• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Game has a huge bug right now in 1.0 on consoles which decreases the spawn of fish and materials to 10%.

Developer:
Hey everyone. We're aware of this issue - it's affecting some Xbox users (not PS4 or PC). We're putting together a patch to fix the problem and submitting to Microsoft today. Hopefully it wont take long to get it out there. Sorry for this - it's our first console release and we're doing our best to address issues that are coming up as quick as we can.

But PS4 players are also reporting to have it, so not sure if it's only Xbox right now.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe that's why I can't find any lead. I guess I'll leave it for a week or so. Shame.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Yes i just deleted the preview and downloaded the new game to be sure. Gonna check it out tonight

Edit .. or not based in the report of bug
I'm sure it's been updated, despite the tag. The easy way to check other than the build number is if you now have an achievements list for it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Oh, or better don't start yet. Tap In The developer answered me on my question if current savegames with the problem will get fixed too. Nope.

Developer:
When the fix drops, likely you will need a new save game, if you have already got the problem. If you did not have the problem, then the fix will keep things swimming along.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So gutted by these technical issues. I really like the game, and I've had horrible gaming luck this year. And I even need to restart it when they patch it? Such bullshit.

And what do they mean it's their first console game? It's been in preview on Xbox for two and a half years. They make it sound like this launched out the blue today.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Been playing this for two hours on PS4 Pro and once again Panic Button delivers. Haven't run into any issues so far, with one exception: Every tenth time or so when resurfacing the game will stall for one second before you can look around above the water surface. Other than that the framerate looks really smooth and I haven't encountered any other bugs or glitches during my session, even better experience than on my PC at the beginning of the year as I recall it.

Overall the game looks and sounds stunning and it really has cast its spell all over me again. Easily one of the very best games of the year, I really have to pull myself together or I'll spend the whole night with this...

Buy. This. Game. People.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Really impressed with this game, playing on PS4 Pro. When should I head towards the crashed ship?
Whenever you feel ready to, as far as having enough food, water, tools, and spare batteries for a long trip. You also need the radiation protection suit/helmet of course

One tool in particular that you'll need is the
propulsion cannon

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought it was necessary for moving some things blocking the path through the ship

Aw, man, it's been a while since I played the game. You're absolutely correct. It is needed to get into the wreck. I was thinking about the
repulsion cannon
Sorry, it's my bad. Didn't mean to mislead.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Just got the game on PS4 Pro and played about an hour ...Couple gripes so far.

Is there some input lag of some sort? trying to catch fish is waaaayyyy harder than it should be. I remember watching Cohhcarnage play it and he seemed like he had a much easier time ... I'm guessing its a lot more easier using the mouse ... But I feel like there should be a larger window involved in being able to catch fish. Same for picking up things, it doesnt feel snappy at all and feels like I need to have the crosshair deadcenter before i can pick something up.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017

Is there some input lag of some sort? trying to catch fish is waaaayyyy harder than it should be. I remember watching Cohhcarnage play it and he seemed like he had a much easier time ... I'm guessing its a lot more easier using the mouse ... But I feel like there should be a larger window involved in being able to catch fish. Same for picking up things, it doesnt feel snappy at all and feels like I need to have the crosshair deadcenter before i can pick something up.

Same problem here, but otherwise this game is really terrific.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Are there any tips for organizing your quick item inventory? everything feels like I have to have it on random and its really hard to switch between glider/scanner/torch etc and i cant seem to select what items it is that i actually want in my quickbar menu.

I've also mapped my use/pick up button to L1 and this has made catching fish a bit easier so i never take off my buttons off the analogs and this has made catching fish easier

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for the last couple of hours. It's kind of fun, but I find myself wishing it had some guided structure. I'm not a huge fan of being dropped into a sandbox with no idea what to do, but I know that's exactly what a lot of people want from a game like this. This game is also making me want to get back into NMS, which I haven't played since launch.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for the last couple of hours. It's kind of fun, but I find myself wishing it had some guided structure. I'm not a huge fan of being dropped into a sandbox with no idea what to do, but I know that's exactly what a lot of people want from a game like this. This game is also making me want to get back into NMS, which I haven't played since launch.
it's not immediately obvious, but this does exist in the game. if you poke around for a while, you'll stumble across certain items that will trigger a 'main' questline. there's a fairly comprehensive wiki that can point you in the right direction if you want to get right to it

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hey guys just curious, i feel like i'm pretty far along but may be missing something

i've made a base, built the scanner room, and have a lot of tools including the propulsion cannon as well as the seaglide and seamoth. i made it to the big wreck (couldn't do much since my seamoth got eaten) and found a floating island.

