• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a fairly bad look, especially unfortunate since the game is supposedly quite good.

The purpose of this thread is not to tell people to boycott or avoid this game, it's just to inform and to allow discussion of this topic without it filling the threads discussing the mechanics and gameplay of Subnautica.

The person in question has since privated their Twitter and other accounts, but the game's wiki does refer to them as the sound designer. If there is any more information would be good to see, although so far it doesn't seem like there has been a response from the lead.

DVJyno9VwAAhcdv.jpg
DVJKFRdVMAAw_Dw.jpg

DynamiteCop!

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Transphobia and racism are not merely opinions. Defense of such behaviour is not tolerated or permitted on this forum.
Having different ideals doesn't make you transphobic or racist, it just means you believe something differently than others and don't agree.

I shouldn't have to really point this out, people and their beliefs are inherently different. The moment we start dictating what people need to think is the moment we lose ourselves.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While not really a "The Last Night"(or w/e it was called) situation, its still pretty Yikes!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having different ideals doesn't make you transphobic or racist, it just means you believe something differently than others and don't agree.

I shouldn't have to really point this out, people and their beliefs are inherently different. The moment we start dictating what people need to think is the moment we lose ourselves.
She said racist things. If you have racist beliefs and say racist things, youre a racist.

Also the Helicopter joke is transphobic.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the quoted images says that women are treated terribly in Africa and the Middle East, isn't that correct?

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The IQ and helicopter shit is definitely transphobic and racist. You can argue that's fine or whatever, but it is what it is.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil

You really didn't read anything she wrote, did you?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What in the world?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

"Importing third-world tier IQ" isn't racist in your opinion? That's just a "different ideal"?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
They also made a poll asking if people wanted a female gender option... or a better core game, implying they would both take as much effort.

These devs are trash.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

If those ideals are racist then, uh, woah hold on champ you're a racist

Damn

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You don't get to say that helicopter 'joke' and brush it off as different beliefs or nonsense like that. It's an awful thing to say.

Oct 25, 2017

So if Jimmy down the road has the belief that a certain race is inferior to every other one, that doesn't make him racist in your view, right? Is that what you are saying?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I guess my IQ is third world tier, whatever that's supposed to mean. Some disgusting comments there. Sadly, I'm at a point where I'm not that surprised anymore.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
There is also a lot of crazy Ayn Rand objectivist stuff in the written logs you find throughout the game. It was so over the top and sociopathic I thought it was a joke mocking Randites. Maybe it was genuine? Yikes!

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I don't think that's how it works? If you say racist and transphobic things and believe in those things you say, then it's safe to assume you're racist and transphobic. If I walk down the street yelling "I HATE JEWS" I think it's safe to say that I'm antisemitic. Or would you give someone the benefit of a doubt?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Are people doing background checks on every single developer in credits lists now or was this a spur of the moment catch?

DynamiteCop!

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Yeah, from the game designer. He has since deleted it, but here is a screenshot.

Sz6Elkx.jpg
You can look at it the way you guys have chosen to or the other more obvious way.

They're a small team and resources are limited, they could either extend these limited resources to making a female character in the game or extend these resources to improving the existing game.

Not everything is sinister.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Due to educational inequality in the third world on average you would no doubt find the populous at large to be less intelligent. Also 3rd world doesn't inherently have anything to do with race or minorities.
He's saying that people from third world countries have lower IQ. I don't think he's talking about tourists visiting those countries.

Also, intelligence is not the same as education.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should maintain a blacklist of some sort, don't wanna give my third world iq money to that sick person.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Due to educational inequality in the third world on average you would no doubt find the populous at large to be less intelligent. Also 3rd world doesn't inherently have anything to do with race or minorities.
When talking about people that talk like this, yes it does. to racists(!) all third world people are dark skinned men in turbans holding a gun. Theres no rationality or logic behind their racism. Just hate.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Are people doing background checks on every single developer in credits lists now or was this a spur of the moment catch?

Hey, if you out yourself you out yourself.
People decide to make these things public, if others notice than they can only blame themselves. I don't think people are actively checking though.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh she comes from my country. Sorry, I don't understand either why people with a history of oppression want to opress others. What's funny she doesn't even look like a "pure aryan".

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
What lol? Education has zero to do with IQ.

Third world could be looked at as a dog whistle as third world countries are populous with people who are considered minorities in the western world.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can look at it the way you guys have chosen to or the other more obvious way.

They're a small team and resources are limited, they could either extend these limited resources to making a female character in the game or extend these resources to improving the existing game.

Not everything is sinister.

Going to bat for racism, transphobia and now false equalivancy. You doing work today, son

Status
Not open for further replies.