the intensity of the arguments against it being overpriced. That being said, I don't agree with every statement OP said but I do think it's overpriced and even when FM was less of a joke than it is now, there was still so much stuff locked out from being purchased with it if memory serves. Also a lot of the "bundles" they keep selling seem to exclude stuff like costumes and stages that other games would include or would give to the player base outright.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
And that's why I'm not touching Street Fighter V until they finish the DLC and release some final edition. And hopefully that gets ported to other systems.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Allow me to clarify:

It's a travesty that someone can buy the entire game with those two DLC packs for $20 and I can't. I'm not pissed that the price of the game went down and I paid $60 at launch - that's expected. I'm pissed that I'd be charged a $10 "early adopter" tax for trying to buy the content as it stands now (DLC is $30 total whereas SFV AE is only $20, let's assume the base game is "free" in that bundle).

This is bullshit and I agree, but I think it's a PS store thing. They don't let you rebuy things you already "own", even as part of a bundle. Makes me pissed off sometimes when I can't buy something that's way on sale to permanently own it because I "own" it through PS+ already.

Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to buy AE when it's on sale on PSN because you previously bought Vanilla via the store is frustrating.

OP you should have a look at getting a retail copy of AE if you are still keen and want to find one for a decent price.

The codes for Season 1 and 2 are included in the box.

Failing that, wait for another sale. They put that shit on sale pretty often.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a little confused at the intensity of the arguments against it being overpriced. That being said, I don't agree with every statement OP said but I do think it's overpriced and even when FM was less of a joke than it is now, there was still so much stuff locked out from being purchased with it if memory serves. Also a lot of the "bundles" they keep selling seem to exclude stuff like costumes and stages that other games would include or would give to the player base outright.

I just think of it in comparison to KI

KI also let you buy characters piecemeal, but as soon as you spent the same amount on single characters as the cost of an entire season, it just automatically gave you the entire season. There were no pitfalls in its system that would overcharge players. It always ensured that you got the best deal for the content without having to think about it.

In comparison to SFV where you're locked out of buying the best deals if you bought the game already and there's no limit to how much you can overspend. It just isn't well thought out at all.

This is bullshit and I agree, but I think it's a PS store thing. They don't let you rebuy things you already "own", even as part of a bundle. Makes me pissed off sometimes when I can't buy something that's way on sale to permanently own it because I "own" it through PS+ already.

Capcom decides when stuff goes on sale and what for. It'd be less of an issue if older seasons just went on sale at the same time. 50% discount on both seasons would allow people who own it to pick it up for 5 dollars cheaper than the bundle with the game, which is more than fair.

but the season passes don't go on sale at the same time as AE. and because they aren't games, when they do go on sale(I've never seen it but I'll trust people who say they have) it isn't advertised or put on the front page like AE

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom decides when stuff goes on sale and what for. It'd be less of an issue if older seasons just went on sale at the same time. 50% discount on both seasons would allow people who own it to pick it up for 5 dollars cheaper than the bundle with the game, which is more than fair.

but the season passes don't go on sale at the same time as AE. and because they aren't games, when they do go on sale(I've never seen it but I'll trust people who say they have) it isn't advertised or put on the front page like AE

So wait for a different sale? The season passes go on sale frequently.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Learned my lesson last gen. The only fighting game I bought at launch this gen was Smash Bros. because it had such an insane amount of content on the cart on launch day that the value proposition could not be denied.

Other than that I've been waiting until they're finished making fighting games before buying them all gen long.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
Learned my lesson last gen. The only fighting game I bought at launch this gen was Smash Bros. because it had such an insane amount of content on the cart on launch day that the value proposition could not be denied.

Other than that I've been waiting until they're finished making fighting games before buying them all gen long.

As someone who buys just about every fighting game so that people can use my system as a setup when it bring it to tournaments, SFV is the only one I've had any issue with getting a current up to date digital version.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a real shame because compared to the competition its really starting to show its age.
Better image quality isn't going to do much for people who prefer the aesthetics of other contemporary fighters. It will always have low res stage textures and clay-style characters regardless of resolution.

Granted I'm on the PC version so I might not be appreciating the potential of a PS4 image quality bump.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I just think of it in comparison to KI

KI also let you buy characters piecemeal, but as soon as you spent the same amount on single characters as the cost of an entire season, it just automatically gave you the entire season. There were no pitfalls in its system that would overcharge players. It always ensured that you got the best deal for the content without having to think about it.

In comparison to SFV where you're locked out of buying the best deals if you bought the game already and there's no limit to how much you can overspend. It just isn't well thought out at all.

I didn't know KI did that, and I think that's a fantastic system. Would probably be enough to get people who would buy characters piecemeal to deicde to getthe entire season, which I would assume is the point.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the reasons people buy characters is to train against them, not just play as them.

Yes, which is why it is exceedingly scummy to require characters to be purchased for training mode. You can be matched against new characters in ranked, but can't actually check on their move properties (punishes, hit boxes, gaps in pressure) without buying them for yourself.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, which is why it is exceedingly scummy to require characters to be purchased for training mode. You can be matched against new characters in ranked, but can't actually check on their move properties (punishes, hit boxes, gaps in pressure) without buying them for yourself.
Sure sucks for those people.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Better image quality isn't going to do much for people who prefer the aesthetics of other contemporary fighters. It will always have low res stage textures and clay-style characters regardless of resolution.

Granted I'm on the PC version so I might not be appreciating the potential of a PS4 image quality bump.
Not so much bothered about that. Its the jagginess of it. Especially the shadows on the fighters. Looks rough

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I think "exceedingly scummy" is a huge hyperbole.
I don't think people are entitled to unlimited training use with content.

If you don't want to buy them, you learn the matchups as you play online. If you want to lab with the character, buy it.