Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and if that's the case it only serves to justify those wanting to boycott the entire company.

assuming they didn't know about this person already, the studio has now been made aware of it so they realistically have 2 choices...they either stand by the person who is being openly shitty, and thus by extension making the company equally shitty. or they do something about it and distance themselves from shitty people with shitty views.

we'll see which one they pick.
Exactly, how they respond will tell you all you need to know.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or soy boy...

Seriously those assholes not only eat, they actively promote the fucking thing on their terrible shows and have the nerve to say that soy makes you ''less of a man''' or some shit.

maxresdefault-10.jpg

Oops.
People like him make me wonder if most of those types of persons aren't just trolling to make money on rubes. I mean, I remember when he was starting he was into some really bizzare conspiracy theories. If one believes that crap as much as he seemed to be, I don't see how he could make a switch to "right-wing rationalist" persona that he now presents. I mean, he still can say some dumb things, but they're nowhere near the leve lf crazy he used to spout. It just seems very convienient when he switched when one horse was dying and Trumpism was becoming a booming industry.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (24 Hours): Hostility/attempted derail with a complaint about moderation. If you have any concerns about a ban or warning, speak to a member of staff.
Miyamoto was an extreme example in this case. So instead lets pick random anonymous sound designer person at Nintendo. Would opinions from him or her along those lines make everything Nintendo has done and does bad?

I would not say he is normalizing anything. People who care enought will still question and opose him. Silencing opinions is cencorship and to forcingly impose moral values on society is not a good thing.

Calling people trash is not okay. It is as simple as that. It does not matter if you do not like him or his opinions. He is still a normal human being.

Why not instead have an open talk with the guy and try to let him speak out and explain his words?

And for the record I agree with you that racist and transphobic opinions are offensive and it's sad to see people express them. Never the less. I don't want them silenced or cencored in any way because pretending they don't excist is even worse.

Ok yes, that I buy.

What a pathetic ban

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this train of thought and will never understand why the whole "you are a representative" is a thing. Just because I work somewhere for 7 hours a day doesn't mean EVERYTHING I say should be stamped with the companies fucking logo. Surely It's not hard to separate the two.

Social media has fucked society so badly. Because of topics like this, people on this forum are going to see the name 'Subnautica' and automatically tie it with the word 'Racist'.

This has been a thing since forever though. Children represent their parents, students represent their schools, and employees' behavior reflects on their employer. You are considered a representative of the company you work for, so if it turns out that you are an awful person with hateful views, the company is expected to get rid of you. Because if they don't, then people will assume that those awful opinions are actually held by the company itself.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (24 Hours): Attempted derail with a complaint about moderation. Previously warned/banned for inappropriate behaviour. If you have any concerns about a ban or warning, speak to a member of staff.
Miyamoto was an extreme example in this case. So instead lets pick random anonymous sound designer person at Nintendo. Would opinions from him or her along those lines make everything Nintendo has done and does bad?

I would not say he is normalizing anything. People who care enought will still question and opose him. Silencing opinions is cencorship and to forcingly impose moral values on society is not a good thing.

Calling people trash is not okay. It is as simple as that. It does not matter if you do not like him or his opinions. He is still a normal human being.

Why not instead have an open talk with the guy and try to let him speak out and explain his words?

And for the record I agree with you that racist and transphobic opinions are offensive and it's sad to see people express them. Never the less. I don't want them silenced or cencored in any way because pretending they don't excist is even worse.

Ok yes, that I buy.

Wait why was this guy banned? How is he defending racism and transphobia and doubling down on it? what the eff?

Free speech isnt a thing on Era I guess.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It think they know what they spout is bullshit. Their fans are just too stupid to figure it out.

A good chunk of these alt-right figures are just scam artist's making money off a political movement, nothing more.
I mean, yes, but at the same time is hilarious to me to see someone who basically perpetrated the ''soy conspiracy'' to be actively selling the thing to people who can't seem to read the back of a box. Not only that a thing that they even created a dumb pejorative out of.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait why was this guy banned? How is he defending racism and transphobia and doubling down on it? what the eff?

How is he not defending racism and transphobia? That whole point is literally him trying to defend the devs obviously racist and transphobic tweets/messages

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, I didn't think I needed to explain this, but here goes. Transphobia and racism aren't "opinions" They're views that can be directly linked to discrimination and violence that minorities face. Their words and actions have consequences for some of us, as minorities. And wanting to hold him accountable for bigoted views, and the consequences of them, isn't censorship. In his other post in this thread, he even said that we were slandering this guy openly.

