• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Are we really hating on a single modder doing some work to fix a commercial game on his free time now ?

To be fair, he released a somewhat shitty fix that people heralded as the second coming only because the netcode hasn't changed in 4 years. If Capcom released that patch, they'd be rightfully crucified.

Plus he talked shit in his patch notes. Either he fixes the netcode for good or he overestimated how difficult fixing it really was and never releases an update.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what if he talked shit and bragged. At least he tried to do something about it where a corporation doesn't seem to care to invest any capital into the dev team to fix the problem. Damn... If I met the person in real life I'd get him a few beers. My playgroup sure as hell appreciates what he's done.

I'm glad the mod was released. It lit a fire under some asses. Maybe this won't get things fixed officially with the game, but at least this brought Teleport Fighter V into the light again so that other dev teams working on fighters see how passionate people are about having decently implemented netcode.

It just blows my mind that people have so much discontent for a person that was trying to help the community.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
It just blows my mind that people have so much discontent for a person that was trying to help the community.

Releasing a mod that makes the online experience worse for non-mod PC users and the PS4 player base isn't really helping the community.

In fact, it has a better chance of harming the PC playerbase. Everyone is assuming Capcom will jump into action and fix the netcode, but I worry Capcom will see this as proof that it's no longer worth the time and effort putting out a PC version of Street Fighter. With eSports becoming a greater part of the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom keeps Street Fighter VI console-exclusive to prevent future modding of game critical code.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a mod that makes the online experience worse for non-mod PC users and the PS4 player base isn't really helping the community.

In fact, it has a better chance of harming the PC playerbase. Everyone is assuming Capcom will jump into action and fix the netcode, but I worry Capcom will see this as proof that it's no longer worth the time and effort putting out a PC version of Street Fighter. With eSports becoming a greater part of the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom keeps Street Fighter VI console-exclusive to prevent future modding of game critical code.

Or they could just make netcode that doesn't convince a person to make a patch like this.

And if the response Capcom has to somebody deciding to try and fix their fucked up netcode after four years of shit is to abandon the PC, then fuck them.

Oct 25, 2017

After MHW, no way in hell Capcom ditches PC.

Yall really acting like this mod literally made the game unplayable.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes it is. It proves that Capcom can fix it for everyone if they want to. You should be mad at them, not the modder who tried to do their job for them.

To be fair, he released a somewhat shitty fix that people heralded as the second coming only because the netcode hasn't changed in 4 years. If Capcom released that patch, they'd be rightfully crucified.

But they wouldn't.... that's the point. This is one dude with zero access to source code and he "fixed" the online for mod users. A team at Capcom could have done a better job a long time ago, but they didn't.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm saying you guys are jumping down someone's throat for trying to help. It doesn't matter if he messed stuff up for people. The dude didn't do it out of malice. I'm saying people need to chill on getting mad at this person.

Also, you do know the biggest esport-centric games are on PC right? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard all month. Not releasing future installments of a game on a certain platform because of a mod is ridiculous. They should re-evaluate how they approach online gameplay instead.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how Altimore and his hack have become sacred cows to some people. Can't say anything negative (not even as a joke) about either, and you must stick your neck into the ground whenever its deficiencies are brought up. To be honest it's better if he doesn't release anything else, because then there would be three (or more) different instances of the netcode fighting with each other. Hell since he released the source code anyone could have their own personal variation of the netcode running. The most surprising thing about this situation is that Capcom hasn't plugged this vulnerability immediately. There's an online beta for their tournament mode coming up later this month and I gotta wonder what that's gonna be like...

I'm saying you guys are jumping down someone's throat for trying to help.
Yeah we should award him a gold star for his attempt.

I guess it doesn't matter if he essentially forced his hack on the playerbase whether they want it or not, it doesn't matter if...
It doesn't matter if he messed stuff up for people.

