• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have mild thalassophobia (sea is big and dark and we don't know what the fuck is lurking down there) so this game could potentially be my horror game of the year 2018.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't played this game yet just because of the thalassophobia I have. Even some of the screenshots and GIFs I've seen have freaked me out. It looks super interesting though.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have mild thalassophobia (sea is big and dark and we don't know what the fuck is lurking down there) so this game could potentially be my horror game of the year 2018.

Same, and I still tried it because strange marine life intrigues me.
I even chose the "free moe" where nothing attacks you and I forced myself to keep swimming deeper. It was pretty unsettling the entire time.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
This game was absolutely incredible when I played more than a year ago, I can only imagine how much better it is now. Planning to start again soon.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to change what the Scanning Room scans for? Because I really cant figure out how..

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
For those wondering about PS4 version:

I got thalassophobia so I won't be buying this game but it looks very good!

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'mmamake a review thread. The game's doing well on Steam but it's always been kind of invisible on GAF and Era.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Why have I never heard of this game before? This looks and sounds amazing. I think I might have the opposite thalassophobia because I love swimming in the ocean and looking for scary sea monsters sounds like a dream to me.

Dec 20, 2017
This game has legitimately scared me more times than any other game. That's tough to do since it's not like we're talking jump scares, just the entire game is unsettling.

Until I got my pre-destroyable cyclops. Haven't touched since that update. To scared of my cyclops getting gibbed.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I made the right choice with Survival mode. I don't really want to be chasing down fish to eat and drink all the time, I'm only ~30 minutes or so in though so I might restart.

Right? I don't know why it gets so little traction here. It was a very successful Early Access title. SteamSpy has it approaching two million!

There's a lot of ignorance and bitterness on this forum surrounding Early Access titles, just look at all the salt directed at PUBG for being super successful.

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I made the right choice with Survival mode. I don't really want to be chasing down fish to eat and drink all the time, I'm only ~30 minutes or so in though so I might restart.
I started with adventure mode but I kept feeling that I was missing out so I tried survival for a while. I found that the timers are pretty generous and it adds a nice layer of complexity when planning expeditions since (A) prey levels vary by biome and (B) it's possible to (temporarily) deplete an area of prey. You also get technologies to help with the meters.

Any hints about a Switch version? or is this exclusive to XboxOne/PC?

A PS4 version may be released but I seriously doubt we'll see a Switch version. This is already going above and beyond what Unity can usually handle.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best survival games ever.

I stopped playing it in early access because I knew it was something special.

The sound design is fantastic, conveying a truly alien world and building dread as you explore the depths.

It perfectly captures what I loved about scuba diving, a sense of wonder at the sights. It's also the only game I've felt that recreated a dread I've felt in real life staring into a blackness while scuba diving too.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Really glad this game has an actual ending now. One of the most atmospheric games I've ever touched, that feeling of being submerged in this game's water is so realistic, and the mystique of this alien topography and life really adds to the fun. Also I love building real estate in random places.

Nov 2, 2017
I love this game but I wish you were able to roll while swimming...you know, turn upside down. Not sure why you can't.

Also, this game is immersive. I dive deep into a cave and will find myself holding my breath while exploring. It is also scary. Oh and the music is fantastic.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this game in my library for years. I may check it out, but won't play it until I have a better set up for my computer.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been so long since I've played that I've thankfully forgotten my old cookie cutter "build list"

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get the game during early access about a year ago but reported performance issues kept me from doing so. Did those get ironed out? Running 2500k with a 1070

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to play this on Steam with a PS4 controller but the controller isn't working. Does it not support controllers?

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get the game during early access about a year ago but reported performance issues kept me from doing so. Did those get ironed out? Running 2500k with a 1070

I have a 6700k and 980 Ti and @ 1440p with Ultra/max settings I get an average of around 60-70fps. Lowest I've seen is in the low 50's.

Trying to play this on Steam with a PS4 controller but the controller isn't working. Does it not support controllers?

