• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, although i guess i should have been more specific. How much did it ship to begin with, and how much did it ship in the upcoming years/quarters? I just find it strange if many stores still has this game in their bargain bin for clearance, and this being a noticeable reason for the last quarter increase.
The shipment numbers are in the OP?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Uh

steamstatszojln.png

That is very healthy for a fighting game on PC, especially one that is almost 4 years old now. PS4 most likely has much more than that (and the game supports crossplay so the playerbase isn't split like every other fighting game)

DBFZ in comparison is only a year old and doesn't even have half these numbers despite obviously selling a lot more.

These are pretty solid numbers for a fighting game on PC.

Happy to see SFV sales picking up.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know how much is it making and if it's more or less than SFIV, but the fact that SFIV sold much more and also had a ton of stuff to purchase on the side makes me confident that it was making more money, if only because it reached more people.
SF4's costumes were way cheaper. Both games' DLC models are not even remotely comparable.

And of course I agree that if SFV actually released on Xbox One it'd have sold more, but I don't consider that an excuse because it's entirely Capcom's fault to have released the game only on two platforms.
It's not very smart to disregard relevant information when comparing sales numbers just because you don't like it.
That said I disagree that many fighting games took inspiration from SFV's model. SFV's unique selling point was that you didn't need to purchase any DLC to have all the characters thanks to fight money, and it's still today what caused its demise and why it's the only one still doing this.
Oh fuck outta here man. Before SFV not a single fighting game enjoyed this level of continued, free updates for several years. Fight money or no fight money.

And what DEMISE? It's been 42 months after its release date and it's still getting support. It IS working.

It also made them unable to soft reboot the game with expansions like SFIV. As far as I know, no successful FG released since SFV adopting a similar model.

Oh really? Where's Tekken 7's soft reboot? Where's DBFZ's soft reboot? Where's SC6's soft reboot? Where's BBTAG's soft reboot? NOBODY is doing mandatory expansions anymore (except for ultra niche devs like French Bread).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what he meant is that most other fighting games have adopted the seasonal DLC structure of SFV & moved away from SFIV's "release a new DLC expansion or an entirely new release for what's essentially an updated version of the same game" structure. With that said, Capcom gets more per alternate costume in SFV due to the price tag being higher.

Idk I wouldn't consider releasing DLC characters that way as being inspired by SFV's model but in any case I was more talking about the monetisation model of the game versus the one of most other fighting games.

SF4's costumes were way cheaper. Both game's DLC models are not even remotely comparable.

It's not very smart to disregard relevant information when comparing sales numbers just because you don't like it.

Oh fuck outta here man. Before SFV not a single fighting game enjoyed this level of continued, free support. Fight money or no fight money.

And what DEMISE? It's been 42 months after its release date and it's still getting support. It IS working.

Oh really? Where's Tekken 7's soft reboot? Where's DBFZ's soft reboot? Where's SC6's soft reboot? Where's BBTAG's soft reboot? NOBODY is doing mandatory expansions anymore (except for ultra niche devs like French Bread).

No idea why you're angry like that. Chill out a bit.

We're not talking about the same stuff. The model I was talking about is not having to spend money to buy characters by using FM. No other game is doing that and while it was meant to be its selling point, it worked against it. That's all. The fact that they're not making expansions anymore is not what I was talking about.

And I'm not disregarding relevant comparisons. I'm saying that while it's true that if it released on more platforms it'd have sold more, it's not in my opinion justifying the thought that "since it'd have sold more on more platforms, it's okay that it sold less by only going for two" because it was Capcom's bet to go only for PS4 and PC.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's basically the mystery Jawmuncher is making a thread about inn'it?
Yeah, but the guy i first quoted said that it was a combination about the Playstation Hits version combined with bargain bin sales, so i was just questioning that statement :) When i first asked about shipping numbers, i was thinking maybe that they shipped 3.7 million a while ago, while the 600k was just extra sales, not including any new shipments. If they shipped 3.7 million a while ago, i could definitelly see that bargain bin sales being a noticeable part of those 600k sales.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the guy i first quoted said that it was a combination about the Playstation Hits version combined with bargain bin sales, so i was just questioning that statement :)
The other scenario is a lot of downloads, as historically speaking SFV has mostly been cheaper than buying retail for a while. And what sort of downloads are being counted towards this number is a bit of an unknown. There's no real logical reason why there's a sudden huge spike in shipment amounts after March into June with the meager amount posted January-March, as they already combined Vanilla and Arcade back in December.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
Its GaaS

its more drip than pour for them

BUT who knows what going on at capcom HQ

just keep pumpin out more DLC characters

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the guy i first quoted said that it was a combination about the Playstation Hits version combined with bargain bin sales, so i was just questioning that statement :) When i first asked about shipping numbers, i was thinking maybe that they shipped 3.7 million a while ago, while the 600k was just extra sales, not including any new shipments. If they shipped 3.7 million a while ago, i could definitelly see that bargain bin sales being a noticeable part of those 600k sales.

