• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Suda51: Nintendo Switch is THE video game console
via Gamereactor

TooKyoSuda.jpg

Goichi 'Suda51' Suda is a nice and happy guy, as he has shown in numerous meetings with Gamereactor. But in the last one we not only saw like that, I was also satisfied and pleased. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes has just arrived and everything points to what No More Heroes 3 will follow , with the 'threat' of their presence at E3 2019.

If they have something in common those two titles (one real, another course) is the platform of destination, Nintendo Switch, a machine for which he has had some spectacular words. "I think Switch is great, basically it is THE video game console , that is, you can start and play directly, and they are giving a lot of support to independent games, something great," he told us during the recent GDC.

And, in case there were doubts that he is in love with the machine and has it in his sights, he said: "I really want to do something more for Switch."

From the first moment Suda51 made it clear that Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is an independent project and has not tired of repeating it. He also explained how he has felt working like this, with a team of only about 25 people that allows him to "return to our roots as independent developers". "I feel that, at the moment, we have the best environment we've ever had, and the best team to date, things are going very, very well in Grasshopper," he added.

"It's the first time in a long time that I can get into the more concrete details of creating the game, I can go with the people on the team and really talk to them while they're working, give them specific guidelines, see exactly what they're working on. each, see exactly how the game is going"

Can't really argue with that. I love the pick up and play nature of the Switch too. It really is the go-to place for indies as well.

I've seen quite a few Japanese developers now describe the Switch with such fondness. The fact that the Switch was the console to inspire Suda to get back into development because of its 'punk' nature makes me really happy we'll get some bangers down the line. Travis Strikes Again was already super solid and a great outing for Suda's first time in the director's seat since NMH.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
If Switch can start getting JRPGs like P5 and DQ11 day and date in the future with only some graphical downgrades, I may not need to get a PS5 for a while...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Seems just based on his high spirits and attitude, TSA:NMH worked out for him and the studio. That's good to hear

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Then bloody do something decent for it, instead of whatever you just released

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I'd laugh and be disappointed if Suda announces some other Sequel instead of NMH3 at E3. It's what I'm telling myself is gonna happen, so I don't get my hopes up and then disappointed around E3, even though he SAYS to basically expect it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Imagine the backlash if he doesn't announce NMH3 at E3 lmao.
I hope he's not blueballing us here, lmao. He wouldn't suddenly place all this emphasis on E3 if he wasn't going to announce something.

If not NMH3, I at least want to see the FSR remaster. Tho I'm expecting an additional NMH3 tease at the end of DLC02 for TSA with a 'Stay tuned!' or something to get us excited for E3. It's his first time going since Let It Die's development IIRC so yeah. Also this yet to be used image was found in the files titled "NMH3_ToBeContinued" so I'm certain they'll use at the end of DLC02.
DxiUCNfX4AEXtMu.png

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope he's not blueballing us here, lmao. He wouldn't suddenly place all this emphasis on E3 if he wasn't going to announce something.

If not NMH3, I at least want to see the FSR remaster. Tho I'm expecting an additional NMH3 tease at the end of DLC02 for TSA with a 'Stay tuned!' or something to get us excited for E3. It's his first time going since Let It Die's development IIRC so yeah. Also this was found in the files so I'm certain they'll use it at some point.

Oh, I'm pretty confident that he's going to announce it soon, the game is essentially confirmed really. I just thought it would be funny (and sad) if he had been messing with us all along. But I don't think he'd be going to E3 if he didn't have anything substantial to show.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm sure a full fledged NMH3 will follow.
Considering Suda finished the outline for NMH3 in December and stated the game is in development at the end of TSA, I'm certain it's a done deal despite him stating a potential follow-up is really dependent on how well TSA sells. I'm thinking Nintendo got in touch considering they now list GhM as a major partner. We'll probably get a teaser trailer akin to NMH2's announcement at Nintendo's E3 Direct just affirming that it's now in development more than anything.

