• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mod Edit: Transphobia and racism are not merely opinions. Defense of such behavior is not tolerated or permitted on this forum.

Mod Edit 2: Do not thread whine.

Mod Edit 3:

https://twitter.com/Sy1K1/status/960587908599103488

----

Edit: The Subnautica devs have since removed this individual from their team.

It's a fairly bad look, especially unfortunate since the game is supposedly quite good.

The purpose of this thread is not to tell people to boycott or avoid this game, it's just to inform and to allow discussion of this topic without it filling the threads discussing the mechanics and gameplay of Subnautica.

The person in question has since privated their Twitter and other accounts, but the game's wiki does refer to them as the sound designer. If there is any more information would be good to see, although so far it doesn't seem like there has been a response from the lead.

DVJyno9VwAAhcdv.jpg
DVJKFRdVMAAw_Dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this stuff's never okay. Good on people for calling her out on this.

Some garbage in the replies unfortunately.

Edit: Apparently it's a dude with an avatar of a woman for... some reason. That actually makes more sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User has been warned: thread whining.
The purpose of this thread is not to tell people to boycott or avoid this game, it's just to inform and to allow discussion of this topic

I mean, what is there actually to discuss? We all know how these threads turn out. Its a few pages of everyone agreeing the person has bad opinions and then it devolves into arguing when one person comes in and sympathizes with those opinions and then the thread gets locked.

What's the point?

Edit: I'm not interested in taking further infractions for thread whining so all I can say is that I don't think you can mandate that the discussion isn't for boycotting, because what else can you really do with this discussion? That's all I'm saying. People are already talking about boycotts in the thread. I would be really surprised if this thread goes anywhere other than what I had described in my first post. I'm not trying to whine about the thread or say that it shouldn't be here, I'm just saying that I personally don't see where this discussion can go other than "Fuck that person then." But maybe I should just keep that opinion to myself seeing as it is infractionable. And I will in the future. Apologies to the moderators and anyone else who was bothered.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe it's a bit off topic, but I don't think anything good discussion wise can come of these threads. Maybe I'm wrong though.

On topic, her views are really bad and she may pay for it in the end by doing this.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a trash fire. Simply dissapointing.

Also its very likely she has already been paid, so if you want to buy the game go ahead, just dont buy the osts. This is just another Dragon Quest situation.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think we need these kinds of threads here to begin with.

I mean, what is there actually to discuss? We all know how these threads turn out. Its a few pages of everyone agreeing the person has bad opinions and then it devolves into arguing when one person comes in and sympathizes with those opinions and then the thread gets locked.

What's the point?

Yeah, maybe it's a bit off topic, but I don't think anything good discussion wise can come of these threads. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It says right in the OP

it's just to inform and to allow discussion of this topic without it filling the threads discussing the mechanics and gameplay of Subnautica.

People here are going to discuss it so it may as well have its own thread instead of every Subnautica topic on the site being diverted to this discussion.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not usually keen on outing people for their racism, but she wanted to make it public, so she should deal with the consequences.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States

On topic, her views are really bad and she may pay for it in the end by doing this.

But it's still good to call it out rather then sit back and accept it as the way of the world. Besides the main point of the thread is to let people know that these devs have some pretty bad views.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
User Banned (1 week): Trolling. Prior warnings for similar behaviour.
I really don't think we need these kinds of threads here to begin with.

Don't you like eWitch Hunts? But they inform my video game purchases which venerates me. Also are you using a computer or phone? Don't you know that enables conflict minerals and factory suicides?

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
When are people going to learn that saying stupid stuff on social media while being employed by a company that has a public image to maintain is not a good idea?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is the term helicopter transphobic?

I've never heard that before.
"I identify as an attack helicopter" is a dumb transphobic meme joke, the idea being if someone can 'feel' that they're a man or a woman, and you have to respect that, then you can feel that you're something absurd and everybody else has to respect that.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
She seems like a dumb, ignorant kid. Shame.

What's the point?

