• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that has been putting me off from buying the game is the thoght of crafting and grinding materials. I'd like to hear you opinion about that matter OP.

I certainly can do that.

So the actual act of crafting is really simple. In the escape pod you start off in there is a synthesizer that shows you things you can make and the materials you need to make them. It's just a list split into a few categories, it's greyed out if you don't have the materials to craft it but selectable if you do so it's pretty straight-forward there. The one thing a bit less straight-forward and the game doesn't explain but you sort of figure out is to get more blueprints to your database there's two ways. The first is to just collect materials, when you collect certain type of materials a computer AI who assists you through the game will notice a trait and automatically add a blueprint to your library of something to craft with the material you just discovered. The more common way, and for some more complex things, is using a scanner, which is actually something else you need to craft first. The scanner kind of works like how the scanning system in Metroid Prime is like if you've ever played that; You need to be of a certain distance and looking directly at it while you scan and fill it up to 100%, and when you scan the item/material/creature/whatever gets added to a growing databsse with some information on it in a description and some pictures. The added functionality is scanning certain types of things also contributes to learning certain blueprints. IE, scanning some wrecked vehicles will work towards learning the blueprint to make said vehicles, or scanning a certain type of material may let you know of a special property it has which might unlock a new blueprint. If it's a more complicated thing, after you scan it'll say you're 50% or something to learning a blueprint for it, so just need to find one other example of it, scan that and you get the blueprint. Of note none of the things you need blueprints of are limited in quantity, IE if it says you need to scan 2 of this there isn't JUST two of this in corners of the planet, but there's multiple scattered about, you just need to scan two of them.

Now for grinding most of the time I would say it's fine as materials are kind of everywhere, but then some certain rarer types of materials are in certain biomes far more likely and you need to learn how they work. So the thing I find is hardest to find at first is certain minerals, like Silver/Gold. In my second run I needed a few silver to craft some things but was having difficulty for a while finding silver. Deeper into the run though I found that there are signs in the game of where certain materials are more likely, like a light spoiler but silver and gold are more common both in deeper caves BUT there is an incredibly high chance for example they're in caves that are guarded by these jellyfish looking things because they are attracted to rich mineral deposits (which you can learn either through observation that caves with jellyfish-type things often have good results or scanning them as mentioned).

However, generally following the story events are good for getting rarer materials as the story events often lead you to interesting unique locations with good materials.

More often you may find you have too much of something, except for a few cases where you need more. The only material I had some difficulty finding were minerals until you begin learning more where you might more likely find them, as there's often a sort of environmental clue either from wildlife, plant-life, depth etc., of what might be inside of a cave.

However frankly it's not a bother too much mainly since everything is surprisingly inexpensive. Like most things to craft you'll need like, two copper ore and a fiber (which fiber is just made out of two pieces of kelp which is really easy to get as there's these huge kelp forests pretty near where you start). There's never really a huge number of anything you need to make anything, and often supplies are ind of grouped together, so usually when you find what you need you'll get more than what you need for whatever you want to make so you can store away for later.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that has been putting me off from buying the game is the thoght of crafting and grinding materials. I'd like to hear you opinion about that matter OP.

If you're on PC and grinding materials/food becomes too much on Survival mode, you can open the console and there are cheats like "nocost" which as it suggests lets you build any blueprint you already have for no material cost.

I don't consider it game-breaking or lessening the experience at all, it saved me hours of slowly searching for crafting materials and repeating the same process over and over.

My biggest issue is that there's no item stacking in the inventory. It's annoying to go hunting for resources and have a shitload around you but then you have to leave a shitload behind as your inventory is full or you need to do a 2 kilometre round-trip to a place that has a singular type of material you're after etc. it got old to me after a while, but then I'm impatient as fuck.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to get the game really soon and it's a great write up OP. But be careful about calling something genre defining after 12 hours.

Often think you need to let those ideas sit and dwell on it for some time. Usually after you stop playing. It's easy to get swept up the first couple of days playing something.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing up rightfully disgusting things a creator says and endorses is not "that crap". It's best to actually tell people this is happening than blindly ignore it.