I think above all else, I'm really glad Suda's now back in a spot that really allows him to retain creative control over GhM's projects. GhM kinda just got too big during the 10s and you could really tell Suda's influence was barely there or non-existent in games like NMH2, Shadow of the Damned (this is more an EA thing though), Lollipop Chainsaw, Let It Die etc. I think there's no surprise when I say that the best GhM games have always been developed by small teams. They've always made sure to stretch their budget constraints to the max to deliver some dope games.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Suda the GOAT as usual.

People getting on TSA are so funny to me. If you would've played it you would know that NMH III us already in development lol.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that he likes the Switch so much! Travis Strikes Again was great, and I can't wait to see what he has in store for E3!

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hell yeah.

I'd love for him to go all in and give us all kinds of his crazy shit on the Switch. I feel like NMH 3 is happening and I really hope we see something at E3.

also, everytime I see a picture or video of him I am reminded how much of a nice dude he looks like.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
As long as Grasshopper gives us more full production efforts I'm happy.

Travis Strikes Again was pretty good (did a lvl 1 bitter clear, at least), but was painful how obvious of a shoestring budget the game was made on.

And even worse was all the shirts just remind you how many superior games exist with lower price tags and smaller staff sizes.

No More Heroes deserves a title on-par with the likes of Hyper Light Drifter and Furi.

But! at least the music, writing, and artwork was up to snuff for the franchise. I don't have a lot of Travis Strikes Again complaints, but would straight up recommend Killer Is Dead over it as far as action games go.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More than anything I just really want Masafumi Takada composing again. Yamaoka's OST for NMH2 wasn't as good despite some standout tracks.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wish everyone thought like you, Goichi.

Now, don't listen to the all NMH people here and make me a Killer 8 for THE console.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I agree honestly as far as pure gaming and convenience goes. I'm really looking forward to the next game Suda makes, especially since he's got the juice back with Travis Strikes Again.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Considering Suda finished the outline for NMH3 in December and stated the game is in development at the end of TSA, I'm certain it's a done deal despite him stating a potential follow-up is really dependent on how well TSA sells. I'm thinking Nintendo got in touch considering they now list GhM as a major partner. We'll probably get a teaser trailer akin to NMH2's announcement at Nintendo's E3 Direct just affirming that it's now in development more than anything.
Suda teased an announcement for E3 this year, right? I definitely think we might see a NMH3 teaser at E3.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish more devs felt this way. Would love to see even more output of originals on Switch from SE for example.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Suda teased an announcement for E3 this year, right? I definitely think we might see a NMH3 teaser at E3.
All we know is that he's going to E3 for the first time in years and that he hopes to announce something. I think it's a no-brainer that he's going to formally announce NMH3 when you take everything else into play, like GhM confirming the game is in development at the end of TSA, Nintendo listing GhM as a major partner, datamined files, Suda himself talking about the big 3 in interviews, the design work he's laid out for it etc.

Jan 11, 2018
Suda's fucking awesome. Bring on NMH 3. Hopefully Nintendo will lend some money and development muscle if needed.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He seems to be in a good creative place nowadays -- Travis Strikes Again showed that, and it's nice to hear him say as much.

Yes to more Suda, double yes to more Suda on Switch.

Last edited:

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I want to happen:

NMH3 announced at E3 alongside a remastered collection of No More Heroes 1 + 2 for Switch; NMH1 based on the Wii version but with added ability to use the Pro Controller (since you can in 2 with the Classic Controller on the Wii anyway).

I think at the very least it's a given NMH3 is happening at this point, though. I'd be shocked if it's some other project.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
No More Heroes and specially No More Heroes 2 deserve a remaster, the second one is an amazing game that almost no one played and it's still only available on Wii :/

Oct 26, 2017
I still wonder if he's trying to get Nintendo to consider buying Grasshopper. I dunno, he seems UBER positive about Switch and was always at least a bit of a Nintendo fanboy really. He's gone on record to be firm about Travis staying Nintendo-exclusive and him being in Smash is like the ultimate dream of his.