I've often wondered this too. I'm not really sure what there is to discuss, and I can't think of any purpose to informing people that isn't related to ceasing support of the developer at large.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
User has been warned: thread whining
Kind of agree with some posters here. While this behaviour is clearly abhorrent, if the purpose isn't to boycott the game I'm not sure why these threads are made. Reasonable people know that this sort of behaviour isn't acceptable and anyone defending it will be called out. So I'm not sure what discourse this will actually promote other than a lot of people nodding along and saying this person's views are backwards.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not sure what there is to discuss. The sound designer for Subnautica is scum and a terrible excuse for a human.......that's it.

voodew

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just have a shitty developer master thread? Don't really know what's to talk about here other than affirming their views are shitty.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does he/she work as part of the team or was it contract work?

I am asking since, is he/she is a part of the regular team it paints a very disgusting picture on the whole developer team/their studio ideas. But is he/she is just a outside contract worker it's a bit different.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a gay male and person of color I don't see what the endgame by displaying this persons twitter account and place of business if you weren't trying to set up a boycott of some sort.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a member of the team also put up a poll some years ago that was a choice between "have a female character or make the game good"

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
She seems like a dumb, ignorant kid. Shame.

I've often wondered this too. I'm not really sure what there is to discuss, and I can't think of any purpose to informing people that isn't related to ceasing support of the developer at large.

Says it right there in the OP: To let people know that these people have some bad views. Now what people do with that info is up to the person. Some people might be cool with it, others might not want to give people cash who think that they're sub human trash because of where they were born.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Can we just have a shitty developer master thread? Don't really know what's to talk about here other than affirming their views are shitty.
Agreed. There should be a mega thread for people who don't wish to separate artists/designers from their work.

Oct 25, 2017
But it's still good to call it out rather then sit back and accept it as the way of the world. Besides the main point of the thread is to let people know that these devs have some pretty bad views.
I fully get that and understand where you and other members are coming from, for sure. So in a way, I do understand the need for the thread as well.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
bad look! is she full time there or just a contributor?

He.

I will say that his linkedin says he's a full time employee of Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

The game is great, I don't think it should suffer repercussions for the public opinions of a single employee. But the individual itself definitely needs to reconsider what kind of "memes" he puts out online, and how hurtful they can be when thrown out without care like that.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a gay male and person of color I don't see what the endgame by displaying this persons twitter account and place of business if you weren't trying to set up a boycott of some sort.

Is there some reason you chose that qualifier at the beginning of your post?

Agreed. There should be a mega thread for people who don't wish to separate artists/designers from their work.

Ah that makes your post in the other thread make sense

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User has been permanently banned: history of sexism, racism, and transphobia.
Isn't he from Poland? Vastly different ideas on race and gender in eastern Europe.

I don't think we should sentence people over the internet. It's a shame that's what he's throwing out there on the internet but there's no quick fix for this.
Some countries are just lagging behind with social issues. Mostly because well, there's like almost no migrants of any kind living in Poland and they seem to want to keep it that way.
The EU is trying to pressure them with fines and dumb speeches and it's only backfiring and enabling patriotism.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He.

I will say that his linkedin says he's a full time employee of Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

The game is great, I don't think it should suffer repercussions for the public opinions of a single employee. But the individual itself definitely needs to reconsider what kind of "memes" he puts out online, and how hurtful they can be to certain people.

I would hope he'd reconsider his viewpoints more than the memes lol

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Isn't he from Poland? Vastly different ideas on race and gender in eastern Europe.

I don't think we should sentence people over the internet. It's a shame that's what he's throwing out there on the internet but there's no quick fix for this.
Some countries are just lagging behind with social issues. Mostly because well, there's like almost no migrants of any kind living in Poland and they seem to want to keep it that way.
The EU is trying to pressure them with fines and dumb speeches and it's only backfiring and enabling patriotism.
That doesn't make it any less bad.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that person. Add another one to the list, I will be avoiding anything they are a part of. Hopefully they are out of the industry in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.