• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

On June 3, 2019, there was a massacre on the streets of Sudan's capital, Khartoum. This is the story of that massacre, told through the phone cameras of those who kept filming, even as they came under live fire. BBC Africa Eye has now analysed more than 300 videos shot in Khartoum on June 3rd. Using these videos, we can bring you a shocking, street-level view of the violence that was inflicted on protesters that morning - and the first direct testimony from men who say they took part in this attack.

BBC
There was a massacre of protesters on the streets of Sudan's capital, Khartoum on 3 June 2019. This is the story of that massacre, told through the phone cameras of those who kept filming, even as they came under live fire. BBC Africa Eye has analysed more than 300 videos shot in Khartoum that day. Using them, we bring you a shocking, street-level view of the violence - as well as testimony from men who say they took part in the attack and that it was planned from the top.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Bellingcat are doing any work in this area - their contributions to Syria have been extensive and well detailed.

Even though its expected, its still shocking how war crimes are being shared now in real time, alongside our meme videos. Its irrefutable proof of whats happening, but at the same time it feels that the same status quo is happening - the large powers that be still don't care. I feel for Sudan.

Oct 26, 2017
This is insane.

Technology has progresed to the point where something as horrific as this incident can be captured from start to endpoint from multiple perspective and share in the blink of an eye. The military, police, and RSF committed unspeakable atrocities on camera but in some sick twisted way, doing so made it impossible for them to really hide their true colors from the rest of the world.

The civilians of Sudan have to be commended for their bravery. They risked abuse and death at the hands of their oppressors but managed to get the eyes of the world on them and their side.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Bellingcat are doing any work in this area - their contributions to Syria have been extensive and well detailed.

Even though its expected, its still shocking how war crimes are being shared now in real time, alongside our meme videos. Its irrefutable proof of whats happening, but at the same time it feels that the same status quo is happening - the large powers that be still don't care. I feel for Sudan.
Yeah it is insane to think about. The mosque terror attack a while back made me shocked at how desensitized people were at these kinds of videos.

You would think this would help people understand how fucked up the situations in a lot of countries are because we are witnessing them way too closely but alas, most people don't care unless it happens to them or close to them. Everything else is an "event" instead of news that should make us have empathy.

I am hopeful these kinds of videos will help people understand what the people of Sudan go through. If it could reach people, as little as it may and raise awarenesses then it is worth it.

Last edited:

Ashes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Excellent work collecting the evidence.
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
r.i.p. for the fallen.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Holy shit at these videos... I've heard the news back then but didn't saw any video

I was glad when i saw that the guy in the pink shirt survived.... but it's hard to forget more than 100 people were killed there!

Really hope things will get better for them!

RIP

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I am so glad the first livestreamer survived his injuries. Fuck the RSF and the military to hell, bastards even shooting doctors helping and children. May the people overcome, but at this point all they can do is expose those atrocities to the world.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

Both sides reach a deal. Hopefully the investigation brings something out of this mess.

KHARTOUM, Sudan — A transition agreement between Sudan's ruling military council and a pro-democracy coalition was scheduled to be signed Saturday, a top African Union diplomat said, just hours after the military claimed it thwarted an attempted coup by a group of officers.

The AU's Mohammed el-Hassan Labat made the announcement Friday. The transition agreement sets up a joint Sovereign Council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized.

Ethiopian mediator Mahmoud Dirir, who has been involved in mediating between the two sides, told reporters that the political declaration will be "debated on, discussed and signed at the same time."

The deal is meant to break the political deadlock that has gripped the country following the overthrow of autocratic President Omar al-Bashir in April.