i have to ask, is there a compass blueprint somewhere? i've seen references to cardinal directions in discussions of the game but there's nothing denoting them in the UI and i haven't found anything referencing it in game. i feel like it should definitely be there since it would make a few things a lot easier.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
So if I just never repair the radio in Lifepod 5, can I still find the other sunken lifepods even without their radio message?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys just curious, i feel like i'm pretty far along but may be missing something

i've made a base, built the scanner room, and have a lot of tools including the propulsion cannon as well as the seaglide and seamoth. i made it to the big wreck (couldn't do much since my seamoth got eaten) and found a floating island.

i have to ask, is there a compass blueprint somewhere? i've seen references to cardinal directions in discussions of the game but there's nothing denoting them in the UI and i haven't found anything referencing it in game. i feel like it should definitely be there since it would make a few things a lot easier.
Yes, I don't remember where though.

So if I just never repair the radio in Lifepod 5, can I still find the other sunken lifepods even without their radio message?
I dunno about before you repair the radio in Lifepod 5, but I've found lifepods that hadn't been pointed out to me yet, so I'd assume so.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Usually I'd agree with you; dropping into a game that doesn't tell you exactly what to do can be super confusing. But I really like how Subnautica did it. When I first started off, I died pretty quick because I didn't realize food and water were a thing. OK, now I know that's something I need to focus on. I start exploring more just to gather resources and figure, I need to make my way back to the ship. The story quickly moves to encourage this. Then I get a prompt telling me to go to a location; certain things occur and a story starts unfolding that guides (very indirectly) me from location to location chasing clues. It all feels very natural and it ends up having an interesting story told in an organic way that I ended up really appreciating. I think if it had more hand-holding, it actually would have weakened the feeling of progression the game gives you.

That said, I don't think you really spoil too much for yourself by looking up walkthroughs or watching someone do a let's play on YouTube or whatever. Especially if you're scared of sea monsters like I am. Fuck that, I want to know what I might see before it pops out and I shit myself.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Make sure you repair the radio in your lifepod. That's where a lot of the guidance in the game comes through

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
So, I'm about to explore the Aurora in Subnautica. What supplies are essential for those wanting to power their way through this process? I have just about every essential I can think of: fire extinguisher, scanner, powerglide, flashlight, knife, repair tool, laser cutter, and propulsion cannon.

Because inventory space is tight, I'd like to know if I'll need to bring extra batteries, cured food, bottled water. I the case of the propulsion cannon, I've noticed that using it eats up a lot of power.

Will this be the type of place where I'll need to make numerous trips?
In my experience there's quite a few batteries strewn about, so no need to bring too many along. Food and water are definitely good to have though, the place is pretty big. There's also no immediate reason to lug the seaglide around unless it's your only transport and leaving it at the entrance is a problem.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there's definitely more. Not 100% sure it's gated by the Aurora repair, but there is more

There's also another trail of story that goes through datapads that you find, but you likely haven't gotten to any of those yet

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
None of the radio transmissions are flagged by the aurora. They all have to do with entering biomes and/or crafting parts of a seabase or an item.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bought the game yesterday after getting some videos recommended on youtube. I just couldn't wait for a sale. but boy, I should have!

the grabbing fish thing is way too hard with a controller, I'm basically mashing the X button while awkwardly move the right stick with my index finger. I almost drowned because I was so focused on grabbing one(!) fish.

got the plans to build a sea moth and went on a little journey. if you get to a new area (biome?) gotta stop and wait 10-20 seconds for it to load. and hope you're not inside a rock once it does!

I know the game's been on xbox while in EA, do you guys experience the same problems? I do love the game in theory (and of what I've seen in streams/videos, etc.) but that console port is absolute trash at the moment.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I've been playing the game for about 8 hours, the game takes like 20-30 hrs to finish the story right? I'm searching for the Lifepod4, I am still at the beggining right?

I think what holds my progress is that I'm too coward to dive further lol some biomes are way too scary, I hate looking down and not seeing the floor, it gets into my nerves.

But I want to overcome that, I had the same feeling with Alien Isolation, and managed to finish the game. So I want that too here, any advice? I actually don't even know If I should go deeper at this point in the story (also, that's what I mainly want, finish the story)

Besides that, I'm enjoying the exploring and grinding.

By the way, is it normal on PC that the audio goes off when getting out of the water? I have to dive and resurface again to get the audio working normal again

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit. Big ass monster attacked me and my sub. I escape by swimming but I get killed. Then I try to swim back 800m to my sub. After 500m the beacon dissapears which probably meant the sub got destroyed by the fucker. Reloaded now and lost 33min of aurora search progress...

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
WOW, what a terrific game! I'm about 19 hours into it. I think they really got a lot right with this one as far as survival aspects go....

