• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
www.strongtowns.org

Revenge of the Strip Mall

I’m bullish on strip malls, for all their faults, as places that can adapt and endure even as the cities around them decline and falter. Here’s why.

The strip mall, in American culture, is more often than anything else an object of derision. It's an icon of chintzy postwar suburbia and the throwaway culture it nurtured. Strip malls are often described as ugly, tacky, devoid of culture or character or charm. And they're the flagship native species of a certain type of place: usually, today, a place that has long departed the growth phase of the Growth Ponzi Scheme and found itself sliding downhill into physical deterioration and economic stagnation.

Is it weird, then, that lately I'm finding myself bullish on the unsung strip mall?

There's a natural study in contrasts, an A/B test if you will, on the southern edge of my city that will help me explain why. An aging strip mall sits across the road from an aging conventional, indoor shopping mall. And there's no question in my mind which type of building has a brighter future in our struggling suburbs

Strip mall is home to a remarkably diverse and lively collection of businesses, virtually all of them locally owned. It's able to attract a healthy clientele at all hours of the day and days of the week; the parking lot is usually fairly full. The tenants include restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and a bar; shoe repair, a locksmith, and an old-timey barber shop; salons, furniture, and health stores, and an entertainingly bizarre survivalist outfitter-slash-tattoo parlor. If the American dream of the mom-and-pop entrepreneur is still alive, it's alive in places that look like this.

Now let's cross the stroad and look at the indoor mall. This mall, for a bit of history, is older and closer to the heart of town than the other two large shopping malls in Sarasota. When the brand new UTC Mall opened a few miles away in 2014 (the only new enclosed shopping mall in the entire U.S. in a more than five-year period), the owner of this one—the international mall conglomerate Westfield—saw the writing on the wall and moved quickly to rebrand the mall and diversify its offerings, adding restaurants, a grocery store, and a movie theater. Westfield are the undisputed pros at running this kind of place: if anybody could turn the Southgate Mall around quickly it was going to be Westfield.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Interesting article, thanks for posting. Strip malls are great for many reasons, but owners need to embrace their potential for community development rather than another Domino's. Mom and pop's (like the article states) need them. Couple that with some green space, seating, or simple amenities, and you have a big improvement over the typical ones.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Strip Malls are secret food meccas.

Houston taught me that.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Strip Malls are secret food meccas.

Houston taught me that.

Absolutely! I just went to a Russian restaurant tucked away in suburban Minnesota and it was tons of fun. The problem with strip malls (and suburbs in general) is never usually a lack of culture, but a lack of drive for community.

It's cheaper to just sell to a chain and not keep it clean.

Oct 27, 2017
Malls and strip malls near me are being converted. They're adding apartments, condos, and hotels. They knocked the Sears down at the nearest mall and in its place there will be a 500 unit apartment complex and restaurants.
The unfortunate thing is that every new apartment is "luxury" so it doesn't help lower rental prices.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been any efforts to turn a struggling mall into a full on arcology? There's one by me that's doing ok-ish, but with two anchor spots (out of five possible) an a bunch smaller spots empty, I keep thinking they could turn some in to apartments, one of the anchors in to a school or office space, one of the larger non-anchor spots in to a grocery store, heck you could even turn one of the anchors in to a mini-arena.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been any efforts to turn a struggling mall into a full on arcology? There's one by me that's doing ok-ish, but with two anchor spots (out of five possible) an a bunch smaller spots empty, I keep thinking they could turn some in to apartments, one of the anchors in to a school or office space, one of the larger non-anchor spots in to a grocery store, heck you could even turn one of the anchors in to a mini-arena.
I remember reading about a couple of them. I think the biggest issue a lot of these attempts face is they're too high priced.

unused area near me is being turned into a walkable live/work space

gtgtc-1.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Westgate near Glendale has the potential to be this. It's divided into perfect squares, too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost any commercial area is going to look good if you compare it to a decrepit enclosed mall.

Traditional malls are probably just going to have to die -- the rent is too high and the overhead is too much for them to compete against the likes of Amazon and big box stores. The only thing they ever really do right is offer large spaces for clothing stores, but you can't really survive on clothing alone and almost any other business would be better suited to an outdoor mall or strip mall.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Strip malls would be better if they nixed the parking lots and added several floors of residential above the shops.

Unfortunately, I think that raises the rent so these mom and pop local busineness can't afford to stay there anymore. Really sucks that mixed use projects are suppose to help the community, but in the end dilute some of the community influence.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Strip malls are indeed great at what they do, but only within the context of the hellish disaster that is the American suburb. It's a real shame how many are being bulldozed and replaced with CVS and Walgreens, or at least that's what happened in my hometown
This usually falls apart because the buildings themselves are garbage and it's easier to just knock it all down and start from scratch than retrofit them for new uses. They lack design characteristics worth saving, are simultaneously too specialized to easily shift towards other uses and not specialized enough to be particularly good at what they are, and are just too damn big.
Strip malls would be better if they nixed the parking lots and added several floors of residential above the shops.
Not really a strip mall at that point though, when the whole point of them is to be as cheap and easy as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
We have strip malls at damn near every intersection here in South Florida.

We have a lot of malls too, relatively speaking. There are 3 massive malls withing 15 miles of me. One of which is probably one of the 3 largest malls in the USA. But yea, strip malls feel better and look better in many cases.

Also, Westfield fuckin sucks as a mall ownership group.