• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
My posts are not about actions and consequences. It's not about defending his twitter posts. It's about YOUR behavior. The behavior of all the user posting in this thread. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I see a substantial amount of people, both ITT and outside this forum yet also participating in the convo, yearning for the days of old where gamers would just enjoy video games without factoring the politics, ideologies, opinions, etc of the creators into their decisions to purchase/support a game. Their arguments tend to hinge on the whole freedom of speech thing, which gets interpreted as the creators of games being entitled to a prosperous career regardless of any questionable, or unpopular opinions they may have.

Those "good old days" were mostly before the prevalence of social media. Ignorance was bliss, and most gamers would have to put a decent effort into discovering the controversial views of game developers. Nowadays, not only are said devs stating their views publicly via a smorgasbord of online outlets, but info like SuperPAC donations and the like is a bit more accessible.

Of course, gamers who care about this sort of thing can also use the same social media outlets to draw more attention to these opinions and do things like creating this thread, which then shines a spotlight on said devs even outside the user base of this forum. The gamers who, in an earlier time, would be oblivious to the controversial opinions and views of the people responsible for creating the games they consume, end up seeing the reactions of other gamers to these views and then will be factoring this information into their game purchases, one way or another.

The thing is, all of these people in this long chain have the very same freedom of speech that the game developers do. Freedom to say these devs are pieces of shit for having any kind of views that don't line up with their own, including but not limited to transphobia. Freedom to "vote with their wallets", so to speak, and not purchase games that contribute to the livelihood of these devs. It's the brave new world we live in, for better or for worse. We all just need to get used to it, and adapt if necessary.
There's absolutely no validity whatsoever in what those kind of people say.

They want the game devs to have freedom of speech, but no one criticizing those dev's disgusting views should have freedom of speech.

Also if they wanted to go back to a time of gaming without politics, why would they click into this thread?

It's always bullshit, they know it, everyone knows it.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Given the post above, no. He's blaming us somehow for his open and public behavior. I didn't know Resetera already had the power to decide to fire people. I thought we had to wait a few years to get on Gaf's level /s

Seriously, the sheer amount of vitriol and lies spread by Cheong and other alt-righters is unreal.
I wonder how that will affect any self-reflection. Why look for areas of self-improvement/betterment when you can blame external forces for noticing your overt/public behavior and you also have a vocal group claiming that you did nothing wrong?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The alt right tactic of shooting the messenger is in full swing here. What a bunch of special snow, they are.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really refuse to accept any personal responsibility, it's astounding.

My posts are not about actions and consequences. It's not about defending his twitter posts. It's about YOUR behavior. The behavior of all the user posting in this thread. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

I fail to see how others are at fault for being disgusted with the disgusting behavior of a designer who openly airs their hateful views.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
User banned 72h for false accusations of doxxing
Not sure if I should be happy about an asshole getting what he deserves or be concerned about ERA apparently now having its own doxxing squad.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017

But this is the last time I'm posting here, so...whatever.

Couldn't help yourself eh? Please explain what was so bad about a load of people exporessing their disgust at this individuals behaviour.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Are you actually going to elaborate further or are you just going to continue to be outraged and wag your finger?

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy is a public figure because of their work on the game. The negative behind something being a "witch hunt" comes from it not being true.
Right, but no racist ever thinks that they're racist. Because it isn't racist if it's true, and everyone thinks their beliefs are true by virtue of believing them, and therefore calling them racist just makes them feel unfairly persecuted.

It's far more effective to show someone that they're incorrect than it is to label their fallacy as racist. I often debate conservatives, and one of the things I've discovered is that as soon as you say the word racist, you've lost the debate. But if you can explain to them that their belief is factually wrong, and that it's common for people to accept incorrect information based on confirmation biases that often happen along racial lines... then you can make your points. And yeah, maybe that's using a whole lot more words to call them racist, but it actually works.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
LMAO sure.
Unprofessional conduct? Like this thread you say? If you call it a witch hunt or not doesn't matter. It is what it is....embarrassing. People are happy when someone gets fired... fuck his life, right? He isn't worth anything, right?
Anyways, go on. In a couple of weeks there will be another one of those threads. But this is the last time I'm posting here, so...whatever.

