• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean that all flows back to the game. From concept art, to animation, research trips and the engine the game is made in and ultimately used to make the trailer.

The panel, line of questioning and the answers came across like these guys just put in the time and resources to make a prototype video and now after the positive reaction they've got a game to make. lol

I mean obviously that's not the case but that's how the panel came across. The only meaningful stuff was some of the few concept art and photos we saw and the Japanese dialog question. Everything else was just pointless banter and fluff.
Agreed.

I just wish that Michael Denny hadn't said that blurb about it being announced "at the right time", because of course that implies that it's coming out soon and we won't have long to wait - since it was announced at the right time.

Am I alone in thinking that's the implication of that statement?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I know exactly why they chose it. Feudal Japan is notorious with complex names.

It's just that 'Jin' comes across as a very modern Japanese name and unlikely one that would be used by a Samurai in the 12th century. The equivalent would be a medieval knight named 'Tom'. Not even 'Thomas', just 'Tom'.
Yeah. I'm not brushed up on my ancient Japanese names, but maybe 'Jinnosuke'?

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

I just wish that Michael Denny hadn't said that blurb about it being announced "at the right time", because of course that implies that it's coming out soon and we won't have long to wait - since it was announced at the right time.

Am I alone in thinking that's the implication of that statement?

Nah. I think it was announced at the right time. IMO a new IP like this needs to enter the mindshare. It was announced at PGW and that states to me it'll get a big blowout at E3 with gameplay and with a 2019 date.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
People have mo-capped horses before, Red Dead did it, BlkOps 2 did it, I think TLoU did it too, although I'm not sure about that one.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

It's been done before
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidhe_(game_developer)
Wikipedia said:
Sidhe has also collaborated with Weta Digital to achieve the first motion capture of a horse at full gallop, for their horse racing game, Melbourne Cup Challenge / Frankie Dettori Racing.

One of the devs from the old site had this to say:

username: Mario said:
The fundamental problem is it's pretty much impossible to get a horse up to full gallop and then stop again safely in the size of even the largest mocap studios.

We worked with Weta to relocate and set up their equipment in a barn in the country, tagged up a horse and rider with markers, opened the barn at both ends, then ran the horse through the middle.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
It looks cool, but without gameplay I can't really get too excited. "In engine" / CGI trailers work for me when it's an established franchise and I know how it plays, but when its a new IP I just want to see gameplay to know if I'll like it. If its anything like Infamous though I'll give it a shot!

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
kEEzHRW.gif

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just watched this incredible documentary and it has me even more hyped for Ghost Of Tsushima! It's about the life of Miyamoto Musashi and Mark Dacascos takes it upon himself to trace Musashi's lineage by following in his footsteps throughout Japan and giving a very detailed history of his life and accomplishments.

It is very insightful, entertaining and hype-inducing :)

Last edited:

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
The PSX panel about this was incredibly disappointing. Almost entirely fluff, interviewer asked the worst questions, and you could really tell they all wanted to say more about the gameplay and the game itself but they couldn't because it wasn't time yet.

The most interesting part of it was by far when they told anecdotes about their research trip to the actual island of Tsushima, what they saw and who they met there. Hearing about the lengths they've gone through the ensure authenticity kept me hyped despite the lackluster panel.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
The PSX panel about this was incredibly disappointing. Almost entirely fluff, interviewer asked the worst questions, and you could really tell they all wanted to say more about the gameplay and the game itself but they couldn't because it wasn't time yet.

This is my thoughts on this panel and TLOU Part 2s panel. Wasn't a fan of either host to be honest.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

The most interesting part of it was by far when they told anecdotes about their research trip to the actual island of Tsushima, what they saw and who they met there. Hearing about the lengths they've gone through the ensure authenticity kept me hyped despite the lackluster panel.
This is my thoughts on this panel and TLOU Part 2s panel. Wasn't a fan of either host to be honest.
Yeah, same here.

For a game that's three and a half years into development, Sucker Punch really should have shown at least a brief snippet of combat gameplay or something. I really don't think it's going to be a 2019 release - that just seems ridiculous.

Late 2018 is more on point.

