• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Added to my list of games to avoid along with The Last Night and Kingdom Come Deliverance.
You have the right to do whatever but might as well avoid almost every game in existence. Most likely there is always someone with distorted views who contributes to a games development. The whole team shouldn't suffer

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I can't and won't boycott this game, it's way too cool and I love survival games

But the studio really needs to release a statement and discipline this employee, at minimum

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This is pretty disheartening.

I'm almost 100% sure there's atleast one dev i really love that secretly have bigoted visions like this, and i just feeling lucky about how ignorant i am on that lol

Subnautica is not something i regard as must play, but looks pretty interesting nonetheless. Fortunately looks like this kind of vision doesn't make place on the game itself.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I always thought it wasn't making fun of trans-gendered folk but the people on tumblr who identify as minerals and dragons and stupid shit like that. Like by saying you identify as an attack helicopter your making fun of the extreme shit that makes no sense. Not simply wanting to be a man or woman and such, which makes sense.
You realize the vast majority of those "people on tumblr" were also just trolls right.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a good point I suppose, and I'm glad that threads like these at least shine light on the bad people within the industry, so those things are great.

It's just unfortunate that no discussion is ever had outside of arguments about how terrible a person you are if you still enjoy/bought the game.
it is perfectly okay to enjoy this game

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's actually a good point I suppose, and I'm glad that threads like these at least shine light on the bad people within the industry, so those things are great.

It's just unfortunate that no discussion is ever had outside of arguments about how terrible a person you are if you still enjoy/bought the game.
Did anyone say that though? What I see in here is people saying that defending this person is bad, which is perfectly reasonable.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does making fun of something equate to being phobic of it? It might make you an asshole but that's about all the conclusions that could be drawn from that

Comparing identifying as a woman (for transwomen) to identifying as a helicopter is making a comparison that both are ridiculous. The whole point of the joke is that being an otherkin was ridiculous so they stepped it up to a helicopter to make fun of that. Painting transpeople's identities as being impossible or makebelieve is definitely transphobic.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
You have the right to do whatever but might as well avoid almost every game in existence. Most likely there is always someone with distorted views who contributes to a games development.

"Most likely" is not direct evidence being shown to you. I would argue that it's still important to take action against people who let their hate flag fly proudly, even if we know that there's people who are like that on the down low.

You don't need to assume until they shove it in your face and then you take appropriate steps. But Unknown Worlds hasn't done that despite this guy showing them how he thinks directly.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Read through the thread. Stil haven't found a definition of the "discussion" that is allowed here.

The person in question has terrible views. Everyone can agree on that. Nothing to discuss.

Is the discussion then whether the developer should be boycotted? For having one shitty employee? That's pretty aggressive I think. There are practically no productions of entertainment throughout history where at least one crew member wasn't a bad person. Besides, you'd be harming a lot of innocent people with families due to one single bad apple.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Love Subnautica and will continue to support the devs. Sucks this guy made an ass of himself publically.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read it as "Subnautica's sound design is apparently racist and transphobic". I was about to say.

But yeah, there goes that good old "I was just trolling but *says something remarkably racist/sexist anyway*"

I've had an interest in playing this game. Although its a shame they got one nasty employee, I'm sure the rest are decent and perhaps they will act accordingly towards this one. Ideally, anyway.

I'll try not to have it detract from the possibility I play it, although I can't seem to shake what has been said about Kingdom Come: Deliverance every time I hear about it.

Last edited:

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Well, another game to add to the list of games to skip. A real shame.

Indie devs especially need to check the Twitter histories of people they hire.
Just because one person is a dick doesn't mean you should skip an entire game.

You'll be shocked to know that some of the greatest games of all time will have had at least one person on the team who has had some absolutely horrible world views.

Dread

Nov 9, 2017
Ok I need someone to explain something to me, I genuinely don't understand what "discussion" is in this context, the mods said that defense of racism and transphobic behavior is not tolerated but I don't know what that means either, is me saying that I don't think that the transphobic tweet is actually that transphobic because it just looks like a stupid joke to me not allowed? is that considered defending transphobic behavior even if I don't think that particular tweet is transphobic? if that type of discussion is taboo then what else is there to discuss if not shitting on the guy and the devs? I'm not trying to be provocative and I'm honestly searching for an answer but when these threads come up I'm always scared to say anything because people get so aggressive and I don't know how to approach the exchange of opinions without the risk of triggering the whole site, so I ask again, what is the sort of discussion that is allowed?

EXACTLY. Thank you.

This is absolutely the best thing to come out of yet another one of these incidents/threads. Do we want actual, productive discourse that may serve to inform, bolster or sway opinions in a positive way? Or like "thedrunkenchild" asked, is it the mod's intention for these threads to only involve shitting on these people and banning anyone who even breathes in the way that "defenders of such behaviour" would???

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't get the mentality of "you shouldn't boycott this one thing because everything in the world is made by at least one bad person".
Like, why would you not use the information you have accessible and do your best to ethically purchase as often as you feasibly can, if that's something you care about?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EXACTLY. Thank you.

This is absolutely the best thing to come out of yet another one of these incidents/threads. Do we want actual, productive discourse that may serve to inform, bolster or sway opinions in a positive way? Or like "thedrunkenchild" asked, is it the mod's intention for these threads to only involve shitting on these people and banning anyone who even breathes in the way that "defenders of such behaviour" would???

Whose opinion are you trying to sway, and how to purpose to do so without pointing out the inherent racism and transphobia being discussed?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Dude is such a garbage person. Did the team say anything about his behavior? If they're choosing to ignore it or even defend it then that's definitely a bad look. And if choose boycott it due to that then I don't see how that's such a "harsh" reaction like how some people are saying this thread lol

Oh and yeah the team definitely come out and be against his/her views or fire him/her. Didn't something similar happen with the Yooka-Laylee devs when one of the voice actor was found out to be a racist. Dunno why this team can't take a similar stance against this trash unless they support his/her beliefs.

Last edited:

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
Read through the thread. Stil haven't found a definition of the "discussion" that is allowed here.

The person in question has terrible views. Everyone can agree on that. Nothing to discuss.

Is the discussion then whether the developer should be boycotted? For having one shitty employee? That's pretty aggressive I think. There are practically no productions of entertainment throughout history where at least one crew member wasn't a bad person. Besides, you'd be harming a lot of innocent people with families due to one single bad apple.
If you read the thread you'd know that this is in the context of other employees of that company tweeting similarly heinous shit. Also, the developer has a responsibility towards their employees being openly racist.

Btw that saying is actually "one bad apple ruins the bunch".

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EXACTLY. Thank you.

I don't know why there's such an eagerness to defend this sorta behaviour that we see with this guy and the user who was banned in the first thread. The mods here aren't 'banning anyone who even breathes (in italics and bolded, of course) in that way' they're banning people who defend awful, harmful 'jokes' using terrible equations and equivalences.

Why you're so worked up about that is perplexing to me.

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense to me to put a thread together when you're disappointed with someone's publicly expressed views. Given that Subnautica is now having its hard launch, a discussion centered around a member of the dev team who said some vile bullshit is timely. People can draw their own conclusions from there.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

You'll be shocked to know that some of the greatest games of all time will have had at least one person on the team who has had some absolutely horrible world views.
But are they are Twitter making their views plainly known for all? Suspicions are one thing, but someone making their horrible views clear is different.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
EXACTLY. Thank you.

Why don't you read the posts from the guy who was banned in this very topic and the guy who was banned in this topic: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...r-is-apparently-racist-and-transphobic.21139/ and tell me exactly what kind of discussion they were trying to have?

YuriCloud3

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
User warned: A person's humanity can not be boiled down to "life style choices" or "opinions"
And yet. Another thread about the developers choices . Opinion. Sexuality and life choices, and not the games that they make . Before i get the next god of war, i think i should search the past and opinion of all it's developers. The world we live today

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet. Another thread about the developers choices . Opinion. Sexuality and life choices, and not the games that they make . Before i get the next god of war, i think i should search the past and opinion of all it's developers. The world we live today

Calling them life choices is interesting wording. But why wouldn't we talk about this? People should be held accountable for the things they say. That doesn't necessarily mean a boycott of the entire game, but people won't learn if we don't' have conversations about this.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
there is nothing wrong with being interested in the views of creators. this bitching any time someone decides to discuss these things is ridiculous. if you're not interested in discussing it... why pop in the thread?

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
EXACTLY. Thank you.

Explain what "productive discourse" you're looking for. The comments are objectively racist and transphobic, are you looking to dispute that? As stated by another user in this thread, do you plan on telling trans people what is and isn't insulting and offensive to them?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably edit this, someone was perma-banned in the last thread for saying nearly the exact same thing.

I can't and won't boycott this game, it's way too cool and I love survival games

But the studio really needs to release a statement and discipline this employee, at minimum

Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. That's some shitty stuff they said (people from 3rd world countries are going to bring more crime over? Seriously?) but if the game is good, I'll still play it.

Not that I'll play Subnautica, underwater games scare the shit out of me, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

For one, on a indie team like this a single person has a ton more influence over the end product, and they're a clearer direct beneficiary from a sale. Secondly, I already have too many games to play, and things like this simply make it easier to drop items off the list.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A world without knowing how periods work apparently

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 days): There is nothing humorous about a person's gender identity.
Comparing identifying as a woman (for transwomen) to identifying as a helicopter is making a comparison that both are ridiculous. The whole point of the joke is that being an otherkin was ridiculous so they stepped it up to a helicopter to make fun of that. Painting transpeople's identities as being impossible or makebelieve is definitely transphobic.
it was not about it being ridiculous it was about the very large number of possible genders, it's a joke about how many different genders people can identify with. it's like a tall guy joking with a short about being father and son, it's an over exaggeration making fun of reality.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Consumers are free to make informed decisions on how they spend their money and the people they support with the products they buy. Readily available public information that can potentially help people make choices that align with their ethics or values is an issue how?

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is such a garbage person. Did the team say anything about his behavior? If they're choosing to ignore it or even defend it then that's definitely a bad look. And if choose boycott it due to that then I don't see how that's such a "harsh" reaction like how some people are saying this thread lol

Oh and yeah the team definitely come out and be against his views or fire him. Didn't something similar happen with the Yooka-Laylee devs when one of the voice actor was found out to be a racist. Dunno why this team can't take a similar stance against this trash unless they support his beliefs.
You mean the whole Jon Tron thing? Ya he got booted for Yooka-Laylee, but I think he only had a small part anyways, was more as a promotional thing iirc

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017

Being blatantly racist and transphobic is a 'life choice' now?

CrackPebbles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad threads like these exist so I can avoid supporting shitty people.
Same. That poll earlier posted by another member of the team and the subsequent reply are pretty fucking disgusting. Too many good devs out there who don't hold such abhorrent views(at least publicly for all I know) who need support for me to tolerate this nonsense, they get none of my money.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was not about it being ridiculous it was about the very large number of possible genders, it's a joke about how many different genders people can identify with. it's like a tall guy joking with a short about being father and son, it's an over exaggeration making fun of reality.

The very large numbers? It just has cis male/female, trans male/female, and nonbinary. He sees this list and goes for THE joke that people have been using to mock our identities for years now. I'm speaking from experience from how I've seen people use this joke against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.