• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Legend of Galactic Heroes is one that has not been mentioned. I have not watched the recent remake but the original is awesome.
Second this. If you love the idea of people talking about the strengths and weaknesses of democratic republicanism, giant space fleet tactics, historical recurrence theory, and make Gundam look like a non-committal wuss in its anti-war messaging, LoGH is one of the best tv shows out there, bar none

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's the Expanse. Babylon 5 is great too, but prepare yourself for dated effects and clunky acting.

Rather old and pretty underrated:
es1ikdr.jpg

Damn, I haven't watched that since it first aired. I remember really liking it, though I seem to recall that it ends on a pretty bad cliffhanger. I think it was created by a couple of X-files and Millennium alumni.

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Never fail era. Thank you. I loved discovery and stargate universe but they both never gave me the realistic feel bsg did. Discovery was amazing tho.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Michael Dorn's picture is over my front door.

But it was Avery growing the beard.
And the quality in every episode allows the significant amount of episodes to be a pleasure to go through. Characters are great. Space battles are fucking great. It culminates beautifully and ends well.

I'm a relatively new Trekkie, and the one thing that impressed me was how surprising it was in terms of the characters. I had a preconceived notion of what ST was from watching TNG and all the movies, and boy was I wrong. I'm especially talking about the character arc of one certain Ferengi, I went from hating him at the beginning to him becoming one of my favorite characters in the series.

There was a run of some of the best episodes ever in the 5th or 6th season. Like 5 in a row of excellent episodes with the next one being better than the last. My wife and I were like 'what is this show?'

Watch it OP.

Oct 26, 2017
Already mentioned a ton, but Babylon 5 is stupidly good. It still remains one of very few shows written with an entire overarcing story in mind, with only a few actor related snags along the way.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
The Expanse is the only spaceship show worth watching since BSG and stands alongside it well, if not better.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
This has been pretty much settled, but I just couldn't let this thread go by without also throwing my weight behind DS9, Babylon 5 and The Expanse.

It's actually very sad that there is so little Space Science Fiction that those 3 are pretty much the only shows I can come up with. Although Farscape can be rather excellent, I feel that it's not really what OP is after. The show can be pretty goofy.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
It's been said, but Babylon 5. Just a flat out great show. The visuals are dated, but it's still very watchable. The characters are what's going to keep you coming back, though. G'Kar and Na'Toth deserved to be in more episodes together. One rivalry you'll see in the first season is gonna have a such a GOOD fucking payoff later on down the line, it still remains one of the best scenes on TV for me.

And again, even though you ruled out Trek, DS9 warrants a watch as well. It's a slow burner in the early seasons, but it kicks into high gear later on. Also has excellent characters and interactions, as well as a wholly unforgettable episode that is too damn good. Visuals are better than B5's, so expect better ship battles.

Last edited: