• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
How is this pronounced?

When I bought it originally I thought it was 'Soo-koh-den' but I've heard it pronounced 'Swee-koh-den' recently.

SnipeyMcGee

Jul 1, 2020
I started playing Suikoden about a month or two back- I would have really appreciated having a sprint in Suikoden 1. I'll hold off for the remaster before jumping into 2. I'm very happy that this is happening and hope 3-5 eventually get the same treatment!

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anime Game of Thrones

You recruit 107 characters that fight in your army. You have a cool castle HQ that grows and populates as you recruit merchants and fighters.

It's fucking awesome.
Ok, I'm listening...

60 payable characters with over 108 total to find, 6 character battles, fantastic story,great music ,a castle you seeing growing through out the game.
This just sounds overwhelming though! But How Long To Beat shows just 20-30 hours, so many it's not as overwhelming as it sounds?

S1 is good but S2 is a GOAT.

Essentially, they're about someone unexpected getting caught up in a huge war, and becoming the hero that unites the Stars Of Destiny (108 recruitable characters) to help them. Theres 6 person turn based rpg battles, bigger army battles where strategy matters, and Rock Paper Scissors style one on one duels.

There's also castle building because your headquarters evolves as you recruit chefs and merchants and fighters.

Combined with stellar soundtracks and fun characters, they're amazing games.

Thats not even going into that they revolve around Runes, magical pieces that can be implanted into the body to gain spellcasting abilities or special physical abilities, and the wars usually involve True Runes, which all other minor runes are birthed from, with TRs also granting eternal life to their wielders.

SpartyCrunch what I would add also is that the stakes of the stories of these games are all country-level. Meaning that you don't end up fighting some god at the end of the game to save the world. The stories are all about a country getting invaded by another, and the end-goal is to defeat the invader in order to safeguard your country's right to exist. It's really rare for a JRPG to stay at such "low stakes", and it's better for it.
Sold

Will definitely check these out :-)

Oct 26, 2017
FcwhrbJaAAIT2lv

This shows how much the redrawn portraits were needed. Junko Kawano is a good designer, but some of the art was very sloppy and then scanned and compressed into very low resolution pixel portraits. Even the original art (available in artbooks and such) is rather simple. Like Melodye there, her face is all messed up in the original, and Ted's and Jeane's faces are all weird.

I'm just amazed that "@suikoden" was just available for them to register.

There's a bug with the dice game in 1 where if you play it when you first find the guy (during the like "tutorial mission"), I believe he just rolls the same thing over and over and you can get yourself a nice stash to start your adventure off with.

I hope that remains lmao

I believe the last time I replayed it, I found that he will always have the same results in the same order, so even without memorizing them, you can just do the first one, then quit out and challenge him again, betting everything on that result every time.

I'm not familiar with this series at all, and the only JRPGs I really played from this era were the Final Fantasys on SNES and PSX, and Chrono Trigger.

How does the Suikoden series compare? Can someone sell me on it?

It's like if Square kept doing games in the style (and quality) of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI and never went into this whole 3D thing until much later. Suikoden 1 has some weak points but still a very good package thanks to the music, characters and the entire concept of it, while Suikoden 2 is the concept perfected.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm listening...

This just sounds overwhelming though! But How Long To Beat shows just 20-30 hours, so many it's not as overwhelming as it sounds?

Sold

Will definitely check these out :-)

Yeah there's two on psx and three on ps2, plus some spinoffs.

And since the games take place over a period of time in the same world, you might recruit a husband and wife in S2 and in S3 you can recruit their daughter. Lots of connections and callbacks and recurring characters, makes everything really cool.

Just check out the gorgeous opening to S3

View: https://youtu.be/d5JnlNtx_mM

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Suikoden I&II were amazing for the budding JRPG fan when they came out. I still have my psx copies in the closet somewhere.

Can't wait to see them with a glow up. Let's go!!

