• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching Count's stream and it looks they might have extended the forward range on Cammy's bMP.

giphy.gif

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Was watching Count Black's stream and saw him do cr. HP > EX DP with Ryu mid screen when VT1 was activated. I got hyped, but then I realize his EX donkey kick is a easier(but less damaging) version of that and VT1 still only last as long as I did the first time I had sex. Still a pretty cool thing to be able to do. I'll be rocking VT1 sometimes just because of that.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I've been putting off the last four survival mode runs for what feels like weeks, so I finally got off my butt and attempted two characters tonight. I got my mind blown by how easy it was to finish normal runs with Menat and Juri. Got both done on the first try, but Menat's run was so easy and fast that I almost thought I was dreaming. They stand no chance against AA st.HK and neutral st.HP. I dropped below 50% health like once. Juri was a ton of perfects and a somewhat close call with Bison, but it was still pretty good. Just gotta finish Zeku and Balrog so I never have to touch survival mode again.
Hey, you can combo into Alex's vt2 swinging DDT, that's neat.
Looks like it should be very easy to get counterhits after landing one as well. Wakeup pressure is the name of the game with V-Trigger 2. I just wish successful chokes and DDTs didn't eat so much v-gauge. V-Trigger I lasts a good while. I'm worried V-Trigger 2 will run out too quickly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I did not realise the struggle of Ed. Dude has absolutely no range and a lot of his stuff has long start-up or recovery. I don't think he has a good whiff punishing or shimmy tool either.
His damage is good, but he basically needs zero range clean hits to get it, which is really hard in this game. At the same time you have to eat all the amazing pressure other characters have, too. He has put the whole game in perspective for me lol

Or should I be posting in the AE thread? Doesn't really fit.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
I've been picking up Ed too since a few days ago and he already feels like an upgrade coming from juri. He seems to be comboing more consistently in AE which brings me hope.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's agree they are both bottom of the barrel lol.
But him not being able to whiff punish pretty much anything with more than 1 hit just feels like he's in the wrong game. Or like they forgot to put another move in.

Last edited:

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you buy the S3 pass do you get some stages related to those chars too? First time looking into getting the pass so...

Cleared Hard Survival with Guile. The struggle was real. Birdie, Mika, Rashid and Necalli really wanted a piece, but they're going hungry tonight.

Sonic Cross spam really saved my ass when I got unlucky with bonuses too; another run with 4 x low health vs attack / defense bonus 1, really? Game is straight up trolling me.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
did story mode hard, and some survival easies that I still had left, in a mad dash for some of the last easy fight money I will get

can I cheese survival hard with Abigail? I kind of rolled over Normal with him, with the run+punch and run+flip

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
With AE around the corner and despite playing fighting games for years I just barely started looking at frame data lol...

...anyways how do I read it to find data on charge moves? Specifically, how many frames you need to hold back (ex: sonic boom) or down (ex: spinning bird kick) for a given move? Is it the same as startup or something else?

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think most frame data sources have charge times, that's usually not what people look for.
Pretty sure the standard is 40 frames for charge moves, but it does differ between moves.

Oh and it's not startup, that one tells you how long it takes for a move to hit after you started it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
With AE around the corner and despite playing fighting games for years I just barely started looking at frame data lol...

...anyways how do I read it to find data on charge moves? Specifically, how many frames you need to hold back (ex: sonic boom) or down (ex: spinning bird kick) for a given move? Is it the same as startup or something else?
Frame data doesn't usually have charge times listed, but FAT features both. For your example, look up Chun-Li, scroll down to spinning bird kick, click on it, and under extra info it'll tell you the charge time. In this case, 40 frames.

ZPAjFE8.png

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some of them take 30 frames to charge and some of them take 40 or 45 frames. Check the FAT app. Bison's scissors take 40 frames but his head stomp takes 30, I feel like I always overcharge that one.

The input buffer window for all of them is 10 frames (The window for when you press a button while doing the charge motion) which is hella forgivable, so keep that in mind too.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, got it, thanks! So the 'industry standard' on a charge is about 40 frames.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not able to cancel into a spinning bird kick on certain combos while a bunch of youtube videos show it is very much possible...just wondering if I'm not holding the down charge long enough (or I just suck lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't FAT stop updating? I was using Frame Data V because of that.

Ah ok, got it, thanks! So the 'industry standard' on a charge is about 40 frames.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not able to cancel into a spinning bird kick on certain combos while a bunch of youtube videos show it is very much possible...just wondering if I'm not holding the down charge long enough (or I just suck lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Link/name the combo and we'll help you. There are some finicky ones with standing normals before a charge move which aren't easy.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Link/name the combo and we'll help you. There are some finicky ones with standing normals before a charge move which aren't easy.
I'm just trying to do Momochi's old combo cr.lp > st.mp > cr.mk > sbk...yup, there's a standing normal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOrC-28lJog&feature=youtu.be&t=336

Ah...but I see he's using a l.sbk, I've been trying to cancel into a m.sbk.

So wait, there are different frame counts for charge moves depending on LMH...?

