• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So my wife has finished most 3D MARIO games, every Zelda game, the PS1 Spyro games, several harvest moon games, and Pokemon gens 1-3 and 6-8.

She wants to branch out into more video games and new franchises she hasn't experienced before. Where do you think she should go from here?

Notes:

* She's put 120 hours in Stardew Valley already
* She has access to her switch, iPhone 11, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro as well as my PS4 and gaming PC.
* Narative choices in games give her anxiety. Had her play Skyrim today and she shutdown at the moment where you choose whether to go with the guys who wanted to behead you earlier or the rebellion.
* Adventure games are preferred. She's already planing on picking up the new animal crossing but what's to experience a new world with a fun story.
* she apparently loves Zoo tycoon, news to me, but added detail.

Thanks for any help everyone!

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just because I've had a good success rate suggesting Picross, have her try out Picross 3D Round 2 (on 3DS) or any of the Picross S games on Switch. They're super fun / pair well with podcasts and TV shows, etc.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If she likes Zelda, maybe Okami?

Also Animal Crossing seems like the safest bet, given she likes Harvest Moon and Stardew and every human on Earth likes Animal Crossing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
While not really branching out, Animal Crossing: New Horizons releases in like ~30 days. So if she liked Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon this should be right up her alley and hundreds of hours worth of entertainment.

She could also try Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Lots of good characters and stuff to get hooked on.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Weird suggestion but if you've already finished Fallout 4, a complete save(or a modded game since you mentioned PC) for her to play with settlements sounds like it would really be up her alley. My fiancee started to play with my Fallout 4 save and she's having a blast, she doesn't like the actual game but she's into Stardew Valley and building up settlements has been super fun for her, especially with the fast travel points already all available so she gets to just go to them and play around.

It might be branching out because as she gets more comfortable with the game she might stumble upon the non-settlement mechanics(happened to my fiancee and she's now playing through the main storyline)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Get Okami or wait for Animal Crossing. If action is her thing, have her play DMC3 or 5.

OP
OP
Spork4000

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If she likes Zelda, maybe Okami?

Also Animal Crossing seems like the safest bet, given she likes Harvest Moon and Stardew.

She played pocket camp on her phone! I think we'll be picking up the new one, but she mainly wants to play something she can have an adventure with.

Her best friend loves Okami, it's just never grabbed her for some reason.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
While not really branching out, Animal Crossing: New Horizons releases in like ~30 days. So if she liked Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon this should be right up her alley and hundreds of hours worth of entertainment.

She could also try Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Lots of good characters and stuff to get hooked on.

It feels like she'll get paralyzed by all the choices in FE3H.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I will always reccomend portal 2. Its a fun game and you play in co op with her if you want.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Just to be clear by herself or options with you? Because my wife doesn't often play anything by herself (minus some phone games) but I have quite a few ps4 games we have played together that she has loved I can share.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Life is Strange. Episode 1 is free on Steam.

Oh wait, this might not be a good idea if narrative choices gives her anxiety.

OP
OP
Spork4000

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird suggestion but if you've already finished Fallout 4, a complete save(or a modded game since you mentioned PC) for her to play with settlements sounds like it would really be up her alley. My fiancee started to play with my Fallout 4 save and she's having a blast, she doesn't like the actual game but she's into Stardew Valley and building up settlements has been super fun for her, especially with the fast travel points already all available so she gets to just go to them and play around.

It might be branching out because as she gets more comfortable with the game she might stumble upon the non-settlement mechanics(happened to my fiancee and she's now playing through the main storyline)

She watched me put 60 hours in three houses, I think she's good on that. The fallout 4 suggestion would work....if I could bring myself to finish that game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
She played pocket camp on her phone! I think we'll be picking up the new one, but she mainly wants to play something she can have an adventure with.

Her best friend loves Okami, it's just never grabbed her for some reason.
If she likes Pokemon and is looking for adventures without many narrative branches, definitely JRPGs are the way to go.

Going off her enjoyment of life sims as well, Persona 5 on PS4 might be the perfect game for her. It's kind of both of those things combined. It has a Pokemon-like battle system with monster collecting while also being about maintaining relationships with all your friends and managing your time.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Based on your description
Xenoblade 2 has a great story + Torna expansion (also a great story)
The upcoming Animal Crossing game

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
So my wife has finished most 3D MARIO games, every Zelda game, the PS1 Spyro games, several harvest moon games, and Pokemon gens 1-3 and 6-8.

She wants to branch out into more video games and new franchises she hasn't experienced before. Where do you think she should go from here?

Notes:

* She's put 120 hours in Stardew Valley already
* She has access to her switch as well as my PS4 and gaming PC.
* Narative choices in games give her anxiety. Had her play Skyrim today and she shutdown at the moment where you choose whether to go with the guys who wanted to behead you earlier or the rebellion.

Thanks for any help everyone!

If she liked Stardew look into the upcoming Rune Factory 4 port (hefty fantasy adventure game to go along with the farming and villager stuff). Also check out Dragon Quest Builders 2. (think pretty Minecrft with a story and solid village/farm sim stuff).

Other games to check out would be Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Yoshi's Crafted World.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough the only game I can think of is Starlink for the Switch. There's no major dialog/plot choices, it's pretty easy to play, the weapon switching/combos is fun to get into, there's lots of upgrading/collecting and the Starfox content is really good.

OP
OP
Spork4000

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If she liked Stardew look into the upcoming Rune Factory 4 port. Also check out Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Other games to check out would be Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Yoshi's Crafted World.

Rune Factory could be a good idea. We're supposed to be playing Luigi's Mansion 3 together but I keep getting distracted by other games.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Someone who likes Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley that much should really try Rune Factory. Rune Factory 4 is coming out really soon (just came out? lost track), so that would be a good pick. As someone else said, Dragon Quest Builders or its sequel would also be a nice pick.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I mean, it's not like the choices in Telltale games really matter, so just grab a copy of Tales from the Borderlands and encourage her to choose the jokes that are funniest to her.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Sounds very similar to my wife's taste. I read your post/some of the suggestions to her and she was surprised no one said Crash yet because of Spyro/Mario, she also really liked the Layton games so if she likes puzzles those are probably a good choice too. You didn't say anything about having a 3DS, but just in case you do both Story of Seasons games are also great options. I would also suggest My Time at Portia for something along those simulation lines too.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams. Been playing stuff other people made and it's really cool. Imo, everyone should play this game. Does she like Lego stuff? There's a lot of Lego games out there and I haven't been disappointed yet. You're wife would probably like them.

OP
OP
Spork4000

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds very similar to my wife's taste. I read your post/some of the suggestions to her and she was surprised no one said Crash yet because of Spyro/Mario, she also really liked the Layton games so if she likes puzzles those are probably a good choice too. You didn't say anything about having a 3DS, but just in case you do both Story of Seasons games are also great options. I would also suggest My Time at Portia for something along those simulation lines too.

She does have a 3DS, but she finds it hard to go back to sense she has a switch now. She's also played the first story of seasons, sorry included that in harvest moon, but finds them hard to go back to after stardew valley.

Crash is a great suggestion though, I'love run it up the chain.