• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Indie Developers Sukeban Games have once again teased their new title's announcement on new years day.

This follows the tease made last new years (2017) with similar timing:

tumblr_oj38tbVnrf1tw77coo1_540.png

This new tease does provide a hint that the title may be more grand in scope - swapping out half of the tried and true VA11 HALL-A staple tagline "Let's Mix Drinks and Change Lives" in favor of the simpler and far more to-the-point "Let's change the world." They also say 'games' rather than 'game', so it's possible they're working on more than one project for 2018. (Though both of these are more personal conjecture than fact.)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the world of the first game but can't really play vns anymore unless they are a bit "gamey" so fingers crossed for something new from there.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
They're still a two man team, so i see it more viable that they show one game, maybe not as big a VA-11 Hall-A that releases this year. I'm pretty hyped.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They're still a two man team, so i see it more viable that they show one game, maybe not as big a VA-11 Hall-A that releases this year. I'm pretty hyped.

While it's true they may still be a two man team, they've been teasing this particular game since last new years. Hopefully it's ready for a reveal sometime in 2018, and if it's not, hopefully it's similar or larger in scope compared to VA-11 HALL-A.

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I know they've stated that they've got a few things they're working on and that one of them will probably be pretty surprising to people so I'm really curious to see what exactly that is. Either way I'm 100% on board for what they make next.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Loved the world of the first game but can't really play vns anymore unless they are a bit "gamey" so fingers crossed for something new from there.

I remember inside a file in VA-11 Hall-A, it had some photos of a game in first-person view. However the environment was in 3D.
If these photos are related with the new game, then maybe it is a VN which allow you to freely explore a 3D world.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
VA-11 HALL-A. on the Switch, when?

I'll also keep an eye out for their new game. Hopefully it's as good as VA-11 HALL-A..

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
GIVE IT TO ME

Va-11 Hall-A was like crack for me. Can't believe how into it I got.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Are they still based in Venezuela? their previous game was my GOTY that year and I look strongly forward to what they have coming up next. I just hope they're in a good spot financially and otherwise to continue doing so. I figured the first game did rather well overall?

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember inside a file in VA-11 Hall-A, it had some photos of a game in first-person view. However the environment was in 3D

There were actually two updates with teases like this. One in April (4/25/17) with two images - the first called 'False Paradise' and the second called 'Menace':

CMtkYAp.jpg

ijg8BQH.png

The text on the bottom left also coincides with a fake save file called 'Heard in the Echo' added to the game in the update;
DCQCTANMJBSQZ
DCQCTANMJBSQZGIUGK
DCQCTANMJBJAHFUURJLVJEIGMG
DCQCTAMMNVJAHFGUXJXNNORPEADKQK
ZQXVXIHZBKCQBDTDZFZ
ZQXVXUYZXGDMESHSIWTGDJD
TJHPQSHSNIZGOIGDZFRIPNPGMS
TJHPQSHSNIZGQFDMEBGSJQORDASU
NCVOHNHVLYXQF

When decrypted using a Reverse-Additive cipher, it says:
YOURSCARSAREOPENING
YOURSORROWSARESCREAMING
CAN YOU HEAR HER
CAN YOU HEAR HER STEPS
CANYOU HEARYOURFEARSBOILING
CANYOUFEELYOURREGRETS
CANYOUFEELYOURREGRETSSURFACING
SHELLMAKEYOUDROWNINYOURTEARS
MASKCHANCOMES

Then, 5 months later on (9/8/17) they added another image inside a new folder called 'Answer' added to the game files:

wyjWSWT.png

They're likely all connected to the new game/games.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yay for more awesome female characters. VHL was so good it pretty much guarantees I'll buy whatever these guys make next day 1.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
My GOTY of 2016. The soundtrack was dope and characters were amazing. And the fact that BRSxIgnition stole that avatar before I could use it makes me rage with envy.

Oct 25, 2017
Does VA-11 feature a sad/heartbreaking story? I'm tempted to try it cuz I love cyberpunk settings, but I don't want any sad stories in my life right now.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I really liked some bits of VA-11 HALL-A, and the overall feel of it, even if it was still disappointing to me.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does VA-11 feature a sad/heartbreaking story? I'm tempted to try it cuz I love cyberpunk settings, but I don't want any sad stories in my life right now.

There are some sad and melacholic moments here and there, but for the most part it's a feel good kinda thing

Seconded. Some of the stories you hear through the patrons of the bar are sad, but overall the game leaves you feeling good about helping them through their problems, even if just by listening.

It's all about hope, really.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Sick. VA-11 HALL-A was such a fantastic game. Honestly can't wait to see what they're working on next.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some sad and melacholic moments here and there, but for the most part it's a feel good kinda thing i'd say
Seconded. Some of the stories you hear through the patrons of the bar are sad, but overall the game leaves you feeling good about helping them through their problems, even if just by listening.
It's all about hope, really.
Feel good and hope... well that's exactly what I want in my life right now. Don't mind some sad stories if, overall the game is a feel good kinda thing. I bought it a few months ago cuz of its cyberpunk setting, gonna download it right now. Thanks!
There are definitely some sad moments in there but for the most part when they do come up the game focuses on overcoming them so it's overall a positive and hopeful experience.
Thanks!
It's mostly a very chill and relaxing experience from what I remember.
Things were very stressful for me around the time that the game came out, and it was a nice distraction.
Yeah, that's exactly the situation I'm in right now. Between fear of everything ending up far worse than our current situation cuz of the ongoing protests in my country and some personal problems, I won't say no to a relaxing game.
Thanks!

