• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, can I download it for free and keep it even after the period?
7cb.gif

No.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a good chance this patch is effectively the S4 pre-patch, and that updates will hit the following Monday.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So people can try characters they want to buy?

I would love to try Kolin and Juri.
I suggest you dole out your hard-earned fight money then!

(I mean I see no reason for Capcom to offer up every character for free even if it's just training mode)

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, SFV only has 2 seasons left going by Ono's quote about support up to 2020. If anything, this could be a litmus test for SFVI.

tbh this entire game has felt like a big experiment, starting with the misguided notions that lead to its condition at launch and leading us to the honestly fairly innovative list of features and events it has right now. SF6 should be an interesting release.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was tried in a couple of games last gen. It didn't go over well.
I was thinking straight up ads though, like YouTube style, like you're playing Assassins Creed and during loading bam, a two minute ad for Gillette or Mountain Dew with an option to skip after 5 seconds, or you can buy the ad free service :)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, this sponsorship stuff is so odd, but at the same time it sounds fine for the way they're implementing it.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Loading Ads – A sponsor will appear in the versus screen before a battle – this will not affect loading screen times
Well thank god for that, because I just started playing the game and one of my first complaints in the Story Mode was that the load times and amount of load screens between matches were fucking atrocious.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Came in thinking this would be some "free online play weekend" kinda deal. Not even close huh? Lame. If they're so focused on esporting the heck outta the game shouldn't the free trial include online play? Pretty weird they wouldn't work out a deal with Sony to do that.

Wonder if theres a catch here like having ta view ads a certain amount of times before getting the FM, or if'll be a one an done like the weekly knockover random stage background object mission. They're already advertising their tournament whatever stuff week in, week out with those notifications that pop up on my PS4 each week that I ignore. So I'ma ignore this also an striaght up disable it asap. Haven't bought anything with FM yet an maybe never will!

it's actually more if you bother to play the extra battles (and not lose)
Thats a huge gamble for someone of my skill level. More than likely end up losing far more than ever winning!

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
I really, really appreciate the option to turn the sponsorship ads off. I primarily play in battle lounges with old friends, so I wouldn't gain anything from it anyway.

Also, don't sleep on the free download. The game has come a long way since launch and is a lot of fun!

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bet $5 more fighting games follow SFV's lead on this if it sticks. Capcom is on the vanguard of this esports monetization, for better or for worse. (It's for worse)

Others will def follow. KOF and Tekken are the most likely to join in on this experiment.

I don't think its a bad thing: granted I'm a sucker and will always buy the full roster but for something like DBZ where I've devoted just a little bit of time or Blazblue I'd just as soon download it for free and just play the rotating character of the month and if I like it buy the season pass. Killer Instinct and DOA are ahead of their time.

If this business model takes off and we get a new Virtua Fighter I'm all for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought AE edition and gonna play it soon for the first time. Does the game have good built in tutorials for someone who is a SF expert but never played the game?

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
i think everyone should give it a try, i owned the game from day one and i still enjoy it as much as i did before. it's truly a great fighting game and a great Street Fighter!

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Bought AE edition and gonna play it soon for the first time. Does the game have good built in tutorials for someone who is a SF expert but never played the game?
Not really. The opening goes over the V-System and there are individual character demonstrations that give the basics of movesets. Neither of those are going to teach you how to play the game though.

Oh nevermind I didn't see the expert part. Then yeah, the above should be enough.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came in thinking this would be some "free online play weekend" kinda deal. Not even close huh? Lame. If they're so focused on esporting the heck outta the game shouldn't the free trial include online play? Pretty weird they wouldn't work out a deal with Sony to do that.

Wonder if theres a catch here like having ta view ads a certain amount of times before getting the FM, or if'll be a one an done like the weekly knockover random stage background object mission. They're already advertising their tournament whatever stuff week in, week out with those notifications that pop up on my PS4 each week that I ignore. So I'ma ignore this also an striaght up disable it asap. Haven't bought anything with FM yet an maybe never will!

Thats a huge gamble for someone of my skill level. More than likely end up losing far more than ever winning!

It will include online play. Just playing online on consoles requires you pay the junk fee. Free on Steam.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There are a few tutorials the game automatically starts with, but they are pretty basic from what I remember. The game does offer demonstrations (explaining for each character how some of their special moves work and what you can do with them) and trials. The latter are series of ten combo challenges, starting easy but becoming increasingly difficult. The difficult ones are too impractical to use in a real fight, but some of the basic ones are both easy to memorize and easy to perform, making them good tools for starting players.

Plus watching demonstrations and finishing trials reward you with Fight Money (the ingame currency) which you can use to buy stuff like costumes, stages or even characters.

Edit: whoops, thought you said "not an expert". In that case SFV shouldn't be too difficult to pick up. V-moves and V-triggers are included in most if not all combo challenges, so just doing those will give you a good idea of how they work and what to do with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does and it also has some great trials for characters that are really helpful, for additional guidance you can always check Youtube!
Not really. The opening goes over the V-System and there are individual character demonstrations that give the basics of movesets. Neither of those are going to teach you how to play the game though.

