Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Ep 7's revelation is even more silly than Ep 6's. They end the story with a tease for Season 2, but it is archived due to weak and convenient worldbuilding, not good writing. I won't return to S2, if there is one.

I don´t mind being spoiled so I read your post but....

isn´t it kind of dumb?

I had reserved my judgment previously, but now that I've finished it, I think it's dumb. The first six episodes is good neo-noir that deal with down-to-earth topics like fame obsession and sexual assault. It implied that Sugar was dealing with some unusual issues, but a PI with a mysterious past is a genre norm. After the twist, I no longer care about the case because the narrative's focus has shifted dramatically. My emotional investment in the case is gone, as are some of the human characters, because they no longer matter. In the end, it turned into two undercooked stories that were awkwardly blended.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Ep 7's revelation is even more silly than Ep 6's. They end the story with a tease for Season 2, but it is archived due to weak and convenient worldbuilding, not good writing. I won't return to S2, if there is one.

I had reserved my judgment previously, but now that I've finished it, I think it's dumb. The first six episodes is good neo-noir that deal with down-to-earth topics like fame obsession and sexual assault. It implied that Sugar was dealing with some unusual issues, but a PI with a mysterious past is a genre norm. After the twist, I no longer care about the case because the narrative's focus has shifted dramatically. My emotional investment in the case is gone, as are some of the human characters, because they no longer matter. In the end, it turned into two undercooked stories that were awkwardly blended.
Now I am discouraged to continue watching. If the twist makes you care less about the characters and story, what is the point to continue to watch? Thanks for your inputs.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022

That's wild you feel that way, to me those revelations just made a whole lot of sense in context of the rest of the story and has me wishing I can watch season 2 sooner rather than later.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now I am discouraged to continue watching. If the twist makes you care less about the characters and story, what is the point to continue to watch? Thanks for your inputs.
That's a single person's opinion on the internet. It is not a long show, why not try for yourself? I mean, if you're not enjoying it from the beginning then punch out, by all means. But if you are the journey is still worth it even if you might not love the destination. I enjoyed the show throughout as did others in this very thread.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Odd they never clarified what happened to Charlie. I guess leaving the option for her to come back in season 2.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about the dress and polaroid pictures. They were of the mom of Olivia Segal (the missing kid for most of the season) right? She was wearing the same dress her husband's mom (Grandpa's wife) was wearing when she was a movie star in the 60s and 70s. The show kinda yadda-yadda'd it in the last 10 mins so I forgot about it until today, but the implication I got was:

the grandpa slept with his sons wife (!!!) and Olivia is actually his daughter, not his granddaughter. He had those photos because ??? something weird and pervy and gross ??? Does Olivia know what the photos mean? Did her dad? Sugar and obviously Grandpa know, and that was the big reason why Grandpa wanted Olivia found so badly. I don't really remember what exactly happened to Olivia's mom or grandma either. They better not be fucking aliens too lol

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I forgot about the dress and polaroid pictures. They were of the mom of Olivia Segal (the missing kid for most of the season) right? She was wearing the same dress her husband's mom (Grandpa's wife) was wearing when she was a movie star in the 60s and 70s. The show kinda yadda-yadda'd it in the last 10 mins so I forgot about it until today, but the implication I got was:

the grandpa slept with his sons wife (!!!) and Olivia is actually his daughter, not his granddaughter. He had those photos because ??? something weird and pervy and gross ??? Does Olivia know what the photos mean? Did her dad? Sugar and obviously Grandpa know, and that was the big reason why Grandpa wanted Olivia found so badly. I don't really remember what exactly happened to Olivia's mom or grandma either. They better not be fucking aliens too lol

The mom apparently died in a car accident, that was briefly shown early on when sugar was doing research. And yes, the grandpa said she reminded him of his wife, she was unhappy in her marriage and he couldn't help himself. I'm not sure if Olivia or Bernie know though.