If Nintendo offered, I'm pretty confident he'd leap at the opportunity to become a Nintendo 1st-party.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I still wonder if he's trying to get Nintendo to consider buying Grasshopper. I dunno, he seems UBER positive about Switch and was always at least a bit of a Nintendo fanboy really. He's gone on record to be firm about Travis staying Nintendo-exclusive and him being in Smash is like the ultimate dream of his.

If Nintendo offered, I'm pretty confident he'd leap at the opportunity to become a Nintendo 1st-party.

I mean, in the OP he also talks about how happy he is that Grasshopper has become more indie-like again. I'm sure he likes working with Nintendo, but to be bought by them? Not so sure about that.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah no, not in a million years m8. The main reason Suda sold Grasshopper to GungHo was so they could keep on making games. He even says himself that around 2011-2012, he was too absorbed in the management side of the business to really focus on the creative. Selling the company to GungHo was an attempt to keep that creativity alive (his own words, not mine). Going by the interview in the OP and other interviews he's conducted these past few months, GhM is in a really good spot precisely BECAUSE he's able to focus on the creative aspect as Grasshopper is really small now (around 25 people instead of the few dozen they had around KiD/LID).

Suda has always viewed himself as 'punk', 'indie' and on the fringe of game development. Hell, he makes outré games that appeal to only a very select crowd. Becoming a Nintendo first-party studio would be the antithesis to this. The fact that GhM were able to return to their indie roots with TSA while propping up the indie scene as a whole is indicative of this.

Hopefully, he's talking to various parties on getting the recent ports and remakes of his other titles onto Switch. I know he was very high on getting Killer7 on Switch, but cautioned that Capcom may have wanted to have a more direct hand in that release than they did for the PC port that they licensed to NISA. It'd be swell to get the other Kill the Past games on there, too, especially since it's been a spell since we last heard about the FSR remake.

Of course, NMH1+2 should be priorities, especially as we deserve a proper remaster of the first game and not whatever the fuck happened with the 360/PS3 version.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now, more than ever I'm just ecstatic for whatever is next from Suda and his studio. Travis Strikes Again was a wonderful return to form.

Toss us some ports too, if possible.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Here's what I want to happen:

NMH3 announced at E3 alongside a remastered collection of No More Heroes 1 + 2 for Switch; NMH1 based on the Wii version but with added ability to use the Pro Controller (since you can in 2 with the Classic Controller on the Wii anyway).

I think at the very least it's a given NMH3 is happening at this point, though. I'd be shocked if it's some other project.

Yeah I'd like it to follow the foreseeable Metroid Prime Trilogy route (or Bayonetta's), with 1+2 in HD but taking care of motion controls for those who desire them. Dunno in terms of licenses and rights though, as both games had different releases and distributors in Japan and then in the West, including the separate ports.

What I cannot understand is Killer7 not being ported for the Switch yet, but that's a whole different story...

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Travis Strikes Again was a brilliant return to form for Grasshopper Manufacture and Suda51. A real passion project. I'm very excited to see what they do next, and hopefully that's a crazy No More Heroes 3 with plenty of Silver Case references.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I love Suda but no way will that ever happen. His games have a severe lack of polish that Nintendo will never personally adopt.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I like the back to the basics approach as well, this gen consoles went a little too far on trying to do more than video games, despite that is still the main reason why people buy these boxes.

Then bloody do something decent for it, instead of whatever you just released

Travis Strikes Again was a really small project indie-level compared to his previous works, but at the same time very important cause it saw the return of Suda51 as director. It's a step towards the old greatness.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of when Suda was excited about the Wii but this is combined with his passion for indie development so it seems even more excited.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
He should strike a deal with NISA to get The Silver Case, The 25th Ward and Killer 7 remasters on Switch.