• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
She does have a 3DS, but she finds it hard to go back to sense she has a switch now. She's also played the first story of seasons, sorry included that in harvest moon, but finds them hard to go back to after stardew valley.

Crash is a great suggestion though, I'love run it up the chain.
Ahh yeah that's my bad I should have assumed Harvest Moon included Story of Seasons. But yeah I hope Crash is a winner!

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My wife loved Life is Strange and all the Taletale games. She is playing through a Plague Tell Innocence right now while I watch and she is loving it. It is simple enough gameplay wise that even though it is a stealth game she has no problem controlling it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Seconded. Coming from 3d marios, zeldas, and spyros, I think Rayman Legends would be a cool change of pace while being very familiar. Awesome 2d platformer with beautiful art and lots of stuff to collect.

Also I'd suggest Horizon Zero Dawn as foray into big narrative games. My wife has enjoyed almost the exact same games on your list, has hundreds of hours in Stardew, and Horizon ZD is
the only game of its kind that really pulled her in. She played through the whole campaign and spent dozens of hours getting all the collectibles.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Jak and Daxter
Knack
Psychonauts
Okami
Beyond Good and Evil
Prince of Persia

Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Valkyria Chronicles

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
The Trails in the Sky games might be a good option, I got my wife playing them recently and she really enjoyed them.

Oct 25, 2017
My wife loved Life is Strange and all the Taletale games. She is playing through a Plague Tell Innocence right now while I watch and she is loving it. It is simple enough gameplay wise that even though it is a stealth game she has no problem controlling it.
Playing through it myself right now, very good game that is currently on Game Pass (since OP has a gaming PC). The soundtrack is ridiculous, soooo good.

Good suggestion.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So my wife has finished most 3D MARIO games, every Zelda game, the PS1 Spyro games, several harvest moon games, and Pokemon gens 1-3 and 6-8.

She wants to branch out into more video games and new franchises she hasn't experienced before. Where do you think she should go from here?

Notes:

* She's put 120 hours in Stardew Valley already
* She has access to her switch as well as my PS4 and gaming PC.
* Narative choices in games give her anxiety. Had her play Skyrim today and she shutdown at the moment where you choose whether to go with the guys who wanted to behead you earlier or the rebellion.
* Adventure games are preferred. She's already planing on picking up the new animal crossing but what's to experience a new world with a fun story.

Thanks for any help everyone!

Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy XIV
Overcooked

These games are co-op so it's something the Two of you can do together.

Narrative choices aren't a big issue with them, it's all purely gameplay. FFXIV has some narrative choice but it's purely role playing.

Most importantly these games are completely different than the ones she has played before.

Last edited:

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. You can pick up the trilogy on the e-shop. :)

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. You can pick up the trilogy on the e-shop. :)
This is a great option as well. A really fantastic series, with lots of fun cases, great characters and just charm out the wazoo.

Visual Novels and Point 'n Click Adventure games in general are a great option for story/character heavy experiences that provide a relatively quick adventure. PC is the primary domain of Visual Novels and especially Point 'n Click adventure games. But many of the biggest are on Switch now(PS4 too) like Thimbleweed Park, Oxenfree, Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, AI: The Somnium Files, The Gardens Between Us, Grim Fandango, The Low Road, The Lion's Song, Telltale's The Walking Dead.

But on PC you also have classics like Dig, Monkey Island series, Gemini Rue, Primordia, Syberia, The Longest Journey Series, Broken Sword Series, Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father and many many more.

The level of gameplay varies between them. Some are more heavy than others. Many are quite literally point and click games to control everything.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Dark Souls. It can make or break her and your relationship, but she will come off as a better person for beating it

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders II. It shares a lot with Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley but has the building of Minecraft thrown in. There's a demo you can download but the beginning of the game is really slow and mostly boring and unfortunately that's what the demo is.

Nov 8, 2017
There have been only one or two Portal recommendations so far. Let it be known that's a great gateway game to FPS and a quick one at that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the games she likes, jak and daxter or ratchet and clank. My wife loves R&C and is definitely not as into games as your wife.

i imagine she'd enjoy the uncharted games. You could maybe start her with lost legacy.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Games with Female Protagonists:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Gravity Rush Remastered
Gravity Rush 2

Games with Co Op:

Animal Crossing New Horizon
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate
Monster Hunter World

Xianese

Nov 13, 2017
A Hat in Time - I've not played it, but eyed it for a while. Supposedly an excellent platformer.

Broken Sword series. They're good, fun adventure puzzle games. If she's in to adventure without stressful gaming situations, these would suit.

If she likes Zoo Tycoon, maybe try Jurassic World (The latest one basically being Dinosaur Tycoon). Add The Sims 4 maybe as well?

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should play Journey at least once in their life. And it should be online. There's nothing else like it in any medium.

Also, as other have suggested, Animal Crossing is sure to be a hit.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mirrors Edge is a game I recommend to anybody that doesn't get motion sick from games

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Check out Supraland, I think it'd be a good fit. The giantbomb quicklook gives a decent taste of what the game offers.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend finished Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian and loved both,so I highly recommend those,especially the former because it is GOAT tier and is a short game.
Another one my girlfriend finished and loved,also my favorite indie ever is What Remains of Edith Finch.
And of course,my favorite game ever The Last of Us.(Needless to say, she also finished and is her favorite game.)

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
OP, since she loves HM/SoS and LoZ, I am sure she will adore Rune Factory 4.

My wife is not much into gaming, but she gave RF4 a chance and couldn't put it down. I plan on giving it a go myself once it releases on Switch.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend has pretty much the same tastes and is loving Dragon Quest XI S right now.

It is a great adventure with a fantastic cast of characters.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
So I'd suggest JRPG's like others have so Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts I'd definitely suggest.

If she hates narrative decisions then I would recommend avoiding all Fire Emblem (I've seen people recommend it) I can't play the games due to its perma-death mechanics it stresses me out way too much that I cannot finish any of them. A strategy rpg series I'd thoroughly suggest instead is the Advance Wars series

I'd also suggest The Sims, I feel she'd like it based off the other games and a bit out of left field but but I am a fighting game fan myself so I'd suggest everyone try fighting games, because you have a switch start with smash easily enough

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Hmm.

What about Metroid or Zelda games? Super Metroid is on Switch Online service
Metroid Prime on your PC via emulator

Either way lot's of good choices so far to choose from the other posters.