Well.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Some of ya'll are playing kind of loose with the facts. Obviously a patched PC user playing with either unpatched PC users or PS4 users causes very real issues. However, if you're talking two PC users who both have the patch installed, most evidence points to most people having a noticeably better experience most of the time. Stop trying to re-frame it like it's better for some, worse for others, so it's all a wash in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Longer...like 4 years maybe?
I don't get you at all. You should be asking Capcom to fix the issue so that you get the same experience as we have now.
Yet, you want to get back to the terrible online we were stuck for years.
I somehow did not experience this terrible online. Yeah, occasional bad matches are annoying. Yeah, it's bad that you can never be sure that your opponent isn't having rollback and that your wins are illegitimate (which this mod doesn't fix if you're playing matchmaking). Of course it's bad that Capcom hasn't fixed it themselves. None of that has anything to do with whether or not I think a random guy should have made the unilateral decision to propagate barely tested software into a community-dependent environment.

I also haven't experienced the alleged terrible netcode constantly ruining matches. Most of mine are good enough that I don't think about it being net play. People rematch me in matchmaking so I don't think it's the case that I'm always the laggy one. I haven't noticed any correlation between crossplay and issues either.

I have played regularly with someone across the US, and lately my connection with someone 4000 miles away, across the Atlantic, has also been almost perfect.

So when people say this game was unplayable online I don't know what to think. Is it a preponderance if wifi warriors in the lower leagues? I could be completely out of touch with the experience of the majority of the player base. But from launch to now, online play has worked as well as I'd expect given the many random factors at play in a network environment the size of North America.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if he takes 2 months to patch it, it's still very easily in the "easy fix" realm considering it's one person on their free time versus a corporation that had 4 years to patch it.

Still not as easy as 2 days, but people saying "it's been a week, such an easy fix amirite" come off as clowns.

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow did not experience this terrible online. Yeah, occasional bad matches are annoying. Yeah, it's bad that you can never be sure that your opponent isn't having rollback and that your wins are illegitimate (which this mod doesn't fix if you're playing matchmaking). Of course it's bad that Capcom hasn't fixed it themselves. None of that has anything to do with whether or not I think a random guy should have made the unilateral decision to propagate barely tested software into a community-dependent environment.

I also haven't experienced the alleged terrible netcode constantly ruining matches. Most of mine are good enough that I don't think about it being net play. People rematch me in matchmaking so I don't think it's the case that I'm always the laggy one. I haven't noticed any correlation between crossplay and issues either.

I have played regularly with someone across the US, and lately my connection with someone 4000 miles away, across the Atlantic, has also been almost perfect.

So when people say this game was unplayable online I don't know what to think. Is it a preponderance if wifi warriors in the lower leagues? I could be completely out of touch with the experience of the majority of the player base. But from launch to now, online play has worked as well as I'd expect given the many random factors at play in a network environment the size of North America.
With that I agree with. I always thought SF V's netcode was pretty good myself.

But you can't deny that we're outliers, most people have been shitting on it for years now. So it makes sense that someone would try to fix it.

As far as my personal experience goes, it wasn't a needed fix, but compared to what I read everywhere else, people were desperate for it.

My experience isn't any worse since it came out, though.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Some of ya'll are playing kind of loose with the facts. Obviously a patched PC user playing with either unpatched PC users or PS4 users causes very real issues. However, if you're talking two PC users who both have the patch installed, most evidence points to most people having a noticeably better experience most of the time. Stop trying to re-frame it like it's better for some, worse for others, so it's all a wash in the end.
Yeah that's why I asked what need to be fixed since from what I gather, what need to be fixed with an additional patch/mod would be better compatibility with unpatched version ( PC/PS4 ) of the game. Which is a problem an official patch wouldn't have since they would have the ability to deploy their patch on ps4 ( and force every online player to use it on PC ), so the speed at which he improve his unofficial patch when it comes to compatibility with non patched version of the game doesn't disprove the fact his fix was an easy fixe in the context of saying Capcom should be the one doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
With that I agree with. I always thought SF V's netcode was pretty good myself.

But you can't deny that we're outliers, most people have been shitting on it for years now. So it makes sense that someone would try to fix it.

As far as my personal experience goes, it wasn't a needed fix, but compared to what I read everywhere else, people were desperate for it.

