• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima is definitely the more interesting looking project here in nearly all ways, but it's a shame that Sucker Punch kinda abandoned verticality in level design almost entirely. Infamous 1 and 2 really feel like successful open-world platformers (it's tremendously fun just to navigate around those cities); Infamous Second Son is less so only insofar as the additional power sets make platforming a completely thoughtless process (and none of them feel as good as the electric grinding stuff from Infamous 1/2), and Ghost of Tsushima has very little platforming at all. It's a shame because Sucker Punch is actually very good at that stuff, and it looks like Prophecy would have had, at least, more of that than GoT has.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sony Ninjas are fast... I was watching that mp4 clip... then after 75% through, I pause for a sec
... and then it doesn't work anymore. I wonder if it would have finished if I didn't pause it. Oh Well, not a big deal.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
For the entire Demo i expected some crazy Magic shit to happen, but it kinda never did. The super advanced Alchemy was the USP i feel like and that didn't hit at all sadly. Don't see The Order Comparisons. That was more interesting in Concept, it just didn't execute it really well.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
You can defintely see which ideas carried over to GoT, and Sucker Punch made the right call in the end to go with that game instead of this one. Some of the concepts seem intriguing but would it have been enough to keep players interested?

Sucker Punch are no strangers to sticking to one gritty, dark city as Empire City in the first Infamous was like that. But going with the bright, vibrant nature of Ghost stands out even more, and at the time they started to work on Ghost not too many games tackled Feudal Japan.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to know how long they worked on this game. Maybe SP didn't spend 6 years on GoT. Maybe it was more like 4.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Is that Delsin's brother's face model being recycled for a couple of characters? Cool to see what tech made it to GoT like the sweat for example.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah! Another game that makes me way more excited for PS5 than I ever was for PS4. I wish I could have played the VR game, but I never had access to it.
I get what you are trying to say, and do believe you are being legit with your criticism. I think the pushback you are getting however is because those games still do come out. They just aren't really propped up to the forefront like they used to be and maybe not as often. I'm not really gonna get into the list thing here, but they definitely have put out some of those experiences you are talking about and it hasn't all been AAA blockbuster, its just those aren't really the focal point anymore of the marketing.

You should definitely try Astrobot someday though it is a great game.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Every AAA game looks like Assassin's Creed now based on threads, even when it clearly looks like a knock off Uncharted.

Oct 24, 2019
Actually, there is. Games like The Order, Days Gone, The Last of Us parts 1 and 2, The Uncharteds, God of War, and Death Stranding basically all had some combination of the things I said. But anyway, look: Sony's first party PS4 games just aren't for me. I miss the more creative, colourful games that came out of like, Japan Studio and whatever. The photoreal over-the-shoulder stuff just doesn't appeal to me at all.

They've still been making those.

LittleBigPlanet 3, Knack 1 & 2, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Gravity Rush 2, Concrete Genie, Dreams, MediEvil remake, etc. all came out this gen, not to mention stuff on the horizon like Sackboy: A Big Adventure

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
No wonder why Sony got so few games from its own studios this gen. Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, Bend and Guerrilla had canceled projects... Media Molecule also rebooted Dreams two times before its "final form".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can defintely see which ideas carried over to GoT, and Sucker Punch made the right call in the end to go with that game instead of this one. Some of the concepts seem intriguing but would it have been enough to keep players interested?

Sucker Punch are no strangers to sticking to one gritty, dark city as Empire City in the first Infamous was like that. But going with the bright, vibrant nature of Ghost stands out even more, and at the time they started to work on Ghost not too many games tackled Feudal Japan.

Does Tsushima even have any major settlements or is it all just camps and temples?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on google search it seems the leaker is one of Infamous SS's character modelers. Whoops.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems the source was 4chan.

/v/ - Looks like I found cancelled new IP from Sucker Punch - Video Games - 4chan

Looks like I found cancelled new IP from Sucker Punch - "/v/ - Video Games" is 4chan's imageboard dedicated to the discussion of PC and console video games.

Interesting. When I check credits for ghost of tsushima, I found name of former character art lead of sucker Punch - Max Chapman. I google his portfolio and found this site: https://mmaaxx3d.com/
When I check site I found this: https://mmaaxx3d.com/phrophesy.html
Looks like there was parallel in development of Ghost of Tsushima was developed another assassin's creed like openworld - "Prophecy" that mostly looks like cancelled.
There is a trailer of Prophecy: https://mmaaxx3d.com/assets/vertcle_slice_v46f_0115.mp4
Assets: https://mmaaxx3d.com/p3d.html
And no, this is not a joke, it's a real guy, not clickbait, proof is that resume: https://mmaaxx3d.com/assets/resume_2016.pdf
Just something a dude had on his website lol.
They look of comparable quality to the "big" cutscenes in GoT (ie beginning of the game, end of Act 1, etc).
That's like two cut-scenes, man. Everything else had had the most basic blocking and mocap work.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
This comes from the personal site of a character artist at Sucker Punch. The video file itself might have some clues as to when this was made. The filename is vertcle_slice_v46f_0115, which implies that this is a vertical slice and might give us a date. "0115" could be January 2015 or January 15th of some year. The latter is backed up by the "Media Created" tag in the file which says it was created January 15th, 2016. Sucker Punch's last game before Ghosts of Tsushima was Infamous: First Light which came out in late August 2014. Games usually go gold about a month before release, so let's say late July, early August. Sucker Punch has mentioned experimenting with multiple pitches before landing on Ghosts of Tsushima. This is likely one. Sucker Punch Co-Founder Brian Fleming said this about early explorations for the game that would become Ghosts of Tsushima:

Early on, we concluded that we wanted to build a large, open world experience — and one that featured melee combat. But beyond that we were uncertain. Pirates? Rob Roy? The Three Musketeers? All these were considered — but we kept coming back to feudal Japan and telling the story of a samurai warrior

Interestingly, in December of 2015, Sony Worldwide Studios Game Development Head Scott Rohde said this about Sucker Punch's next project:

With regard to Sucker Punch, Rohde confirmed he has played the studio's next game, saying "it's fun" but still in the early stages of development.

If the "Media Created" date is accurate, he may have played this.

Also, the artist uploaded a handful of renders to his site as well. There's the main character (who might be named Abel according to one of the file names):

UC1JJkT.jpg

WqbO116.jpg

mZVIn8Q.jpg

eEo2qLO.png

sUcNVzb.jpg

Also, monsters:

FkQU8ND.jpg

H3pGVHy.jpg

dmSHr01.jpg

YvIo9Bu.jpg

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think this suffered a lot of timing problems. They started developing after Second son right? back in 2014-15 people were very burned out of assassins creed. Not to mention The Order flopped. I can understand why the higher ups decided to cancel it.

I bet it sucks for the artists, its a shame it got canceled. I'm glad we got tsushima tho.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

/v/ - Looks like I found cancelled new IP from Sucker Punch - Video Games - 4chan

Looks like I found cancelled new IP from Sucker Punch - "/v/ - Video Games" is 4chan's imageboard dedicated to the discussion of PC and console video games.

That's like two cut-scenes, man. Everything else had had the most basic blocking and mocap work.
I hope he doesn't get in trouble

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Right but I'm just saying the ones here aren't better and we don't know if we would have that much more of it. It's like judging GoT's performance capture based on the official trailers that just showcase the major scenes where all of the budget went.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
This comes from the personal site of a character artist at Sucker Punch. The video file itself might have some clues as to when this was made. The filename is vertcle_slice_v46f_0115, which implies that this is a vertical slice and might give us a date. "0115" could be January 2015 or January 15th of some year. The latter is backed up by the "Media Created" tag in the file which says it was created January 15th, 2016. Sucker Punch's last game before Ghosts of Tsushima was Infamous: First Light which came out in late August 2014. Games usually go gold about a month before release, so let's say late July, early August. Sucker Punch has mentioned experimenting with multiple pitches before landing on Ghosts of Tsushima. This is likely one. Sucker Punch Co-Founder Brian Fleming said this about early explorations for the game that would become Ghosts of Tsushima:

Interestingly, in December of 2015, Sony Worldwide Studios Game Development Head Scott Rohde said this about Sucker Punch's next project:

If the "Media Created" date is accurate, he may have played this.

Also, the artist uploaded a handful of renders to his site as well. There's the main character (who might be named Abel according to one of the file names):

UC1JJkT.jpg

WqbO116.jpg

mZVIn8Q.jpg

eEo2qLO.png

sUcNVzb.jpg

Also, monsters:

FkQU8ND.jpg

H3pGVHy.jpg

dmSHr01.jpg

YvIo9Bu.jpg
He looks like Lfayette
scot-andreason-laf-infiltration-portrait.jpg

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Wow, this looks amazing, too bad it was canceled.

I think Ghost of Tsushima is a cool game, but personally i find this way more interesting. The world gives me a Thief vibe.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Oh boy, whole website is dead. Hope the guy isn't in too much trouble

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Looked like any number of Fantasy novels - sort of steampunk with light magic to uncover a secret deep under the once-great city. Could have been interesting.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you are trying to say, and do believe you are being legit with your criticism. I think the pushback you are getting however is because those games still do come out. They just aren't really propped up to the forefront like they used to be and maybe not as often. I'm not really gonna get into the list thing here, but they definitely have put out some of those experiences you are talking about and it hasn't all been AAA blockbuster, its just those aren't really the focal point anymore of the marketing.

You should definitely try Astrobot someday though it is a great game.
I definitely do want to play Astrobot at some point! Maybe if PSVR 2 on PS5 (if that even exists) treats my motion sickness any better, or there's a non-VR version, I'll check it out!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Video is unavailable even on Youtube, but the other link works.

" This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MUSO TNT LTD"
damn, I even played the video in my browser before I posted this lol, I just went back to the beginning but I had already had it open.

sorry!

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
I was SURE that Sucker Punch had many problems developing their next game. Ghost of Tsushima is too barebones and unpolished for an Sony 1st Party. Seems like they were rushing.

I like Tsushima, pretty fun combat and pretty game. But characters and narrative are subpar.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This looks like absolute shit. No artistic or gameplay identity whatsoever. They were right to go with Ghost.

and it also seems like they were hellbent on aping Assassin's Creed no matter what. They need to strike out and do something different next gen.
Imagine wanting a studio to "strike out" because you assume they are strictly copying Assassin's Creed despite Sucker Punch making games BEFORE AC existed about climbing up and sneaking around buildings...
maxresdefault.jpg