• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
All of this "crossplay was the best thing about SF5 online" talk is extremely weak.

The PS4 playerbase is big enough to not need crossplay.

And as someone who hasn't bothered to pay for online on consoles since 2013, I really don't care if my pool of available PC opponents shrinks so long as I get better performance in exchange.

Keep making excuses for Capcom though.

Damn people are quick to throw crossplay under the bus even though any other FG thread would say it's mandatory for a healthy community. No wonder devs don't give a shit about it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Damn people are quick to throw crossplay under the bus even though any other FG thread would say it's mandatory for a healthy community. No wonder devs don't give a shit about it.
Well, crossplay doesn't really really do much when one platform has to suffer lag that the other platform doesn't, making things needlessly inconsistent.

Properly implemented rollback netcode is the bare minimum standard for next gen. Crossplay is a notch above that. Having crossplay on shit netcode isn't accomplishing much.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see PS4 vs PC modded in an actually good connection tested. I wouldn't play South America vs USA before the mod, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it still doesn't work after it.

I suspect it'll still be bad, otherwise the modder wouldn't be trying to update it to fix that issue, but it just rubs me the wrong way to read "look, the mod made our Peru vs USA crossplay connection unplayable, what an amazing fix".

A netcode that made international matches worse than usual but local matches the best they've ever been would be a great netcode, as far as I'm concerned.

Good connections ps4 vs Pc are fine as far I tested. I did it with a friend.

The fix just makes the bad to okay connections unplayable for the ps4 user.
It doesn't affect good connections PC to PC (outside of a couple of outliers on twitter vs the dozens/hundreds of matches tested).

I'll repeat that occasional fuck ups from hardware (from the ps4 like heating, PC like a random task causing a stutter or couple of lost frames,, or router with bad chipset/overheat issue), connections instability, ISP (bad peering is a thing) etc... can cause bad connectivity between users. I saw a french player say the fix was bad for him yet here I am in France and I had flawless netplay with a friend in new york.

So basically what I'm saying is that any issue you can encounter in regular online environment still applies here.

Since it has one sided rollback in case the second user doesn't have the patch, it will make the issue worse for them. But ... The original netcode is also terrible and does one sided rollback, so that's not exactly caused by the patch. All the patch does is make sure the patched user isn't the one getting the random coin flip of rollback hell.

I really hope he can figure out how to improve it even further like he is trying to currently.

I mean... In this current situation...

You have the choice between :

- good netplay but no crossplay

- teleporting rollback hell with crossplay

What do you pick ?

Well, crossplay doesn't really really do much when one platform has to suffer lag that the other platform doesn't, making things needlessly inconsistent.

Properly implemented rollback netcode is the bare minimum standard for next gen. Crossplay is a notch above that. Having crossplay on shit netcode isn't accomplishing much.

A lot of people have been saying this, but just for the record, Ps4 also can get the rollback from regular PC users, and against other ps4 users as well.

That awful netcode isn't just bad for crossplay.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see PS4 vs PC modded in an actually good connection tested. I wouldn't play South America vs USA before the mod, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it still doesn't work after it.

I suspect it'll still be bad, otherwise the modder wouldn't be trying to update it to fix that issue, but it just rubs me the wrong way to read "look, the mod made our Peru vs USA crossplay connection unplayable, what an amazing fix".

A netcode that made international matches worse than usual but local matches the best they've ever been would be a great netcode, as far as I'm concerned.

We had good connection regardless of the mod.

With the mod, it makes his side very smooth yes....PS4 however is a nightmare, whereas both of us never experienced any such issues before...

how is that not troubling? how does this make anything better?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why should I give a shit about something that I can't really use?

I'm not out here clamoring for crossplay in ASW fighters because I can't play them online in the first place.

Kinda weird to think people are throwing crossplay under the bus when what we're asking for is netcode that works.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Have you ever considered that capcpom actually tried doing something like this mod before, but it ended up ruining the game for more people than it fixed? The problem here is not the mod but the way he released the mod to the public without testing it and at least releasing it to a limited number of players testing, but instead he released this to the public, splitted the online players base (which was one of the best things about afv online) and it's clearly still full of bugs.
if it's taking them this long to yak shave the desync issue, then SFV's netcode is more of a failure than we know.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah uh, it has to be GOOD crossplay. You know, well developed to the point where differences are imperceptible. Then it's 100% worth having. Just like being able to filter out wireless players no matter the platform.

But that would require Capcom to both optimize their game (on console especially) and to treat the online component of their games seriously; things which they have never done and very likely never will do.

But hey, more Pocky for everyone!

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah uh, it has to be GOOD crossplay. You know, well developed to the point where differences are imperceptible. Then it's 100% worth having. Just like being able to filter out wireless players no matter the platform.

But that would require Capcom to both optimize their game (on console especially) and to treat the online component of their games seriously; things which they have never done and very likely never will do.

But hey, more Pocky for everyone!

I believe cross play in MvCi worked fine for Xbox to PC/Windows Store. It's likely someone higher up just doesn't care as they seemingly have it figured out in MvCi.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I don't understand why there isn't a message in every fighting game that tells the user "btw, a wired connection will provide a much smoother online experience for you and your opponent !" .

A ton of players don't even know how bad the average wifi is.

I believe cross play in MvCi worked fine for Xbox to PC/Windows Store. It's likely someone higher up just doesn't care as they seemingly have it figured out in MvCi.

Pretty sure there is no crossplay in MVCI.

Anyway SFV's issue has nothing to do with crossplay, it's just that crossplay can exacerbate the existing issue.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's the entire thing. The netcode in MvCI is the Kagemusha or whatever. They've got it working! lol.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What is shocking is Ono declared a couple of months ago that they are very proud of SFV's netplay and online environment.

The biggest yikes.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
So, it looks like I won't be buying Remake3 after all.
Well, at least I will have one weekend of good online Sfv.

Churrific

Oct 27, 2017
Crossplay should be a basic standard in all multiplayer games, not just FGs. I don't really want this to become a crossplay vs. good netcode situation where the long-term implication is shutting off one quality of life thing for something else.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
We had good connection regardless of the mod.

With the mod, it makes his side very smooth yes....PS4 however is a nightmare, whereas both of us never experienced any such issues before...

how is that not troubling? how does this make anything better?

Most of you have shit connections for real time gaming you put up with it.

Go ahead and argue but the odds of you being able to pass a flent test for bufferbloat are not good.

if it's taking them this long to yak shave the desync issue, then SFV's netcode is more of a failure than we know.

Netcodes are bandaids to level OSI level 2,3 and 4 issues the gaming industries ignores or has misguided ideas on despite evidence. Netcodes exist on layer 7.

Game devs are being asked to fix a much bigger problem most don't fix themselves.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
NRS really needs to push crossplay and make it available on PC as well.

A good rollback netcode can handle these types of connections

We don't need region filter or ping limit with Rollback netcode. Just an option to filter out wifi players.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Street Fighter subreddit has compiled a number of videos showcasing the mod at work and also the problems that still need to be solved.

Interesting stuff, Altimor or maybe somebody else is looking at this to improve the mod (if Capcom don't shut it down that is).

Ultradavid: I'm happy. And I'm sad. And I'm pissed off. And I'm...excited.

lmao

Capcpcom fans in a nutshell.

The saddest part is seeing how well this works for some people, and hearing and seeing the genuine excitement that they'll actually be able to play this game online, and knowing that Capcom is going to take this away and not implement their own fix.

Edit: Ultradavid played a match from LA to Tunisia in North Africa and it looked better than some of the matches I've had just trying to play in my region. haahahahahaha

All of this is just demonstrating what Keits talked about in the video a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
56ea6eb69ce5142cbc721df533773410.png

The patch was the best thing that happened to the game for me. Now I'm about to get banned for it.

I don't think they can ban you. They have literally no way to track who used it or not.

All they can do is force files integrity (so remove all mods, visuals or else).

The fight money thing was because they just checked who earned FM out the ass in like one hour. It was unrealistic so easy to track the values.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Ono has no power the higher ups will probably just dismiss him. Then Capcom Dev 1 will laugh at him on the way back to his area on a separate floor away from them.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
Well hopefully they just disable this mod for everyone and block all kind of mods, this community doesn't deserve any kind of freedom.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Maybe Ono and Capcom should have looked into this years ago.
Just a suggestion.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There is. Xbox One version with Windows 10 Store/PC Game Pass version.

I keep searching for it, and nobody is talking about it, there is no video online showing it off whatsoever.

And here this thread was locked saying it didn't. I'm confused. I read the PR talk but I'm now seriously questioning if they meant cross play as in PC VS Xbox or crossplay as in jump from PC to Xbox on the fly while keeping your save and ranks.

Have you guys actually tested it out ?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I keep searching for it, and nobody is talking about it, there is no video online showing it off whatsoever.

And here this thread was locked saying it didn't. I'm confused. I read the PR talk but I'm now seriously questioning if they meant cross play as in PC VS Xbox or crossplay as in jump from PC to Xbox on the fly while keeping your save and ranks.

Have you guys actually tested it out ?
See Description.

73jz71D.png

VashTS

Oct 29, 2017
Just going to repost our testing with the mod in length, (moreso than the modder himself ever did)

Connections between Peru and Los Angles, had some rollback but was generally smooth and evened out with longer set play, with mod on crossplay became effectively unplayable on the PS4 end as you can see. Normal crossplay was smooth on both ends as you can see by the twitter and YT vids. but Mod PC and PS4 shows extremely one sided desynch issues that dont exist without the mod.
Your modded footage is completely flawed. You are using the laggiest stage in the game and comparing it to the best. Use training mode for all footage and eliminate any variables please. Apples to apples

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane that I can't find anybody using it on reddit, this forum etc...

Like they put this out late and the game had completely died at this point. Sad.
Probably more that nobody would have bought the game on the Windows Store instead of Steam at the time it was actively being played. Indeed now that it's on PC Game Pass, it's long since dead everywhere.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017

Ono may be just grasping that DLL's are being modded and that it has an effect on the netcode.
An effect that he might want to prevent when it comes to the precious olympics event. Fuck fixing the netcode.

I don't know what's more stupid. Ignoring the netcode for 4 years or fixing it after all that time.

Recently i did an offline set of close to 100 matches and the game is so fun.
As soon as you try to go online, you might as well be playing ST AI for fun.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man...with all the issues with SFV since it's release I hope that SFVI is a far smoother entry. I really miss the days of playing a SF game where there wasn't any known issues flying into my face.

Anyone know if the Alpha series ever had any wild problems? Back in those days while I was in school I didn't peep much.