• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At Gamescom, Suda51 took some interviews on the release of Travis Strikes Again: Complete Edition and No More Heroes 3. Gamexplain just uploaded their interview with the man. Here's a non-exhaustive bullet point listing of the stuff:

- About developing on the Switch itself, Suda appreciates that it's a gaming console at core and has been built exclusively for that purpose rather than a multimedia tool. He feels Nintendo is pretty punk as a company, just like Grasshopper.
- Motion controls are definitely returning in NMH3
- Suda was taken by surprise at the Switch lite announcement (and the fact that it will not have separate joycons for motion control specifically) but is not afraid because there are ways around that so he'll find a way.
- Since Travis is carrying back Dr. Juvenile's Death Drive gauntlet from Travis Strikes Again, he'll be once again able in NMH3 to extract powers from the video games he played, although the system will be different than in TSA. This will be used to have large scale, Thanos-level battles.
- The HENSHIN! suit from the trailer is obviously a game mechanic of NMH3
- Suda reassess again that the game is roughly 50% done. Most mechanics are realized. He also adds that he's about 90% done writing the scenario.
- He's in talks with Marvelous about how to tackle the eventual NMH1+2 port. The hardest problem right now is deciding whether they're doing simple ports or fully remaster them for the new generation of hardware.

- Right now, there are no plans to do anything with Killer 7. Capcom owns the rights so it's up to them, although they've been very supportive of the recent Steam re-release.
- Unlikely to work on more of Lollipop Chainsaw because James Gunn is now super famous and busy with the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
- If Nintendo gave him the keys, he'd like to work on a new The Mysterious Murasame Castle
- As for the return of the overworld in NMH3, it's not decided yet and will depend on the fan feedback.
- Grasshopper is paying a lot of attention to fan feedback, although they still stay realistic. They're trying to find a middleground between what they want to do and what fans would like to see.
- One thing he noted is that fans really liked the bike side-missions/mini-games so they're looking into adding something like that into the game. Same for the gardening mini-games in NMH1 (personal note: it was awesome as fuck and i support this idea). He's not saying they'll add the exact same things but understand that people liked those parts because they were silly stuff you could only find in No More Heroes, so he'll try to bring more of that.

[Note: the title of the video says "NMH2 Jobs return" but Suda was talking and quoting only examples from NMH1 in his interview]

- No More Heroes 3 is still planned for next year, and Grasshopper is working hard to exceed all previous NMH games.

There's also the weirdest question ever that takes up four minutes just for a "no comment" about Suda being asked if they'll be able to top-up the fact that Norman Reedus has a pee button that works anywhere in Death Stranding.

The interview has more interesting stuff on other games Suda worked on in the past. I went very brief with the resume here so you should check up the whole thing.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
HELL YEAH if it's the NMH1 jobs. It's SOOOO much better than the 8 bits minigames of NMH2.

And yeah, they should really do an overworld. The game would probably get flamed for that but the overworld added a lot of charm to the game instead of just being a boss rush.

We also know that several characters are returning, both inside and outside No More Heroes series (the sudaverse is happening again!!)

Kimmy Howell, Potentially Three Destroymans or one Destroyman with three phases, KAMUI!!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the universe where James Gunn wasnt rehired for GotG3 we'd be in talks for Lollipop Chainsaw 2

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Both Mikami and Suda are big fans of Miyamoto/Tezuka's Famicom classic Murasame.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before. Doing chores in a video game is way more fun than chores in real life.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
a lot of stuff seems undecided. Can't see a 2020 game unless it's small in scale, budget

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Interesting to hear him pick Murasame. Not that outlandish of a pick, really. I'd be all for it.

I remember Hideki Kamiya saying the same thing though. A PlatinumGames developed game would be a great way to revive the IP too. I dunno what I'd prefer.

HELL YEAH if it's the NMH1 jobs. It's SOOOO much better than the 8 bits minigames of NMH2.

And yeah, they should really do an overworld. The game would probably get flamed for that but the overworld added a lot of charm to the game instead of just being a boss rush.

I get why people complained but the mundanity is a part of the appeal IMO. I haven't actually played NMH2 yet, I'm waiting to see whether those ports they keep talking about happen, but I can't imagine I'll like that game as much as I enjoyed the first one. Like you say that stuff added a lot of charm.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to hear the armor is an actual thing in the game and not just a trailer gag.

Both Mikami and Suda are big fans of Miyamoto/Tezuka's Famicom classic Murasame.

I know that Kamiya is a fan, but Mikami as well? Huh.

With how many Japanese creators like Murasame, I feel like a revival will happen one day.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So 1 and 2 coming to Switch is a matter of when and not if?

I own them on Wii but never played them and was going to get around to them pretty soon to catch up for 3 but now I might just hold off.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
A Suda51 Murasame Castle game would be pretty fantastic. I'd love to see his take on it.

I'm happy to hear the armor is an actual thing in the game and not just a trailer gag.

I know that Kamiya is a fan, but Mikami as well? Huh.

With how many Japanese creators like Murasame, I feel like a revival will happen one day.

I sure hope so! It's a fantastic, underappreciated game that could really use a modern revival.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
If Nintendo gave him the keys, he'd like to work on a new The Mysterious Murasame Castle
nothing i want more than reimagined revivals of old nintendo ips like this, ice climbers and famicom detective club, like they did with kid icarus

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

I own them on Wii but never played them and was going to get around to them pretty soon to catch up for 3 but now I might just hold off.

I believe so, but I am starting to wonder whether they'll actually manage to release these before 3. I mean, if they're really still undecided how they're going to tackle those games like Suda says in this interview...

Ports feel like the sensible choice, the games hold up great thanks to the art style. But if the translation's correct Suda's even considering remakes? That's nice and all, but surely they can't release those in time unless NMH3 gets delayed.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that Overworld unless you make it actually fun to go around in this time.

I know they'll do great on every other aspect though.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

If the games get ported, I hope Suda goes multi-plat. More games on more systems is always best.

Now, if only someone could get those Shadows of the Damned rights away from EA's clutches, so that we could get a pre-release with a PC version this time...

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
NMH3 Will be a game for the ages.

Many devs are interested in Murasame Castle it seems. Hope it happens sooner than later.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yes, do a remaster of NMH1 and 2 please! Doesn't have to be crazy. Can be that PS3 port style graphics with 1080p resolution and some updated lighting if you want (on switch).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm morbidly curious how a Suda styled Famicom Detective Club game would play and be written.

Especially considering Moonlight Syndrome, The Silver Case, and Flower Sun Rain.

Oct 26, 2017
I like everything I'm hearing. Take your time Suda, no need to rush. Find a good balance between different elements that works and is engaging. And above all keep it weird and punk.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give him the keys Nintendo. I want Takamaru to be revived.

For now I'm settling with maining Takamaru in Smash by using his Mii Swordfighter costume.

Oct 26, 2017
NMH3 Will be a game for the ages.

Many devs are interested in Murasame Castle it seems. Hope it happens sooner than later.
I would kill - aka pay $60 day one - for a sort of collection of Nintendo classics as reinterpreted by modern studios, indie or otherwise.

Like take 5-8 properties from the NES/SNES/N64 era and give each a $10-$15 million budget and let a small but very capable team develop a 3-4 hour game over the course of a year.

Sell it as a package. I guarantee at least 1 or 2 of those would result in full fledged sequels that could turn into successful franchises.

Edit: maybe the numbers for budget/time/# of franchises need to be adjusted to be more realistic, but you get the general idea.

Last edited:

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I personally like the NMH2 8-bit games more than the jobs. Some were fun like the distance jump, but i felt they made you do it too often where it just started to feel too tedious. Maybe not have the game force you to earn money by playing the game as much would sound better. I'd personally would like a blend of the 2 maybe have an arcade where you could play similar games and also have the real world jobs would sound like a cool median i'd think.

Oct 27, 2017
So NMH1/2 HD is like an open secret? I'd hope it would be sooner rather than later. His comment makes it seem like it hasn't even begun development. I'm fine with a quick remaster.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Ya know I love no more heroes but killer is dead was tight too

Would y'all get that if they ever did like a switch port or remaster ?

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I still don't know how they are 50% complete with NMH 3 after only 8 months of work. That seems insanely efficient.
I think he's high-balling. Suda claimed they were only 25% done in an interview with Famitsu published on July 31st, which was only a month ago.

Also, I really hope Marvelous doesn't port the PS3 version of NMH1. The missing shadows and everything are awful and it'd clash with NMH2. I also can't fathom why anyone would want to play them without motion controls.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm morbidly curious how a Suda styled Famicom Detective Club game would play and be written.

Especially considering Moonlight Syndrome, The Silver Case, and Flower Sun Rain.

Yes!

I would kill - aka pay $60 day one - for a sort of collection of Nintendo classics as reinterpreted by modern studios, indie or otherwise.

Like take 5-8 properties from the NES/SNES/N64 era and give each a $10-$15 million budget and let a small but very capable team develop a 3-4 hour game over the course of a year.

Sell it as a package. I guarantee at least 1 or 2 of those would result in full fledged sequels that could turn into successful franchises.

Edit: maybe the numbers for budget/time/# of franchises need to be adjusted to be more realistic, but you get the general idea.
A-la the Guild Series by Level-5 on DS. I'm in.