• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
in conjunciton to a particular form of media shelf in the living room.
Upgrading my living room with an Ikea Vittsjö 3meter shelf for the television
f76e943929267bef6b6167c016dbaa7b4360ce68.jpg

73909986-new_floorplan-first_floor-first_design-20200229131354.jpg

vittsjoe-tv-storage-combination-black-brown-glass__0754497_PE747948_S5.JPG

I have a soundbar and subwoofer with the tv, but I dont think I want to place the sub ON the actual shelf. Vittsjös are strutbased shelves and I imagine the shelf itself will not take kindly to the bass coming out of the cube so to speak...

Where is the best place in this room to place the sub and why?

Where I have it now is besides the old (current) tv-shelf on the floor to the right side of where the tv is. On that pic the old tv-shelf is the brown wide thing closes to the camera to the right of the image and to the left of the other lone Vittsjö.

Last edited:

mupepe

Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The best place is determined by the design of the room and so varies. Try it in different spots until the bass doesn't seem to be coming from any particular direction.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Top left corner. Mostly for aesthetics, and if you were to put it on the right, someone coming into the room might not see it and trip over it.

If it's rear ported, don't put it flush against the wall; leave a couple of inches.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Upper left corner seems to be the perfect spot. Anywhere out of the way on the floor is good though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend the traditional "sub woofer crawl." TLDR: Put the sub in your normal listening spot, then crawl around potential placement spots in the room until you find where it sounds best (not just loudest, but depth, loudness, and tightness.)

www.audioholics.com

Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement Tips

Do the Subwoofer Crawl. It's the easiest way to find the proper placement location for your subwoofer to get the best performance and sound.

As mentioned in this lifehacker article "The reason you crawl on the floor is because, when you switch places with the subwoofer, its going to be on the floor—not 5 feet up the air. If you walk around the room upright, you'll hear it from the wrong relative position, and you might put it in the wrong spot "

Use the

We've mentioned some speaker placement rules for achieving optimal sound before , but the subwoofer can be a different beast altogether. Weblog Audio

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Posts above nailed it, corner that sucker and do the old fashioned crawl.

Audioholics is a tremendous resource.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd recommend the traditional "sub woofer crawl." TLDR: Put the sub in your normal listening spot, then crawl around potential placement spots in the room until you find where it sounds best (not just loudest, but depth, loudness, and tightness.)

www.audioholics.com

Do the Subwoofer Crawl. It's the easiest way to find the proper placement location for your subwoofer to get the best performance and sound.

As mentioned in this lifehacker article "The reason you crawl on the floor is because, when you switch places with the subwoofer, its going to be on the floor—not 5 feet up the air. If you walk around the room upright, you'll hear it from the wrong relative position, and you might put it in the wrong spot "

Use the

We've mentioned some speaker placement rules for achieving optimal sound before , but the subwoofer can be a different beast altogether. Weblog Audio
Bingo.

OP
OP
obin_gam

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
hehe that sound kinda fun actually might try that!

Is it true that subwoofers use walls as sort of amplifiers? Or is that just a "myth"?
No space on the trunk of your car?
Jebus krist the horror! I hate those kinds of people :P

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

www.audioholics.com

Use the

Yeah, this IS the best way to go as far as getting the most optimal sound. Kind of a pain in the ass, and the results might show that the sub would be best in a less than convenient spot, but for pure sound quality, it's the way to go.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Does the direction of where the driver is pointing in sub itself (down firing, front firing or side firing) matter where one places a subwoofer?