• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we get a better definition of what thread whining is? Because I see much worse examples in non-political threads that go by without a problem. Now I guess this post can be considered thread whining but really I'm just legitimate curious because if anything this thread gives off the wrong impression on whether an open discourse is allowed on this forums.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
already got the game before becoming aware of this. i wont be purchasing any more titles from the company while that employee is still there. i appreciate cosumer-alert threads like this. so much shameful thread whining on the first page, some of you need to get some perspective

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to convince them. I want them to fuck off to hell and leave the rest of us alone.
The problem is that the latter isn't an actual option. I'm not making a value judgement here, I'm just talking about how to most effectively make actual progress. Those that have have made great achievements for social justice have two things in common; their ability to inspire empathy in a way that changes hearts and minds, and to focus on specific, actionable goals. That is the end game. There is no "fuck off and leave us alone" button.

Last edited:
If they get rid of the person who is proudly proclaiming to be the sound designer of the game, who is being very racist and very transphobic, I'll put it back on my future consideration list. I know they wouldn't notice just one lost sale but plenty of other people are going to refuse to buy it as well, and I want to be part of that message saying this behavior is not okay.
I feel its also not okay to have the rest of team be affected aswell - Which unfortunately is what this individual's remarks will be causing. From my post a page back:

You know this thread is a wasteland when you see so many red on one page. This really brings out wildly varying and at points rather extreme views to the table. Im also amazed by the amount of folk discussing mod policies. There is a PM button for this, and if you ask me, the staff is perfectly willing to have a discussion, provided one brings a good argument to the table.

That being said, this thread has a lot in common with the Witchfire thread from sometime ago, where the CEO is also under scrutiny for making problematic remarks. However, as i stated there too, one problematic matter does not speak for all of them. What it does do, is hurt those studio members who are part of the studio. When people say ''Fuck this game'' or ''Fuck this team'', you get dangerously close of labelling those members guilty by association.

Which in my opinion is an unjust thing to do. Don't buy the game because of this single member, but don't throw the whole team under the bus just because of one member being problematic. If anything, that member deserves an extra line of critique for being unaware of the consequences of his statements because, as mentioned, you will have people disregarding the entire studio because of his shitty statements.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I feel its also not okay to have the rest of team be affected aswell - Which unfortunately is what this individual's remarks will be causing. From my post a page back:
The rest of the team could have easily not been dragged in this mess, it's on the dirtbag that they're dragged in this.
If they have any complaint about it they can redirect them to the teammate who started this shit.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
we can use any reason to not buy a game. This company employing someone with distasteful and offensive views is totally valid. Tweeting the developer that you are happy for their game but cannot purchase it because of their lack of action on said employee is also valid.

For as much as this forum sucks the dick of capitalism it really doesnt like when it and free markets to try and change the gaming landscape for better. Thinking you are entitled to get to like everything without having to hear about the ethical dilemmas created by consuming it. be it this game for knowingly putting money into the pocket of a racist fuck, or food industrial complex that revels in the killing and torture of animals or the working conditions of those who make our phones and games.

fuck that guy, fuck the game he took part in. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, thank you to this community for believing we can pull gaming into an era of equal representation and ideas. Its still very much a boys club and boys will be boys attitude but we can be an effort for change and threads like this are evidence of it.

Oh damn...the dev can literally be Hitler and I'm still checkin this out.
Then i come crashing back into this fucking reality

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a better definition of what thread whining is? Because I see much worse examples in non-political threads that go by without a problem. Now I guess this post can be considered thread whining but really I'm just legitimate curious because if anything this thread gives off the wrong impression on whether an open discourse is allowed on this forums.
I think they prefer you contact the staff about moderation policies rather than try and discuss it within a thread.

That said I'm not exactly sure what discourse isn't being allowed here unless it's siding with the guy. There's really no defense for his opinions. If you're referring to boycotting due to 1 person the thread is also not about that as stated in the OP.

For me personally it put this gentlemen on my radar and the company he represents as a result. Based on their reaction or inaction in the coming days it informs my future purchase decisions on their products. Or at least my level of comfort doing so. Also serves as a reminder to try and not be a piece of shit in my own life. Lol.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it also bears mentioning that boycotting this game, pressuring the company to make a statement, fire this employee, whatever... none of that does anything to actually combat racism, transphobia, or to promote social justice. At all. Social meida call-outs are not a political action. If you want to make a difference either have a dialog or focus on substantial matters of policy that can actually make a difference. This stuff is a waste of energy and may actually be doing more to strengthen the other side than ours by making them feel persecuted.