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'd seen them post a similar image to the above on their blog but I assumed it was just pulled from something else at the time. They weren't lying when they said their next big game would probably be surprising due to it's genre/graphics.

There are definitely some sad moments in there but for the most part when they do come up the game focuses on overcoming them so it's overall a positive and hopeful experience.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about that iPad port of VA-11 HALL-A? I've been waiting for so long and no one ever comments on it!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I had problems with some of the writing and characters in VA-11 Hall-A - especially in the latter half of the game - but overall I still really enjoyed the look and atmosphere of it, and look forward to seeing what they do next.
The soundtrack is phenomenal and I still listen to many tracks from it outside of the game.
I just hope that some of the writing and characterization is a bit more mature next time around.
It's mostly a very chill and relaxing experience from what I remember.
Things were very stressful for me around the time that the game came out, and it was a nice distraction.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had problems with some of the writing and characters in VA-11 Hall-A - especially in the latter half of the game - but overall I still really enjoyed the look and atmosphere of it, and look forward to seeing what they do next.
The soundtrack is phenomenal and I still listen to many tracks from it outside of the game.
I just hope that some of the writing and characterization is a bit more mature next time around.

They actually released a statement regarding that in reply to a critical but constructive review of the game, and it gives me hope that's exactly what we'll see.

I'll see if I can't find it.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the half-shitpost, but what's up with all these pseudo/"fake" japanese-style indie developers?

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
There were actually two updates with teases like this. One in April (4/25/17) with two images - the first called 'False Paradise' and the second called 'Menace':

CMtkYAp.jpg

ijg8BQH.png

The text on the bottom left also coincides with a fake save file called 'Heard in the Echo' added to the game in the update;

When decrypted using a Reverse-Additive cipher, it says:

Then, 5 months later on (9/8/17) they added another image inside a new folder called 'Answer' added to the game files:

wyjWSWT.png

They're likely all connected to the new game/games.

Resident Evil style game?

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No matter what, I really hope Garoad returns for the soundtrack.

I just hope that some of the writing and characterization is a bit more mature next time around..

Good news, then - this is their reply to the constructive yet critical review of the game 'Author Don't You Die On Me':

Sukeban Games said:
Love this post, every part of it.

Truth is, when we started the game we deemed it so specific and niche that we swore very few people would play it. And so, we just did whatever with the branding.

But somehow, the game started to get traction beyond our wildest projections, and our ideas somehow outgrew how we were selling them. But we were already too knee-deep into it to even think about changing things up.

You could also make an argument about our growing pains showing on the content, with the older stuff clashing with our newest skills.

But what we loved about this post is that the author feels like we can do much more, that we outgrew whatever little circle we put ourselves in.

And we're up to that task.

Because of this, I'm not too worried about them falling into the same issues with writing and characterization that VA-11 HALL-A might have had.

Resident Evil style game?

Quite possibly.

Judging by the teasing, it's quite possible that they're going for a psychological horror type game, or at least one that has tricks and twists.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh whatever this is, I need it NOW! VA-11 Hall-A was such a surprise hit for me, looking forward to whatever comes next!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, then - this is their reply to the constructive yet critical review of the game 'Author Don't You Die On Me':
Sukeban Games said:
Love this post, every part of it.

Truth is, when we started the game we deemed it so specific and niche that we swore very few people would play it. And so, we just did whatever with the branding.

But somehow, the game started to get traction beyond our wildest projections, and our ideas somehow outgrew how we were selling them. But we were already too knee-deep into it to even think about changing things up.

You could also make an argument about our growing pains showing on the content, with the older stuff clashing with our newest skills.

But what we loved about this post is that the author feels like we can do much more, that we outgrew whatever little circle we put ourselves in.

And we're up to that task.
Because of this, I'm not too worried about them falling into the same issues with writing and characterization that VA-11 HALL-A might have had.
Thank you for finding that review. It does a really good job of putting what I felt about the game into words.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's funny, because the section about the 3D models has a style that looks similar to the new PS1 low-res look of the screenshot teasers posted above.

3D Mode!
Every portrait can be SWITCHED to a cute 3D model of Dreamcast quality.

va11halla-switch-dorothy.jpg

Shame it's just an april fools joke.

Maybe it's an early test of the engine/look?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here are some new development screenshots, character sketches, and art for the next game, which currently has its reveal dated for Bitsummit (May 12th & 13th). (Click the image for the full album)

Doubt it. Pretty sure the model itself is fanart I saw on Polycount. I assume they asked him to render that face and made a fake screenshot with it.

It's now been confirmed that the modeler that made that Dorothy fan-art has been helping with this new title.