• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it for $8 right after Evo because I got inspired to try and get into fighting games. Enjoying it a lot so far. Probably gonna grab that first character pack since it's pretty cheap right now.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Capcom has said anything because what are they going to say really? If it hit a figure like 4m then sure, let it be known. Are they really going to put out some official announcement because the sales have picked up by xyz % ? I don't think that's a common thing to do, especially when a good part of the reason is likely down to the game being available for cheaper.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't think Capcom has said anything because what are they going to say really? If it hit a figure like 4m then sure, let it be known. Are they really going to put out some official announcement because the sales have picked up by xyz % ? I don't think that's a common thing to do, especially when a good part of the reason is likely down to the game being available for cheaper.
Its common to do in the FY reports and time and time again capcom just pretends SFV thing isn't a thing there. As an example RE7 sold less and was applauded, despite being in the same price range.
I definitely get not making a twee about 3.7 million, but I don't even remember a tweet for 3.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Its common to do in the FY reports and time and time again capcom just pretends SFV thing isn't a thing there. As an example RE7 sold less and was applauded, despite being in the same price range.
I definitely get not making a twee about 3.7 million, but I don't even remember a tweet for 3.

I don't remember a 3 million tweet either. It could be internal Capcom politics, though. The fighting game division has changed leadership during SFV's lifetime, and SFV is the black sheep during this current Capcom renaissance.

All the more reason to keep quiet about the current game until major milestones are passed.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember a 3 million tweet either. It could be internal Capcom politics, though. The fighting game division has changed leadership during SFV's lifetime, and SFV is the black sheep during this current Capcom renaissance.

All the more reason to keep quiet about the current game until major milestones are passed.
A rule of creative and/or corporate enterprise: people generally only talk up things that they themselves created. It's a reason you end up with places like Google/Microsoft implanting unnecessary new features or protocols alongside management change because the new person wants to be able to take credit for something and won't get any if they just maintain what was already working

Because Ono was behind SFV and he's now demoted, no one's going to be pushing it to take credit for it despite the improvement and I believe the consistent DLC sales.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A rule of creative and/or corporate enterprise: people generally only talk up things that they themselves created. It's a reason you end up with places like Google/Microsoft implanting unnecessary new features or protocols alongside management change because the new person wants to be able to take credit for something and won't get any if they just maintain what was already working

Because Ono was behind SFV and he's now demoted, no one's going to be pushing it to take credit for it despite the improvement and I believe the consistent DLC sales.

Poor Ono, man. Takes all the heat for SFV's failures, gets none of the credit for the successes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

But isn't Ono still in charge of the fighting game team? If I recall, he's just not in charge of Division 2 anymore as a result of the merger.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But isn't Ono still in charge of the fighting game team? If I recall, he's just not in charge of Division 2 anymore as a result of the merger.
I believe he's specifically in charge of e-sports and licensing for SF now. Non-production role, though he'd still be a part of overall brand decision-making in that position and be able to consult on virtually anything they could use his help on.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Oddly enough, after resisting this for so long because of its stupid marking strategy of releasing a basic ass vanilla version, slow drip release of new fighters/stages/costumes which unlock via dlc/mtx (or grinding in game money), along with extremely late add of story/arcade mode stuff and whatnot, I finally bit on the vanilla version 3 days ago, when I saw it for $8 on PSN, after watching some EVO vids and feeling like playing a fighter (and having enjoyed playing past games in the series.

I just figured, for $8, what the hell. You get the core guys on the roster, can unlock others through gameplay (and I honestly only play a handful of guys at best anyway, and since you get Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Zangief, plus others I'm pretty good for my character preferences. I might only need to unlock a handful more that look like they might appeal to me (which I should be able to do via in game currency) and I'm good to do my online Street Fighter thing for when I get the competitive fighter bug. $8 obviously feels like a ridiculously nice price, even with a shrunk down roster, and you still get all the arcade/story stuff released later for free. I still maintain it was fucked up of them to sell what they did for $59.99 back on day one. But I'm fine with my purchase for $8.