Social media is where a lot of modern discussion happens; it is manifestly political discussion. Minimum standards in a workplace are a deeply important part of the context of our lives; they represent the everyday crossroads of personal and collective interest.

People advocating against the rights and acceptance of others don't get to hide from the natural criticism it recieves by claiming that expression against it is tantamount to persecution. Your comment didn't specify reactions to the extreme, just about reactions to the behavior. You or anyone arguing that the best way to respond (in general) to issues of sentiments of racial superiority or gender exclusion is to be silent gives every appearance of tipping your hand. I think you're talking out of the side of your mouth here.

Last edited:
And while I agree with that for the most part is there any better way to get a message across? Other than being loud and not buying the game.
I do think that as a community, we should make some kind of post we can send to Unknown Worlds directly detailing them of this incident (and before other sites will pick up on it and they have to learn it that way which sounds rather ''direct'' to me). If they are unaware of these matters, i feel that they should be informed. I would happily make a draft message that can be sent, perhaps a staff member would want to help out with that aswell.

I have been watching this topic for a while now and whilst a lot of is it disdain against that individual, an increasing number of users are asking if the dev has responded, which evidently is not the case. We are not in charge of deciding what should or should not happen with their sound designer, but at least, i think it would send a positive message across if we contact them directly behind the scenes and inform of these matters.

Speaking of which, i will contact Nicole on this to see if there is a possibility regarding that. Regardless if we are obliged to do this (I don't think ERA by itself is) i think its a nice gesture to do, from a forum community to a game developer.

The rest of the team could have easily not been dragged in this mess, it's on the dirtbag that they're dragged in this.
If they have any complaint about it they can redirect them to the teammate who started this shit.
Sure, this is why this is so problematic in the first place - One individual makes consequences for the rest. I have written on this before earlier in the topic, so i won't go to repeat myself, but i do think that, if they are still unaware of it at this stage, i can imagine they wouldn't like sites like Polygon, Kotaku ''suddenly'' reporting in on this.

Oct 25, 2017

Essentially, posts that suggest that the thread should not exist, asking "who cares," etc.

Boycotting something often punishes people who aren't involved. Unless you're opposed to all boycotts, I think you need to be able to justify why one boycott is okay and the other is not.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have questions about the moderation policy of this forum, PM a moderator or an admin directly. This thread is not the place to discuss moderation policy.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Posts that suggest the discussion should not be happening are the broadest meaning of thread whining. You can send a PM to any of the moderators/administrators if you need more clarification beyond the Terms of Service or the General FAQ.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the latter isn't an actual option. I'm not making a value judgement here, I'm just talking about how to most effectively make actual progress. Those that have have made great achievements for social justice have two things in common; their ability to inspire empathy in a way that changes hearts and minds, and to focus on specific, actionable goals. That is the end game. There is not "fuck off and leave us alone" button.
Fantastic post.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think the company owes us a response. They just need to discipline the employee.
If something about a game or its development is problematic, it should absolutely be addressed officially.

Every game has its own community, and the developer is one of its primary shepherds. Their response, or lack thereof, matters.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social media is where a lot of modern discussion happens; it is manifestly political discussion. Minimum standards in a workplace are a deeply important part of the context of our lives; they represent the everyday crossroads of personal and collective interest.

People advocating against the rights and acceptance of others don't get to hide from the natural criticism it recieves by claiming that free expression against it is tantamount to persecution. You or anyone arguing that the best way to respond to issues of racial superiority or gender exclusion is to be silent gives every appearance of tipping your hand. I think you're talking out of the side of your mouth here.
I'm not saying the criticism is misplaced or that it shouldn't happen, just that it shouldn't be confused for meaningful political action. It's an HR issue.

I also don't think it's "persecution," but it's important to recognize that many people will. The young right is extremely reactionary; their whole worldview exists largely in defiance of the left, and the notion that the left is trying to "purge" or silence them only serves to galvanize them.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Sure, this is why this is so problematic in the first place - One individual makes consequences for the rest. I have written on this before earlier in the topic, so i won't go to repeat myself, but i do think that, if they are still unaware of it at this stage, i can imagine they wouldn't like sites like Polygon, Kotaku ''suddenly'' reporting in on this.
That's usually the part where they end the employee, make a public statement saying that they're sorry if anyone took it the wrong way but it doesn't represent them in any way.
They haven't done this so they're clearly happy with this being the face of their company.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that i worry about the basis on which we discuss the merits of not consuming something that comes from someone with negative ideals, that is, that we are consumers and consumption means condonance, which i don't feel is true. Though, in another sense, this admittance that disengaging with negative people is more important than consuming something that might entertain us is a positive one, though i rarely ever see it put like that, even if i sort of believe that to be what's happening.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying the criticism is misplaced or that it shouldn't happen, just that it shouldn't be confused for meaningful political action. It's an HR issue.