I was just making a guess tho.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I wouldn't consider releasing DLC characters that way as being inspired by SFV's model but in any case I was more talking about the monetisation model of the game versus the one of most other fighting games.

We're not talking about the same stuff. The model I was talking about is not having to spend money to buy characters by using FM.

These were my words that you were responding to:

"After SFV basically every major fighting game has adopted the same model of having continued free updates while supporting themselves with DLC."

Is it the exact same kind of monetization model? It's not, but it doesn't make it any less true. SFV started this ball rolling in the fighting game space. Personally, I wish other fighters would let me acquire characters without paying a dime, but that's besides the point.

And I'm not disregarding relevant comparisons. I'm saying that while it's true that if it released on more platforms it'd have sold more
Okay then.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I was answering to the last part of the post specifically. Read the whole thing.

As for the reason of the sudden larger number of sales, I'd say that going on playstation hits combined with the numerous bargain bin sales is why. But it's nothing significant enough to be promoted by Capcom, because the results of this game are still largely disappointing seeing where it comes from. Unlike MHW.

Fair point!

I'd say it's worth promoting (or at least spinning) if there's a noteworthy reason for a sudden uptick in sales, but yeah, if it's something as mundane as them fudging the numbers then there's no sense drawing attention to it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure they make far more money on selling DLC than actual units sold. They might as well eventually give the base game away free

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they just adjusted their numbers. Does it explicitly say it sold 600k this quarter or are the new numbers simply adding up to 600k more? If it's the latter then yeah maybe the sales tracking were behind and had to be adjusted.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The other scenario is a lot of downloads, as historically speaking SFV has mostly been cheaper than buying retail for a while. And what sort of downloads are being counted towards this number is a bit of an unknown. There's no real logical reason why there's a sudden huge spike in shipment amounts after March into June with the meager amount posted January-March, as they already combined Vanilla and Arcade back in December.
Yeah, download sales could be a big part of it, indeed.

I was just making a guess tho.
Sure, no problem. Thats why i also asked a question instead of just saying 100% sure that this isnt the case (about bargain bins being a bigger part of the 600k number) :)

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh

steamstatszojln.png

That is very healthy for a fighting game on PC, especially one that is almost 4 years old now. PS4 most likely has much more than that (and the game supports crossplay so the playerbase isn't split like every other fighting game)

DBFZ in comparison is only a year old and doesn't even have half these numbers despite obviously selling a lot more.

I appreciate this post.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thats nice and all but let me, a proffrsional, explain to you why it doesnt matter and why SFV is a massive failure that doomed Capcom:
point a) Kens face
point 2) no xbox one All-in-one entertainment system TM version
Point 3) The game didnt give me a blowjob, what gives

In conclusion, fuck Campcom

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SFV selling 3.7 millions after more than three years on the market is not a milestone worth celebrating. It's a big decline from SFIV and proof of the failure of the model they used this time.

How do you know how successful the SFV model is compared to IV? Comparing just units sold tells you nothing because of vastly different business models and number of platforms.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks jaw. Good research. I'm glad SFV is still selling well. They might hit 4 million by the end of the year. Keep those characters & awesome costumes coming Capcom!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
My guess is also playstation hits. If so I can only imagine what the bigger games sold on there. But that's a great indication for the value of having your game on that list.

If these sales can keep up SFV will end up with a very impressive total.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
SFV has many more avenues of making money than SF4, who knows how profitable it is, but the fact is Capcom keeps making premium costumes for the thing so they must be working. But I also agree it's not really something to celebrate. They didn't say anything when SFV broke three million either. As far as hard units sold I have to assume the game is a disappointment for both Capcom and Sony (since they bought the console exclusivity rights). But its relative failure speaks nothing about the game's "model", more like the game's shit-state of a launch. After SFV basically every major fighting game has adopted the same model of having continued free updates while supporting themselves with DLC. Are they are all failures?

Tekken however was released on an additional platform. If SFV was available on XB1 it most likely would've sold more than T7 at this point.
This has been the big takeaway for me that the model of release and support long term with characters and costumes is super successful for the genre. The only thing Capcom needs to do with their next fighting game is get the launch right. That and make sure your "package" is full.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This has been the big takeaway for me that the model of release and support long term with characters and costumes is super successful for the genre. The only thing Capcom needs to do with their next fighting game is get the launch right. That and make sure your "package" is full.
This post nails it. One of SFV's biggest failing was its anemic launch, which should be rectified come SFVI.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom does not care about this game's sales. They just sit back and let the dedicated whales they have buy their 700 costume packs/CPT bundles/monthly new costume releases.