Mattchew

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
This has been a thing since forever though. Children represent their parents, students represent their schools, and employees' behavior reflects on their employer. You are considered a representative of the company you work for, so if it turns out that you are an awful person with hateful views, the company is expected to get rid of you. Because if they don't, then people will assume that those awful opinions are actually held by the company itself.

This absolutely should not be a thing though. Would you hold a company like Microsoft, with its millions of employees, to the same standard?
I bet you 10 quid that at least one Nazi sympathizer works for McDonalds - doesn't mean they're the fourth reich.

It's a very American way of viewing a company which is unfortunately spreading across the world.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he is defending anyone especially because he says this

He just thinks people who think this way should be reasoned with, instead of acting like they don't exist and not have a dialogue with these kind of people with these horrible opinions.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This absolutely should not be a thing though. Would you hold a company like Microsoft, with its millions of employees, to the same standard?
I bet you 10 quid that at least one Nazi sympathizer works for McDonalds - doesn't mean they're the fourth reich.

It's a very American way of viewing a company which is unfortunately spreading across the world.

I don't think McDonald's, of all companies, is going to wring their hands about firing someone who can tarnish their brand. They've long prided themselves on being family friendly, they're incredibly visible, and their workforce is highly disposable.

He just thinks people who think this way should be reasoned with, instead of acting like they don't exist and not have a dialogue with these kind of people with these horrible opinions.

His complaint was that people were calling transphobes trash. How is that silencing them? That's just responding to their opinion.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a private message board. Of course free speech isn't a thing here. Do you know what free speech is?

Yes that within reason you are able to voice your opinion without fear of getting arrested by a certain government or institution.

Just because this is a private message board doesn't mean you should be able to fly Nazi flags or some shit like that. But we should be able to discuss things like normal human beings.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
When did the sound designer put his/her twitter on private? Has he/she commented about this thread?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Where do people come to this forum with this idea? That it's ok to accept transphobia, or sexism, or racism or whatever else? I've seen this so much lately. Like, do you people not know the context of what born this forum? Do you see who's on the mod team and what they represented back on gaf? For real? You didn't think this place would have a super hard stance on comments of ill nature that antagonize and materialize in discrimination against women/lgbtq/all else?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wasnt trying to start anything. The only thing I tried was to defend the game and the people who worked on the game besides the assholes. :\

Ahem:
Condemning the entire game and the entire work of the development team of Subnautica for this individuals actions/views is incredibly ill mannered. Saying "fuck this game" or "fuck the team" is ridiculous.

Should I condemn you if your boss or co-worker turned out to be a racist? Are you going to quit your job everytime its revealed that in your workplace theres a racist person?

Here you go below some quotes and I could go on since there are more that are less obvious but very insinuating. Feel free not to buy the game, but boycotting and putting the other team in the same boat is not cool, that was my point, and it never changed.

I realize some of this comes from your misunderstanding of the word "boycott", which was really unfortunate.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you read his only other post in this thread to see what he was doubling down on?

No matter the guys opinions he is still entitled to have them, and it does not make him trash. I've seen the same tendencies in many threads like this one to quickly call persons out as "trash" or "human scum".
How is this okay? People are not allowed to thread wine, but to slander another person openly, that is considered fine?

I'm sorry, like I said, I might be very out of the social rights loop here and I really mean no offence. But I just cannot understand how (excuse me) vile some of the comments in these kind of threads are. People are trash? Really?..

Its pretty much just defending the guy.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

What do do you mean by free speech? You can't just say any terrible thing without repercussion. We have mods here for that. If you're talking Freedom of Speech, that doesn't apply to private web forums either.

This notion that you can say any dumb thing without recourse on a private web site specifically created for productive discourse is greatly mislead.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The humanity of black people and transpersons is not up for debate.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you don't have common sense to not express them publicly then you're a liabilty to their brand. Save your shitty opinions for home.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Murder rate in his country is higher than my country which is in the ME. its also very funny, what he said about IQ... my uncle grew up as a refugee with a "very" harsh circumstances, and yet he later took his PHD from MIT in regional development and spent his life teaching other people in many countries, i don't think this sound engineer has a higher IQ.
what he said is stupid and racist, there is no race with a higher "IQ" than the other, but there is different circumstances that determines a lot of things.. and there is people suffering from war and war crimes. those innocent people deserve to live and to have human rights. above all that, what he said is also wrong, bad people (which exist everywhere) can be "reshaped" and become better with guidance and education.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When they pop their heads out from their fellow employees and publicly spew abhorrent racist shit then the company has a responsibility to remove that employee otherwise it's likely a part of their work-culture.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you have an issue with a staff decision, contact staff instead of shitting up the thread by acting all offended about us allegedly censoring your fru speach. Transphobia and racism are not simply Opinions™, period.