• Loving the fact that there is not really any "combat". I mean, there are ways to kill things if you really want. But its mostly about just planning and avoiding where hostile creatures are.
  • It's just structured enough that you can do what you want, but it's not as aimless as many other survival games. I feel like there is a story and objectives that need to be pursued.
    And when I found that first alien base which turned out to be a canon and it shot down those poor SOB's coming to rescue me... and then discovered that the aliens have a portal system that you can power with their tech... what a reveal!
  • The food/water system... this feels just about right. Much better than other games where it feels like you have to eat or drink every 5 minutes. I feel like I can do a lot of exploring, and if I bring a food bar and 1-2 waters with me, I'm good for a couple of hours real time.
  • I can say the same thing about the power systems for the vehicles, the Seamoth for example that battery charge lasts quite a long time, I've actually never had it run out before I needed to return to base for having my inventory full. And you can carry spare batteries with you anyway.
  • Speaking of vehicles... THE CYCLOPS. This really feels good to pilot, and I must admit I have a serious thing for vehicles which can hold auxiliary craft. When I saw that this had a vehicle bay in which I could dock the Seamoth, I was blown away. Put a fabricator and a locker there to make some food and water, and this is the perfect mobile base! As an added bonus, the computer voice features a rare male implementation, it sounds really good. Reminds me of Dargos ship in Farscape, the only other time I can recall a computer being a distinctly non-female voice.This might be my favorite in game vehicle I've had in any game.
I don't have it on console, I picked it up for free on PC from the Epic Game Store. I didn't think I would ever play it, but I'm sure glad I gave it a try! It put the upcoming stand-alone expansion (Below Zero, https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero/) on my radar bigtime.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
WOW, what a terrific game! I'm about 19 hours into it. I think they really got a lot right with this one as far as survival aspects go....

• Loving the fact that there is not really any "combat". I mean, there are ways to kill things if you really want. But its mostly about just planning and avoiding where hostile creatures are.
  • It's just structured enough that you can do what you want, but it's not as aimless as many other survival games. I feel like there is a story and objectives that need to be pursued.
    And when I found that first alien base which turned out to be a canon and it shot down those poor SOB's coming to rescue me... and then discovered that the aliens have a portal system that you can power with their tech... what a reveal!
  • The food/water system... this feels just about right. Much better than other games where it feels like you have to eat or drink every 5 minutes. I feel like I can do a lot of exploring, and if I bring a food bar and 1-2 waters with me, I'm good for a couple of hours real time.
  • I can say the same thing about the power systems for the vehicles, the Seamoth for example that battery charge lasts quite a long time, I've actually never had it run out before I needed to return to base for having my inventory full. And you can carry spare batteries with you anyway.
  • Speaking of vehicles... THE CYCLOPS. This really feels good to pilot, and I must admit I have a serious thing for vehicles which can hold auxiliary craft. When I saw that this had a vehicle bay in which I could dock the Seamoth, I was blown away. Put a fabricator and a locker there to make some food and water, and this is the perfect mobile base! As an added bonus, the computer voice features a rare male implementation, it sounds really good. Reminds me of Dargos ship in Farscape, the only other time I can recall a computer being a distinctly non-female voice.This might be my favorite in game vehicle I've had in any game.
I don't have it on console, I picked it up for free on PC from the Epic Game Store. I didn't think I would ever play it, but I'm sure glad I gave it a try! It put the upcoming stand-alone expansion (Below Zero, https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero/) on my radar bigtime.

It's my game of the year for 2018. An incredible experience. Glad you're enjoying it.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
It's a fantastic game. My only gripe with it was that I couldn't deactivate the beacons on the hud, it totally removed the "claustrophobic" feeling you have early game when you have zero notion of where you are and what's below you.

I can't wait for the stand alone expansion.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic game. My only gripe with it was that I couldn't deactivate the beacons on the hud, it totally removed the "claustrophobic" feeling you have early game when you have zero notion of where you are and what's below you.

I can't wait for the stand alone expansion.

But you can. It's in the third tab of the menu (titled "Beacon Manager"), just click on the eye icon next to the beacon you want to deactivate or reactivate. You can change their colors from there too.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
What I mean is a toggle, to just turn all these kind of information on and off easily when you just want to explore or something. From what I remember there was no easy way to do it without deactivating the whole hud.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is a toggle, to just turn all these kind of information on and off easily when you just want to explore or something. From what I remember there was no easy way to do it without deactivating the whole hud.

i'm not sure what you're referring to if you're not talking about beacons. the survival hud elements like health and thirst

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the PS4 port any good? Just came out here in Sweden after being delayed a month
it's "playable".

I'm making progress just fine, but the slow downs and 1 minute pop-ups do make it less fun. (although, I admit I used that to my advantage by just swimming to my destination and let the world render in, once I was there).

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you quickly deactivate them all on the push of a button? That's what I'm talking about. A quick toggle.
deactivate beacons or hud elements? if it's the former, you can toggle them on or off individually. i never had more than a few beacons up at a time, so i never had a need to mass toggle them on or off. i believe the beacons for the lifepods/various story elements should turn off automatically, so if they're staying on i can see how that might get overwhelming/cluttered, but it's been a while so i'm not completely sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been playing the game for about 8 hours, the game takes like 20-30 hrs to finish the story right? I'm searching for the Lifepod4, I am still at the beggining right?

I think what holds my progress is that I'm too coward to dive further lol some biomes are way too scary, I hate looking down and not seeing the floor, it gets into my nerves.

But I want to overcome that, I had the same feeling with Alien Isolation, and managed to finish the game. So I want that too here, any advice? I actually don't even know If I should go deeper at this point in the story (also, that's what I mainly want, finish the story)

Besides that, I'm enjoying the exploring and grinding.

By the way, is it normal on PC that the audio goes off when getting out of the water? I have to dive and resurface again to get the audio working normal again
Don't know if you've progressed since this post, but as far as exploration, I completely agree. I'm terrified of open water in real life, and this game compounds it by including a lot of giant aggressive things. My recommendation is to stick to the floor (then you won't worry about not seeing it) and go from reasonably friendly zones downwards. So there's obviously the safe shallows. The kelp forests aren't bad, but visibility sucks in them, so I tend to avoid them. The grassy plateaus (where the red grass is, along with the reefbacks) are basically safe outside of the sand sharks, and they really don't do much damage. So follow the floor along the grassy plateau west to find the entrance to the mushroom forest, and just keep to the seabed as you descend; makes things much less scary. Also, since there is no map, you should be placing beacons everywhere (and giving them descriptive names). When you do this in conjunction with using the largest submarine, it ends up feeling like Hunt for Red October; OK, we've passed that marker, now on to the next one, and so on.

Also, and this isn't for everybody, but I definitely looked at some Let's Plays before entering new zones just to see if I was going to be confronted with something that would literally make me shit myself (I cannot honestly express just how fucking terrified I am of ocean monsters; that I saw my way through to completing this game is testament to how much I enjoyed it).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Don't know if you've progressed since this post, but as far as exploration, I completely agree. I'm terrified of open water in real life, and this game compounds it by including a lot of giant aggressive things. My recommendation is to stick to the floor (then you won't worry about not seeing it) and go from reasonably friendly zones downwards. So there's obviously the safe shallows. The kelp forests aren't bad, but visibility sucks in them, so I tend to avoid them. The grassy plateaus (where the red grass is, along with the reefbacks) are basically safe outside of the sand sharks, and they really don't do much damage. So follow the floor along the grassy plateau west to find the entrance to the mushroom forest, and just keep to the seabed as you descend; makes things much less scary. Also, since there is no map, you should be placing beacons everywhere (and giving them descriptive names). When you do this in conjunction with using the largest submarine, it ends up feeling like Hunt for Red October; OK, we've passed that marker, now on to the next one, and so on.

Also, and this isn't for everybody, but I definitely looked at some Let's Plays before entering new zones just to see if I was going to be confronted with something that would literally make me shit myself (I cannot honestly express just how fucking terrified I am of ocean monsters; that I saw my way through to completing this game is testament to how much I enjoyed it).

I have progressed, I'm 23 hours in already lol

I have managed to advance a bit in the story and now I'm about to venter in more than 250-300m deep to find some pods

I did exactly that, putting some beacons to orientate myself, and also using scanner rooms for that (I have good memory to tell which camera is where)

Some questions about story, possible spoiler

I already went to the Lifepod that was around those electric snakes, and I'm about to go find Lifepod 7 and Officer Keen's pod, how far I'm from the "end" of the story?

Also, I found the first time capsule, it had Nº9 and it was quite interesting, are these central to the story or rather "sidequesty" stuff?
:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Some questions about story, possible spoiler

I already went to the Lifepod that was around those electric snakes, and I'm about to go find Lifepod 7 and Officer Keen's pod, how far I'm from the "end" of the story?

Also, I found the first time capsule, it had Nº9 and it was quite interesting, are these central to the story or rather "sidequesty" stuff?
:
If lifepods are the only story interaction you've had, then you're pretty far from the end

Time capsules are things left by other players. When you reach a certain point you can design your own time capsule, and they get voted on by the community to determine which ones make it into people's games