The game is quietly profitable.

Yep. Don't ignore this post.

The phenomenon of people buying costumes for characters they don't and will never use continues.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the answer is heavy discounts. You can get the base version of SFV for about five bucks. However, the big question is how many people purchased DLC. I'm going to assume that it wasn't enough people to make this the most profitable Street Fighter game, or they would have shared those statistics. However, considering the steady stream of costumes they have been releasing, it must be enough to justify their continued production.

One day I hope we get a detailed breakdown of SFV's sales (including all the DLC).

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the answer is heavy discounts. You can get the base version of SFV for about five bucks. However, the big question is how many people purchased DLC. I'm going to assume that it wasn't enough people to make this the most profitable Street Fighter game, or they would have shared those statistics. However, considering the steady stream of costumes they have been releasing, it must be enough to justify their continued production.

One day I hope we get a detailed breakdown of SFV's sales (including all the DLC).
That would be something. Just to see how they learned from trying out a new model.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that Capcom hate, trying to spin this as bad news , Street fighter V is so good

Oct 28, 2017
SFV should go F2P with a rotating free character selection every few days, or week. Amazed it hasn't done it yet. Would do wonders to drag people into buying characters, or character packs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SFV will never be F2P. Would set a bad precedent for the future. Cue complaints of WHY ISN'T SF6 FREE.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope every publisher sees this and takes season passes, rollback netcode and crossplay as the new standard for 2D fighters.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
You don't make an announcement when you hit 3.7 million 3 and a half years after the fact. They'll definitely make an announcement when they cross 4 million, though.

SFV will never be F2P. Would set a bad precedent for the future. Cue complaints of WHY ISN'T SF6 FREE.

It wouldn't just be a bad precedent for the future, it would be bad business in the present. They already make bank off of DLC like a F2P game (I'm assuming by how much cosmetic DLC this game gets compared to every other fighting game that isn't DOA) AND they move hundreds of thousands of units each and every quarter.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
SFV selling 3.7 millions after more than three years on the market is not a milestone worth celebrating. It's a big decline from SFIV and proof of the failure of the model they used this time.

Tekken 7 released more than a year later, the comparison doesn't stand in favour of SFV.
Worth noting that Tekken 7 is on 3 platforms while SFV is on 2.

SFV is free trial on steam right now with the season 3 content.
He was responding to this post:

A lot of free trials and sales lately.

But it doesn't reflect the daily player count which remains stagnant.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So Tekken 7 sold 4 million way faster than SF5. Tekken 7's clearly the better game right?

#ImNotSayin #JustSayin

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what he meant is that most other fighting games have adopted the seasonal DLC structure of SFV & moved away from SFIV's "release a new DLC expansion or an entirely new release for what's essentially an updated version of the same game" structure. With that said, Capcom gets more per alternate costume in SFV due to the price tag being higher.
What's funny is that SFV appears to be moving away from the pass structure given the scuttlebutt we've had passed along. Word was that JP management believes that AE not launching with all 6 S3 characters ready to go day 1 was a big mistake that hurt sales of AE, which is why we're now seeing the move to character bundles released in batches and Kage's solo release.

I'm not sure if they're right, but I think doing the A/B testing here w/ SFV is a good idea to test the hypothesis.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That said I disagree that many fighting games took inspiration from SFV's model. SFV's unique selling point was that you didn't need to purchase any DLC to have all the characters thanks to fight money, and it's still today what caused its demise and why it's the only one still doing this. It resulted of that mechanic that the game launched light on content while being very grind focused. It also made them unable to soft reboot the game with expansions like SFIV. As far as I know, no successful FG released since SFV adopting a similar model.
Yes, the selling point was that you could earn more characters if you earned fight money. You can still do that. The problem that led to the FM reductions is that they botched the implementation and it wasn't future-proofed so that you wouldn't get 2M+ FM off the bat when buying a future compilation like AE Deluxe. A system where fight money was tied to big FM missions and character XP instead of actually playing the game on a regular basis was a serious mistake they made when coming up with the system that they can't really fix until SF6.

You can still earn FM by grinding out a lot of playtime, but this is going to only be appealing to people who have far more time than money, i.e. kids. Even in a corrected system in the future, that's still going to be true. As an adult just paying 5 bucks for a character is a much better move because money's way easier to come by money than time.