One person on the dev team being a piece of shit already has its own thread, this one is to talk about the actual game.
No one is asking to turn a blind eye to it, it's just that person's personal politics does not belong in this thread.
If you want to talk about that issue go comment in that other way more active thread.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
One more question about the grinding. Is there a weight limit for items you can carry with you (ie: Skyrim) or you can just carry as many things as you want like in minecraft?

Also, thank you so much for taking the time to answer and make such a nice thread.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One more question about the grinding. Is there a weight limit for items you can carry with you (ie: Skyrim) or you can just carry as many things as you want like in minecraft?

Also, thank you so much for taking the time to answer and make such a nice thread.
No weight limit. Instead you have inventory space (some items take multiple slots etc).

Luckily the cycle of the game has you converting the items almost immediately into useful objects and gear, so storage never feels like a huge deal imo.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
If you're on PC and grinding materials/food becomes too much on Survival mode, you can open the console and there are cheats like "nocost" which as it suggests lets you build any blueprint you already have for no material cost.

I don't consider it game-breaking or lessening the experience at all, it saved me hours of slowly searching for crafting materials and repeating the same process over and over.

My biggest issue is that there's no item stacking in the inventory. It's annoying to go hunting for resources and have a shitload around you but then you have to leave a shitload behind as your inventory is full or you need to do a 2 kilometre round-trip to a place that has a singular type of material you're after etc. it got old to me after a while, but then I'm impatient as fuck.

I can be a quite impatient person some times, so my biggest fear is exactly what you described. I've no idea how it gets triggered as I have played and enjoyed some games you could call "slow", like Gone Home or Life is Strange; or got super bored very quick of faster paced games like Fallout 4. I've been following this game since it came out a few days ago, I've read loads about it here in Era, watched videos... And really want to like the game.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

The former, though it's not weight as much as you have a grid inventory and it can fill up. Which does lead to situations of full pockets, though you can drop things wherever on the ocean floor and leave it, then come back days later and it'll all still be there (unless you dropped it near a fish that picks up and carries things, which there's a few of, which might mean it's scattered around the vicinity). You can make additional lockers for cheap that float in a fixed position in the sea though, and some vehicles have additional inventories for storage.

I was thinking of adding it when mentioning it but generally this does lead to "empty my pockets of everything except what I need in storage, then scout out for stuff and return home either when my pockets are full or I got valuable stuff I don't want to lose" <--For the record, when you die there is a random chance you may drop some stuff when you die, the game sets it so you can't drop important crafted items you made but stuff you may have picked up, but that's a chance.

One thing I also should mention is when you start playing there's four modes, I'm talking survival mode right now. But there's also a "easier" mode where certain mechanics and restrictions are removed for a more relaxing time (I don't know the full specifics but I know things like hunger/thirst are removed and some other bits and pieces), there's a perma-death mode where you only have one life, and there's a "relaxing" mode where you can play the game and nothing can hurt you/you can't die and things don't get aggressive on you. I am mentioning this because I've only played the 'default' mode (Survival) and hear some things are lessened in the other modes.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
are the maps procedural or handmap?

I've been told this is like No Man's Sky but underwater with more 'direction' and 'purpose'.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
are the maps procedural or handmap?

I've been told this is like No Man's Sky but underwater with more 'direction' and 'purpose'.

The map is handcrafted, it's not procedural. However there's certain seeds that change certain elements of the map, such as loot, fish, height and number of kelp in the kelp forest, etc.

The map is also pretty big and there's a few potential spawn points on that map you start at is worth mentioning, so between runs you can start at several very different but designed to be 'beginner' points.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I can be a quite impatient person some times, so my biggest fear is exactly what you described. I've no idea how it gets triggered as I have played and enjoyed some games you could call "slow", like Gone Home or Life is Strange; or got super bored very quick of faster paced games like Fallout 4. I've been following this game since it came out a few days ago, I've read loads about it here in Era, watched videos... And really want to like the game.