So anyway, that's how they got me "in" recently.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's far past the time where SFV is labelled as a dead game and as a failure.

Number of copies itself don't mean as much especially for modern day fighting games compared to even PS3 era games. SF4 had Super, AE and then Ultra editions to boost its total sale numbers but SFV didn't have that. Instead SFV had a ton of DLC every year which is continuing now. Both cosmetic and actual characters. How do we quantify revenue made by both games reasonably?

It's safe to say that Capcom would not spend all that effort supporting a game that is a constant money sink. Some sort of profit must be had from making all those Chun Li costumes. Maybe a case can be made that SFV turned around its reputation over time and certainly major strides were made to improve the game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised by the loads of salt in this thread.

Also the game showed up on Japanese Media Create multiple times and also once on LATAM Top 10 PSN charts. There could be multiple reasons for this and probably all of them combined.

1) Discounted copies
2) Additional marketing budget now that Capcom has more money
3) Free Weekends allowed gamers who initially skipped out because of content to come back in

Evo and the game currently being on sale for $8 caused a spike, so we don't know how long that will last.

The game has been hovering around 2k-5k CCU for the past 3 years. Excluding the launch year where numbers were higher. Outside of Tekken 7 , I don't think any other Fighter has had this much activity for such a long period.

SFV selling 3.7 millions after more than three years on the market is not a milestone worth celebrating. It's a big decline from SFIV and proof of the failure of the model they used this time.

Tekken 7 released more than a year later, the comparison doesn't stand in favour of SFV.

Tekken 7 also has another platform and only 300k more sales. If SFV is a "Failure" then Tekken 7 isn't that much of a success either.

I feel like it's far past the time where SFV is labelled as a dead game and as a failure.

Number of copies itself don't mean as much especially for modern day fighting games compared to even PS3 era games. SF4 had Super, AE and then Ultra editions to boost its total sale numbers but SFV didn't have that. Instead SFV had a ton of DLC every year which is continuing now. Both cosmetic and actual characters. How do we quantify revenue made by both games reasonably?

It's safe to say that Capcom would not spend all that effort supporting a game that is a constant money sink. Some sort of profit must be had from making all those Chun Li costumes. Maybe a case can be made that SFV turned around its reputation over time and certainly major strides were made to improve the game.

This is true. Given how fast Capcom dropped MvCI , Capcom supporting SFV for nearly 4 years and possibly another year is more than enough proof that the games DLC has been bringing in a good amount of revenue.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if it's due to the low average selling price. It can't be selling for more than $20 or $25 on average

Not sure what current pricing is but it was selling at $15 a month or two after release and has popped up for $10 a number of times since. I imagine a majority of sales were sub $30 which isn't something to celebrate.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SFV selling 3.7 millions after more than three years on the market is not a milestone worth celebrating. It's a big decline from SFIV and proof of the failure of the model they used this time.

Tekken 7 released more than a year later, the comparison doesn't stand in favour of SFV.
I doubt they care if it "sold less" when they're getting way more via microtransactions and DLC. They continue to release them at a steady pace so they're clearly garnering attention.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what current pricing is but it was selling at $15 a month or two after release and has popped up for $10 a number of times since. I imagine a majority of sales were sub $30 which isn't something to celebrate.

It most definitely is , since most other fighters outside of Smash go on heavy discounts as well. Not to mention this game keeps getting new content added.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game seems to always be included in all of the the psn sales. i'm sure that has a lot to do with it. new ps4 owners won't hesistate to pick up the super edition bundle and many fence sitters finally jump in thanks to the low price.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
So Tekken 7 sold 4 million way faster than SF5. Tekken 7's clearly the better game right?

#ImNotSayin #JustSayin

You're just saying that because Pakistan dominates Tekken. If they dominated SFV you'd be singing a different time. And you're still bitter at Capcom for not making Fang top tier. The bias is too real :p

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware SFV forced you to buy costumes.
I mean, if you want to use them yes? Oh or did you mean that I can opt to just play the game without any? which obviously I can, but I can also just play Tekken that doesn't do that.

