• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
While I'm excited for this I really hope they change the switch sound from that annoying clanging.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, you can pre-load. I'm not sure, have Switch games been data mined in the past?
Yeah, recently it happened with Pokémon Sword/Shield (they datamined all the pokemons data, quantity etc), happened with Smash back then too. (Hackers got access to both games several days before release, like 3 weeks before for smash and for pokemon at least a week). Hopefully this doesnt happen to this game, it would suck to have DMC team surprise spoiled.

And y'all dragging us innocent others down with you, forcing those abdominations of avas on us all! D:

tenor.png

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, recently it happened with Pokémon Sword/Shield (they datamined all the pokemons data, quantity etc), happened with Smash back then too. (Hackers got access to both games several days before release, like 3 weeks before for smash and for pokemon at least a week). Hopefully this doesnt happen to this game, it would suck to have DMC team surprise spoiled.

Damn yeah, here's to hoping it remains a secret until the DMC team makes their announcements. Either way, I'm super hype to have this game on Switch with the new features. The Switch really has been becoming a great platform for character action games, with Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes III coming this year hopefully.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn yeah, here's to hoping it remains a secret until the DMC team makes their announcements. Either way, I'm super hype to have this game on Switch with the new features. The Switch really has been becoming a great platform for character action games, with Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes III coming this year hopefully.
Hell yeah, these kind of games are perfect for a platform like switch, I love bursting out mine in long waiting lines at banks, or at some quick break, play 1 or 2 10 minutes missions go for my best score, or just practice some combo that came up into my mind, its just too convenient (turn it on in a second to do the combo, turn it off, its like 1 minute greatness), I know I will play DMC3's mission 2 a bazillion times more now.

I have always loved how Nintendo has supported the character action games, since the Wii era by securing exclusivity of Platinum Game's first IP Madworld, Getting 2 exclusive no more heroes games, then managing timed exclusivity of NG3 Razor Edge for WII U, then literally saving Bayonetta 2 (and not censoring at all, letting platinum go through with their vision, also getting Bayo'1 re-release too with added Nintendo characters licensed costumes), funding 2 new platinum games and creating the new ips of Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain, now funding Bayonetta 3, Wondeful 101/DMC4 SE ports are everything but confirmed at this point, then having no more heroes 3 exclusive too and then somehow we get a God tier version of DMC3 SE (don't exactly know if they had a hand in this) but it being switch exclusive might imply there might be some negotiations behind the scenes.

Hopefully Platinum Games re-releases MGS Rising and I also wish team ninja releases a ninja gaiden compilation.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Hell yeah, these kind of games are perfect for a platform like switch, I love bursting out mine in long waiting lines at banks, or at some quick break, play 1 or 2 10 minutes missions go for my best score, or just practice some combo that came up into my mind, its just too convenient (turn it on in a second to do the combo, turn it off, its like 1 minute greatness), I know I will play DMC3's mission 2 a bazillion times more now.

I have always loved how Nintendo has supported the character action games, since the Wii era by securing exclusivity of Platinum Game's first IP Madworld, Getting 2 exclusive no more heroes games, then managing timed exclusivity of NG3 Razor Edge for WII U, then literally saving Bayonetta 2 (and not censoring at all, letting platinum go through with their vision, also getting Bayo'1 re-release too with added Nintendo characters licensed costumes), funding 2 new platinum games and creating the new ips of Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain, now funding Bayonetta 3, Wondeful 101/DMC4 SE ports are everything but confirmed at this point, then having no more heroes 3 exclusive too and then somehow we get a God tier version of DMC3 SE (don't exactly know if they had a hand in this) but it being switch exclusive might imply there might be some negotiations behind the scenes.

Hopefully Platinum Games re-releases MGS Rising and I also wish team ninja releases a ninja gaiden compilation.

Exactly, the Switch just changed the game in that respect.

DMC3's first couple missions are so much fun, between being in Dante's office, to the streets and then the dance club, it just has a chill vibe about it. It's the same reason I always come back and play the 1st Mission after the Prologue in Bayonetta 2. Just the fact that you're on this air fighter jet soaring through this city as you fight enemies and then ends up fighting a giant beast boss that's climbing a skyscraper (a battle that would be the final boss in any other game) makes it a level I always come back to replay. There's just such a great flow and spectacle to that mission, it amazes me every time.

Exactly, for me and Nintendo consoles, many times because I mainly play character action games, I usually have these drought periods where there isn't much to play but I always know that they have a couple of games cooking in the oven for me, and I always know I'll get my use out of their systems eventually. They may not be the most technically demanding games, but they always try something new from a gameplay/mechanics angle, and they really value games that feel like games. This year Astral Chain was the game I sunk the most time into on the Switch because of how deep the mechanics and world were.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, the Switch just changed the game in that respect.

