• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Fight-or-flight response nerves pump out hormone that wipes out pigmentation cells

Ya-Chieh Hsu, a stem cell biologist, found that stress causes nerves involved in the fight-or-flight response to pump out a hormone which wipes out the stem cells used to make hair pigments.

Prof Christopher Deppmann, a biologist at the University of Virginia who was not involved in the work, said he believed it had "profound implications" for how scientists think about stem cell biology, stress biology and potentially the ageing process.

Well, there it is. How gray is your hair, Era?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Obama proved this well before you, scientist.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm anecdotally
Went half-grey during my mum's first bout with cancer 3 years ago.
Now she is back in hospital.
I'll be lucky if it's just full grey instead of bald.

But would be happy with either as long as she recovers

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I thought greys were mostly genetic? My dad was full gray by like 35. I've got a little sprinkle of it but nowhere near as bad and I turn 35 this year.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The newsworthy bit is the mechanism behind how stress hormones affect hair pigment producing stem cells.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Can confirm too, had a couple of deaths in the past few years and ive got a lot more grey on me

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My anecdotal evidence agrees. Back when I was 25 or so I was responsible for delivering this major project that was way over my head, and I didn't even know how over my head it was... I wasn't sleeping, working too much, has no organization, no plan, and I started going gray in the aftermath of that. I thought... Eh it's my 20s just starting a little early. Well, nah 10 years later that's still the bulk of gray on my head.

My dad was mostly gray in his 20s and I just expected he same.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
The thing about this is that you have to differentiate between physiological stress and psychological stress. Having a rough month at work or having relationship troubles isn't gonna do much, even if you 'feel stressed'. It's the physiological stress that's the culprit, which can be the result of psychological stress, but it's not a sure thing at all. The kind of stress that affects things like this is more along the lines of rapidly losing or gaining weight, severe insomnia, surgery, an accident, etc.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I started balding and shaved my entire head so no grey hair. Checkmate stress.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had lots of greys since about 22 (tough tough lonely time in my life) and in my thirties Id thought I'd be fully white - but luckily, it's been slow going. If I ever grow my hair out again, it will have to be died though.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm properly salt & pepper at 39 and I am not stressed at all. My beard is badger like. I like it.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was certainly widely believed, but many things like that turn out to be old wives' tales. Providing scientific evidence for a common belief is still notable.
For sure. Validation is always nice. Just thought this was quite established already.
I'm properly salt & pepper at 39 and I am not stressed at all. My beard is badger like. I like it.
I think it is a good look. Fits most. I have some gray hair, but not proper s&p yet.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stress sucks. Getting old sucks. Don't you ever get old guys.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Yeah its true I'll be 30 in 5 months and I've noticed some greys. I thought it was from the straighening and dye jobs. I only dye maybe twice a year and its always the same color and brand so its not that. Straightening is really just for my ends so and the greys I've seen are coming from the top of my head.

Not to mention I'm constantly stressed.