I can't help but be repulsed by how gross most of the faces are in SF5 still too, the animations are GREAt and I think the models look mostly fantastic, but the faces...just like playdough or something, the materials/lighting make it look repulsive in that area, and the textures on the 'wash' look really amplify the nasty looking hair and facial features. It's got to be one of the most hit or miss art styles ever imo. Everything EXCEPT the faces looks fantastic, but the faces are the most important part to making a character appealing.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It most definitely is , since most other fighters outside of Smash go on heavy discounts as well. Not to mention this game keeps getting new content added.
Well that's the thing. Capcom continues to support the game (ie spending money) and they're selling it for a discounted price. So it's hard to know if it's worth celebrating.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you want to use them yes? Oh or did you mean that I can opt to just play the game without any? which obviously I can, but I can also just play Tekken that doesn't do that.
You mean the Tekken that has cosmetic DLC that are locked to their season passes?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the Tekken that has cosmetic DLC that are locked to their season passes?
So you're saying you've never played the game. The vast majority of unlockable costume pieces are just in the game. Unlike, say, the SF5 season passes, which still want you to throw 5-10 bucks per costume pack.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the thing. Capcom continues to support the game (ie spending money) and they're selling it for a discounted price. So it's hard to know if it's worth celebrating.

It's worth celebrating that they continue to support the game.

Unless you're an investor, I don't see why it matters. But, to that point, Capcom has pulled the plug on many a game that they aren't making money on. It seems silly to suggest that, out of the goodness of their heart, Capcom would just continue to add characters, costumes, stages, music, and other things to a game just because.

But you know, maybe people are right. Maybe they like to pour money into things that aren't making them money.

Be right back, I'm going to go play season 3 of MvCI right quick.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
A few other things to point out and I know I'm probably repeating stuff.

-No Xbox release. Maybe it'd be at 5 million right now if there was one. We know console still does all the heavy lifting for FG's.
-SF4 had a number of updates instead of season passes. Super, AE, and Ultra are essentially season passes. Who knows how much SF4 and SFV would have actually sold if they used the same or opposite models.

In the end SFV's launch was still pretty bad and I'm sure most of these units were sold at a heavily discounted price. That's fine though, the game did ok in the end. Capcom's main priority now is to get it into as many homes as possible so you can buy some Chun Li costumes.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying you've never played the game. This could literally not be more incorrect.

Tekken only has 2 default outfits for each character, they come free. Anything else is the customization system, which does have quite a bit locked as DLC. Let's not also overlook the fact that generic customization system isn't the same as a hand designed costume.

So in terms of free costumes they're about even.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying you've never played the game. This could literally not be more incorrect.

Season Pass 2 Bonus: Character Customization Items
- Tekken World Tour Set (costume items featuring the Tekken World Tour logo)
- SUMMER LESSON Set (hairstyles, costumes, accessories, and player customization items)
- Effects Set
*Some character customization items cannot be used by certain characters.

???

Can you get this stuff without the season pass?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

By that logic , we wont know until Capcom reveals budget numbers. It could be that other games spend more budget on the initial release and less on DLC. While Capcom decided to split it evenly. Thats why we are seeing support after 4 years. Heck we get more content now than we did during year 2 or 1 ( outside of the cinematic expansion ).

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Season Pass 2 Bonus: Character Customization Items
- Tekken World Tour Set (costume items featuring the Tekken World Tour logo)
- SUMMER LESSON Set (hairstyles, costumes, accessories, and player customization items)
- Effects Set
*Some character customization items cannot be used by certain characters.

???

Can you get this stuff without the season pass?
You can get a ton of stuff without it, and I'm not sure how a bonus for buying the characters you're going to by anyway is being used as an argument against SF literally just giving you fucking 'ad style' and saying screw you otherwise. Literally "ad style" is an option in the game. Tells you about all you need to know.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The eventual thread when SFV sales surpasses Tekken is gonna be filled with excuses and salt.

People are saying this bad because its being sold for $20-$30 then complain the game "forces" you to buy DLC. Like is the game being cheaper a negative or a positive ?

