• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
A Guardian story about flat earthers. When I first heard about them I thought they were just bored trolls, but now we've got articles like this with researchers trying to figure out how to combat their rampant stupidity.

Researchers believe they have identified the prime driver for a startling rise in the number of people who think the Earth is flat: Google's video-sharing site, YouTube.

Their suspicion was raised when they attended the world's largest gatherings of Flat Earthers at the movement's annual conference in Rayleigh, North Carolina, in 2017, and then in Denver, Colorado, last year.

Interviews with 30 attendees revealed a pattern in the stories people told about how they came to be convinced that the Earth was not a large round rock spinning through space but a large flat disc doing much the same thing.

Of the 30, all but one said they had not considered the Earth to be flat two years ago but changed their minds after watching videos promoting conspiracy theories on YouTube. "The only person who didn't say this was there with his daughter and his son-in-law and they had seen it on YouTube and told him about it," said Asheley Landrum, who led the research at Texas Tech University.

The interviews revealed that most had been watching videos about other conspiracies, with alternative takes on 9/11, the Sandy Hook school shooting and whether Nasa really went to the moon, when YouTube offered up Flat Earth videos for them to watch next.

Some said they watched the videos only in order to debunk them but soon found themselves won over by the material.

Landrum, who presented her results at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington DC, said she did not think YouTube was doing anything overtly wrong, but said that if the site wanted to help it could tweak its algorithm to show more accurate information.

"There's a lot of helpful information on YouTube but also a lot of misinformation," Landrum said. "Their algorithms make it easy to end up going down the rabbit hole, by presenting information to people who are going to be more susceptible to it."

"Believing the Earth is flat in of itself is not necessarily harmful, but it comes packaged with a distrust in institutions and authority more generally," she added. "We want people to be critical consumers of the information they are given, but there is a balance to be had."

Landrum called on scientists and others to create their own YouTube videos to combat the proliferation of conspiracy videos. "We don't want YouTube to be full of videos saying here are all these reasons the Earth is flat. We need other videos saying here's why those reasons aren't real and here's a bunch of ways you can research it for yourself."

Google did not respond to a request for comment.

Sigh.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Social media in general, because of how easily information can be spread to just about anybody.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fundamental problem is people, and that many people are very much unable to actually critically think about well, anything.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Social media in general, because of how easily information can be spread to just about anybody.

yep and how easy it is to isolate yourself from things you don't wanna hear. And if you get challenged about it in day to day life outside of the internet? You ignore the person and retreat to your hole to confirm that the earth is still indeed flat

the internet is a plague

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the fundamental problem is people, and that many people are very much unable to actually critically think about well, anything.
I don't believe many are taught about checking sources. I've embarrassed my brother before because I fact checked an article he sent me but ultimately it's made him more skeptical and willing to double check so he doesn't do something like that again.

I wish checking sources was taught more.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
is it really surprising though? schools teach you to memorize shit, not think and so much of the media that we consume is made to be as safe as possible.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe many are taught about checking sources. I've embarrassed my brother before because I fact checked an article he sent me but ultimately it's made him more skeptical and willing to double check so he doesn't do something like that again.

I wish checking sources was taught more.
Back in school (90s/early '00s) it was very much taught in my school. The problem isn't that they're not taught, the problem is that they can't be taught.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The world is clearly very short on the right amount of skepticism.

In other words, the world is full of some real gullible fucks.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
All media can influence you unfortunately. Its not a problem specifically related to youtubers. I'd take new media with the choice of common sense on what to follow and research to televised and written corp media as the only option.

New media is very important to break the echo chamber and provide good counterbalance(when it comes to progressive views, opinions and just information in general that gets glossed over otherwise), even if it comes with the risk of right wing heresey and clear conspiratorial garbage like flat earth theory. I dont want the owners of these outlets being the ones on a whim deciding what they personally can judge is conspiratorial or not. Because then we get into some real shady shit.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Content created by a majority of white males is oozing with their lack of education, anti-intellectualism and downright offensive and toxic views. Who would have thought that? I'm shocked by that.

/s

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems kinda unintuitive to give blame on the delivery medium for stupid people.
I think if we can credit Gutenberg's press for the proliferation of literacy across Europe we can assign some blame to YouTube for the proliferation of, well, idiocy.

It's a "free" tool that gives anyone with access to the internet an immediate and massive audience with little to no filters for the content as well as the new technology of "relevant content discovery" which for whatever reason skews towards more idiocy. It would be like giving everyone their own plague rats except the plague is flat earth and the rats are the youtube platform.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yep and how easy it is to isolate yourself from things you don't wanna hear. And if you get challenged about it in day to day life outside of the internet? You ignore the person and retreat to your hole to confirm that the earth is still indeed flat

the internet is a plague

We have had thousands of years of organised religions before the internet was even thought of. If your view got challenged you similarly retreated into your church or closed community.

People just like to belong to "something" and I doubt youtube is making this worse. It'll just be shifting the people around to believe in whatever is currently trending.

Flat earthers? Sure. Seems a lot more harmless to me than the alternatives.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The delivery method isn't entirely to blame, but there's also a responsibility to platform holders to maintain their platforms.

However, as big a pain as Youtube is, I honestly feel that while the views are given some sort of platform on Youtube, it's news organisations trying to give "balance" where the legitimacy comes from.

You can't bring on a flat earther and someone who isn't an idiot and pretend both their view points are completely valid or worthwhile opinions. We need to stop pretending opinions are worthwhile in the face of facts.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think if we can credit Gutenberg's press for the proliferation of literacy across Europe we can assign some blame to YouTube for the proliferation of, well, idiocy.

It's a "free" tool that gives anyone with access to the internet an immediate and massive audience with little to no filters for the content as well as the new technology of "relevant content discovery" which for whatever reason skews towards more idiocy.

Difference being social media platforms belong to private entities. They have the ability to control what is shown and what isn't shown on their platform. They already do this with the ToU they establish.

But whenever the opportunities arises where they can make just a slight exception to idiocy, they allow it because it brings in the ad revenue.

Those at fault are the corporations that allow it to happen because it benefits their pockets.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have had thousands of years of organised religions before the internet was even thought of. If your view got challenged you similarly retreated into your church or closed community.

People just like to belong to "something" and I doubt youtube is making this worse. It'll just be shifting the people around to believe in whatever is currently trending.

It's much easier to do now. Yeah, religion is a thing, it still is, but now it's a click away instead of an expedition.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Difference being social media platforms belong to private entities. They have the ability to control what is shown and what isn't shown on their platform. They already do this with the ToU they establish.
Yes. All the "free speech" handwringing about content policing is entirely bunk.

They could do it, they choose not to, cause $$$.

Conspiracy theories and bad ideas can be fought by starving them, which is a reason social media companies have some responsibility to the common good. For example, UFO authors and UFO clubs declined as personal video recording became commonplace. With fewer people claiming to have seen UFOs without proof, less persons have been suckered in to UFO culture.

But companies are literally spreading stupidity for profit.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The problem of people buying into stupid conspiracy bullshit isn't new or unique to YouTube. However, I do think the way the YouTube recommendation algorithm works, and algorithmic content feeds in general work, is uniquely troubling because they are not designed to serve uniform content to broad group of viewers, but content that is microtargeted to conform to your active viewing patterns and maximize active ad viewership. The former is problematic, but at least has to conform to a common grasp of truth the viewing audience has to be sustainable; the latter will keep serving content that is completely divorced from reality because there is no opportunity cost to pushing that content out to the people who are susceptible to it. It exacerbates the fundamental problem that the system that makes mass media profitable has absolutely no interest in any principles of journalistic integrity or truth that might limit the ability for advertisers to maximize eyeballs on screens, even if it means serving dangerous rhetoric to vulnerable minds. So long as the adverts play over the video, Google doesn't give a shit.

I think the only way to push back against this is for people to come together and collectively block advertisement until Google, Facebook, and entities like them institute some common standard for content that can be served algorithmically, without input (so video recommendations and news feeds, not content searches) on their platforms.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Of all the stupid that goes on in the world, this one will always stick out as so confusing. We've photographed it. What more proof do they need?

Do they also believe the Moon and the other planets are flat? Because the Moon's up there right now and looks pretty fucking round to me.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the world was really spinning every time you jumped it would keep spinning under you and then you'd slam into a tree or something.

#truth

#teachthecontroversy

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do these people believe the earth is flat but other plants are round or are all planets flat? Why is the moon round?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If Carl Sagan were alive today.....

I need to read the Demon Haunted World again.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the stupid that goes on in the world, this one will always stick out as so confusing. We've photographed it. What more proof do they need?

Do they also believe the Moon and the other planets are flat? Because the Moon's up there right now and looks pretty fucking round to me.
No, they actually believe that the other planets are round because, wait for it... we've photographed them.

And no, I'm not making that up.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Do these people believe the earth is flat but other plants are round or are all planets flat? Why is the moon round?

if you chang your viewpoint on scientific fact cause you watch a couple of videos, chances are you're a complete idiot void of any common sense or intelligence. They probably don't even think of humans as animals cause we wear clothes or some shit.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
No, they actually believe that the other planets are round because, wait for it... we've photographed them.

And no, I'm not making that up.
But... but we photographed this one too...

That's a level of ignorance and denial I wouldn't have thought possible but alright then. Here we are!

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And by. People seem to be forgetting this over and over and over.

Twitter gives equal voice to both the greatest philosophers of our time (we don't have many), and a racist orange shitbag. Which do you think is going to spread further?

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube has some degree of responsibility for what is hosted on their platform. I don't see why blatant misinformation should be allowed.
Exactly. This is rampant recklessness on the part of media sharing and social media sites. There are fundamental perverse incentives at work here that are literally destroying the political underpinning of democracy. The conflict of interest is blatant. At this point, there should be a similar peer review system on YouTube like there is on Wikipedia.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But... but we photographed this one too...

That's a level of ignorance and denial I wouldn't have thought possible but alright then. Here we are!
Yep.

They seem to have no problems believing that we can photograph something billions of miles away, but any thought of strapping a GoPro onto a balloon is somehow part of some big conspiracy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Likeminded people finding each other so easily is a double edged sword

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The ease of access to audiences to influence has changed a lot.
There's a reason people filming themselves for internet are called 'influencers' now, and the popular pool already includes those more harmful alternatives and then some.

Oct 27, 2017
It's like going to the library, only whenever you return a book on geopolitics the librarian recommends Protocols of the Elders of Zion.