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Both games are gems and long overdue for a treatment like this. I do think seeing these games in 16:9 will take some getting used to though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This shows how much the redrawn portraits were needed. Junko Kawano is a good designer, but some of the art was very sloppy and then scanned and compressed into very low resolution pixel portraits. Even the original art (available in artbooks and such) is rather simple. Like Melodye there, her face is all messed up in the original, and Ted's and Jeane's faces are all weird.

I believe the last time I replayed it, I found that he will always have the same results in the same order, so even without memorizing them, you can just do the first one, then quit out and challenge him again, betting everything on that result every time.

Yeah that was it! I loved using that exploit to start a new playthrough lol

And I hate that I like the redraws of the freakin villains the best lmao They're all real nice though!

Apr 9, 2018
yeah

SpartyCrunch what I would add also is that the stakes of the stories of these games are all country-level. Meaning that you don't end up fighting some god at the end of the game to save the world. The stories are all about a country getting invaded by another, and the end-goal is to defeat the invader in order to safeguard your country's right to exist. It's really rare for a JRPG to stay at such "low stakes", and it's better for it.
All I want from FFXVI is to not kill God with the power of friendship at the end of the game, please Yoshi P, please 🙏

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
beat suikoden i. only got a little into suikoden ii. been meaning to finish it. this will be the perfect excuse to finally do that.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find it wild that out of every game Konami could release in the mainstream gaming space it ends up being Suikoden 1+2?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Looks like the entire game just got leaked? I'm seeing some screenshots and apparently one of the features is a classic sprite mode.
unknown.png

unknown.png

And a dev menu
1663373401182.png

1663359255041.png

Lemme know if I should take these down

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I saw that second screenshot elsewhere and thought maybe someone was trolling and using the PSP port in an emulator for that one but uh... those other shots are damning. How does that even happen?

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
This is exciting! One of those rare RPG series I never got to try, so stoked to give it a go here!

Is Suikoden 1 worth playing? Of course Suikoden 2 is the one everyone talks about, so is 1 worth the time investment?

ethelred

Oct 28, 2017
This is exciting! One of those rare RPG series I never got to try, so stoked to give it a go here!

Is Suikoden 1 worth playing? Of course Suikoden 2 is the one everyone talks about, so is 1 worth the time investment?
Yes, absolutely. Suikoden 1 is a really good game (it's what established a lot of fans of the series in the first place), and it ties in directly with Suikoden 2 (which takes place a few years after and features a lot of returning characters). Plus it's only around 20 hours long.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how to feel about the backgrounds. Such a stark contrast against the pixel characters, though I never played Suikoden 1. Seeing those Suikoden 2 shots though of the ridge and outside the city though and oooooh that looks nice.

Either way, I'm in. Suikoden 2 is like, one of my favourite RPGs.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit! Classic backgrounds as an option? Win win then!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the entire game just got leaked? I'm seeing some screenshots and apparently one of the features is a classic sprite mode.
unknown.png

unknown.png

And a dev menu
1663373401182.png

1663359255041.png

Lemme know if I should take these down
what do you mean by "the entire game"? Like there's a playable build of the game floating on the net somewhere?

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
What? How... ? This really sucks for those devs.
But good to see classic backgrounds are in, as well as the gallery option from the PSP version. That looked fun, there was a music player in it too. Hopefully they don't remove these things by the time it releases here.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I love Suikoden 1 and was never able to finish Suikoden 2 for various reasons.. so I booted it up today thanks to the news. I don't think the remake looks that good and love playing the originals on Vita, so that's what I'm going with here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Suikoden 1 I bought 2 from the PS3 store, but never got around to playing it. So I guess I'll double dip for this remaster. Graphically it looks a bit light and probably they would have been better off remaking the all the art. When I played 1, I was much more into the mechanics and story of Suikoden than I was the art style.

Feb 16, 2022
The Suikoden 2 portraits look a bit weird. It's very close to the original, but... like there's something off to it, at least Nanami's. Like they're redrawn or retraced from the original but lacking in details.