You can get a ton of stuff without it, and I'm not sure how a bonus for buying the characters you're going to by anyway is being used as an argument against SF literally just giving you fucking 'ad style' and saying screw you otherwise. Literally "ad style" is an option in the game. Tells you about all you need to know.

But you can get stuff in SFV too , I don't see your point at all. Both games have costumes you get in-game and paid only.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
But you can get stuff in SFV too , I don't see your point at all. Both games have costumes you get in-game and paid only.
giphy.gif

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By that logic , we wont know until Capcom reveals budget numbers. It could be that other games spend more budget on the initial release and less on DLC. While Capcom decided to split it evenly. Thats why we are seeing support after 4 years. Heck we get more content now than we did during year 2 or 1 ( outside of the cinematic expansion ).

DLC sales for SFV seem to be super strong, and I know a few months back the esports side of things was said to be profitable for the company hence them doubling down on investing in CPT and the new SFL.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're the one that came in to say Tekken was better because it didn't have DLC costumes.

Now you're bringing up the ad style shit lol. You have no point to make.

DLC sales for SFV seem to be super strong, and I know a few months back the esports side of things was said to be profitable for the company hence them doubling down on investing in CPT and the new SFL.
One time one of Capcom's internal esports report was leaked, or maybe this information was public, I don't remember exactly. I think the gist of it was that they make very little money off of the CPT, to the point where they lean on twitch subs to pay for it. But it seems to be self-sustaining so it's not a money sink or anything. CPT basically exists to promote the game.

Last edited:

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
SFV sold more than vanilla SFIV, and the return Capcom get from a single $30 season pass(of which they sold 3 so far, + a $15 one) is more than they did get from any of SFIV's updates($40 retail/$15 digital). And that's not counting other DLCs which the game has tones of. At this point, anyone thinking SFV didn't bring in more money than SFIV on console/PC must be trying really hard to convince themselves it didn't.
The chun li costumes alone probably funded a few characters lmao

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. SFV and Tekken 7 are both doing really well. Each game performing better in different aspects.

Its crazy that people in this thread want to imply that Tekken is some Mega hit and SFV is a failure. By most measurable metrics the gap between them isn't all that big.

The chun li costumes alone probably funded a few characters lmao

God bless the Chun Li Players.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they pay artists, modelers, and animators to produce expensive content for over 3 years if they weren't making any money in return?

Capcom has 0 issue with dropping a game they aren't making money off of.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Another note to the topic is that Capcom invested more towards SFV eSports this year compared to last year. It could be that Capcom doing well overall now have more money to spend on SFV ?

They started Street Fighter League ( in US and Japan ) , which is also getting another season.
And the location for this years Capcom Cup is better than last year.
All this while still maintaining the same $500k prize pool

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SF4 had a number of updates instead of season passes. Super, AE, and Ultra are essentially season passes. Who knows how much SF4 and SFV would have actually sold if they used the same or opposite models.

I've said this in another thread, but I think it's worth repeating: Super Street Fighter IV and every iteration of the game after essentially had a similar upgrade model as SFV. You had to pay for the upgrades (where SFV has free updates, but makes you pay for characters), but every copy from Super on could be upgraded all the way to Ultra.

There are two editions of SFIV that cannot be upgraded: Vanilla SFIV and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. These two versions account for 4.7 million of SFIV's lifetime sales.

That means only 4.3 million of SFIV units sold can be fully upgraded, and those 4.3 million units are split across four distinct platforms (PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360/One).

So while SFIV sold almost 2.5x as many units as SFV, its potential playerbase was a mere 600k larger (if every single unit of Super and AE sold upgraded to Ultra). And that playerbase was split across four platforms, unlike SFV's PS4 and PC users comprising one playerbase.

All of this is to say: SFV did not really lose much of SFIV's fanbase. It just sold less copies of itself to that fanbase.

Oct 25, 2017
SFV is one of my favorite success stories this generation. Was able to overcome all the negativity thrown its way and still be one of the most successful fighting games out. Their DLC sales numbers must be insane.