You need to go into the options and enable the controller option. Not sure why it doesn't auto-detect.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Survival games aren't usually my thing but if this is VR, I think I'll give it a try.

Besides, it seems I can tailor the experience to avoid some of the more annoying micro-management that turns me off of the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've owned this game for over a year, but I never tried it out. Now that it's a proper release I figured I'd give it a shot. I dove in (pun not intended, but I appreciated it), tried gathering resources, and then died because I had no idea how to make food. And then I figured out you could grab a fish and cook it. Then I almost died because I didn't realize that swimming in irradiated water was a bad idea. I usually don't like survival games (although I was a fan of No Man's Sky from day one), but this is something special. I'm still less than an hour in, but this game seems really, really good. I look forward to exploring it more this weekend.

As far as performance goes, I have a 7700K and a 980ti and I wasn't noticing any dips below 60 FPS at 1920x1200 (everything maxed in-game). I'm still very early on, so maybe there are more taxing areas later, but it doesn't seem like it has any noticeable issues performance-wise.

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclops may be my all-time favorite vehicle.
It's so big that you have to rely on multiple external cameras with lights that can be turned off (some creatures are drawn to light). The engines have to be manually engaged (run them too loud and creatures may be drawn to the sound). There's onboard storage with room for useful tools, A DOCKING BAY FOR A SMALLER, MORE MANEUVERABLE SUB, etc. Even repairing it is fun, what with the hull breaches and the flooding.

The options in the game or in Steam? I don't see any options in game. Steam controller support seems to be setup just fine for me.

Launch the game, go to Options, then Controller on the left. There should be an option for Enable Controller. You have to do that or an Xbox controller won't work. I'm not sure if this is necessary for a Steam Controller.

Last edited:

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Launch the game, go to Options, then Controller on the left. There should be an option for Enable Controller. You have to do that or an Xbox controller won't work. I'm not sure if this is necessary for a Steam Controller.
Something may be wrong as I don't have a Controller section on my options menu at all.

subnautica.jpg

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something may be wrong as I don't have a Controller section on my options menu at all.

subnautica.jpg
I just tested this and I don't think anything's wrong. The Controller category only appears if the game detects a controller. I assume it looks for XInput so you might have to configure the Steam Controller to emulate an Xbox controller before the option will appear in-game.

Last edited:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I got this in a Humble Bundle a while ago, never tried it

I noticed it's listed in my Steam VR section. Is it worth playing in VR (Vive)?

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I just started to build my first base and I feel like such a champion survivor no longer being limited to that pokey escape pod! Fuck you, 4546B - I am master of the shallows!
That is exactly how I felt when I first built a base. SEE YA LATER POD!

Now, I've been having quite a lot of fun building up my base. This is how it looks like today.
T5b3jUl.jpg

Nice OT guys, this game is amazing, let's uncover this planets mysteries!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Part of why Subnautica works so well is that it's not just Survival™. It's a survival scenario, a very specific scenario that allows the game to focus around and realize. This allows the mechanics and regions and crafting and everything else to be designed to suit that one particular concept.

The Long Dark succeeds for a similar reason, also focusing on realizing the scenario of being lost and alone in the cold north in a realistic man vs nature situation.

Also Subnautica has something more survival games don't: verticality. Or rather reverse verticality aka depth, in that the downward layered world really elevated the sense of exploration and gives you an instantly understandable and ever-present goal. To go down, to go deeper.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
I poked around in this years ago when I bought it in early access but decided I'd wait until it was finished to play properly. Sure enough I've started again now. I never got really far last time, didn't even build a base. I'm at about the same point now where I'm checking out some distress signals that have come in over the radio and working towards building a base. I think all I'm really missing for the habitat builder is some silver... I found one piece in the initial biome but used it on a high capacity air tank instead; I'm gonna look around in the Kelp Forest biome more as I feel it'll be slightly easier to find there.

