• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
GDQ
PCGamer Article

Week-long speedrunning marathon Summer Games Done Quick 2019 has drawn to a close after raising a staggering $3 million for charity Doctors Without Borders—nearly $900,000 more than it pulled in last year.

More than 2,600 people attended in person in Minneapolis, MN, and at its peak more than 156,000 were watching the event on Twitch. It's been heartening to see the stream, usually of an obscure game, lingering at the top of Twitch for the past seven days.
——————————-
Amazing job by these people. That's an insane amount of money.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heart-warming. Much props to all the people involved! I Iove how this event has evolved in recent years.

Looking forward to it twice a year now, catching some speedruns live while at work or before sleeping and then working through some interesting runs in the weeks after.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Good on them, figured they'd beat the old record when I went to bed, didn't expect it to be by that much.

Looking at the donation tracker, there was an insanely large flood of donations at around 2AM ET, wonder what triggered that.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they started coming down on all the toxic bullshit that forming around the event and all the toxic people started saying how this was going to be the end of GDQ?

Yeah how's that working out for ya?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch has a powerful effect on making people open up their pocketbooks, especially for charity but also just for streamers.

$3mil is remarkable. It's also coming from a population group that is probably unlikely to donate otherwise.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them, figured they'd beat the old record when I went to bed, didn't expect it to be by that much.

Looking at the donation tracker, there was an insanely large flood of donations at around 2AM ET, wonder what triggered that.
Usually see a large influx of donations around the finale, but THAT much is pretty remarkable.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the better GDQs in a while. Great runs all around.

Also can't wait for ESA, I'll be attending that one.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's really awesome, and a LOT of money. Didn't have a chance to tune in this time, but glad to see that it's continuing to grow.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Both AGDQ and SGDQ are awesome weeks and I'm sad when they are over. Even if you're not watching it intently it's still great to just have it on in the background or on a second monitor while you do other things just to hear the commentary, crowd reactions, donation messages, etc.

The amount of money they raise each year is just staggering. It's amazing to see each year.

It also might be the only large twitch chat that is not toxic as fuck, mostly because of the moderation, but it's still nice to see.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually donate more than once during the event; but that last push at the very end was just so exciting.

$3 million!!!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That was the point where people realized 3 million might be possible and started aiming for it

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What were the noteworthy runs? Missed most of it.
Punch Out Wii is widely thought to be the standout of the event.

I thought the Banjo-Kazooie 100% race was fantastic. Glover, Star Fox 64 and Bomberman 64 2 were great, so were the randomizer races, all the Mario runs (both rom hacks and full runs) and the Mega Man block.

Split/Second was worth watching, but probably not for the right reasons.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
amazing! AGDQ and SGDQ are two of my favorite times of the year, and it's so heart-warming to see how much they contribute to amazing charities by putting together these events.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017

Definitely a big chunk of people started donating once 3 million was in reach. Also right after the previous record was beaten, 2.42 million, they added in the money from twitch prime subscriptions and Yetee shirt donations that rocketed them up to around 2.8 million.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Didn't get to watch much this time round but glad to see it did really well.

One run I did catch was Tetris Effect which was mesmerising - a great run with good commentary from people the runner met during practice. He thought they were asking him interesting questions and invited them into the couch.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
What were the noteworthy runs? Missed most of it.
I didn't watch all that much this year. But out of the ones I saw RE2 for the Hunk mode was quite fun. It was a massive screw up but a beautiful trainwreck to showcase much RNG is in that mode. I also enjoyed the Silent Hill 3 run along with the Kingdom Hearts 3 speedrun but that's a recurring fan favorite tradition for the Disney covers. Pokemon Eevee was an informative one. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest was good if you like speedrunners improvising on the fly. Also, +1 to the blind Mario hack run and SMB3 all Forts run. Tetris Effect was also super informative.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an incredible moment to catch live on the way to $3mil during the finale of Chrono Trigger. Congrats to the team, the runners, and the donaters, best GDQ ever imo.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Somewhere on the Internet there are still bitter idiot hold outs who long for the days of AGDQ circa 2013 before it "sold out."

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

A personal favorite.

Absolutely incredible, insane run. The knowledge required for this is just staggering.

Somewhere on the Internet there are still bitter idiot hold outs who long for the days of AGDQ circa 2013 before it "sold out."

This event was better than the last one. It's worth pointing out when the format works and when it doesn't. The ultra-scripted segments of the last event were often difficult to watch. The more natural segments this time were on point.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love the positive energy and production values that go into it. Watching someone speedrun a game on Twitch does not appeal to me in the slightest but I'm always glued to the GDQs.