DMC3's first couple missions are so much fun, between being in Dante's office, to the streets and then the dance club, it just has a chill vibe about it. It's the same reason I always come back and play the 1st Mission after the Prologue in Bayonetta 2. Just the fact that you're on this air fighter jet soaring through this city as you fight enemies and then ends up fighting a giant beast boss that's climbing a skyscraper (a battle that would be the final boss in any other game) makes it a level I always come back to replay. There's just such a great flow and spectacle to that mission, it amazes me every time.

Exactly, for me and Nintendo consoles, many times because I mainly play character action games, I usually have these drought periods where there isn't much to play but I always know that they have a couple of games cooking in the oven for me, and I always know I'll get my use out of their systems eventually. They may not be the most technically demanding games, but they always try something new from a gameplay/mechanics angle, and they really value games that feel like games. This year Astral Chain was the game I sunk the most time into on the Switch because of how deep the mechanics and world were.
I absolutely adored Astral Chain (Was mind blown how deep and innovative that combat system is), and like you said with Bayonetta 2, its just awesome to play these arcadey deep combat system games in short bursts, aiming for a score, or just chilling out for the thrill of it, Bayo 2 is awesome in that regard, I went as far as to order the japanesse collectors edition that comes with Bayonetta 1 physical, its a shame DMC3 SE is only digital, I would have loved to get it physical.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I absolutely adored Astral Chain (Was mind blown how deep and innovative that combat system is), and like you said with Bayonetta 2, its just awesome to play these arcadey deep combat system games in short bursts, aiming for a score, or just chilling out for the thrill of it, Bayo 2 is awesome in that regard, I went as far as to order the japanesse collectors edition that comes with Bayonetta 1 physical, its a shame DMC3 SE is only digital, I would have loved to get it physical.

Yeah, Astral Chain really is something, also easily one of the most graphically impressive games on the Switch. My only main gripes with it were the 30 fps and the over-reliance on the RPG side of damaging enemies, it kind of grated on me after a while in the late game battles. It only really happened in the post-game bonus levels after you beat the game I'd say. I got to around stage 50 or so and it got way too complex for me, it's like I could do it but it was cumbersome to perform everything and I had to constantly be using items and my legion's abilities. Just wish the reward for beating those missions was something better than just an unusable item that proves that you beat all of them. Still an amazing game, but I prefer the more straight gameplay action of DMC, etc. Which is why I can't wait for DMC3. If Capcom did an HD remaster of God Hand on Switch I'd lose my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I have no idea how these kinds of mods work, but I wonder if it'd take much more work to update DMC1 in a similar way. There are enough unused or doubled-up buttons in that game's control scheme to retrofit it with real-time weapon switching. I saw someone here recently suggest taking the redundant extra Shoot button and mapping it to Ifrit full-time, so you'd have Alastor on Triangle and Ifrit on Circle with no need to switch between them.

No idea if it's possible, but, y'know, while we're dreaming :P

Capcom really has an all or nothing approach in their game's now. It's either low budget ports, or full on AAA sequels to their big franchises.

I'm really surprised DMC3 is gettinng the updates that it is.

I think a lot of people at Cap Dev 1 really just did want to do something for the fans.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom really has an all or nothing approach in their game's now. It's either low budget ports, or full on AAA sequels to their big franchises.

I think a lot of people at Cap Dev 1 really just did want to do something for the fans.
Makes me wonder if DMC4 SE will get some sort of added content too.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So we have to be getting an official implementation of the all weapon switching mod too right?

But what could the third thing be?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

You forget their "mid-tier" slot, which I think they're slowly, but surely, establishing, again. Series like Mega Man wouldn't be enjoying its current renewal, if Capcom was truly "AAA or nuthin".

If BASARA makes a return in the gaming sphere within the next year or two, as well (besides the mobile game, at least), that would only cement my belief that Capcom sees the importance of mid-tier stuff to pad out their usual slew of ports and new titles. Ports, alone, can't be expected to fund their further business ventures, and mobile is still an area that they're trying to find a lasting foothold.

They need stuff that can be relatively cheap to make, but sells well enough, and furthermore, sells even more merchandise. That's Rockman and SB, all over.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we have to be getting an official implementation of the all weapon switching mod too right?

