• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This is what Ono had to say about the state of the game in November 2019 :
Yoshinori Ono: We've worked hard on the game over the years. It's come through a tricky launch, where we had all kinds of comments coming from fans and the media - such as Eurogamer. But I think we've got to a good place now. Things have calmed down in the best sense of that word. When you've got a form of entertainment like this, we're providing a rulebook to create your own entertainment. Those rules need to be well established, and people need to be able to understand them and get onboard with them. I think everyone is at the moment, and all the additions we've made have brought it to a good place. We're still working on it, and we still have around half a million matches a day. That's something that provides us with a massive amount of data - we can view the inputs and outputs of all these matches and use it as research when it comes to which characters need nerfs, which need buffs. That's something we're going to be doing on an ongoing basis.

So yeah, I honesty don't know if they don't have a clue or if they don't care.

As long as we're in a good place !

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Man...with all the issues with SFV since it's release I hope that SFVI is a far smoother entry. I really miss the days of playing a SF game where there wasn't any known issues flying into my face.

Anyone know if the Alpha series ever had any wild problems? Back in those days while I was in school I didn't peep much.

I mean, what is your definition of issues? All those games had no like content and extremely poor balance on release. Way less characters than what we're accustomed to as well.

If you're only talking console releases, SF4 had a good roster and a few extra modes (Survival, Trials). Netplay was a joke because the netcode was awful and there was no RQ punishing system so once you got enough BP everyone plugged.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I.. I just had a smooth Brazilian match from Orlando.

I think he was getting all the rollback though.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Man...with all the issues with SFV since it's release I hope that SFVI is a far smoother entry. I really miss the days of playing a SF game where there wasn't any known issues flying into my face.

Anyone know if the Alpha series ever had any wild problems? Back in those days while I was in school I didn't peep much.
Infinites.

Mechanically SFV is great.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
there was no RQ punishing system so once you got enough BP everyone plugged.
That is false. The RQ system in SFIV was way harsher than SFV at launch. If you had a disconnect, even accidental, you lost huge ammount of points and it counted as a loss, and a win for the opponent who stayed on. I had as much ragequit in a week of SFV than in a year of SFIV.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
That is false. The RQ system in SFIV was way harsher than SFV at launch. If you had a disconnect, even accidental, you lost huge ammount of points and it counted as a loss, and a win for the opponent who stayed on. I had as much ragequit in a week of SFV than in a year of SFIV.

No, that's bullshit. There was no RQ system in vanilla SF4 at launch. That didn't come until later.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshinori Ono: We've worked hard on the game over the years. It's come through a tricky launch, where we had all kinds of comments coming from fans and the media - such as Eurogamer. But I think we've got to a good place now. Things have calmed down in the best sense of that word. When you've got a form of entertainment like this, we're providing a rulebook to create your own entertainment. Those rules need to be well established, and people need to be able to understand them and get onboard with them. I think everyone is at the moment, and all the additions we've made have brought it to a good place. We're still working on it, and we still have around half a million matches a day. That's something that provides us with a massive amount of data - we can view the inputs and outputs of all these matches and use it as research when it comes to which characters need nerfs, which need buffs. That's something we're going to be doing on an ongoing basis.

I mean, Ono will say what the Capcom company line is at the end. I'm fairly certain Ono and others at Capcom have heard the netcode complaints over the years and know the community wants it fixed, but if the men writing out the checks at Capcom won't give him the resources to do it, there really isn't much he can do.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I remember when the Honda/Poison/Lucia stuff leaked and Ono was devastated, everyone showed support to him and he seemed to take it all well in the end, so I'm thinking that maybe if all that same energy was used to ask Ono to look into this situation (without being assholes) then hopefully it'll get the ball rolling and we'll end up getting that fix officially. That is not to say that Capcom doesn't deserve blame, they totally do lol, SFV has a been weird product since launch.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
SFV still has no rage quit system. An Akuma French player even proved it by reaching to Platinum with a "100%" win rate

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
So how's the fix? So far I've heard it's nothing but trash and makes the game feel weird!

I think calling it a "fix" is very generous since it has a lot of bugs and causes one-sided rollback for PS4 players. It's definitely a good start and SFV netcode wasn't going to be fixed by Capcom so I'm not against them trying.

However, I do believe if Capcom put this out they would be crucified.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny to imagine all this shit storm going on and the possibility of a senior Capcom Executive being completely oblivious to the whole situation, just sitting in his office, repeatedly refusing Ono requests for 20.000$ checks to fix this mess.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He just wants people to buy his game. Saying the netcode has had major issues for 4 years since launch wouldn't exactly help his case.

That being said, no it doesn't look like they care enough internally to fix things.

At this point if there's going to be a better netcode it will probably be in SFVI.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think calling it a "fix" is very generous since it has a lot of bugs and causes one-sided rollback for PS4 players. It's definitely a good start and SFV netcode wasn't going to be fixed by Capcom so I'm not against them trying.

However, I do believe if Capcom put this out they would be crucified.

I wouldn't call it a fix so much as finally having some solid proof of whats plaguing the online experience with this game instead of guesses as to what it is. A true fix can only come from capcom as they're the only ones who can patch the PS4 version. The best this can do in its current form is fix 50% of the problem. And I say 50% because the one-sided rollback for PC players is the default.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a fix so much as finally having some solid proof of whats plaguing the online experience with this game instead of guesses as to what it is. A true fix can only come from capcom as they're the only ones who can patch the PS4 version. The best this can do in its current form is fix 50% of the problem. And I say 50% because the one-sided rollback for PC players is the default.
and even then, fixed vs fixed matches are inconsistent as well.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
He just wants people to buy his game. Saying the netcode has had major issues for 4 years since launch wouldn't exactly help his case.

That being said, no it doesn't look like they care enough internally to fix things.

At this point if there's going to be a better netcode it will probably be in SFVI.
Well yeah I can bet there will be in SFVI because MVCI had the fixes to SFV's netcode. Now the real thing to worry about imo is how the game is at launch. I really hope they listened and bring out what people want from a SF sequel. I am of the personal belief the esports focus made SFV a lesser game.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
When the thread title gets updated after the Tuesday patch with "UPDATE! capcom patched it out", I think that it'll make ripples outside of the fgc media/twitter. Thinking maybe Jim Sterling would pick up the story. To us, we know the patch is hit or miss, but to the masses capcom patching out a user "fix" is just too sensational to pass up.

Oct 25, 2017
When the thread title gets updated after the Tuesday patch with "UPDATE! capcom patched it out", I think that it'll make ripples outside of the fgc media/twitter. Thinking maybe Jim Sterling would pick up the story. To us, we know the patch is hit or miss, but to the masses capcom patching out a user "fix" is just too sensational to pass up.
That's fine. This game has dealt with this kinda bullshit for 4 years, whats another.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
and even then, fixed vs fixed matches are inconsistent as well.

No.

95% of matches (at least) have been fine.

The fix isn't randomly going to fix the occasional bad connectivity between users, random hardware or connection fails etc...

There have been dozens of tests on live streams + all of our individual dozens of matches.
It has worked incredibly well with a very small % of matches having an issue.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

95% of matches (at least) have been fine.

The fix isn't randomly going to fix the occasional bad connectivity between users, random hardware or connection fails etc...

There have been dozens of tests on live streams + all of our individual dozens of matches.
It has worked incredibly well with a very small % of matches having an issue.
lol I'm gonna need some sources/links, because this sounds like bs.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what is your definition of issues? All those games had no like content and extremely poor balance on release. Way less characters than what we're accustomed to as well.

If you're only talking console releases, SF4 had a good roster and a few extra modes (Survival, Trials). Netplay was a joke because the netcode was awful and there was no RQ punishing system so once you got enough BP everyone plugged.
Back then I was a kid so the less characters and balance issues didn't bother me. It didn't really stick out until SFIV hit and by then I was in my late teens so it was noticeable. At the same time IV's release was different. I don't know but there was just something special about those days. The game selling well, the series being revived and then the FGC really turned itself into something else then. Maybe that in itself helped cover up the few modes, netplay and whatnot.

Then when SSFIV dropped? Crazy.
Infinites.

Mechanically SFV is great.
Ah yeah I remember that lol.
Alpha 3 in particular is a wildly broken mess. But also my favorite game in the series.

Yeah with me it's a tie between 3 and 2. Alpha 3 had the new stages, dope music, all of those characters and a lot of extra modes attached to it.

But Alpha 2? It was just TIGHT. It was compact and everything really hit well.
What was the tweet he was responding to?
Some guy went off on him by saying that he had 4 years to fix the game and he couldn't do shit while a fan did what they couldn't do in no time, said he's disappointed in him and whatnot. Was basically going off in a long tweet.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The correct course of action is to hire this guy so then they can have two people working on netcode for SFV.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
What a shitshow of a game this has been since it came out.
I truly hope Capcom does something, but that's not what is going to happen.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
People are definitely taking the netcode mod into Ranked/Casuals. I had two matches tonight versus PC opponents where they were lagging noticeably different than what I have come to expect. The first guy was a 5-bar connection, but he was teleporting and rollbacking above and beyond what I'd normally see even if the opponent was a "5-bar" wifi warrior. The second guy was smooth as silk until about halfway into the 3rd round when the game instantly became severely laggy and rollbacking for me. It was like someone flipped a switch. The other guy was playing normally, but I couldn't react or really do anything.

I really hope Capcom addresses this mod soon in some way, because this "fix" is going to ruin SFV online in the long run if nothing is done.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this. A laggy match in that situation is better than NO match at all considering SO cal to Aus is 8000 miles away anyway. The patch likely made the match possible at-fucking-all.
Do you know what Australia vs us was like pre patch?

One sided rolback is worse than bad online. That means the other opponent can't play but you can.

This is not the answer you want to give.

The answer is that this one bad match was just an outlier.

You know the guy Sajam fought in Australia was getting mad lag right, even though it appeared fine on Sajam's stream?

ONE GUY he tested it with, that had a poor connection AND was in Australia (thousands and thousands of miles away), had a bad experience. The rest of his tests were positive, but not just him, Sheldon has been testing the patch on stream for 20 hours, with around a hundred matches clocked in, the results were extremely positive.

Ultra David has tested the patch for hours making sure people he was fighting had no issues on their end, and also had great results. Floe had great results.

Various users on reddit and in this very forum had great results. Tested it with all my friends we had perfect matches, including one that was France to New York.

That doesn't mean all matches are going to be perfect. Like I said, no fix is ever going to be able to account for every random parameter that goes wrong regarding players connectivity.

To claim the patch is "a disaster" is downright dishonest. It has been very consistently good as far as patched vs patched and 4/5 bars opponents go.

Patched PC to Ps4 in any connection (+ random hardware fail) that isn't great is going to be absolutely unplayable for the ps4 player though.

edit :

Well look at that, another one bites the dust

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
You know, I don't understand why there isn't a message in every fighting game that tells the user "btw, a wired connection will provide a much smoother online experience for you and your opponent !" .
When the only Fighter where official PR says "hey, play wired you nerd" is fucking Smash Bros., you know something's wrong.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
The second guy was smooth as silk until about halfway into the 3rd round when the game instantly became severely laggy and rollbacking for me. It was like someone flipped a switch.

Maybe he started alt+tabbing. Something like that happens when you do that.
There is also a way to force a lag without patch if the person starts mashing (or using a macro).

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on PC and don't have the patch installed. I decided to just play 1 quick set and got matched up with another guy on PC. It was pretty bad for me, but not roll backy. It felt really jittery and seemed like delay based. When the first match ended he rematched immediately so I did as well and the 2nd match felt the same.

I don't know if this guy has installed the patch but this is going to make me paranoid from now on. I feel like I have to install the patch too or I'm going to start suspecting every PC player that I have laggy matches with of having it and making things worse for me because I don't have it.

Last edited:

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think it's weird how people are trying to push some narrative that the patch is a bad thing. The game has been busted for 4 years lol.

Maybe now something will be done about it.