Expect harsh treatment for doing the above.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or soy boy...

Seriously those assholes not only eat, they actively promote the fucking thing on their terrible shows and have the nerve to say that soy makes you ''less of a man''' or some shit.

maxresdefault-10.jpg

Oops.

The hilarious thing about Soyboy is it's just recycled Republican fearmongering from the 80s/90s when they started using soy as filler in certain foods. It wasn't called Soyboy then, but it was the same concept, supposedly soy was going to turn all of us boys into girls and was a conspiracy. When you look at lot of conservative/right wing stuff, a lot of it is old battle flags a younger generation keeps picking back up off the ground thinking they're onto something new, and it's just an old tattered Rush Limbaugh script.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Again with this strawman argument - people are not saying that one person holding certain views means that everyone or even a significant proportion at the company holds those views. However, one can certainly judge that company by how it deals with someone who publicly expresses racist or transphobic views while identifying themselves as an employee.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Well that too but the size of the company would still matter because a billion dollar global corporation wouldn't think twice about firing a sound designer, who's public views may tarnish their brand, no matter how good he/she was.
Of course, and with it being a small company it'll be interesting to see the response. It's a damn shame because the game is fantastic (bought in Jan 16) and it's been a pleasure to watch it grow, but those tweets are disgusting, and surely, even top tier audio bloke, has to go.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Murder rate in his country is higher than my country which is in the ME. its also very funny, what he said about IQ... my uncle grew up as a refugee with a "very" harsh circumstances, and yet he later took his PHD from MIT in regional development and spent his life teaching other people in many countries, i don't think this sound engineer has a higher IQ.
what he said is stupid and racist, there is no race with a higher "IQ" than the other, but there is different circumstances that determines a lot of things.. and there is people suffering from war and war crimes. those innocent people deserve to live and to have human rights. above all that, what he said is also wrong, bad people (which exist everywhere) can be "reshaped" and become better with guidance and education.
Exactly. People are people. Unequal results come from unequal circumstances.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, not a single person in this thread says the company holds the same views as him. Stop arguing against the imaginary strawman you've created.
Also, i'd fully expect if someone from Microsoft or McDonalds was caught publicly arguing for Nazism to be fucking fired on the spot as it should be.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

That's not what I was arguing though. I'm saying that if a company finds out that one of their employees harbors actively awful views and is airing them out in public, then it is that company's responsibility to reprimand or fire that employee. Inaction should be seen as complicity. Period. If the employee doesn't like that then tough shit.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's also the fact that IQ tests are bullshit and more of a test of how well you know western customs, idioms, and cultural concepts than any actual mark of intelligence.

It's kinda of like when people think someone that is illiterate is a dumb person. I used to volunteer for a literacy center and still have a family member that works there. We had people we were teaching literacy to with high school diplomas and had solid jobs. They just learned to use their 'street smarts' and 'people smarts' to overcome their illiteracy through life. There is an author who was illiterate and was a teacher that graduated college while still being illiterate.

Oct 30, 2017
If you have an issue with a staff decision, contact staff instead of shitting up the thread by acting all offended about us allegedly censoring your fru speach. Transphobia and racism are not simply Opinions™, period.

Expect harsh treatment for doing the above.
Thumbs up on this. Crazy to see people arguing that it's just his differing opinion, or that hey, he's from Poland, so it's cool. It doesn't matter where he's from, he's an asshole spreading hate, end of story.
I'm friends with a bunch of Polish expats here, and none of them say this shit or think like this. It's not a Polish thing, it's a hate thing.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what I was arguing though. I'm saying that if a company finds out that one of their employees harbors actively awful views and is airing them out in public, then it is that company's responsibility to reprimand or fire that employee. Inaction should be seen as complicity. Period. If the employee doesn't like that then tough shit.
It's not necessarily that simple , if the employee does it in the context of his work or in a way that directly involves or harms the company you might be in your right to fire him.
When it's mostly unrelated to the company like here things can get a bit more complicated particularly taking into account that laws can vary widely from one country to another.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would be more interesting if instead of everyone trying to outdo each other in every instance where there is some kind of racism involved to have people exactly examine where these feelings are coming from rather then calling people filth, trash and scum.