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just trying to do Momochi's old combo cr.lp > st.mp > cr.mk > sbk...yup, there's a standing normal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOrC-28lJog&feature=youtu.be&t=336

Ah...but I see he's using a l.sbk, I've been trying to cancel into a m.sbk.

So wait, there are different frame counts for charge moves depending on LMH...?

The thing that made charge combos so much easier for me is to always go down+back (for crouching normals) and back (for standing normals), never go neutral unless you have to during combos with charge chars.

Try doing that Chun Li combo this way:
(down back) cr.lp > (back) st.mp > (down back) cr.mk xx l.sbk. This way you'll NEVER drop the initial charge that you started with cr.lp.

And don't worry, if you time the (back) st.mp correctly you won't drop the combo by walking back, just practice it and you'll pull it off in no time.

And yes, the startup animated frames are different, Chun Li's SBK from fastest to slowest: EX (5f) > L (9f) > M (15f) > H (19f). See the big difference between M.SBK and L.SBK? That's why you can't chain that combo with either M.SBK or H.SBK

It's the opposite with her fireball, EX (11f), H (9f), and M (11f), L (13f). In case you might think thag H specials are always faster than L.

Edit: and holy fuck I just checked how many frames it takes to charge Chun Li's fireball and apparently it's 50.. goddamn, why can't this shit be universal at 30 frames Capcom..

Last edited:

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that made charge combos so much easier for me is to always go down+back (for crouching normals) and back (for standing normals), never go neutral unless you have to during combos with charge chars.

Try doing that Chun Li combo this way:
(down back) cr.lp > (back) st.mp > (down back) cr.mk xx l.sbk. This way you'll NEVER drop the initial charge that you started with cr.lp.

And don't worry, if you time the (back) st.mp correctly you won't drop the combo by walking back, just practice it and you'll pull it off in no time.
I didn't know going down-back > full back > down-back doesn't drop a down charge...

...dude, this is mind-blowing. lol

Is it the same for back charge too? down-back > full down > down-back > sonic boom, for example?

And yes, the startup animated frames are different, Chun Li's SBK from fastest to slowest: EX > L > M > H.

It's the opposite with her fireball, EX is the fastest, but H is faster than L and M.
Yeah, I'm able to see the frame data for startup, I meant to say does charge time on a charge move vary depending on LMH (or EX)...?

Thanks again everyone!!! All this info y'all provided is very enlightening =)

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah blame the game for your worthless internet router. I hardly see anyone complaining about SFV's online experience tbh, but then I just remembered you're that same dude who was shitposting in this thread awhile back.

SFV has the worst online experience of any of the fighting games I play. I've played friends on different games to compare, it's STILL ass.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know going down-back > full back > down-back doesn't drop a down charge...

...dude, this is mind-blowing. lol

Is it the same for back charge too? down-back > full down > down-back > sonic boom, for example?

Yeah, I'm able to see the frame data for startup, I meant to say does charge time on a charge move vary depending on LMH (or EX)...?

Thanks again everyone!!! All this info y'all provided is very enlightening =)
Yeah, back, down-back and down all keep the charge, the charge won't drop in your example, unless you screw up somehow and move down right instead of full down.

And regarding the second question, the charge time for a LMH or EX or even V-Trigger version of a charge move is all the same, e.g. all versions of Sonic Boom require 45 frames of charging.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't keep a down-charge when holding back, I think there is a misunderstanding here.
Yeah just tried doing that with Chun Li after reading your comment and didn't work.. Only charge I ever played is Bison and I'm sure that it works that way with him? unless I somehow don't know the exact motion of my charges and it's some sort of a placebo thing, which is plausible considering my scrub status. If that's the case then sorry for spreading misinformation GamePnoy74 .. you're gonna have to find another way to charge that L.SBK when you do a st.mp. I probably made this sound all confusing to you, ignore the underlined grey part of my post.

Edit: I'm a dumbass.. Bison's blast and scissors can all be charged whether you're holding back or down-back, for some bizarre reason I thought that it worked the same with down-up charge moves like SBK.

Last edited:

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
It's all good guys, I appreciate the help tho!

Momoko did mention in the video some concept of 'pre-inputing' a move which flew way over my head, for a sec I was thinking a down-back (pre-input?) > back > down-back charge was something like that...until mnz killed all my hopes of understanding lol =P

(I'm not able to try any of this until this evening after I get back from work)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I went 2-20 today with Ed. And his buffs look kinda weak, too. Not sure if I can keep this adventure up. There are characters that outrange, outpressure and outdamage him, not sure why that is. Like why is his V-Trigger so interruptable when other characters get an instant one? Why does his uppercut have 16 frames of startup? I think he's the only character that can get a meaty medium and nothing after, too.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ed's problem is that he has such garbage punishes, especially crush counter combos, which he barely has any of worth. I routinely do awful with him, but I have fun playing with him regardless.

I don't understand people like Floe that say Ed is solid, or that Ed is in a good place. Just because of the buff to cr.mk?

Oct 25, 2017
The only really solid Ed I see is Justin and his is extremely defensive. Almost in an absurd kind of way. I think that's what they mean, he counters the rushdown meta.

What is the biggest SFV discord? I need some tech.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait why I am posting in this thread. :|

Move to the AE OT, people. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.