• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
SFV's netcode has been plagued by a nasty bug since beta where one player will receive lag and rollback while the other player may not at all.
This mod, supposedly, fixes the issue which has been seemingly ignored by Capcom for over 4 years.

No reports at the moment if it actually seems to fix it but considering the actual cause of SFV's netcode issue has been well documented for a while now, it's not unlikely that someone decided to fix it on their own. Will update this posts with reports and testings as they come in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/em24ck/release_sfv_netcode_fix/

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Uh what? How is this possible, unless it requires both sides of the connection to have the mod installed?

EDIT: Now that I've taken a second to read the mod link...Capcom seriously programmed artificial lag to mask connections? Kramergiveup.gif

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Uh what? How is this possible, unless it requires both sides of the connection to have the mod installed?

It supposedly fixes a bug that causes one-sided lag and rollback. According to the mod-maker, it'll fix the issue on your end but if your opponent isn't using it they could still be affected.

Edit: I'd be super wary about installing a mod that alters the multiplayer experience, even if you're coming in with the good intention on fixing Capcom's bugs to make the multiplayer better and fairer for both you and your opponent. No telling how Capcom would respond to players using this mod.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It'd be nice if they fixed the netcode for SFV. But at this point, I feel like they're just gonna build off of MvCI's netcode for SFVI & beyond. Basically, I've accepted that Capcom's more-or-less done with SFV beyond Seth, another CPT Premier Pack, & maybe another balance patch.

If this was released in 2017 or so, I could see this lighting a fire under Capcom's asses with enough fan outcry. But now, we're too close to the end of SFV's life for us to have any real impact (plus the problem will likely sort itself out if MvCI is any indication). Still, major props to you for creating this, OP.

Skye

Oct 27, 2017
The one-sided rollback happens because your game is running ahead of the other player's. I believe this patch fixes this by slowing down your game so that your game is closer to your opponent's game state if you're ahead. If the other player doesn't install the mod, they'll get one-sided rollback if their game is ahead.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Would have thought this kind of mod would prevent you from being able to queue online. Imagine if people got banned for using this (assuming it works)

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Now that I've taken a second to read the mod link...Capcom seriously programmed artificial lag to mask connections? Kramergiveup.gif
Yes it would require both people to install the mod.

Also some info on what it does.

What exactly does this change?
"This fix ensures your "clock" never gets more than half of your packet round trip time ahead of your opponent's so that you never experience more rollback than them."

How extensively has this been tested (getting impressions from both players online)?
This was primarily tested by using two of my machines with various configurations of artificially induced latency/packet loss (using clumsy) and attempting to cause clock desync by momentarily speeding up/slowing down the game on one side.

And is there any reason to think it'll affect your account standing?
They could always decide to start banning for any code modification, but they currently don't.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The one-sided rollback happens because your game is running ahead of the other player's. I believe this patch fixes this by slowing down your game so that your game is closer to your opponent's game state if you're ahead. If the other player doesn't install the mod, they'll get one-sided rollback if their game is ahead.
Isn't that basically what MvCI did (slow the game down by a frame to act as a buffer for potential rollback)?

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I doubt this will cause any bans, while it is possible because of modification to .dll. No one has been banned for creating other mods.

Oct 25, 2017
You're misinterpreting what the guy is saying. Once a connection goes bad, the game doesn't synchronise properly, which creates artificial lag even after your connection returns to normal. The 2 frame of delay in an ideal scenario is "artifical delay" to an extent but is also the reason rollback works

Regarding whether it works or not- the code there is open sourced. Why would the guy lie also? He says he tested it

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You're misinterpreting what the guy is saying. Once a connection goes bad, the game doesn't synchronise properly, which creates artificial lag even after your connection returns to normal.
So basically the snowball effect, making a bad situation worse.

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the snowball effect, making a bad situation worse.
Yes. That has been the whole problem with SFV from the start as sussed by Mike Z during the fucking sfv beta lmao.

MVC syncs correctly which is why it isn't as bad. Normally you should get a couple secs of shitty rollbacking then go back to normal but SFV completely turns into a shit show

Skye

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that basically what MvCI did (slow the game down by a frame to act as a buffer for potential rollback)?
I'm not sure how MvCI does things, but it's not a buffer for potential rollback. It's just keeping the current "time" between players closer by making the "ahead" player slow down a bit (the Mortal Kombat GDC talk talks about this here).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Too late even if it did work. SFV's netcode ruined the game for me. I'm very ready for a clean slate.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not sure how MvCI does things, but it's not a buffer for potential rollback. It's just keeping the current "time" between players closer by making the "ahead" player slow down a bit (the Mortal Kombat GDC talk talks about this here).
I see, here's Max's review of MvCI's netcode for more context for MvCI's specific case.

Skye

Oct 27, 2017
I see, here's Max's review of MvCI's netcode for more context for MvCI's specific case.

Ah, I'm guessing you're talking about the "set frame delay" Max mentions around the 2 minute mark? That's a pretty standard procedure for games with rollback netcode, but it's not related to what's happening here. Both players have that set frame delay and it doesn't change.

Infil has a good guide as to the problem with SFV's netcode here: http://ki.infil.net/w02-netcode-p5.html (under the section "Keeping the world in sync".

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

In MVCi's case, being locked to 1-2 frames delay without the option to change it is still an option. I tested Fighting herds (GGPO) Canada to NZ recently (high 200's ping) and because I could set it to 4-5 delay it felt fairly similar to offline even at such an extreme international distance. Especially for people without a local scene, or a small/nonexistent online scene this part is so important.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm pretty sure whoever did the netcode for SFV was a contractor and not a permanent employee. It's the only thing that makes sense.
And this is why you have to to properly document your code with notations. Future programmers who come after you to edit said code will thank you.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If this fix was so easy why hasn't Capcom fixed this after 4+ years?

Thats a billion dollar question right there. But, it hasn't really been thoroughly tested so we're waiting on the the news from people testing whether or not this fix improves things and we'll need a lot of people testing it out on the PC platform to get a definitive answer whether or not the experience is improved in any amount.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is firing on all cylinders except for fighting games where they are in an absolute mess.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God imagine being as fucking incompetent as Capcom's fighter division. Absolutely pathetic and shameful.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BETHSED- uhh, CAPCOM IS BACK

seriously, having your fans fix key things for you never looks good

Oct 25, 2017
According to that guy, this fix should've taken literally 30 minutes to implement (and likely a week to get through QA) had the source code been openly available.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhh Capcom what the fuck? I was thinking maybe the fixes made in MvCI weren't backwards compatible, hence SFV never getting updated, but I legitimately can't think of a single justifiable reason we haven't gotten a fix if it's actually this simple.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Been working well for me right now.

Had 6 matches in a row with no rollback artefact. This never happened.

apparently the fix causes people who do not have it to rollback really bad

Nothing as general as this. It's been tested both ways with good results so far. I guess bad stuff can still happen randomly.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
lol imagine for all these years we didnt get any fixes because capcom did not bother to look at the code

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be great when this results in PS4 players blocking PC players en masse and suddenly PC players are waiting 5x longer for a match.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017