Oh nevermind I didn't see the expert part. Then yeah, the above should be enough.
It will include online play. Just playing online on consoles requires you pay the junk fee. Free on Steam.
There are a few tutorials the game automatically starts with, but they are pretty basic from what I remember. The game does offer demonstrations (explaining for each character how some of their special moves work and what you can do with them) and trials. The latter are series of ten combo challenges, starting easy but becoming increasingly difficult. The difficult ones are too impractical to use in a real fight, but some of the basic ones are both easy to memorize and easy to perform, making them good tools for starting players.

Plus watching demonstrations and finishing trials reward you with Fight Money (the ingame currency) which you can use to buy stuff like costumes, stages or even characters.

Edit: whoops, thought you said "not an expert". In that case SFV shouldn't be too difficult to pick up. V-moves and V-triggers are included in most if not all combo challenges, so just doing those will give you a good idea of how they work and what to do with them.
Thanks all. Look forward to putting in some time during the upcoming winter break!

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see the problem with this, as we've had in-game imagery for CPT and Red Bull for a while now. I am curious how much the upper limit is, though. They nerfed the CPT missions pretty hard this year, so I can't see them giving that much away.

They have. And when they did it they announced they were doing it and gave everyone plenty of warning when it was happening. And while it's not as significant as what they took away, they added other ways to earn it and beefed up the earnings in areas where it wasn't much before. If they were doing it again, it would be reflected in this announcement and it's not something they would just do without making it known.
I think he was referring to the halving of weekly mission rewards, which was never announced or even acknowledged by Capcom.

You def make more money with the Golden Shadaloo soldiers. And with the Rashido scrub tactics, it's not a gamble, it's a given.
Nope. I did the calculations for the first half of the year and the Golden soldiers gave around 84,000 net FM. The weekly missions gave around 104,000 FM in the same time period. So golden soldiers ended up giving 20k less FM compared to what we would have made had weekly missions remained the same. I'll try to do the calculations again when the year has finished.

Now, if you include silver soldiers, it gives the illusion that you're making a lot more FM than before, because 30k exp can get you lots of FM with a low level character. However, it can be a gamble when you have to face the CPU with a character you're unfamiliar with. And silver soldiers start becoming useless once a character reaches a level in the high 30s, because at that point it takes so much exp to level up.

That said, silver soldiers are still preferable to the previous fastest way of leveling up characters, Survival Mode. And you could make the case that golden soldiers are preferable to missions like, say, winning 10 ranked matches. But I don't think it's at all accurate to say that the soldiers give more FM compared to the old system.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I did the calculations for the first half of the year and the Golden soldiers gave around 84,000 net FM. The weekly missions gave around 104,000 FM in the same time period. So golden soldiers ended up giving 20k less FM compared to what we would have made had weekly missions remained the same. I'll try to do the calculations again when the year has finished.
Have you not calculated the current weekly missions there? That's 65K just in the 2500 weekly mission alone for 26 weeks.

p.s. with the Rashido tactic, like I said, no fight against the AI is a gamble.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Have you not calculated the current weekly missions there? That's 65K just in the 2500 weekly mission alone for 26 weeks.

p.s. with the Rashido tactic, like I said, no fight against the AI is a gamble.
Sorry, I may have been unclear. The gist of it is that the total amount of FM available until the end of June with weekly missions + golden soldiers = ~188,000 FM. If it was just the weekly missions at the old payout, but no golden soldiers, 208,000 FM would have been possible. One reason for this is that they were a bit inconsistent with soldiers at the start. They were more consistent the second half of the year, so it may have evened out.

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Doesn't League of Legends and DoTA 2 have ads in the maps during tournaments and stuff?

I don't see any problem if it doesn't affect the game performance. I'm all for more fight money and this game continuing as a service too.

What if this is just a warm up for SFV going f2p with free weekly characters and sponsored content? Hmmm

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I love the spin. What is actually happening is Capcom is giving you less FM if you don't watch the ads.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love the spin. What is actually happening is Capcom is giving you less FM if you don't watch the ads.
No, that's Capcom giving you the same amount they're currently giving you.

Not everything is a spin. Not everything merits spinning your faux outrage engines.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
No, that's Capcom giving you the same amount they're currently giving you.

Not everything is a spin. Not everything merits spinning your faux outrage engines.

Are you sure about that? They're also messing with the Extra Battle difficulty. No way they're going to make them easier.

"we have also been keeping an eye on the number of Extra Battle Challenges cleared and would like to adjust the difficulty, the number of plays, and the rewards."

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind this new sponsored stuff. As long as people have the option to then it off then it's fine by me. Looking forward to the reveals at Capcom Cup.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Too be honest, I'm not even mad about such adds.

When something like that came for the first time to several sports games like UFC Undisputed (3 I think?) And one of the old WWE titles, I thought it was kinda cool to have changing mats in the UFC ring and changing banners in the WWE arenas.

I don't see them as a bad thing, I always loved the dynamic aspect of this "feature".

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Turn them off if you don't want to see it.

I mean come on there are MUCH more shadier practices in $60 retail games in the gaming industry toady than ads you can turn off.