My experience isn't any worse since it came out, though.
People have been shitting on every aspect of the game for years which is one reason why I don't trust the idea of a consensus on the netcode being awful.

But I will acknowledge again that I, everyone I play with regularly, and everyone I watch streaming could be the outliers and that somehow the vast majority of people have disastrous experiences and are not exaggerating or falling prey to confirmation bias and selective memory.

Oct 25, 2017
People have been shitting on every aspect of the game for years which is one reason why I don't trust the idea of a consensus on the netcode being awful.

But I will acknowledge again that I, everyone I play with regularly, and everyone I watch streaming could be the outliers and that somehow the vast majority of people have disastrous experiences and are not exaggerating or falling prey to confirmation bias and selective memory.
That is true. As someone who actually didn't like the game before the CE update (I'm having a ton of fun now, though), even I think the amount of concern trolling around SF V was always insane.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if he takes 2 months to patch it, it's still very easily in the "easy fix" realm considering it's one person on their free time versus a corporation that had 4 years to patch it.

Still not as easy as 2 days, but people saying "it's been a week, such an easy fix amirite" come off as clowns.

Would you say...CAPCLOWNS?

I'm sorry but Altimore brings this kind of comments upon himself due to his own attitude in his post. He's the one that claimed and bragged about how it was so easy to fix.

And it wasn't 2 days, it was 30 minutes (or so he says). Two days was spent on reverse-engineering the game, not fiddling with the netcode. Without even bothering to test it against PS4 players, having no idea what that would be like. Altimore da gawd.

I think evidence points to an inconsistent experience, which is ironically consistent with what netplay has been like in SFV for the last four years. It's what I've experienced personally. It's what I've seen in Ultradavid's streams, where a match between two patched users was fine once, and then the next match between the same two players turned into slow motion.

And this is what I saw testing the mod against another patched player.

hBb61hk.gif

Just regular-ass teleporting even. He claimed it was very good on his end. On another modded match with another player I had every obvious slowmo for me (while again the other player saying it was good on his end). And another test with a third player it seemed to be pretty good for the both of us (with still a distinct underwater/chunky feel to the controls). I've also tested the game against someone using the mod and me not using it, and curiously that gave me better the results than the other three examples I mentioned (game behaved as normal). So yea... The "success" of this thing has been kinda random. The "best" match I've had with the mod on was against a PS4 player where I know he was getting fucked up rollbacks. You want to keep on believing this mod is godlike and perfect if both players are using the mod, go ahead. But it isn't.

And when this mod breaks the game for a large portion of the playerbase (i.e. PS4 users) then yes that is most certainly a wash to say the least. I don't see the point in praising this guy just because he did something, without even mattering what that something actually ended up being. Unless of course it makes Capcom improve the netcode on their own, then I guess this mess will have been worth it.

But I don't care for the solution brought forth by Altimore, which is reducing rollback artifacts by inducing input delay to your own controls. Constantly variable input delay, might I add. Before this mod existed I had never experienced either underwater controls or slow motion in SFV. If Capcom can fix one-sided rollback and improve their matchmaking algorithm without resorting to doing that, all the better.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you say...CAPCLOWNS?

I'm sorry but Altimore brings this kind of comments upon himself due to his own attitude in his post. He's the one that claimed and bragged about how it was so easy to fix.

And it wasn't 2 days, it was 30 minutes (or so he says). Without even bothering to test it against PS4 players, having no idea what that would be like. Altimore da gawd.
Sure, I agree, but as I said, even if it takes two whole months, it's still worthy of being called a simple fix, especially for a company such as Capcom.

The criticism about not being properly tested, and that he shouldn't release it before the patched version that works for crossplay as well is perfectly valid. But basing that criticism on how easy or hard it is to patch this is a bit premature.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017

If that was the case, you would not have people like Sajam and Ultradavid praising the mod. Do you think that they are biased?

I have been having one sided lag against EU streamers for years. I know how it looks on my side and I've seen how it looks on their stream.

