• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Noone posted the update?

https://twitter.com/Sy1K1/status/960587908599103488

IB4lZGS.jpg
Good response from the Subnautica dev team. I always appreciate threads like these even if I don't feel I have much to add myself, because I like to stay informed about games I might potentially be interested in, and as a result of their actions I'm now more likely, not less, to give them my money in future.

Oct 25, 2017
Witches aren't real. A terrible person being fired for their unprofessional conduct is not a witch hunt.

Learn how to use that term properly.
LMAO sure.
Unprofessional conduct? Like this thread you say? If you call it a witch hunt or not doesn't matter. It is what it is....embarrassing. People are happy when someone gets fired... fuck his life, right? He isn't worth anything, right?
Anyways, go on. In a couple of weeks there will be another one of those threads. But this is the last time I'm posting here, so...whatever.

Unbelievable. This thread is an embarrassment.
Sometimes I feel ashamed to be part of this community. Seems like the witch hunt is finished.
Except this was not a witch hunt as likely UnknownWorlds got wind of this through Twitter in the first place. Also, i don't think its inherently bad that people with such views get exposed for what they are.

However, your response is exactly why i suggested making an official ERA message in the first place - That way you would not be calling it out as a witch hunt, which you now, unfortunately, think it is.

LMAO sure.
Unprofessional conduct? Like this thread you say? If you call it a witch hunt or not doesn't matter. It is what it is....embarrassing. People are happy when someone gets fired... fuck his life, right? He isn't worth anything, right?
Actually, it is regrettable that this guy lost his job, his bread and butter. If you have enough skills to be in this industry, that's always a loss to cope with.

At the same time, its also regrettable that he made those damning statements whilst fully showing that he was a part of Unknown Worlds. As such, extreme views such like his will indirectly also target Unknown Worlds themselves. You should not have such extremist views in the first place, let alone posting them publically on the internet and then thinking nothing will happen.

If you want to support his kind of view, i won't stop you. I do think you would need a much more elaborate example to go along with then what you do now.

But this is the last time I'm posting here, so...whatever.
So this is just a burner account? :/ For shame. Im all up for criticizing the way a river flows, but you need more than a pebble to distort the whole river, sort to say.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
We actually have defense force for publicly transphobic and racist assholes?

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I feel ashamed to be part of this community. Seems like the witch hunt is finished.

That's an interesting response to a hateful bigot being rightfully fired from their job. Ignoring all the politics, bad PR and ongoing issues for the company, how are coworkers supposed to continue working with this guy (especially if the coworker is from any minority group)?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Don't say shit in public if you're not ready for the consequences of said actions fam

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO sure.
Anyways, go on. In a couple of weeks there will be another one of those threads. But this is the last time I'm posting here, so...whatever.

Opinions are free. But surprise! Opinions have consequences too!

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
LMAO sure.
I wish you luck in your search to find a community where you can cape for bigots and not feel ashamed!

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that i worry about the basis on which we discuss the merits of not consuming something that comes from someone with negative ideals, that is, that we are consumers and consumption means condonance, which i don't feel is true. Though, in another sense, this admittance that disengaging with negative people is more important than consuming something that might entertain us is a positive one, though i rarely ever see it put like that, even if i sort of believe that to be what's happening.

I dont believe we are consumers first. We're humans first, and if some choose to base their decisions around that idea and it ultimately leads to a lowered potential for entertainment/happiness, so be it. Such is the world we live in.

One thing that's really caught my mind lately concerning these instances is the similarities it has with the current political climate in the US. How many believe(myself included) that some who admits to supporting/voting Trump may not be racist, but are clearly okay with supporting one for their own selfish reasoning. Now take that example and apply it to openly bigoted, racist, and xenophobic individuals selling a product.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're saying that responding to these assertions about race/gender where they appear isn't meaningful. You're making a faulty threshhold claim that an action isn't worthwhile because "it isn't enough." People responding with words isn't mutually exclusive from any other means of political action, but you're making the fallacious point that it is.
No, but I'm saying there are ways to discuss things that are both productive and counterproductive and we should be more thoughtful and less shrill when we have these discussions. It's always better to show why people are wrong than to just call them bad (even if both are true).

In the end, I actually think this was handled well. The company was made aware of it and they handled it themselves. That's how it should be.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That person's life isn't even ruined, they'll get another job soon enough. Their actions have consequences in this specific moment but they'll either learn and grow or they won't.. but either way, they will find work again. And he'll probably keep his mouth shut for a while.

I don't envy devs that have to do extensive background checks through social media but it's becoming a necessity now.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont believe we are consumers first. We're humans first, and if some choose to base their decisions around that idea and it ultimately leads to a lowered potential for entertainment/happiness, so be it. Such is the world we live in.

One thing that's really caught my mind lately concerning these instances is the similarities it has with the current political climate in the US. How many believe(myself included) that some who admits to supporting/voting Trump may not be racist, but are clearly okay with supporting one for their own selfish reasoning. Now take that example and apply it to openly bigoted, racist, and xenophobic individuals selling a product.
You say this like Trump isn't openly bigoted.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good response from the Subnautica dev team. I always appreciate threads like these even if I don't feel I have much to add myself, because I like to stay informed about games I might potentially be interested in, and as a result of their actions I'm now more likely, not less, to give them my money in future.

I hadn't heard about this game until just a few days ago, but after seeing this action and the high praise, I'm probably going to pick it up. Hopefully they don't receive too much backlash for letting this individual go.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO sure.

I fail to see how his behavior is at all defendable. Care to elaborate?

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO sure.
A professional thread? What is that?
Can you earn money and make a service out of threads now?

Nobody is taking away his right to apply for jobs, his life isn't ruined.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good on the team for taking action, though ideally they would have acted on their own without the need of external people needing to point these things out... It's not like he was secretive about her views after all, lol.
You know, the thing about witch hunts is that the "witches" being hunted weren't actually witches.

Do you fail to see the difference?
The way this term is used so often in situations like this is so baffling. The point of witch hunts being terrible is that no actual witches were involved, but "hunting" people with terrible views and conducts is justified and serves a purpose lmao. Nobody wants bigots as co workers let alone as public images of your company.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dumbass racist gets fired for twitter shit posting. No tears shed here but, is it really necessary to dig up peoples past just to fire them?

Oct 25, 2017

This person was fired for immediately visible behavior. There is a clear and present reason why he was fired. Stop using buzzwords if you don't know what they even mean in the first place.

dumbass racist gets fired for twitter shit posting. No tears shed here but, is it really necessary to dig up peoples past just to fire them?

But this just happened, there's no digging

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017

The term "witch hunt" only works if the reasons for the "hunt" so to speak are very unclear, i.e. there may not even be a valid one and the witches were never witches in the first place. But in this case it doesn't; people are mad because of very clear reasons and have been asking for some sort of response or action from the developer, and now we've gotten that.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO sure.
It's more about the people that have to work with him than it is any of us. I don't get anything out of him being fired, but I do think that what he said creates a hostile work environment for any diverse members of the staff, and that's not right.

Vishnoo

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO sure.
Compassion is pretty limited for a person like me who is probably from a 3rd world country in his eyes. So what if some doors are closed to him now because of his racist/transphobic bullshit. He can either learn from it or keep on trucking being a piece of shit.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

This guy is a public figure because of their work on the game. The negative behind something being a "witch hunt" comes from it not being true. People are seeing derisive public statements about race and gender, not innuendo or fabrications. The response from people who don't like what they see has been criticism. The employer saw an employee's public behavior that was hostile to a whole spectrum of people, potential buyers and co-workers alike. People have every right to be glad to see it play out as it should. This isn't police breaking down someone's door or a drumhead court.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LMAO sure.
Well. Bye.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid you are the embarrassment here mate. A company reserves the right to fire someone that does something in public that damages their public image. And saying racist and transphobic stuff would certainly do that.

Oct 26, 2017
LMAO sure.

The removal of toxic, bigoted individuals from the workplace to protect the safety and well-being of co-workers is a huge part of professional conduct and leads to a better industry environment.

Bye.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Good on the team for taking action, though ideally they would have acted on their own without the need of external people needing to point these things out... It's not like he was secretive about her views after all, lol.

The way this term is used so often in situations like this is so baffling. The point of witch hunts being terrible is that no actual witches were involved, but "hunting" people with terrible views and conducts is justified and serves a purpose lmao. Nobody wants bigots as co workers let alone as public images of your company.
If only all those "witches" had to worry about was getting fired.

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO sure.

He lost his job because he fucked up. And people are taking joy in it because he is saying some pretty awful things about other people. He has been routinely disrespectful to POC and trans people, so in turn, POC and trans people and their supporters are going to inevitably not respect him either.

tl;dr

tenor.gif

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
You say this like Trump isn't openly bigoted.
Oh he is, which is why the comparison works. I highlighted openly to emphasize how important knowing that information is in terms of consumers making purchase based on their moral compass, and others labeling them (or not) as a supporter of backwards and inappropriate thinking.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's actually blaming us for it by agreeing with Cheong.

I hope he does some self inflection and realise that this of his own making.

Given the post above, no. He's blaming us somehow for his open and public behavior. I didn't know Resetera already had the power to decide to fire people. I thought we had to wait a few years to get on Gaf's level /s

Seriously, the sheer amount of vitriol and lies spread by Cheong and other alt-righters is unreal.

And they're just all running with the narrative that Resetera is at fault somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope I'm misunderstanding what you're implying here (it's vague), but just in the case that you were implying this situation is unfairly targeting someone:

This is newsworthy because the person doing it is a public figure through their work on the game. The negative connotation for something being a "witch hunt" comes from the accusations being untrue and maliciously targeted. People are looking at public assertions and quips, not innuendo and fabrications, and the response from people who don't like what they see is criticism.

As a software developer, it doesn't make sense to label me a "public figure" because I had a part in a particular commercial project. That's nonsense.

I have no sympathy for this guy, it's good that he's gone. But I don't like the personal implications that people put on my profession. I have contributed to both private/commerical and open source software am most definitely NOT a public figure. That's crazy to even say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.