• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2019

While I don't think another Summer Game Fest was OFFICALLY announced for 2021, this Tweet along with Geoff Keighley's responses in the replies indicates it will be back for 2021.

I personally hated the concept. It was good in theory but it was WAY to drawn out. My hope is that it is contained to only a week around typical E3 time. I know COVID really fucked with everything last year but last years Summer Game Fest made me REALLY miss E3.

So, Era, are you excited it's coming back? Do you want to see any changes done to the format?

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely need to change up the concept a bit, it was way too drawn-out.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time remembering what the summer game fest actually was considering it stretched over 4 months and literally every other game company ran their event during it/alongside it.

The only major event I remember is Gamescom opening night

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Nah i just want E3 back. I was never one of those people who wanted E3 gone. I think having a big chunk of info in a short time frame wtih a more central schedule is a lot better than these sparse random moments we got last year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really missed E3 in 2020 but I also don't take for granted Geoff (and the whole team - I'm sure there was a lot of people!) stepping in at a moment's notice and making something happen for gaming during an unprecidented pandemic. They did a phenomenal job and I think we were all grateful for it.

Hoping that this year it'll be here alongside E3! Online E3 around it's typical time and then Geoff's Summer Game stuff throughout the Summer would be my preference.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
It was total garbage, but can't blame them considering the circumstances etc et

Would much prefer some kind of digital E3 that takes place for a week max.

OP
OP
Teapot Jeffries
Nov 2, 2019
Also, to be fair to Geoff, he is taking feedback.

I totally get the pandemic messed everything up, but this started in May and ended in August. It needs to be a week and not 4 months.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Oh god please no.
I loved how it sounded on paper, but in reality it was a bunch of nothing.
I really hope and they can get the important stuff on a small period of time, and the big "4 months" of the event for previews and interviews.
(Yeah, I understand that COVID fucked up pretty much everything, but I really hate how Geoff managed the "hype" and the announcements)

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the concept but it was too drawn out last year.

They should pick a month June/July and have announcments of a Tuesday and a Thursday all through that month.

Last year Covid caught everyone off guard but this year they have time to adapt.

As the tweet above said Geoff listens to feedback and make slight improvements with each attempt.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Since I only really keep up with Nintendo news. I don't think I recall much of summer Game Fest since I think they skipped it.

heard it wasn't well liked but I feel after an year of the pendemic, it might be easier to figure stuff out, maybe.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine it'll be condensed to take place over a month and it'll probably be June. I also think they'll get Nintendo to do something like a couple days of Treehouse that will have some announcements but mainly be showcasing key games in the Summer

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much just look at it as a 1 stop shop calendar for all the gaming news of the summer

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.webp

sorry Geoff.

OP
OP
Teapot Jeffries
Nov 2, 2019
Oh god please no.
I loved how it sounded on paper, but in reality it was a bunch of nothing.
I really hope and they can get the important stuff on a small period of time, and the big "4 months" of the event for previews and interviews.
(Yeah, I understand that COVID fucked up pretty much everything, but I really hate how Geoff managed the "hype" and the announcements)

The hype is my other main issue.

Geoff REALLY needs to reign it in when need be. Tech demos, developer interviews, old trailers, DLC, patches and ports were hyped WAY too much and he didn't really do anything to reign it in until people realized months into it what a mess it was.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but I like this spread out over a few months rather than a vomit of announcements in a few days so I'm looking forward to it coming back.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm in for it as long as it's a more condensed/composed of a few larger groups of reveals.

Which it seems like it might already be!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't really know what it was last year. I know it existed and I know I saw numerous things with the branding but I can't remember a thing about any of them. Hopefully that will be less of a problem this time around

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1-2 weeks at the most, with a proper schedule. yeah I know covid hurt this last year, hopefully this time it will be better.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
I liked the concept, the execution was very spotty but you gotta forgive them for the extraordinary circumstancws they tried to build this whole thing in. I'd expect a much better organized schedule this year.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Hope it will be a 1/2 week event and not 4 months like last year.

But we all know it will be 4 months like last year -_-