But what could the third thing be?
I believe its co-op mode, either on bloody palace, or maybe even across al missions too. But this is almost a given since the game says it supports 2 players on the eshop description.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
You forget their "mid-tier" slot, which I think they're slowly, but surely, establishing, again. Series like Mega Man wouldn't be enjoying its current renewal, if Capcom was truly "AAA or nuthin".

If BASARA makes a return in the gaming sphere within the next year or two, as well (besides the mobile game, at least), that would only cement my belief that Capcom sees the importance of mid-tier stuff to pad out their usual slew of ports and new titles. Ports, alone, can't be expected to fund their further business ventures, and mobile is still an area that they're trying to find a lasting foothold.

They need stuff that can be relatively cheap to make, but sells well enough, and furthermore, sells even more merchandise. That's Rockman and SB, all over.

Yeah, they just announced this DMC4 x Basara tie in for mobile.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I believe its co-op mode, either on bloody palace, or maybe even across al missions too. But this is almost a given since the game says it supports 2 players on the eshop description.

I would love online co-op (Bayonetta 2's online is still one of my favourite things in an action game) but I worry that descriptor is just referring to Doppelgänger. I hope it's not and is full co-op for bloody palace (I doubt all missions).

I could potentially see them adding Lady as a third playable character using the DMC4SE moveset and just kinda, back-porting it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
not hard to cross these two over when Magoichi already uses moves from Gunslinger and Lady lmao

DMC and SB are basically "sister series", for a reason.

This type of thing was going on since Masamune was able to acquire Alastors (the first time) in Sengoku Basara 2, while Nouhime (Nobunaga's wife) could get Ebony and Ivory and Yukimura could wield two Sparda swords.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love online co-op (Bayonetta 2's online is still one of my favourite things in an action game) but I worry that descriptor is just referring to Doppelgänger. I hope it's not and is full co-op for bloody palace (I doubt all missions).

I could potentially see them adding Lady as a third playable character using the DMC4SE moveset and just kinda, back-porting it.
We believe its co op bloody palace since all other versions of dmc3 se have doppelganger and none of them say they support 2 players.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Without going too much into spoilers, the pipeline is certainly there to have her be integrated in the game.

Though, at this point - they've put more post release effort into DMC3 than any updates to DMC5.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really hope they put in dumb Nintendo costumes like in Bayo. Dumb costumes are my lifeblood.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, easily. Especially when you consider what the next two updates would be. I'd argue the joycons might not be the greatest controller, but most people use a gamepad when docked.

A fair consideration. But I primarily play in handheld, and on the rare occasions when I do dock, I still use the Joy-Cons. The O/G Wii made me fall in love with split controller concepts. Besides, if I could manage to play Celeste and Astral Chain, and crush Hollow Knight, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, and so many more, when playing handheld with attached JCs, I can't imagine they'd bother me when replaying DMC1 or DMC3SE via these recent ports!

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
A fair consideration. But I primarily play in handheld, and on the rare occasions when I do dock, I still use the Joy-Cons. The O/G Wii made me fall in love with split controller concepts. Besides, if I could manage to play Celeste and Astral Chain, and crush Hollow Knight, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, and so many more, when playing handheld with attached JCs, I can't imagine they'd bother me when replaying DMC1 or DMC3SE via these recent ports!

It's mostly down to the shoulder button. Since you have to press and hold R1 a lot to lock-on. If you're good with that you'll be more than fine.

I don't have a Switch yet. But it'll be interesting to see how it feels.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly down to the shoulder button. Since you have to press and hold R1 a lot to lock-on. If you're good with that you'll be more than fine.

I don't have a Switch yet. But it'll be interesting to see how it feels.

I haven't played the trilogy since their PS2 games. It'll be fun to revisit them. Two of them, at least.
More recently, I have played DMC4 (PS3), DmC (PS3), and DmC:DE (PS4).
I need to get on DMC4SE and DMC5 one of these years.

But what I really want is Bayo 3.

Sesha

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
not hard to cross these two over when Magoichi already uses moves from Gunslinger and Lady lmao

It actually goes both ways. They lifted a few of Lady's moves and animations in 4SE straight from Magoichi. Trish and Vergil too, from Kasuga and Kenshin respectively.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It actually goes both ways. They lifted a few of Lady's moves and animations in 4SE straight from Magoichi. Trish and Vergil too, from Kasuga and Kenshin respectively.
and yet Basara still over the kiddy table starving while DMC is eatin' with the grown-ups 😔

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys what if one of the surprise is an unlockable port of the mobile DMC game dmc3 pinacle of combat? I would love to play that game with aproper controller.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
If I only played 1, 4, 5, dmc,
would DMC3 still be fun?

I am assuming 4 and 5 have better and smoother combat system though?