The Aurora is about to blow and I know I'll want to get over there eventually to explore it but there's no time pressure or anything to get there, is there? Feel I'm kinda being a bit slow and taking my time looking around.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it just me, or does the game not have an autosave? I played for a few hours, quit out with no visible "hey, this game doesn't have an autosave" warning, and the next day, I was starting all over.

PC version, by the way.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it just me, or does the game not have an autosave? I played for a few hours, quit out with no visible "hey, this game doesn't have an autosave" warning, and the next day, I was starting all over.

PC version, by the way.

It doesn't have an autosave function, because you might not want to save in bad situations that can occur.

The game should have a warning when you exit without saving that you are going to lose X amount of progress (in time).

It should be a bug if you didn't get it

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

PC version, by the way.
There's no autosave, unfortunately. The save isn't synced to Steam Cloud either.

The big problem is that saves are 500 MB each.

I'd love an option to keep an autosave along with the manual save, damn the filesize.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclops may be my all-time favorite vehicle.
It's so big that you have to rely on multiple external cameras with lights that can be turned off (some creatures are drawn to light). The engines have to be manually engaged (run them too loud and creatures may be drawn to the sound). There's onboard storage with room for useful tools, A DOCKING BAY FOR A SMALLER, MORE MANEUVERABLE SUB, etc. Even repairing it is fun, what with the hull breaches and the flooding.
I love how physical the process of operating it feels. Too often vehicles feel like model swaps, here you actually feel like you're inside a huge, complex machine.
Saying that "there's on-board storage" is underselling it quite a bit - it's big enough that you can craft a portable base inside it.

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
This game is one of my favourite VR experiences, but it still needs touch controller support and some UI fixes for it to be amazing.
I hope the Devs will improve the VR experience now that it's out of EA, because imo this could be a killer app for VR.

Dec 20, 2017

It should be played in survival. Your hunger and hydration are only ever a problem at first before you get settled in.

Or... If something goes terribly wrong while you're exploring the depths...

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I played for five hours today, this game is legit. Having some lag issues at some times though..don't know why since it's so sporadic.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Despite being very interested, I'm not going to be able to play this. I think I have a genuine phobia of the ocean.

Played for a couple hours today despite having a similar fear. The starting area isn't too bad since there is a lot of coral, relatively shallow ocean, and high visibility. You can see some semblance of ground in each direction. Definitely some places I have not ventured far into because they are deeper, more open, and I can't see the bottom. Fear of the unknown definitely out there.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
It's pretty but *extremely* boring. Like drill holes into your skull and your brain oozes out and and you don't even realize because you're so bored boring.

Don't buy this game.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game for a few hours now, just barely found life pod 6 (the one that doesn't give you a location marker and you have to find on your own). I really want to build a vehicle bay but have only scanned 2 out of 3 and I have no idea where the a 3rd one is or even where I found the original 2. Also have no idea where to find and scan a multi purpose room so I could build it. I don't have any radio messages at the moment but hoping the next ones guide me towards what I want. I'm really enjoying the game but I dislike the crafting aspect of it, particularly the inventory management and having to search for materials. And I wish there was a map.

OP
OP
TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game for a few hours now, just barely found life pod 6 (the one that doesn't give you a location marker and you have to find on your own). I really want to build a vehicle bay but have only scanned 2 out of 3 and I have no idea where the a 3rd one is or even where I found the original 2. Also have no idea where to find and scan a multi purpose room so I could build it. I don't have any radio messages at the moment but hoping the next ones guide me towards what I want. I'm really enjoying the game but I dislike the crafting aspect of it, particularly the inventory management and having to search for materials. And I wish there was a map.
It kinda bugs me that the multipurpose room is locked at the start of the game (it wasn't locked in earlier builds) so I headed straight for the
moving island
to unlock it. It's a little far from your starting location but you don't need any special equipment to reach it.

As for other sticking points, I'd suggest checking the wiki if you're missing a single piece of a blueprint. It'll point you in the right direction without spoiling the rest of the game.

Regarding a map, it may help to place beacons at points of interest. You can name them whatever you want, you can disable them in your HUD, and you can move them to a new location very easily.