Don't forget to close the door, pls.

stufte

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Removing his source of income does nothing to change his views or enlighten him to why he's wrong. This is not a good thing.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given the post above, no. He's blaming us somehow for his open and public behavior. I didn't know Resetera already had the power to decide to fire people. I thought we had to wait a few years to get on Gaf's level /s

Seriously, the sheer amount of vitriol and lies spread by Cheong and other alt-righters is unreal.

And they're just all running with the narrative that Resetera is at fault somehow.

"Waaaaaah why do my actions have consequences waaaaah"

Fucking snowflake.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
As a software developer, it doesn't make sense to label me a "public figure" because I had a part in a particular commercial project. That's nonsense.

I have no sympathy for this guy, it's good that he's gone. But I don't like the personal implications that people put on my profession. I have contributed to both private/commerical and open source software am most definitely NOT a public figure. That's crazy to even say that.
It's a grey area yeah but when you openly say that you are so and so of a particular game/company and you publicly say some nasty things, then you are pretty much fair game. Smarter people would just be openly racist and transphobic, anonymously.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was honestly the only smart decision left to the devs. Even just being part of a company that might hire people from backgrounds this guy is spouting hate speech about would get him fired from any place I've ever worked if these tweets were brought to HR's attention. This isn't a special case, this is just bog standard being part of a company and therefore being accountable for what you say publicly as someone who could be construed as a representative of said company.

And this is all without even considering that the devs are trying to sell a rather small product that could live and die on controversy like this.

Sad that the dude had to get himself fired over this. Hopefully he'll take this as an opportunity to moderate his public behavior online, or even to examine some of his backwards, ignorant beliefs. The devs absolutely did the right thing here, for the company and its culture and for the game they're trying to sell.

Finny

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what is there actually to discuss? We all know how these threads turn out. Its a few pages of everyone agreeing the person has bad opinions and then it devolves into arguing when one person comes in and sympathizes with those opinions and then the thread gets locked.

What's the point?

Just wanted to point out that this is funny to come back to given how things have turned out.

Act like a shithead publicly, get fired from the company you represent. Actions have consequences, whodathunkit.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely crazy he's lost his job although I can understand why in the current 'Sphere climate.

Him losing his job isn't going to make him change his ways, at best, drive them underground. Absolutely ridiculous.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if I should be happy about an asshole getting what he deserves or be concerned about ERA apparently now having its own doxxing squad.
Who got doxxed? Dude's job description is in his Twitter bio and he mixed tweets about his job and promoting Subnautica with those defending James Damore's bullshit

I fail to see how his behavior is at all defendable. Care to elaborate?
FWIW, i dont think he was directly defending the statements of that user, more so much that he was upset by the supposed witch hunting of said user.
Neither is true however, when you are in a position where you are part of a bigger picture, its inherently stupid to publically express views that are rather damaging to other groups. Its also problematic that one has those views in the first place, but hey, free speech. He posted those publically on the internet and somehow expected its okay to have these in a climate where the fight against discrimination and racism has never been so upfront and important as of now.

So in that sense i don't understand that guy. He is literally walking into a shooting range and then throwing a stick of dynamite whilst being also in a minefield.

dumbass racist gets fired for twitter shit posting. No tears shed here but, is it really necessary to dig up peoples past just to fire them?
Feb 3rd, not really the ''past''. If this was from years ago, then the thread would have had a different tone to begin with.

To me that does not sound like he understands why he got fired or why his posts are problematic. In a way i think that's sad too, because im all for people understanding why these views are seen as extremist. Firing a guy for making them is valid, but i hope Unknown Worlds explained to him why this is problematic. Certainly, this guy does not get it yet.

He's actually blaming us for it by agreeing with Cheong.

Quite shameful that he has to use an ad populum to have his message gain strength. Heck, even the usage of that overdone phrase ''SJW'' is already not helping at all. I would have appreciated if Cheong atleast read those posts that are nothing what he says they are, but i guess scoring a quick kill is easier than actually investigating the issue.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
As the individual in question is no longer working on the game, this thread appears to have run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.