• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Article

CBS NewYork said:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Beyond cutting, scratching and burning, a new form of self-harm in youth has emerged: "self-cyberbullying," where adolescents post, send or share mean things about themselves anonymously online.

According to the report, boys were more likely to cyberbully themselves (7 percent) compared to girls (5 percent), but the reason behind this behavior differed. Boys tended to do it as a joke or a way to get attention, while girls said they were motivated because they were depressed or psychologically hurt.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting stuff.

Its fascinating to see how much of the youth today are impacted by what happens online. I grew up with the rise of the internet in the 90s and I've never paid much adherence to what happens online. If someone said something mean about me, I said fuck them and moved on.

It's intriguing to see how the internet has evolved and that self harm via your cyber identity has become more of a thing.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all. It's often either a cry out for help, or it's people trying to engage in self-manipulation to further their goal of me vs the world, everyone hates me, and I can produce evidence to prove that. The later is still a form of a cry out for help, but it's a particularly twisted version because some end getting lured down a path of non-stop lying/self-deception.

It should still be treated like self-harm, such as cutting/burning/physical pain. The problem with the internet is it's just such an addictive drug for self-delusion, self-hurt, lying, manipulating, exaggerating and so on due to partial anonymity and ease of access/use. From a pragmatic stance, I'd rather people were abusing themselves online, than physically self-harming, but abusing yourself mentally is still incredibly serious. Just because there is no scars, loss of body function or physical pain doesn't diminish the mental affliction. It's easier for people to do as well, as many can't cope with physical pain/marks/evidence, so may think about physical self-harm but not actually do it. Making up fake accounts online, or lying or exaggerating has little instant downside, and it often has great rewards. If you're part of a community, or on a public social media profile, you'll potentially have lots of people rush to say positive things/support you/make you feel good. Well-intentioned, yes, but if you're lying/exaggerating/harassing yourself, all you're doing is deceiving others and manipulating them/yourself for personal gain or attention (some people potentially even do it for money/fame). None of that is actually going to help sort any of your true underlying concerns/issues, it will just lead you to seek ever greater hits of internet delusion, whilst never actually addressing your problems. You know you're lying to yourself, no matter how much false attention comes your way.

For anyone in the medical fields, trying to tackle some modern day self-harm and calls out for help will be slowly taking on new forms of people abusing/hurting themselves. The internet is far more involved in psychology education these days, from the notable large problem of trolling/abuse, but also like what I said above, the ways in which some can use the internet as a tool to self-harm/deceive themselves. People involved in any of the above need help, guidance and possibly counselling, but me speaking frank about what some do is also required because being factual plays a small part in public education/awareness. It's important not to be accusatory of people and go right to you're lying (unless there is serious evidence), but to talk about the above behaviours in a generic way, so those who know they are self-deluding can be educated by proxy on how it's only abusing themselves, manipulating others and not really tackling their true problems nestled deep in their minds/hearts.

Last edited:

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff.

Its fascinating to see how much of the youth today are impacted by what happens online. I grew up with the rise of the internet in the 90s and I've never paid much adherence to what happens online. If someone said something mean about me, I said fuck them and moved on.

It's intriguing to see how the internet has evolved and that self harm via your cyber identity has become more of a thing.

Yeah. I truly believe that social media at a young, developing age can do more harm than good.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I was listening to the radio when they were talking about this report. They said the term for it was Anxious Vanity. People online needing to have attention and wanting to be noticed by others. Or just wanting to be validated.

Everyone wants to be noticed, but other ways need to be used instead of this. Downplays the people who are actually getting bullied (even though it's only 1/20).

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to the radio when they were talking about this report. They said the term for it was Anxious Vanity. People online needing to have attention and wanting to be noticed by others. Or just wanting to be validated.

Everyone wants to be noticed, but other ways need to be used instead of this. Downplays the people who are actually getting bullied (even though it's only 1/20).

I understand why that was used, but I'm not fully in approval of it.

Vanity tips more towards those who are snake oil merchants for strictly monetary/fame/popularity reasoning, because of their egos or they're just shitty people wanting to exploit others. I think the majority of those self-abusing are doing it because they're genuinely unwell/mentally afflicted/suffering, and the exploitation of others comes as an unintended consequence. As you said they're just not using the right outlet, and doing far more damage to themselves than most seem to think. I truly think some actually believe they're self-helping, not self-abusing. Lying and deceiving yourself is definitely not self-help.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Interesting stuff.

People back then could just ignore the internet if they couldn't "grow a thicker skin".

Now everybody is kinda forced into the meat grinder if they want to live normally. Of course, there does seem to be a cultural shift towards taking what others say really seriously instead of just laughing it off.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
People back then could just ignore the internet if they couldn't "grow a thicker skin".

Now everybody is kinda forced into the meat grinder if they want to live normally. Of course, there does seem to be a cultural shift towards taking what others say really seriously instead of just laughing it off.

I'm with you. At some point society just jumped the shark with internet and freedom of speech. Freedom of Speech gives you the right to say what you want. Just don't be upset if people attack you verbally for it.

At some point it became more important we had our say and that it was respected, than it was to have discourse. I mean we've all done it. I've had nothing to do with a thread and still posted my opinion within it. It hurts when people reject our opinions, but even now I don't care. I think there is a generational divide on this. I'm still not convinced that you can't just ignore it and not let it bother you. To me the interest is the easiest bully in the world, because if it does get too much you can go do something else. I'm not old, but I fully expect that my mindset isn't the majority on this anymore. If anyone has experienced cyber bullying, I would like to hear about it.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eef.png