• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the scuffle of moving sites it seems suburbicon has come out with a 33% on rotten tomatoes.

Has anyone seen it and can attest it's that bad? Trailers looked pretty interesting, like a more artistic take on the death wish idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
During the scuffle of moving sites it seems suburbicon has come out with a 33% on rotten tomatoes.

Has anyone seen it and can attest it's that bad? Trailers looked pretty interesting, like a more artistic take on the death wish idea.

One of the reviewers I read called it "microwaved Cohen bros. if the microwave stopped working halfway through the heat cycle."

Gotta find the review again, but that's a great idea of what to expect.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Definitely plan on watching it to find out. This margin of movie can either prove inconsistently quirky or incompetently flat and I'm looking forward to it being the first. It will depend on the execution and how well the Coens' language is translated by Clooney and co., of course; I've heard conflicted reports.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Never been much a fan of Clooney as a director, so this warmed over Soderbergh/Coen affection from the trailers didn't get me excited.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If after looking at the cast, you're confused how the movie could be bad, look at the director. Clooney is hit or miss.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
I had high hopes ever since I saw the trailer. The reviews sting, but thank god for MoviePass.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw the trailer I thought "hmm this actually seems kinda interesting, I wonder why I haven't heard of this til now and why is it reviewing so poorly?" Then I noticed it was directed by George Clooney and it all clicked into place.

This seems exactly like another Monuments Men situation. You take an amazing cast, some competent writers, and probably not even a terrible editor and you still get a dud of a movie when you have a director who just doesn't quite get it. Clooney's made some decent-good films, but if anything he's been getting worse over time rather than better.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I wanted this to be good, the trailer intrigued me, but even the trailer felt a little bit all over the place, so I'm not totally surprised its turned out to be not so great, shame Oscar Isaac's character looked great in the trailer.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
When I first saw the trailer I thought "hmm this actually seems kinda interesting, I wonder why I haven't heard of this til now and why is it reviewing so poorly?" Then I noticed it was directed by George Clooney and it all clicked into place.

This seems exactly like another Monuments Men situation. You take an amazing cast, some competent writers, and probably not even a terrible editor and you still get a dud of a movie when you have a director who just doesn't quite get it. Clooney's made some decent-good films, but if anything he's been getting worse over time rather than better.
Man, Monuments Men. That's a movie that should have been much better than what it was. I don't think I ever got around to watching the whole thing, but I always thought it had so much potential. I forgot Clooney directed it. Explains a lot.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Monuments Men. That's a movie that should have been much better than what it was. I don't think I ever got around to watching the whole thing, but I always thought it had so much potential. I forgot Clooney directed it. Explains a lot.

So the question is, has he directed a good movie yet?

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident Matt Damon can elevate a movie beyond its actual worth.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Verdict from those who seen it? Wondering if I should use moviepass on this or something else.

TommyT

Oct 25, 2017
TX
Heard Ann Hornaday's review the other day, not good from how she described it. Tend to agree on her non-action movie choices. Won't be seeing this in the theaters.

Edit: to expound, she mentioned the movie took a drastic shift after the election outcome, and suffered greatly for it.

Last edited:

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I dont want to spoil it but they are really hiding a lot of the plot from the trailers. I listened to the NPR review of it yesterday and it has some very serious racial situations that they are dealing with. Which the reviewer felt (and it seems like many would agree) doesnt have a place in Coen style comedy.

That sounds like it was very tough to pull off and they didnt succeed.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The movie advertised in the trailer is not the movie you get. It's not good. I paid with a moviepass. So I wouldn't say I regret it, I will say I won't remember it and the reviews were spot on. I was disappointed because I saw bad reviews as early as I first saw the trailer, but hoped I would have my own, different opinion. I didn't.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
haha the trailer is totally misleading, not in a bad way except that it shows way too much.

But the story i got is not the one i was expecting. Overall the movie was a dud but cant complain because of movie pass. If you have movie pass, its not bad, but if you have to pay, dont bother.

from the trailer i was totally looking forward to rooting for matt damon against the bad guys who messed up his family. But nope, you hate him almost immediately as you realize he paid to have his wife killed with her sister. And the racism subplot felt like it didnt go anywhere. It was just thrown into the movie and had no bearing or weight on any of the main characters. oscar isaac was dope though until he turns into a POS as well trying to extort them.

I thought the little kid was pretty good though. He showed good emotion i felt.

overall 5/10 imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'll echo what others have said that this movie isn't really all that great. Clooney just doesn't have what it takes to handle a Coen brothers story and script. To make matters worse, the trailers essentially spoil what happens to one of the main characters. Honestly, I think the movie the trailers present would probably be better than the bait-and-switch film we got. And the subplot just goes absolutely nowhere. I was scratching my head the whole time wondering what the point of it was.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it and its the most terrible of film crimes: Its just bland and boring. The trailer sets up a Fallen style "mild mannered guy goes on a revenge storm when his back is to the wall" and its not that AT ALL. Its like 2-3 stories that never really interconnect and are all pretty meaningless anyways.

There is a story about racism in the 50s that is handled extremely poorly. With better writers it could have been interwoven as an interesting part of the story but it is just so hamfisted and poorly written that you feel bad for the actors involved in that storyline, who are given virtually nothing to work with and its almost like background scenery almost.

I didn't actively squirm and cringe while watching it, it was fairly interesting on screen and the actors were good and both Moore and Damon have some great scenes, especially Damon near the end, but at the end you're just like "... thats it?" and you realize it was just a waste of 90 mins.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being excited for this film when it was initially teased, figured it had the potential to be one of those under-the-radar gems... Very disappointed by the impressions / reviews.

Luckily, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is right around the corner and should satisfy that indie / dark comedy itch!