• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really interested in the numbers but I know we'll never get them. I'm interested in just average player count numbers but I don't think it's possible to see those console numbers is it? And the PC numbers are certainly nowhere near indicative of actual player count/activity.

Despite all the content it's been getting part of me feels like they're still just executing their original plans, regardless of how successful it is. It's clearly successful enough to not cancel it outright like Marvel, but I don't feel like it's as successful as they'd like if they have to experiment with F2P and ads

Also, unrelated, but I feel like the F2P test is to figure out how many eyes they can get on ads so they can then better sell them to advertisers, and that's why the first ads are just for Capcom stuff.

Perhaps I'm just a cynic but yeah it really doesn't seem to me like the game has the success to warrant how much money they're dumping into it, especially when you compare any known numbers about it to any of their other recent successes like RE7, Monster Hunter World, and I imagine the expected success of the upcoming RE2 and DMC5.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. No one has any real figures on what they sunk into this and SF4 and what they're getting out of either. I gotta wonder how well this model is doing for them when they add loot boxes (yeah not real money, but the point is to burn your FM to drive you to real money) and now with this horrible ad stuff. Perhaps they've made enough to sustain the game, but just enough for that. If they had to abandon SFV as a failure, there might not be any coming back from that. Following through with the long-term plan for the game may a necessary step to preserve the franchise and not lose their esports position leading to the future plans.

Either that or it's doing well, and they're just getting way too greedy, because some of this stuff has been a bit much. I'm leaning toward the above.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're going down the inevitable path of ad-based costumes, at least the Red Bull ones showed that they weren't afraid to use costumes other than the default.

f496302475f7b1b140d66c262f537d59.png

Edit: JESUS I just saw how bad the ads are, I take it all back! Fuck that shit

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Last week I said I'd disable 'em asap an the paltry FM and gaudy awfulness of it all hasn't changed my mind any! Yuck! Get that crap outta here!

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Any fun examples of sponsors going a bit too far so far? Worst I can think of would be if Ryu would stare into the camera and be like "RED BULL!!!" while wearing his sponsored attire. Otherwise if the worst of it just so happens to be covering the Capcom Pro Tour, then that doesn't seem too bad since it is Capcom promoting themselves.

Of course though, it is understandable if things might start to go off the rails. It isn't like we need to take a good 10-20 minutes talking about how Cup Noodles is the greatest thing in the world while seeing Blanka wearing a Cup Noodle outfit.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those ads look absolutely horrible. Thank god it's optional only and I assume you are not forced to look at these costumes like the awful custom costumes Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The jim sterling and layman gaming or w/e videos is literally another level of entitlement. How is this so bad if its optional ? Are they just salty that people who dont care about how the game looks and leave it on are benefitting from it?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't check Jim Sterling vid, but yeah Layman Gaming's didn't do any research at all. SFV was actually better than SF4 when it comes to free stuff and content. The characters took a while since it went for a game as a service route, but you can get them for free. In SF4 I was totally against there not being any alternate costumes (because of silhouettes) they they added pay for alt costumes galore. With this you probably have to opt in and they are bonus FM not penalties if you don't use it.

I don't know if it was enabled or disabled when I checked it because I had already activated it or whatever not paying attention to what it started on. I can't imagine it being on by default though.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The jim sterling and layman gaming or w/e videos is literally another level of entitlement. How is this so bad if its optional ? Are they just salty that people who dont care about how the game looks and leave it on are benefitting from it?

It's not bad because of what it is right now, but what it's opening the door for. It wouldn't be wise to assume that it will remain just optional or just CPT related.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think the stage ads are fine because they've always been there pushing whatever event or thing capcom was doing lately, but i'm not using the character ads. They're way too obnoxious for me lol. I thought they were gonna be like the red bull colors. They were fine because the logos weren't plastered EVERYWHERE like these are.

The urien one is masterclass though lol

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys know if they finally managed to get the thing working on the EU PSN? I actually saved time to try this out, lol Crapcom.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
so this AD stuff and the amount of FM you receive is so negligable that it's not even worth the extended load times.

at most for some garish costumes and jarring transitions...you will earn a total of 150 extra FM ...a week.

No other changes have been made it seems and you still gain FM and extra mission rewards like you used to, you now have the option to earn barely a penny's worth more a week! what a deal!