It's easily the best survival/crafting game I've ever played. The setting, atmosphere and sense of progression are amazing and everything feels organic. You're constantly pushing further away from your safe starting area and finding new upgrades and blueprints so you can craft equipment to go even further and deeper. I never got more than 30 minutes or so into Rust/Don't Starve/The Forest, whereas I've played 20 hours of Subnautica already.

Like Dusk Golem said, there are four different modes you can choose from -

Freedom Mode
To stay alive, the player must manage their health and oxygen levels. If the player runs out of either, they die and lose all of the items in their inventory. The player can return to where they died to reclaim their lost items. The player can "secure" their inventory by entering Lifepod 5, a Seabase, or a Cyclops; if the player dies with a secured inventory, they will keep all the items from the last time their inventory was secured and will respawn in the last place they secured their inventory.

Survival Mode
Similar to Freedom Mode, but the player must also maintain Food & Water levels in addition to health and oxygen. If the player runs out of either food or water, they will begin to lose health until they die.

Hardcore Mode
Similar to Survival Mode, but restricts the player to a single life only; if they die, the game ends, forcing them to completely start over from the beginning. In addition to this, the PDA will not warn the player when they have low levels of oxygen.

Creative Mode
Story, health, oxygen, hunger, and thirst are disabled, materials and Blueprints are not required for crafting, and vehicles and Seabases do not require Energy to operate and cannot be damaged. This is a sandbox mode for players who want to freely explore and build.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Modes

Did you guys play it with a controller, or mouse and keyboard? How are the controls?

I'm playing with an Xbone Elite controller, feels really good.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main thing stopping me from progressing further is the inventory juggling. Maybe it gets better but I find it silly I need to go get the items directly in my inventory when fabricating and it's not able to just pull from my storage. It should at least be able to pull from storage within the same base.

Does anything get better re: the inventory juggling?

louris

Oct 27, 2017
I have been thinking the same thing OP, this might be the game that makes SP survival/story games a bit more popular by example. I certainly want more experiences like it.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Okay fine I'll try it.

How far behind is the Xbox version? Should I wait until official release or is it essentially feature complete now?

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
I beat it a while ago on steam it was fantastic. But now I'm supposed to boycott it due to recent events... so whoops guess I should have did a CIA background check on all people involved before buying it. I find most games if not all have someone or something I don't agree with so I'm going to just go blind and never interact with anything man made again.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reception has been great so far, will check it out once it hits PS4. Might have to wait a while but oh well.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 20 hours in and legit think it'll end up as my GOTY

I'm a little further in, but feel the same way. I mean it's early in the year and who knows how great upcoming games will be, but this is absolutely fantastic. Played 19 hours when I got it this weekend and just couldn't wait to return to it as soon as I woke up the next day. I can't help thinking of modern AAA open world games like Far Cry or similar and how this demonstrates how much those games miss the mark. This it what they could have been, how they could have unfolded an experience naturally and with mystery instead of icon diarrhea leading to repetetive tasks. This is how they could have used the survival aspects to support the mood and feeling of a game, instead of just including crafting and gathering because this is 2018 and that stuff just has to be there.

Don't get me wrong Subnautica is clunky as hell and there's so much you could improve in that regard, but it makes little difference to the end result.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
One on my watch list when I need a new survival game to play!

It's a very good game, but I still prefer Empyrion: Galactic Survival due to the better building options and how vehicles and even capital ships are implemented at the expense of some visual fidelity.

Granted, it's still rougher in some aspects, but it's gripping me more in the long run.

Also hadn't heard about Empyrion, another one to add to my watch list.

Killingmoon

Oct 28, 2017
I had this in my Steam wishlist back when it was still in Early Access but I removed it. Now that it's done, and hearing good reviews, I'm thinking of adding it again, fuck thalassophobia.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here play Endless Ocean Blue World on Wii?
Subnautica always seemed to me like a logical progression of that formula.

Have the devs ever made any comparisons between the two?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really want to start a new game with all the changes that have been added but I really want to do it in VR. However it seems that using the Vive in room scale causes you to be way to high from where your body is supposed to be. I see no way to reset the positioning either. It's unplayable this way.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I started this game with an X360 controller, but ended up switching to M+K. I thought it was quite good with controller, but when I switched, things got much more natural. Both are great, though.

This game is really something special. It's definetely gonna appear pretty high on my goty list this year.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely fantastic game. I was in the middle of Prey (which has also been awesome,) when I picked this up on Xbone. Now it's been hard to go back or play anything else.

Hoping they get some of the frame rate niggles ironed out once it's out of preview. Still, for $20, it's an absolute steal.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an end to the story? How long is it if so?

There is an ending, and I haven't reached it yet. One thing I can share is to progress the story you use the radio, the radio gets a transmission or two every day (a day cycle in this game is something like 20 minutes), some radio calls just give some distress calls from other people, some are more side-quest than anything (but they point you to places to explore), but you occasionally also get main story objectives from it and points you to some hidden but interesting locations.

You can kind of go at the story at your own pac most of the time, so times will greatly vary, especially as there's a lot to do not related to the story.

Anyone here play Endless Ocean Blue World on Wii?
Subnautica always seemed to me like a logical progression of that formula.

Have the devs ever made any comparisons between the two?

No comparisons I know of, but I'd be surprised if they didn't know of it and looked at it (and other oceanic games) when coming up with this project to see what came before.

Absolutely fantastic game. I was in the middle of Prey (which has also been awesome,) when I picked this up on Xbone. Now it's been hard to go back or play anything else.

Hoping they get some of the frame rate niggles ironed out once it's out of preview. Still, for $20, it's an absolute steal.

To my knowledge they are working to upgrade performance both for the PC version and the console versions before they release it. Definitely the biggest flaw with the occasional drop, but the game thankfully doesn't suffer much from it but if they can iron it out more then that'd be fantastic.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Ok, so bought it last night and played 2 hours before going to bed. First impressions:

-The game is amazing. The world is so well made I just want to keep going down and exploring the place. I'm playing with everything on high and it's beautiful. It only stutters a wee bit when jumping from the water to the surface very fast.

-The controls feel really good.

-The game doesn't tell you much, so I'm finding a bit hard to gather all the resources I need. So far I've died twice after being attacked by the fauna. I'm finding a bit hard to gather water (ironically), I guess there is an easier way to get it that I haven't discovered yet.

Quite surprised with the game. Can't wait to put a few more hours into it.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
-The game doesn't tell you much, so I'm finding a bit hard to gather all the resources I need. So far I've died twice after being attacked by the fauna. I'm finding a bit hard to gather water (ironically), I guess there is an easier way to get it that I haven't discovered yet.
Check your fabricator (or just open your crafting tab in the PDA for known recipes) and look which ones are used to produce water. Gives you an idea of what you need to focus on harvesting early on. Food and water become trivial as you progress.

As far as other people's complaints about the limits of base-building, I don't really get that. I mean, from a story perspective, it's not like you landed on the planet with the intention of setting up a Sealab. Your whole goal is getting off the planet. Base-building is already the opposite of that. It seems antithetical to the game's central premise.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm going to watch a let's play of this down the line. No effin' way I'll play the game knowing that there are sharks and that they're just tip of the iceberg. People who are going to use VR sets for this either love the genre or are straight up masochists.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
Early Access for this title was by far the best I've experienced, right up there with Grim Dawn. By far the best survival game I've played.

Anyone holding back due to the racism/sexism drama (that has been resolved) is doing themselves a disservice - it's so worth it.

Really looking forward to the Arctic biome addition and kudos to the Unknown Worlds team!

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have been watching Elajjaz stream this game for a couple of years now and i always liked it.

I dont know if can play it myself though.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I made the mistake of building my first base pretty far from the escape pod so I spent a lot of time just swimming back and forth. I wish there was an "autoswim" feature so I wouldn't have to hold the button down for minutes at a time.

Really awesome game though, I think it being handcrafted rather procedural generated helps out a lot with the atmosphere.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so bought it last night and played 2 hours before going to bed. First impressions:

-The game is amazing. The world is so well made I just want to keep going down and exploring the place. I'm playing with everything on high and it's beautiful. It only stutters a wee bit when jumping from the water to the surface very fast.

-The controls feel really good.

Quite surprised with the game. Can't wait to put a few more hours into it.

I had difficulty with water too until I discovered something, spoilers if you want to figure it out yourself though:

The pink fish that swim around, Bladderfish, are pretty slow to catch and they can be converted into water to refill 20% of your water need. That's how I've been getting by, catch Bladderfish (it helps a lot swim pretty close to your escape pod.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only game I've ever refunded in my life. I didn't even hate it, but it was pricey for how much I was swaying back and forth the first 2 hours, and it just didn't hit the beats I was looking for. Subnautica is certainly more polished than most survival games by a huge margin, but I wasn't into how the crafting was shaping up to be. It was really simple looking, and collecting resources is probably my favorite part in survival games (as dumb as that may sound). I dono, maybe one day I'll try it again but it wasn't my jam.

I will say it had a cool narrative going which I wanted to find out what happened next. When the planet covered up the sun randomly in the skybox and it became night properly, that also was a really nice touch.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Which leads into the next thing; more than ANY other survival game I've played, it is a game about discovery and learning your way. I HIGHLY suggest not looking up a wiki or spoiling the game for yourself and going in as blind as possible. The game avoids doing entirely cryptic shit for progression while also giving you little to no instruction. How you do things in the world are intuitive and make some level of real world sense, or have intuitive designs to make them easy enough to learn and perform if you think of them. It's a game where the discovery is vast, but the crypticness of how to do things isn't a huge barrier to entry. When you first start playing you'll probably die from thirst or hunger, but you quickly begin to learn the lay of the land and from experiences you learn more and more and begin to utilize that knowledge which opens up new possibilities. It has a perfect balance of leaving you to your own devices while making progression more open and intuitive with some good applied real world and in-game logic that's easy to understand and perform when you figure stuff out.

<snip>

And to all of this, this is a game that both does beauty extremely well, as well as terror. The alien ocean is beautiful and full of lush details and countless sights to see, and there's is some serene relaxing elements to the game. However, this is also quite possibly the scariest survival game made yet. And not just in startle scares, it can be legitimately unnerving and terrifying. The game is not combat focused, it has no guns and for a long stretch at the start you'll either have no weapons or a dingy knife, but even the more powerful weapons though good against smaller pests can't reasonably tackle some of the leviathans and nightmares of the deep. Some oceanic forces are nearly unkillable unless you're really talented, and much in the ocean wants to kill you. There is a surprising variety of life in the sea, from peaceful types of types that defend territory, to predators and things much stranger than that. But staring down into a deep sea chasm and seeing something shuffling in the darkness, or lowering yourself into a deep sea cavern and see some shape coming closer to you from the darkness, can be absolutely scary as all hell. It's not a horror game, but some of its scariest moments can rival the best of the horror genre, and it makes sure you're never feeling too safe in the deep.
Great OP, and I agree with most of your points. I don't tend to like survival games as a general rule, I really don't like horror games, and I am legitimately terrified of monsters that dwell in deep water, so I was chalking this up as a game I was going to hate. And I love it. It's just so beautifully done. But I will say that because of my intense hatred of feeling perpetually scared, I've been reading Wikis and watching "Let's Play"s for this, and I think it's improved my enjoyment substantially. I like to have a general idea of where I'm going and what to expect, especially given my mild thalassophobia. I'm still not anxious to run into giant monsters, but I've been much more comfortable with exploring having at least a cursory understanding of what's out there. Obviously if you don't have that same fear, I'd recommend going in blind too; the game does a good job of subtly guiding you along the story without ever feeling like it's telling you explicitly what to do next.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Bought it for my Vive but haven't played it yet. Looking forward to trying it out.

Hoping the show more on the Vive Pro soon. Would be nice to get that along with a new GPU to overhaul my VR experience.