But I still don't get why you simply don't disable crossplay until the situation is resolved. You are on a "losing" side for a few weeks now. Imagine if you were there for a few years.
And I like the game, bought it on both ps4 and pc with s1/2 pass. But I've stopped giving them money after season 2 until the online play is improved.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

You know me hey it's that dog, you know I can never tell a lie:

This game's netcode is not good. The worst part about it is that it's inconsistent. It's true that when it works, it can work well. But when things break down, oh boy do they break down hard.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Your experience is the same as mine, I attribute most of the bashing to trolling about the game. It didn't have the best netcode but it certainly wasn't as bad as some say.

Oct 25, 2017
If that was the case, you would not have people like Sajam and Ultradavid praising the mod. Do you think that they are biased?

I have been having one sided lag against EU streamers for years. I know how it looks on my side and I've seen how it looks on their stream.

But I still don't get why you simply don't disable crossplay until the situation is resolved. You are on a "losing" side for a few weeks now. Imagine if you were there for a few years.
And I like the game, bought it on both ps4 and pc with s1/2 pass. But I've stopped giving them money after season 2 until the online play is improved.
Why are you assuming I play on PS4?

I have not been on the losing side for years. That's exactly my point. My online experience has been unremarkable. It mostly works.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sajam has been claiming for years that SFV's netcode is pure unworkable, non-functional (his own words) garbage 100% of the time. Which it actually ain't. On his mod test streams Ultradavid said it was impossible to have a playable match between the US and South America without the mod despite me and joe showing receipts. Basically said we are liars lol. Every time there was obvious slowmo on Sajam's streams he failed to call it out. It was just nonstop diarrhea praise coming out of his mouth. When he played an aussie and it was as good as offline on his end he praised the mod to high heavens, failing to realize the other guy was obviously suffering from one-sided rollback (which he later confirmed that he was). It was fucking Australia ffs.

So uh yes? Even these veritable FGC luminaries are prone to their own biases, whatever they may be.

Look man, when the mod works well, it works well. When it doesn't, it doesn't. Matches can get weird and random in terms of quality.

Reminds you of anything?

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it doesn't matter if he essentially forced his hack on the playerbase whether they want it or not
Lol what? You're saying he held a gun to somebody's head and forced them to install the mod?

He put out the mod and told people it worked for him and wanted to know if it worked for others. And it did. Amazingly. He absolutely should've tested it better and found the one-sided issue before a public release, that much is for sure, but the mod undoubtedly works in the way actual rollback netcode should.

I went from somebody who tried the game for maybe 4 hours every time a new character came out just to drop it again because the online was frustrating to putting nearly 2 full days of playtime in since the patch dropped. This mod made me love SFV again. I have no local scene, so being able to have playable matches where all my faults were my own, not due to random teleporting or unseeable lag has made the game so much more enjoyable. If Capcom removed the exploit without implementing the fix themselves (globally, which would solve all problems), I probably would not touch SF again until VI gets rushed out next winter.
And when this mod breaks the game for a large portion of the playerbase (i.e. PS4 users) then yes that is most certainly a wash to say the least.
As opposed to before, where the netcode broke the game for the other half of the playerbase?

Also in all my matches with randoms, maybe 10%, if not less, of PS4 players don't give a runback after what i felt was an okay match. Even if i were to assume these were all players that would've rematched before (you know the types that come in for a promo match and run if they barely won), that's such a small number that i have no choice but to believe the PS4 complaints are blown way out of proportion.
Mod works well way more often. That is the big difference.
I don't expect it to work all the time, no-one does.
Exactly this. I still have crappy matches, and i have to assume they're worse on the other end than for me, but the vast majority of matches are not only playable, but feel offline, which is the entire point of rollback.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it doesn't matter if he essentially forced his hack on the playerbase whether they want it or not, it doesn't matter if...

Well.

Well... progress has hiccups and inconveniences. Like I said. I'm glad this happened. Hopefully they focus more on a better solution on their end going forward with the sequel.

Also, people are harassing the dude, so yes I will be on his side. I fucking HATE bullies.