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
This thing is gonna be so damn good. Sucker Punch made huge strides in animation and storytelling with Second Son, even if it was a limited and rushed game.

I can feel this thing buzzing. Gonna be huge I bet.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh still no gameplay? I was so sure that the next time I opened this thread post-PSX panel, there'd at least be some statements about gameplay, if not an actual video. What a bummer.

Still highly anticipating this though. If I had to guess, the combat will either be Souls/Nioh-like, or Batman/AssCreed-like. But I really want to know which one, or if it's something else altogether.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I'm warming up to this game. I was kinda bummed that they weren't making another infamous since SS was kinda bland, after the excellent 2!

But it's good to see developers trying something new. A lot of potential here! I do wonder if AC will attempt Japan anytime soon now..

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Ugh still no gameplay? I was so sure that the next time I opened this thread post-PSX panel, there'd at least be some statements about gameplay, if not an actual video. What a bummer.

Still highly anticipating this though. If I had to guess, the combat will either be Souls/Nioh-like, or Batman/AssCreed-like. But I really want to know which one, or if it's something else altogether.

We're not seeing gameplay until E3 next June at the earliest I say. This has 2019 written all over it, if that.

Which might pose a problem if Ubisoft has been working on a long wanted AC title set in Feudal Japan and it ends up releasing before GoT. lol

Oct 27, 2017
People have mo-capped horses before, Red Dead did it, BlkOps 2 did it, I think TLoU did it too, although I'm not sure about that one.

Shadow of the Colossus must have done as well, given how good the animation is in that game. I also remember reading from years back that Miyamoto wanted to mocap a horse for Ocarina of Time, but couldn't as the studio wasn't big enough.

Nothing substantial?

Not really. Anecdotes and stories about research/development, but very little on the actual game itself. They did say that everything shown in the trailer is really in the game, and that Tsushima would be a slightly fantastic version of a real environment in order to get those appealing landmarks and make it more gamey (i.e. the island doesn't really have extensive rice fields like below).

For a game that's three and a half years into development, Sucker Punch really should have shown at least a brief snippet of combat gameplay or something. I really don't think it's going to be a 2019 release - that just seems ridiculous.

Late 2018 is more on point.

Horizon was revealed at E3 2015 and released in early 2017; about 20 months later. I think they'll be aiming to do the same thing here with an early 2019 release, which would be about 18+ months after the reveal. Doesn't seem too unrealistic. However, I do think they would have been best holding off for E3 2018 to give it a huge reveal with a gameplay demo and then confirm a release date like 9 months later. That would have been incredibly exciting.

Can't wait to see some gameplay, coming obviously at E3. I love that Sony gives their studio's freedom to try something out of their comfort zone. Worked very well for Guerrilla and I bet it will for Sucker Punch as well.

I really liked it when Nate Fox said you have to step out of your comfort zone and do something exciting and scary once in a while. One of my favourite things about Sony's developers is that they're always trying out new IPs. Sometimes they don't stick the landing, but on the other hand sometimes we get a Horizon.

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched this incredible documentary and it has me even more hyped for Ghost Of Tsushima! It's about the life of Miyamoto Musashi and Mark Dacascos takes it upon himself to trace Musashi's lineage by following in his footsteps throughout Japan and giving a very detailed history of his life and accomplishments.

Nice! Watching now.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017

I watched this a couple years back and it was amazing. Loved it.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
DRC1SgVWAAMOYnS.jpg

"How do we cross here?"

Raft/swim? Climb a high tree and hop islands like a flying squirrel? Or wait for the tide to drop and cross a slippery path by foot? Swimming mechanics could add a lot of stealth possibilities so hopefully that's an option.

DRC1SgSWAAIJab1.jpg

ghosttsu1.jpg

DRC1SjPX4AIV7h0.jpg

ghosttsu2.jpg

Concept to in-engine visual gets a big v from me.

CageBliss.gif

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
https://jobs.suckerpunch.com
40785019882_d583df68e2_o.jpg

Notice the stash of blades.. and right ears.

In the final trailer shot there's maybe a fizzle of electricity in the sword slash, followed one frame later by a lightning strike in the sky so there could be some elemental powers in play.

Oyg730q.gif