You're saying that responding to these assertions about race/gender where they appear isn't meaningful. You're making a faulty threshhold claim that an action isn't worthwhile because "it isn't enough." People responding with words isn't mutually exclusive from any other means of political action, but you're making the fallacious point that it is.

Last edited:
Boycotting something often punishes people who aren't involved. Unless you're opposed to all boycotts, I think you need to be able to justify why one boycott is okay and the other is not.
I don't think any boycot is okay. I felt the same with the Witchfire thread and i feel the same here. Unfortunately, its a rather natural flow of happening.
All because this one individual did not think of the consequences. Either way, i am not feeling for repeating more of the same disdain here, and rather look for a way to see if we can actually help Unknown Worlds out. Ofcourse, others should go ahead and voice their opinion, but after that very lengthy post, i think i have said enough, lol.

That's usually the part where they end the employee, make a public statement saying that they're sorry if anyone took it the wrong way but it doesn't represent them in any way.
They haven't done this so they're clearly happy with this being the face of their company.
That is not a great assumption to make, i feel. For all we know they are completely unaware of this yet. Which is why i have raised the idea to contact Unknown Worlds about this, as ERA Community.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any boycot is okay. I felt the same with the Witchfire thread and i feel the same here. Unfortunately, its a rather natural flow of happening.
All because this one individual did not think of the consequences. Either way, i am not feeling for repeating more of the same disdain here, and rather look for a way to see if we can actually help Unknown Worlds out. Ofcourse, others should go ahead and voice their opinion, but after that very lengthy post, i think i have said enough, lol.

That is not a great assumption to make, i feel. For all we know they are completely unaware of this yet. Which is why i have raised the idea to contact Unknown Worlds about this, as ERA Community.

The notion that boycotts are not okay suggests an obligation for consumers to spend as opposed to an obligation of companies to meet the demands of the people who keep them in business. Boycotting is a good way to make clear to a company that such behavior is not okay.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying "it's an HR issue" is a little laughable considering incidents that have happened recently in games/journalism where HR will go to bat for the company over the individual

The notion that boycotts are not okay suggests an obligation for consumers to spend as opposed to an obligation of companies to meet the demands of the people who keep them in business. Boycotting is a good way to make clear to a company that such behavior is not okay.
It seems like there are some people here that actually believe that. That if you're not supporting every game, you're hurting devs. It's that kind of mentality that allows the consumer to get walked all over by publishers inserting more and more insidious anti-consumer shit into their games.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, they are completely aware of this. This guy has a lot of deleted tweets now from where he was talking to people about it. I didn't manage to see them before they were deleted, but he's still there in the replies and people are mentioning "your team" towards the "Tweet is not available"

He also has this tweet afterwards

Where its getting passed off as trolling instead of as the racist garbage that it is.

And I hope no one pushes the "maybe he wasn't really being transphobic"

pZxfO9A.png

But its a Gab account, so I don't know why people want to give him the benefit of the doubt anyways

Ofcourse.People should vote with their wallet. I do think that if those people don't want to buy this game because of this guy, thats perfectly fine. I do think its different when you dont buy the game because of the whole team itself or the developer in general.

See:
.Don't buy the game because of this single member, but don't throw the whole team under the bus just because of one member being problematic. If anything, that member deserves an extra line of critique for being unaware of the consequences of his statements because, as mentioned, you will have people disregarding the entire studio because of his shitty statements.

By the way, its surprisingly easy to contact them, so i don't think its difficult to send a private message across making them aware of these matters before Kotaku/Polygon pick up on it.

No, they are completely aware of this. This guy has a lot of deleted tweets now from where he was talking to people about it. I didn't manage to see them before they were deleted, but he's still there in the replies and people are mentioning "your team" towards the "Tweet is not available"

He also has this tweet afterwards

Where its getting passed off as trolling instead of as the racist garbage that it is.

Then i think they should be contacted anyway just to point out that this is indeed problematic.
Also, the Apache Helicopter meme, as ive learned from this very thread is not so much racist as it is indeed trolling - Its the comments preceding it and that are in the OP that are way more problematic.

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are certainly aware, the guys twitter was blocked immediately when the designer mentioned it.
In the meantime, the sound designer guy is on the first photo on the company's twitter.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then i think they should be contacted anyway just to point out that this is indeed problematic.
Also, the Apache Helicopter meme, as ive learned from this very thread is not so much racist as it is indeed trolling - Its the comments preceding it and that are in the OP that are way more problematic.

The attack helicopter isn't trolling, its transphobic and used to attack trans people's identities. All of his other posts are directly racist.

I'm not authorized to view this tweet. Can you screenshot it?

The tweets are protected now, so its locked up. You might need a screendump for that, but if you do, send it to staff first. I have no specific idea if screendumping closed tweets (although its obvious why this was done) is invading privacy or what not, so better be safe than sorry.

The attack helicopter isn't trolling, its transphobic and used to attack trans people's identities. All of his other posts are directly racist.
Till today i always thought it was just a joke, never knew about how this was actually an insultive comment to make.
I was talking about the other posts yeah. They should be made aware that those posts are problematic - Responding to the helicopter meme as ''trolling'' is not the main concern, the racist tweets are.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he gets punished and they release a statement soon, game is very good and doesn't appear to have those kind of views in it (the only thing i've seen in terms of progressive/regressiveness in the game leaned progressive) they really shouldn't let it be stained by this person.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
It says "so I just got fired" posted 29m ago

byebitch.gif

For some reason, it doesn't show locked/protected for me

Oct 25, 2017

The consumer does not owe creators a goddamn thing. It's the creators' onus to make a product that people want to buy, and if the consumer does not want to buy it because someone on the dev team is quite vocally racist and transphobic, the consumer can choose not to support the dev for that or for any other reason they want. If an employee is generating bad PR for a game because of his or her racist or transphobic views, they can choose to ignore or to rectify it.

Good. :)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
and the hunt begins..

I hope I'm misunderstanding what you're implying here (it's vague), but just in the case that you were implying this situation is unfairly targeting someone:

This is newsworthy because the person doing it is a public figure through their work on the game. The negative connotation for something being a "witch hunt" comes from the accusations being untrue and maliciously targeted. People are looking at public assertions and quips, not innuendo and fabrications, and the response from people who don't like what they see is criticism.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
If he actually got fired that's awesome. Good on subnautica's dev team or whoever made the decision. Shame there's so many people (well really only a few) bemoaning the lost of a toxic individual because their "work was amazing".

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they have a statement ready to go, and hopefully that individual can use this as a chance for reflection and growth.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't notice that he was on Gab. Yeah, he's definitely transphobic based on some of the comments.

But yes, don't post private posts, THAT isn't okay, even if he's an ass.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a substantial amount of people, both ITT and outside this forum yet also participating in the convo, yearning for the days of old where gamers would just enjoy video games without factoring the politics, ideologies, opinions, etc of the creators into their decisions to purchase/support a game. Their arguments tend to hinge on the whole freedom of speech thing, which gets interpreted as the creators of games being entitled to a prosperous career regardless of any questionable, or unpopular opinions they may have.

Those "good old days" were mostly before the prevalence of social media. Ignorance was bliss, and most gamers would have to put a decent effort into discovering the controversial views of game developers. Nowadays, not only are said devs stating their views publicly via a smorgasbord of online outlets, but info like SuperPAC donations and the like is a bit more accessible.

Of course, gamers who care about this sort of thing can also use the same social media outlets to draw more attention to these opinions and do things like creating this thread, which then shines a spotlight on said devs even outside the user base of this forum. The gamers who, in an earlier time, would be oblivious to the controversial opinions and views of the people responsible for creating the games they consume, end up seeing the reactions of other gamers to these views and then will be factoring this information into their game purchases, one way or another.

The thing is, all of these people in this long chain have the very same freedom of speech that the game developers do. Freedom to say these devs are pieces of shit for having any kind of views that don't line up with their own, including but not limited to transphobia. Freedom to "vote with their wallets", so to speak, and not purchase games that contribute to the livelihood of these devs. It's the brave new world we live in, for better or for worse. We all just need to get used to it, and adapt if necessary.

It says "so I just got fired" posted 29m ago

byebitch.gif

For some reason, it doesn't show locked/protected for me

Seems like it got unlocked. The Vagabond one should be in the OP.

The consumer does not owe creators a goddamn thing. It's the creators' onus to make a product that people want to buy, and if the consumer does not want to buy it because someone on the dev team is quite vocally racist and transphobic, the consumer can choose not to support the dev for that or for any other reason they want.
Sure, i have no problems with that. But when people see ''Man fuck this team'' or ''Fuck this dev'' and thus speaking in general, then they are blaming the entire team for it, which i feel is unjustified. Now that the sound designer is fired, i expect a statement soon. Props to Unknown Worlds for the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.