• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao. So basically they just claimed VJ3 and MCC for Switch are happening and added a bunch of obvious things onto that. Which, conveniently, will make people more inclined to believe those two things will happen.

Edit: Just noticed the blacked out part with "poo poo weiner pants". So a broad claim where only the obvious half pans out.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shoot, I bought DMC1 yesterday (on sale for $18 CDN) assuming that I'd get a discount on 3, as that's what the early talk said. But here we are, and buying 3 gives you a 50% discount on 1 and 2 instead. Shoot! Not a huge problem, as I wanted to buy 1 anyways, but still, I should've waited.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, well, there it is. Definitive version on Switch, assuming nothing else gets patched.
I don't know about that. Everyone on other platforms have pretty much moved on from it as it's almost been exactly 2 years since the Devil May Cry HD Collection has been re-released on PS4, Xbox One, & PC.

The PC version maybe has a chance, maybe.

I'd love them to be ported in the other versions, but this seems like a switch exclusive. Maybe timed at least. This has definitely bumped up the game as one of my favorite games of all time now for sure. Please god be no other downsides to this game

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
So I'm guessing that the three will be...
  1. Style Switching
  2. Insta-Switching for Every Weapon in the Game
    • See DMC5
  3. Super Sparda Bros. (Dante & Vergil co-op)

This sounds like a safe bet and I'd be happy with it. Just pre-purchased it today and got it loaded up! I didn't see a discount even though I have DMC1 which is kinda weird, but whatever. I had like 900 coin credit so I got the game for roughly 10 bucks. Not too shabby for what is seemingly gonna be the definitive version of DMC3.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a safe bet and I'd be happy with it. Just pre-purchased it today and got it loaded up! I didn't see a discount even though I have DMC1 which is kinda weird, but whatever. I had like 900 coin credit so I got the game for roughly 10 bucks. Not too shabby for what is seemingly gonna be the definitive version of DMC3.
wait a second can you preload the game already? like download it? if so it might get pirated and datamined soon, which sucks, but that might spoil everything.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Style switch AND full weapon switching would be legit incredible
6 Styles (Swordmaster, Gunslinger, Trickster, Royalguard, Quicksilver and Doppelganger)
5 weapons (Rebellion, Cerberus, Nevan, Beowulf and Agni & Rudra)
5 Guns (Ebony & Ivory, Shotgun, Kalinna Ann, Artemis and Rifle)

+

Co op with Vergil on bloody palace. (and if they somehow add online to this, it would be a fucking killer)

Can definitely make this game the undisputed best action game ever. Because no other dmc game has been able to include quicksilver and doppelganger, and trickster doesnt have vertical/horizontal wallrun, and we also lost wild stomp and free ride somehow along the way (And we kinda also lost weapon specific DT moves like Neva's air-ride and that air shooting thunder out of hands move/, so a combo video incorporing all these fucking awesome moves will be just out of this world,

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expanded loadouts is a reasonable expectation. Since it basically just requires the same adjustments as style switching.

Wait, I guess 'free-style' is what we're supposed to call it now?
Yeah, definitely, I was looking to the pictures/footage to see if in any moments he is changing weapons, or using various weapons in the same envyroment, that might give it away, but thats a sure bet, at least co-op is semi confirmed.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it semi-confirmed ? Did something give it away ?
The eshop listing saying the game supports 2players, (it tecnically has always supported 2 characters, since in original dmc3 and all its re-releases you can play 2 player couch co-op in doppelganger, by pressing start on 2nd controller after you activate the style, the shadow dante can be controlled individually by 2nd controller (both on same screen tho, and screen only follows main dante, so its kinda tricky), this is also possible on mission 19 in which you can control another certain character the same way in that boss battle.

So while the game does tecnically support 2 players, I dont think thats a "proper" 2 player game for them to list it as 2 player game on eshop, so most likely they added a propper co-op on bloody palace, or maybe even in campaign who knows, I would say its full co-op in which you can do 2 dantes or 2 vergils, or 1 dante and 1 Vergil in bloody palace and maybe even in missions.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
16th: Style Switch
30th: All weapon Switch
13th: Switch Physical Collector's Edition

Please!!

There has to be something Vergil related. Since Matt dropped two Vergil related hints in both videos.

One, you can't just say "motivated" and expect people not to expect you're talking about Vergil.

Then he did it again today by reference a line of dialogue directly to Vergil, "it looks like we have time for one more game..."

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There has to be something Vergil related. Since Matt dropped two Vergil related hints in both videos.

One, you can't just say "motivated" and expect people not to expect you're talking about Vergil.

Then he did it again today by reference a line of dialogue directly to Vergil, "it looks like we have time for one more game..."
Oh definitely, I think whats Vergil related its the co-op thing, choose Vergil or Dante and partner up with a CPU or Player 2 and have some fun in bloody palace, thats the most plausible one I can think of, getting "new" missions/story content for Vergil would be too much and would also be costly, unless they had some stuff lying around that they can easily incorporate, but that's really unlikely.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

I really hope people don't complain about the whole Smash thing during the stream. Even though I wouldn't call it a necessary stream either. We all know how style change works.

OP
OP
Okabe

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Freestyle DAB

5nR36ZP.jpg

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Irregular full custom weapon switching would be immense. A version of the style switcher mod has it as a feature, but it's always been slightly buggy on that front (maybe it's been fixed now, though).

This sounds the most likely and would be fucking sick. Probably just like DMC5 where you can omit weapons as well(Spiral and Nevan)

Omitting Nevan is heresy.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Free Style is an optional mode, and not the default.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A proper co-op would be even more work I would have to assume.

Depends. I expect it will just be a rejiggered version of the existing co-op structure. Probably local only, uses the same camera unless on different screens.