Oct 25, 2017
In this very post you're admitting you're matchmaking against PS4 players with the mod installed.
Yes, of my own choice. Those same PS4 players can choose to disable crossplay. I would've if it seemed like PS4 players were having issues unilaterally, but a small handful isn't enough for me to disable it.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a lot of goal post moving WRT to the netcode mod:

• "A guy fixed the netcode in two days!" <Netcode isn't fixed> "Well what do you want? He's just one guy who worked two days!"
  • "The netcode works perfectly for PC-to-PC patched matches" <Receipts showing slowdown and other funky behavior> "Well it's not perfect, but neither is the default netcode!"
  • "This will only improve the online community!" <netcode mod forcing PS4 players to disable crossplay> "So what if it harms the community if it forces Capcom to do something!"

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a lot of goal post moving WRT to the netcode mod:

• "A guy fixed the netcode in two days!" <Netcode isn't fixed> "Well what do you want? He's just one guy who worked two days!"
  • "The netcode works perfectly for PC-to-PC patched matches" <Receipts showing slowdown and other funky behavior> "Well it's not perfect, but neither is the default netcode!"
  • "This will only improve the online community!" <netcode mod forcing PS4 players to disable crossplay> "So what if it harms the community if it forces Capcom to do something!"
Being this upset about a move in the right direction is a very good incentive for this game to stay as it is.
It turns out that maybe we should have ended the discussion at, hey this netcode stuff is way to complex and expensive for Capcom to do.
Also, having the same "goal posts" for Capcom as you have for a random modder really says something about both.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom doesn't deserve a community ready to protect them through high and low, they truly don't

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
So uh...is it safe to use this or should I not even bother? I enjoy having cross play enabled and most of my matches have been decent so far.

Oct 25, 2017
So uh...is it safe to use this or should I not even bother? I enjoy having cross play enabled and most of my matches have been decent so far.
If you honestly have no issue, then you're probably better off without it. I'd recommend you at least try the patch with a friend in a lobby, but no need to go publicly with it if you're fine as is.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So much crying over ranked mode.
Disable crossplay - problem solved.

Bruuuuuhhhhhhh......

Just stop playing ranked
Just take off crossplay
just play with fewer people...
I patch on crossplay IDGAF

yall listening to yourself?

jesus, the idiocy and selfishness this patch has revealed in online warriors is ridiculous.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Bruuuuuhhhhhhh......

Just stop playing ranked
Just take off crossplay
just play with fewer people...
I patch on crossplay IDGAF

yall listening to yourself?

jesus, the idiocy and selfishness this patch has revealed in online warriors is ridiculous.
Hey........................................... Just go to your locals lol

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, wait for the update. Either the new mod or an official patch by Capcom.

I'm still expecting the official update from capcom to be the disabling of the mod, which just puts the negatives of the rollback back on PC players, and then everyone will just shut up about it because no one ever really cared about that to begin with.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still expecting the official update from capcom to be the disabling of the mod, which just puts the negatives of the rollback back on PC players, and then everyone will just shut up about it because no one ever really cared about that to begin with.

This has never been a thing, I've never seen this crossplay hitch of rollback on the PC end.

I dont understand this sudden narrative where crossplay has caused rollback to PC players only, where did this stupidity even come from?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This has never been a thing, I've never seen this crossplay hitch of rollback on the PC end.

I dont understand this sudden narrative where crossplay has caused rollback to PC players only, where did this stupidity even come from?

I mean I literally posted a video of it in this thread already.

It gets bad. What do you want me to say. The netcode in this game is bad, but when crossplay is involved, it gets intolerable.

At this point, we just have to accept that capcom isn't going to fix it and what we have now is the way it's going to be. Which basically means I'm done with it.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017

Yet, asking to ban the mod and doom this game to having crap online play forever is somehow not selfish, right?
And if you are not an online warrior, why do you post in this topic?

As for ps4 vs pc and lag, pc gets it more often, but not all the time.
I also think that pc players suffer more when ps4 drops frames online, but I don't have proof for that. Ofc, on pc you can limit fps and make things way worse for your oponent. I am sure that there are people that do that when they are stunned or loosing...

Last edited: