• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't know if there's more than one, but I found it in the

upper level of the Degassi base that's 500m down. The PDAs in the other Degassi based lead you right to it.

Is that the one that
is being guarded by a giant octopus crab monster from hell?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there's more than one, but I found it in the

upper level of the Degassi base that's 500m down. The PDAs in the other Degassi based lead you right to it.
I explored that place, but must have somehow missed a PDA in there. I'll go look again.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A single one ? When I had to visit it, there 3... Constantly EMPing me lol but the base provide shelter... The swin outside was some sport though.

There is the orange tablet in that base too.

I stayed as far away as possible, so I only saw one. I was just looking for nickel, not that horrific bullshit.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Alien Containment blueprint and I haven't gone as deep as 500M yet. I got it just recently, probably from
the wreck I found in one of those biomes with the electric eels and big blue bulbs.
That's the only place I can remember going recently that would have something that seems rare-ish.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe this game isn't more popular here. It's like the game No Man's Sky should have been.

I'm close to the end, loved every minute of it. Like someone mentioned earlier the exploration this game offers is some of the best.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It's like the game No Man's Sky should have been.
That's exactly the thought I had after the first two hours (now I'm at 20+). It continuously provides that sense of wonder that I expected from No Man's Sky (vanilla) and it's just so much fun to explore that world, find new species, build your base, learn more about what's going on etc. And the atmosphere is just so damn good and intense...
Last game that managed to hook me like that was Breath of the Wild, time really flies when playing this game and I just wanna go on and on and on. Can't wait till it's available on consoles, will definitely douple-dip.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't realise you could stack the alien containment tanks, I have put them in separate rooms. Going to deconstruct them all later and just have a stack instead.

Performance has gotten much worse for me, so bad j dropped the resolution down to 1080, but it has had no effect, something is wrong somewhere and this is a pretty new installation of Win 10 and it can't be hardware as everything else runs fine at 4K. Tempted to backup my save and reinstall Windows again because it is hampering my enjoyment so much. It's a shame because the game is one of the best I have played in years.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game tonight, and as much as I loved the atmosphere, the last stretch felt a bit like homework. I might expound on my thoughts in the next day or two, especially re: EA games

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Didn't realise you could stack the alien containment tanks, I have put them in separate rooms. Going to deconstruct them all later and just have a stack instead.

Performance has gotten much worse for me, so bad j dropped the resolution down to 1080, but it has had no effect, something is wrong somewhere and this is a pretty new installation of Win 10 and it can't be hardware as everything else runs fine at 4K. Tempted to backup my save and reinstall Windows again because it is hampering my enjoyment so much. It's a shame because the game is one of the best I have played in years.

The more stuff you create, the worse the game will perform because it has to create and save a new entity instance each time and that means bigger saves and more memory usage. That said, performance shouldn't have degraded that significantly unless you've built a ton of stuff or left a lot of stuff lying around.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Era! How did I miss this OT?

I am playing on Xbox and having a great time, one of the few games I can play with my 3 year old running around. Anyway, I've just been exploring and picking up PDAs without realizing the story no longer comes through the radio. Been wondering why that darn radio has been silent recently. No idea how far I've progressed but I feel pretty far.

I have a basic base, seamoth and fully exploded and
repaired the reactor on the crashed ship

I've found all the PDAs that are currently known to me. Not sure what to do other than just keep exploring.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I was having such a frustrating time with my base last night. I was out on a reconnaissance mission where I FINALLY found a wreck that had the grapple arm for the Prawn suit. I get back to my base, which has a hull integrity of +25 or so, and the thing is flooded. I was confused, so I started putting in bulkheads and adding hull reinforcement. I'd close bulkhead doors, I'd get the message about draining procedure initiated, and half my base would be clear, but half of it remained completely submerged. I went out and harvested lithium so I could put hull reinforcement everywhere, up past 80+ hull integrity. I swam around the entire outside with the repair tool looking for leaks. Nothing.

So, it turns out that leaks don't show on the outside of your base; you can only see them from inside. And if you have any leaks, your base will flood until they're repaired. So apparently something came along and damaged my scanner room, which developed leaks that I could not find, and it submerged everything. Took me nearly an hour to figure this out. On the plus side, not only do I have a Prawn suit with a grapple arm now, I also have a base that I can expand without worrying about hull integrity ever again.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017

I am playing on Xbox and having a great time, one of the few games I can play with my 3 year old running around. Anyway, I've just been exploring and picking up PDAs without realizing the story no longer comes through the radio. Been wondering why that darn radio has been silent recently. No idea how far I've progressed but I feel pretty far.

I've found all the PDAs that are currently known to me. Not sure what to do other than just keep exploring.

Go deeper.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, go deeper. You'll have to go deeper to get resources to built depth mods on advanced vehicules and by doing so you'll find new points of interest, new biomes etc...

Just keep exploring and going deeper

I love how in Dark Souls the mantra is " get good " and we all hate it know but in Subnautica its this simple and yet almost counter intuitive thing : Go deeper. But we arent supposed to go deeper ! It's dark and dangerous for a human to go deeper ! Go deeper. The game rewards exploration and curiosity but punishes the one diving unprepared.

Spectone

Make sure you explore both islands

Another human ship landed here before you. They have a base on land and two under the water.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If I ate all of the melons and potatoes in the growbeds on the floating island, will they ever come back, or can I find them somewhere else (no specifics please), or can i just never get those now?

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I ate all of the melons and potatoes in the growbeds on the floating island, will they ever come back, or can I find them somewhere else (no specifics please), or can i just never get those now?

No idea, but if not you could always use the console to spawn some more. I know it's not an ideal solution and considered cheating, but you shouldn't have been so greedy lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
They're gone. You can spawn a single one via console and start growing more. There are also lots of lantern trees on the floating island which produce edible fruit. If your only concern is having something growing you can eat, those will work fine.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
So ive hit another roadblock and quite pissed. Invested so much time into fetching resources for Cyclops and depth module MK2. And now turns put its pretty much shit. Whenever I go anywhere that fits the cyclops and has 1000m and deeper area, i always get attacked and eventually destroyed/killed by huge blue wormfish.

And the goddamn Kyanite appearantly only grows in the lava area and in big resource batches so i can grind once again 3653h for prawn suite and drill arm and depth upgrades. Its just too much damn resource grind and not enough adventure.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
So ive hit another roadblock and quite pissed. Invested so much time into fetching resources for Cyclops and depth module MK2. And now turns put its pretty much shit. Whenever I go anywhere that fits the cyclops and has 1000m and deeper area, i always get attacked and eventually destroyed/killed by huge blue wormfish.

And the goddamn Kyanite appearantly only grows in the lava area and in big resource batches so i can grind once again 3653h for prawn suite and drill arm and depth upgrades. Its just too much damn resource grind and not enough adventure.

where are you taking your Cyclops ?

You cant go in the dead zone, it's the border of the game. The giant ghost leviathan will attack you to make sure you have to go back.

You have a few upgrades for the cyclops to be defensive : the Decoy launcher onboard, the shield generator...

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I ever felt like I was grinding for resources. Even the biggest stuff in the game only requires a smallish amount of each item. The only thing you need in large amounts for a single item is titanium, and that shit is everywhere.

In related news, I suggest making a scanner with four range upgrades. I had an incredibly useful setup in the Lost River (you can find all sorts of stuff down there). The scanner doesn't even need to be part of your main base. Just tie it to a bio-reactor with gel sacs for fuel. They're efficient as hell and they're easily grown.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Like others suggested, it sounds like you're hitting the edge of the map. There are the huge Ghost Leviathans to make you turn back. There was also that one message from a data box or PDA that basically explained that those things spawn at the edge of the map to keep you from going past.

What you're looking for is a cave/hole to go down further.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I ever felt like I was grinding for resources. Even the biggest stuff in the game only requires a smallish amount of each item. The only thing you need in large amounts for a single item is titanium, and that shit is everywhere.

In related news, I suggest making a scanner with four range upgrades. I had an incredibly useful setup in the Lost River (you can find all sorts of stuff down there). The scanner doesn't even need to be part of your main base. Just tie it to a bio-reactor with gel sacs for fuel. They're efficient as hell and they're easily grown.

They stack ? Every other upgrade in the game says it doesnt but this one does ?

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They stack ? Every other upgrade in the game says it doesnt but this one does ?

According to the wiki they do. You can increase the range to 500m.

I just built a base in the lost river myself, so I will try this. Been down to the lava biome and made the final depth upgrades to the Cyclops and prawn suit, but not sure what to do next. Guess I will keep exploring, I just wish the seamoth had more depth, it's just the most fun to explore in.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

I just built a base in the lost river myself, so I will try this. Been down to the lava biome and made the final depth upgrades to the Cyclops and prawn suit, but not sure what to do next. Guess I will keep exploring, I just wish the seamoth had more depth, it's just the most fun to explore in.

I'm going to try to scan for a material out of reach of my base then stack the range upgrades and see if it gets any, give me a few minutes to try it

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Finally made Cyclops.

Construction instructions unclear. Cyclops stuck.
6miqAxq.jpg

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made Cyclops.

Construction instructions unclear. Cyclops stuck.

RIP

If you haven't already, you can try to move it out. You might be able to move the cameras and wiggle it around, but I can't see what's below the surface of the water to move it around. It should have told you you need a bigger space to build it. When I made mine, it said I needed a bigger space, so I moved the mobile vehicle platform and made it and it worked. I guess if all else fails you can just build another, as much as it sucks to have wasted the resources on it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

After testing i'm pretty confident saying that stacking range upgrade on the scanner room doesnt work. I can't scan anything past 500 meters, with one or 4 upgrades.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, same. The amounts of each resource needed to build stuff is low enough to where the game is basically locking you out of things based on whether you've explored certain biomes much at all, rather than whether you've grinded for the material. The test is exploring new areas until you find it, or figuring out how to find it from data logs and shit, not swimming around for a long time just collecting things.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, same. The amounts of each resource needed to build stuff is low enough to where the game effectively locks you out of things based on whether you've explored certain biomes much at all, rather than whether you've grinded for the material. The test is exploring new areas until you find it, or figuring out how to find it from data logs and shit, not swimming around for a long time just collecting things.
The only grinding I've felt like the game has had so far is getting food and water. Water becomes less of a problem as you get the water purifier, but the food, you have those moments of "Whelp, better go collect more salt n' peepers.", and it's an annoying process.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The only grinding I've felt like the game has had so far is getting food and water. Water becomes less of a problem as you get the water purifier, but the food, you have those moments of "Whelp, better go collect more salt n' peepers.", and it's an annoying process.
Food is completely trivial as soon as you get the knife upgrade. I haven't had stored food in a long time. Water is pretty easy to get before the purifier too, as just 5 pieces of salt and slapping a coral tube around a few times gets you 300 water.

Copper is one of the few resources that you might "grind" for, since you can get unlucky and you need quite a lot of it. Silver is also usually in relatively short supply, but that's only until you figure out where to find it.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017

That's why I am playing on freedom, still have to collect resources but not worry about food and water. I know it's not the true way to play but do happy they included that mode as I can never get into true survival games

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I just built a grow bed on the Cyclops and filled it with Chinese Potatoes I think they were called. That and a couple of water purifiers in my main base meant I didn't need to worry about food or water.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I just built a grow bed on the Cyclops and filled it with Chinese Potatoes I think they were called. That and a couple of water purifiers in my main base meant I didn't need to worry about food or water.
You only need one water purifier. Take the salt it makes, combine it with a coral sample to make bleach and you've got two filtered waters. One filtration machine will net you 2 large waters and 4 midsize waters in less than a day, which is more than enough.

The only place I've struggled with food or water is the very end of the game because I failed to plan ahead and bring everything I needed for a long excursion away from my base or sub and I wasn't about to do a bunch of repetitive backtracking past some specific creatures. I cheated myself some water via console. But yeah, as long as you put any thought into it at all, food and water become quite trivial.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use all of the leftover salt from the purifier to cure fish. I trash most of it, I'm fucking drowning in the stuff.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Couple questions for those that know. My seamoth that had the MK1 depth module got destroyed and I can't seem to find or make one. Will it respawn in the aurora or am I screwed? I thought I read you can make them but I only have options for the MK2 and on.

Second, I have a bunch of random cyclops parts but still can't build the damn thing and it's frustrating. Is there a sure fire location that has all the cyclops parts? I'm 20 hours in and still haven't gone deeper than 2-300 meters :-(

Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Couple questions for those that know. My seamoth that had the MK1 depth module got destroyed and I can't seem to find or make one. Will it respawn in the aurora or am I screwed? I thought I read you can make them but I only have options for the MK2 and on.

Second, I have a bunch of random cyclops parts but still can't build the damn thing and it's frustrating. Is there a sure fire location that has all the cyclops parts? I'm 20 hours in and still haven't gone deeper than 2-300 meters :-(

Thanks in advance.
At the stage of the game you're in now, you need to be looking for big wrecks. They usually have some Cyclops pieces around them, and they'll have lots of other useful tech that you're going to need to progress further. There's no single wreck that has all 9 Cyclops pieces, no, but stick to the sea floor as you make your way around and you can stumble upon them fairly easily. You should be able to craft the Seamoth Depth Module Mk 1 now that you've collected it; you need to build a moonpool and a vehicle upgrade console in order to do that (and then a Modification Station to upgrade it to Mk 2 and such).

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Oh the moon pool! I have the modification station and I saw some vehicle upgrades in there so I thought I was good, but I remember hearing about the moon pool being needed for vehicle upgrades before, totally slipped my mind. Thanks for that, and I'll keep on searching for those damn cyclops parts. Last question on that; am I more likely to find those parts in deeper +300 meter wrecks, or should the depth not matter and it's just case of searching everywhere?

Edit: sorry meant to quote you on my reply.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
At the stage of the game you're in now, you need to be looking for big wrecks. They usually have some Cyclops pieces around them, and they'll have lots of other useful tech that you're going to need to progress further. There's no single wreck that has all 9 Cyclops pieces, no, but stick to the sea floor as you make your way around and you can stumble upon them fairly easily. You should be able to craft the Seamoth Depth Module Mk 1 now that you've collected it; you need to build a moonpool and a vehicle upgrade console in order to do that (and then a Modification Station to upgrade it to Mk 2 and such).

I'll add that you should check these wreck in details. Look for holes to get inside, look for doors you can laser cut, doors you can open, vents you can enter to get inside further... these wrecks are gold mines.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh the moon pool! I have the modification station and I saw some vehicle upgrades in there so I thought I was good, but I remember hearing about the moon pool being needed for vehicle upgrades before, totally slipped my mind. Thanks for that, and I'll keep on searching for those damn cyclops parts. Last question on that; am I more likely to find those parts in deeper +300 meter wrecks, or should the depth not matter and it's just case of searching everywhere?

It took me a while as well to get all of the pieces. I had the MK2 depth module for the Moth a long time before I had the ability to even craft the Cyclops.

Have you been to the Aurora yet? There's a good upgrade for the Cyclops there and I'm not sure but I think I found some parts for it around there also.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It took me a while as well to get all of the pieces. I had the MK2 depth module for the Moth a long time before I had the ability to even craft the Cyclops.

Have you been to the Aurora yet? There's a good upgrade for the Cyclops there and I'm not sure but I think I found some parts for it around there also.

Yeah been all through that and have a few upgrades for it and the prawn suit now so just need to get the darn vehicle lol. But that makes me feel better to hear though. Thanks again and the search continues!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I'll add that you should check these wreck in details. Look for holes to get inside, look for doors you can laser cut, doors you can open, vents you can enter to get inside further... these wrecks are gold mines.

Yeah that's definitely something I've been doing. Problem I have is keeping track of ones I've been through already lol. Wasted some time on that a few times, thinking I found a new wreck and nope! Thanks again to the both of you. Loving this game so far!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah that's definitely something I've been doing. Problem I have is keeping track of ones I've been through already lol. Wasted some time on that a few times, thinking I found a new wreck and nope! Thanks again to the both of you. Loving this game so far!

Make some beacons, they are cheap in resources to make and I always have 4 or 5 on my Moth at all times. You can just turn them on or off from the menu if your view is starting to get cluttered.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I'm pretty sure you can find everything for the Cyclops at 200 meters and up, since I had everything for it before upgrading my Seamoth. You definitely can find everything for it above 300 meters. Also, none of the Cyclops base pieces will be in the wrecks themselves; they'll be on the seafloor surrounding wrecks. You should still go in the wrecks because there's a lot of other tech and Prawn suit modules that you can find in there, but the specific sets of pieces for the Cyclops are outside the wrecks themselves. You can also find them in random spots on the seafloor, which is why I recommend sticking to the seafloor as you explore around. I know I found a bridge piece and an engine piece in the transition area between the grassy plateau and the mushroom forest to the Northwest of my lifepod just on the floor next to absolutely nothing at all.