I just look at what modders have been able to do and expect what's about the limit of what's doable without a massive reworking. So style switch, full weapon switch and co-op.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Training mode is more likely but I can't 100% rule out Bloody Palace local coop.

DMC3 already has pseudo local coop built in at very specific conditions. It's one of the wildest secrets in gaming, no one even knew about it until like months after release. The Doppelganger style allows the 2nd player to control the clone (giving you pseudo coop with Super Dante enabled). And in the Dante/Vergil fight vs Arkham, the 2nd player can control Vergil.

Both the players are limited in their actions because the style button is occupied by a function (O button calls Vergil in the Arkham fight and O button summons Doppelganger). However with OTF style switch that would rectify this theoretically.

I still wouldn't want coop in the campaign because the camera is always in player ones perspective and the levels are built around this. However, in a circle area like the Arkham fight or more specifically Bloody Palace this can work much better. It would still be local because 0% chance Capcom builds new netcode and MP system just for a port but a local coop BP would just be using assets the game already has.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Reveal #1: Free-Style mode

Reveal #2: Literal Vergil co-op. Vergil himself actually comes to your house to play the game with you. The temperature drops noticeably when he enters the room. You feel his silent, cold disappointment as he judges your skills and finds them wanting. You disgust him. He finds you utterly pathetic. A worm. Not fit to lick the soles of his boots. Your heart beats hard, sweat starts to prickle at your skin as a rising flush of shame burns. You are a worm. Hurt me daddy...

Reveal #3: All weapons equippable at once!

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Depends. I expect it will just be a rejiggered version of the existing co-op structure. Probably local only, uses the same camera unless on different screens.

I just look at what modders have been able to do and expect what's about the limit of what's doable without a massive reworking. So style switch, full weapon switch and co-op.

That's why I think it's just Co-op in BP. A lot easier that way.

Sep 20, 2018
I really hope we get irregular full custom/all weapons able to equipped at once. That would make DMC3SE better than DMC5 for me, and it would also just be so much fun. But I don't see them giving all this stuff to Dante and not giving Vergil anything. So I'm worried we won't get full weapon switching.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious. Has anyone here put serious time into the Switch versions of 1 and 2? How do they fare against the PS3 or PS4 versions? Resolution, frame rates, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm curious. Has anyone here put serious time into the Switch versions of 1 and 2? How do they fare against the PS3 or PS4 versions? Resolution, frame rates, etc.

Everything is like for like.

The entire HD collection has a few minor issues from the original PS2 games (sound effects, music looping, some graphical inconsistencies) but it's overall a strong HD collection (not like the Silent Hill collection) which has then carried on to the PS4 / Switch versions.

Resolution is 1080p and framerate is 60 fps.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is like for like.

The entire HD collection has a few minor issues from the original PS2 games (sound effects, music looping, some graphical inconsistencies) but it's overall a strong HD collection (not like the Silent Hill collection) which has then carried on to the PS4 / Switch versions.

Resolution is 1080p and framerate is 60 fps.

Fantastic news. Thank you. I skimmed some textual reviews, but couldn't really find any hard analyses.

So with the new additions, there's every reason to expect that this may be the most enjoyable console version of DMC3SE to date.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Do I dare get my hopes up that they'll fix the bug with Kalina-Ann's grapple not working?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Fantastic news. Thank you. I skimmed some textual reviews, but couldn't really find any hard analyses.

So with the new additions, there's every reason to expect that this may be the most enjoyable console version of DMC3SE to date.

Oh, easily. Especially when you consider what the next two updates would be. I'd argue the joycons might not be the greatest controller, but most people use a gamepad when docked.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I might buy this, but either way it would be super whack to lock a massively significant and game changing feature like style switching into a single port.

It would be just as crazy to make weapon switching a PS4 exclusive.

No beuno.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This is cool and all but it all strikes me as really random. Like why all of these additions and all this extra promotion for this particular port?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
This is cool and all but it all strikes me as really random. Like why all of these additions and all this extra promotion for this particular port?

Well, DMC3 is the first DMC game that Itsuno is really a part of in whole. DMC2 sucks. DMC1 is Kamiya's and probably needs a full remake like overhaul to catch up to modern day top tier action games.

DMC3 is still fantastic to play, and giving it some updates can easily modernize it (outside of visuals) to DMC4/DMC5 combat.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Well, DMC3 is the first DMC game that Itsuno is really a part of in whole. DMC2 sucks. DMC1 is Kamiya's and probably needs a full remake like overhaul to catch up to modern day top tier action games.

DMC3 is still fantastic to play, and giving it some updates can easily modernize it (outside of visuals) to DMC4/DMC5 combat.
I'm replaying DMC (never got far on PS2) on Switch and I think it's pretty great, and I'm excited to play 3 and heard wonderful things. I see what you mean about modernization.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Devil May Cry 1 is still legitimately good and still has better combat mechanics, enemies, n boss fights than most modern action, action/adventure, or action rpg games.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

DMC3's 15th anniversary is on 17th of February. That's probably part of it. Besides that, I dunno. Maybe after DMC1 and 2 they felt they needed to add something extra to justify people paying $20 for the game standalone when they've previously been part of a collection for 7 years.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how these kinds of mods work, but I wonder if it'd take much more work to update DMC1 in a similar way. There are enough unused or doubled-up buttons in that game's control scheme to retrofit it with real-time weapon switching. I saw someone here recently suggest taking the redundant extra Shoot button and mapping it to Ifrit full-time, so you'd have Alastor on Triangle and Ifrit on Circle with no need to switch between them.

No idea if it's possible, but, y'know, while we're dreaming :P