Maybe understanding where these emotions come from could lead to a solution, because just yelling here won't solve anything.

So for example, why is he so upset about immigrants from muslim countries, what does he really mean with "importing their crime rate and IQ". Where is this anxiousness coming from?

Just yelling "asshole" will make people like him double down on their opinions, if you think about it, this kind of approach is exactly why Hillary lost to Trump as well.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I bought this back when it was fairly new in Early Access so there's not much I can do there but I was considering it as a gift for my brothers who are really into survival games and both recently upgraded their PCs. Just speaking personally here but there are so many high quality games out there that I'll think I'll use my money to support a developer who openly harbors hateful, racist, or transphobic views.
Does Subnautica have a really passionate fanbase or something?
Not especially, no.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thumbs up on this. Crazy to see people arguing that it's just his differing opinion, or that hey, he's from Poland, so it's cool. It doesn't matter where he's from, he's an asshole spreading hate, end of story.
I'm friends with a bunch of Polish expats here, and none of them say this shit or think like this. It's not a Polish thing, it's a hate thing.

You said it yourself, expats.

Half of Poland (in Poland) agrees with this man to a large extent.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be more interesting if instead of everyone trying to outdo each other in every instance where there is some kind of racism involved to have people exactly examine where these feelings are coming from rather then calling people filth, trash and scum.

Maybe understanding where these emotions come from could lead to a solution, because just yelling here won't solve anything.

So for example, why is he so upset about immigrants from muslim countries, what does he really mean with "importing their crime rate and IQ". Where is this anxiousness coming from?

Just yelling "asshole" will make people like him double down on their opinions, if you think about it, this kind of approach is exactly why Hillary lost to Trump as well.

Where does it come from? It comes from him thinking that other races are more violent because they're dumber than he is through nature. That his race is superior in some way. It comes from an extreme prejudice against another race. Sure, education should be the ultimate goal. But at the same time, you can't really blame the people that he's insulting for just existing for calling him an asshole either.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not necessarily that simple , if the employee does it in the context of his work or in a way that directly involves or harms the company you might be in your right to fire him.
When it's mostly unrelated to the company like here things can get a bit more complicated particularly taking into account that laws can vary widely from one country to another.
At at least in the UK this would be a pretty clear cut case of bringing the company into disrepute and therefore grounds for disciplinary action. If they find it to be gross misconduct, then dismissal is entirely reasonable.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned one week: defending racism by generalizing a country as racist.
Actually it comes from people in Poland not wanting to accept muslim immigrants because they do not want a multi cultural society, they want to keep it largely as it is. They fear the creation of ghettos like in France where riots erupt, terrorism like in countries with a large muslim population (Uk, France, Spain).
They have seen some aspects of what muslim immigration brings across Europe and they want none of it.

These are the things the left should try to address and discuss, not just call people out without solutions.

Of course the irony is that they would get along great with radical muslims in many aspects as the Catholiban is already in charge in Poland, banning abortion and making sure gods word is heeded.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm...going to take issue with that. We know exactly what the "anxiety" is. A year's worth of studies have shown that the highest correlation when determining why people voted for Trump over Hillary was whether or not that person subconsciously harbored racist views: https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/15/16781222/trump-racism-economic-anxiety-study

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually it comes from people in Poland not wanting to accept muslim immigrants because they do not want a multi cultural society, they want to keep it largely as it is. They fear the creation of ghettos like in France where riots erupt, terrorism like in countries with a large muslim population (Uk, France, Spain).
They have seen some aspects of what muslim immigration brings across Europe and they want none of it.

These are the things the left should try to address and discuss, not just call people out without solutions.

Of course the irony is that they would get along great with radical muslims in many aspects as the Catholiban is already in charge in Poland, banning abortion and making sure gods word is heeded.
Yes, so racism and bigotry are the motivating factors.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actual studies show that merely pointing out actual, proven and verifiable facts make these kinds of people still double down. These people have no cure.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where does it come from? It comes from him thinking that other races are more violent because they're dumber than he is through nature. That his race is superior in some way. It comes from an extreme prejudice against another race. Sure, education should be the ultimate goal. But at the same time, you can't really blame the people that he's insulting for just existing for calling him an asshole either.
That is what I don't understand about the arguments of some of these posters. If the guy has extremely horrible and reprehensible thoughts (that he is advocating for and shouting to the world to see on a open space) he is ok to show that. But if we state our disgust about those things and express our desire to not give monetary support to a person like that that's somehow crossing a line?

Status
Not open for further replies.